As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    *disclaimer* except for the JagdPanzer 4 which probably ties with the A-20 and 38NA for worst tanks in the game, and the JagdTiger which is probably one of the worst Tier 9s in the game. Despite having the best gun in the game, the JT is just a pile of crap, it's slow, and has laughable armor for its tier.

I honestly can't think of a single reason to want to proceed in the TD line past Tier 5. They seem like a massive waste of time no matter what nationality you go with after that tier. For all that effort, you could just get a heavy tank that has the same damn gun and way more armor.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Well, I see your point for most of the TD lines. The US lines have nice ones up to tier 7 between the two lines. The m18 is a tier 6 light tank with td cammo and a 90mm. The t25 is a more manuverable/lower profile JPanther, basically a t20 with a 105mm. The t25/2 on paper looks like a tier 7 pershing with a shitty turret, havent tried it yet.

beyond that its differnt, I bought a t28 three times now and I still think its a pile of crap. Just about too slow so you have to hope the enemy deciedes to have the fight in front of you. The trade off is thick front armor and wet paper everywhere else, and that front armor gets penned all the dam time any way. Usually I get about 3-4 shots off befor I am spotted and die withing a few seconds if the enemy is remotely compentent. The t95 gets frotn armor that actually works, but is even slower. t28p people say is a mutant6 with a better gun but slower and really vunlerable to arty. And the T30 is the same as its ever been but tier 9 now, so you're not so much of a liability to your team getting matched with actual tier 10s with what is basically a tier 7 tank with up tiered gun and HP.

I think the exception is the 704 though, looks like its a up scaled t25 or Jpanther, which were some of my favorite TDs.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, it's a shame that TDs aren't really worth the heavy investment but I'd be lying my face off if I didn't admit to them being stupidly hilarious in the early tiers. I keep a pimped out SU-76 around just because of how much god damn fun that little thing is.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I just downloaded this tonight, are there any referral / signing bonus's I could get anyone before I get too deep into this?

EDIT: Finished the tutorial, able to use chat channels etc now, but cannot find the PennyArcade one, is it only searchable when other people are online and in it? Does it need to be rejoined every session?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So I just downloaded this tonight, are there any referral / signing bonus's I could get anyone before I get too deep into this?

EDIT: Finished the tutorial, able to use chat channels etc now, but cannot find the PennyArcade one, is it only searchable when other people are online and in it? Does it need to be rejoined every session?

Join the clan WANG. It's not a clan fight clan (everyone who actually cared formed SIMP), just a clan for finding PA bros to do pub stomp platoons with and/or ram people in a spall liner equipped BT-2 (which everyone should try at least once, so fun). When I'm not at home I'm usually fucking around in WoT and down for a platoon.

DISCLAIMER: Playing with me should not be done if you actually want to get serious at this game. I'm not bad, but I definitely don't play to the level I know I'm capable of and tend to gear towards just having fun. I have been known to randomly ram tanks to death just because I think it'd be funny even if it does screw my tank up, for instance.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    What tank in the game doesn't have the depression to shoot a level target? :s

My T92 >_< I think the closest it can shoot is something like 20 or 30 meters.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Man all I know is that he fired two shots at me point blank and I was not hurt.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular

Man all I know is that he fired two shots at me point blank and I was not hurt.

If you are small enough, taller tanks can't aim down at point blank range. You have to be pretty tiny to pull it off, though. It's also effective if you're in something with hilarious turret armor like a T29. Just wiggle your turret to avoid people sniping into weak spots.

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular

What's your WoT name? I'll wing you an invite to the Jadgwangzers, or you can apply from that page.

I don't think the PA chat channel exists anymore, but as TOG said, the WANG clan is the place to be, unless you're into competitive play, they you want SIMP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    *disclaimer* except for the JagdPanzer 4 which probably ties with the A-20 and 38NA for worst tanks in the game, and the JagdTiger which is probably one of the worst Tier 9s in the game. Despite having the best gun in the game, the JT is just a pile of crap, it's slow, and has laughable armor for its tier.

I honestly can't think of a single reason to want to proceed in the TD line past Tier 5. They seem like a massive waste of time no matter what nationality you go with after that tier. For all that effort, you could just get a heavy tank that has the same damn gun and way more armor.

I no longer play regularly, so it may very well have changed, but the Jagdpanther (Tier 7) and SU-100 (Tier 6) are both excellent, very enjoyable, and if you prefer, inexpensive to operate. My record of 8 kills in a battle is held by both tanks, and I'm not a good player. They both have excellent handling qualities when fully upgraded, are pretty flexible despite their weak forward-facing armor, and have bouncing as good or better than the later tanks. With a little practice, you can actually get steel wall in a Jagdpanther with some effort (or, in my case, completely by accident when getting stuck on some terrain).

The Jagdtiger, on the other hand--I think there's a good case that it's the weakest of the three Tier 9 TDs. I don't mind it because it doesn't match the unpleasantness that was the Ferdinand (hint, this is when someone comes and defends the Ferdinand as being an awesome Tier 8 TD, so it can be added to the two above tanks), uses common components for the German TD tree (making it easier to research and upgrade) and the gun, sure enough, is pretty good. It's at least faster than the Ferdinand, but that's like saying it's faster than a continental drift.

If you don't like the slower TD gameplay, yeah, past the SU-100 and Jagdpanther, everything is quite slow, and I can understand not liking that gameplay. It's the same reason I pretty much hate every Heavy tank I've played thusfar.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Farleyman wrote: »

What's your WoT name? I'll wing you an invite to the Jadgwangzers, or you can apply from that page.

I don't think the PA chat channel exists anymore, but as TOG said, the WANG clan is the place to be, unless you're into competitive play, they you want SIMP.

I've finally made a "move" to the NA server. Though it's not as much of a move as it is moonlighting when I get tired of EU nonsense.
    Still driving tiers I-IV for now, but that's going to change fairly soon :D
    Gonna hit up the WANG!

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Synthesis wrote: »
    (hint, this is when someone comes and defends the Ferdinand as being an awesome Tier 8 TD, so it can be added to the two above tanks)

Pretty sure everyone knows by now you have terrible opinions.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    A duck! wrote: »
    (hint, this is when someone comes and defends the Ferdinand as being an awesome Tier 8 TD, so it can be added to the two above tanks)

Pretty sure everyone knows by now you have terrible opinions.

That'll do, Duck. That'll do.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I no longer play regularly, so it may very well have changed, but the Jagdpanther (Tier 7) and SU-100 (Tier 6) are both excellent, very enjoyable, and if you prefer, inexpensive to operate. My record of 8 kills in a battle is held by both tanks, and I'm not a good player. They both have excellent handling qualities when fully upgraded, are pretty flexible despite their weak forward-facing armor, and have bouncing as good or better than the later tanks. With a little practice, you can actually get steel wall in a Jagdpanther with some effort (or, in my case, completely by accident when getting stuck on some terrain).

The Jagdtiger, on the other hand--I think there's a good case that it's the weakest of the three Tier 9 TDs. I don't mind it because it doesn't match the unpleasantness that was the Ferdinand (hint, this is when someone comes and defends the Ferdinand as being an awesome Tier 8 TD, so it can be added to the two above tanks), uses common components for the German TD tree (making it easier to research and upgrade) and the gun, sure enough, is pretty good. It's at least faster than the Ferdinand, but that's like saying it's faster than a continental drift.

If you don't like the slower TD gameplay, yeah, past the SU-100 and Jagdpanther, everything is quite slow, and I can understand not liking that gameplay. It's the same reason I pretty much hate every Heavy tank I've played thusfar.

The SU-100 is ok but it definitely doesn't have the sheer hilarity of a 107 equipped SU-85. I could start to feel the TD line getting kinda "ehhhhh" with the SU-100.

My problem with the upper tier TDs is for all the hassle they are, you could just as easily get a heavy tank that has better armor/HP, a comparable gun, and the same speed (or even faster). TDs would be FAR more attractive if this weren't World of Heavy Tanks, but as it stands, they're not too terribly effective late game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ISU-152 gets the same gun as the IS-7. That's a tier 8 with a very large boomstick ...

Honestly, heavies aren't really comparable to TDs. They're just different. And lets be honest here, the T30 is the best example of this, as a previous heavy tank that feels much better as a TD.

• Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ISU-152 gets the same gun as the IS-7. That's a tier 8 with a very large boomstick ...

Honestly, heavies aren't really comparable to TDs. They're just different. And lets be honest here, the T30 is the best example of this, as a previous heavy tank that feels much better as a TD.

Hah, I wish the IS-7 got the same gun as the ISU. The ISU gets the same BL-10 as the Object 704, which packs a much bigger punch than the IS-7's S-70 (750 avg dmg vs 490). Most of the time TDs get a gun comparable for what heavy tanks get 1 tier lower than the heavy needs to be, in addition they get the sniper variant which gives it more accuracy and rate of fire. For example, the Ferdi gets the 12.8cm, doing 490 avg damage, at tier 8 when the best T8 heavy gun is the Premium T34's 120mm at 400 avg damage, and does so with much better accuracy and rate of fire.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Yeah the JagPanther is a blast, I only recently got mine, and am still rocking the first upgraded 88. I've had equal tier heavies hide behind me at time because I could bounce so well (and they could shoot over me). Hell, if you're top tier in a match you can push a front with it like a heavy (to some degree, given the lack of a rotating turret). It can also still damage higher tier heavies to some degree, and even hurt 'em quite well if you hit a weak point. It's a night/day difference to the POS jagpanzer I suffered through to get it. If the Ferdi is disappointing I may just stop here, it's a ton of fun.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    When I am in my e75, this is generally how I view the high tier TD.

Ferdi/JT/ISU/T30-can pen all these from the front fairly easily, if I have better cover I can usually kill them but can cause problems if the terrain favors them (hull down on all but the ISU for example). Only time they really screw me is when I have to advance on them with minimal cover and no spotters since my team is a bunch of morons than refuse to scout and instead camp and get picked off one by one. If they are focused on me and I can see them, can usually kill them if I am near full health, but not if I am at say 50% or cant spot them easily.

t28-too slow, with front armor nowhere near thick enough or gun strong enough to make up for it. Can pen from the front and they can bounce on me alot, not that it matters as its usually caught out of cover (being so slow) and flanked/artied to death.
    T95-even slower but actually has front armor that works, once spotted can usually be ignored/avoided and are too slow to to anything about it. Only really a problem when the map heavily favors its, its heavily supported by several teammates (almost never), or you have to fight it one on one and he is already facing you (which means you team has already failed horrible probably and the game is over anyway).

OBJ.704-hurts like hell like the ISU/T30/t95 but I cant pen the front reliably due to the slope/huge gun mantle. Fast enough that it can actually react to things unlike the T95. Other than the T95 this is the only one I avoid dueling if at all possible.

• Options
    edited May 2012

I think the comparison is unfair as well--especially for the German line, where TDs mount the next tier gun--except more accurate, faster reloading, and occasionally higher penetration.

The SU-85 with the 107 mm is indeed hilarious, but I personally maintain the SU-100 is a superior experience (with the 122 mm), simply because feels substantially more robust and flexible (that's more a criticism of the SU-85). I already had a StuG III, so keeping the SU-85 wasn't that much of an advantage--sure, I can very easily hurt tanks two tiers above me, but that's also true about the SU-100 at Tier 6. The SU-85's a great one-trick pony, but with its follow-up, I do feel as though I have more than a few different ways to play besides the obvious one.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    While I haven't driven any of them, I will say from playing against them that the Obj. 704 is probably the best TD for pub matches. The BL-10 combined with surprisingly bouncy armor (esp. for a Soviet TD) and decent maneuverability adds up to a pretty mean package.

• Options
    Thats why I am going to drop my t28 again and have started working on the Russian TD line. Up to the SU-152 now. On paper the 704 seems like a bigger Jpanther to me, with similar horsepower/ton to the IS3. Just with the tracks and first 122mm I like the SU152 more than my t28 (i know its a lower tier), just nice being able to actually react to things for once. The SU is no where near the t25 or JPanther so far without all its upgrades, but its still good, and I dont see the ISU playing that differntly. Just it gets the giant fuck you gun instead of a 175mm pen gun.

• Options
    Yeah, the 175mm penetration on the SU-152's top gun can be frustrating for a TD at tier 7. It has huge DPM, so when the circumstances are right it can be brutal, but sometimes you're left without a lot of good shots if you're facing stuff with much armor. I'm really not looking forward to grinding out 60k XP for the BL-10 with it on the ISU at tier 8. :-/

• Options
    Unfortunatly I think I am going to have to just deal with that grind, I dont think the derp gun is much of an alternative. Which is a shame as that thing is hilarious VS french tanks. One of the couple of games I tried it (HE only) I was facing down an alley between two train tracks. An AMX50 100 crossed the alley and I hit his side for about 80% dmg off of him or something rediculous like that. Right as I reloaded, a second AMX50-100 crossed and did the same thing to him befor some P4 charged me and got behind me. Luckly this thing could actually turn so after he had about two shots I got lined up and he exploded.

• Options
    I too have stalled on the SU-152 (with all guns unlocked, thankfully). It's not the sort of jarring jump from the Jagdpanther to the Ferdinand, but it's still pretty jarring from the SU-100.

• Options
    Funny, I stopped on the SU-152 also. That tank is the destroyer of souls.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    scarescare Registered User regular
    I stopped the American TD line at the T25 AT. I just can't see myself getting a T28 and liking it. Noquar likes it, but I hear he also finds polar bears sexy.

mister_fej.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I did okay with the SU-152 using the derp. It slightly out-experienced the JagPanther, but I did admittedly play that one first, and the HE changes probably neutered it as well.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    I did okay with the SU-152 using the derp. It slightly out-experienced the JagPanther, but I did admittedly play that one first, and the HE changes probably neutered it as well.

Eh, it still hits reasonably hard. I one-shotted an ISU-152 with it once - lucky frontal glaics penetration and a good damage roll I guess! But even non-penetrating hits against armored targets usually do 200-300 damage or so. Same as the KV derp, but with better ROF, accuracy, and aim time. Is that enough to make it a good choice at tier 7? Debatable, but it's at least a mostly-viable option if you really hate the 122mm.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm really learning to hate the MatchMaker for this game.

Beyond the fact that it has no controls for skill that I can tell, it absolutetly ignores tank tiers and weights when doing the matchups.

I get in a Tier 3 tank, most of my matchups are against Tier 4&5's. I get in a Tier 4 tank, most of my matchups are against Tier 5-7's. Also, driving an SPG or TD bumps you up a tier apparently. :/

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Beyond the fact that it has no controls for skill that I can tell, it absolutetly ignores tank tiers and weights when doing the matchups.

I get in a Tier 3 tank, most of my matchups are against Tier 4&5's. I get in a Tier 4 tank, most of my matchups are against Tier 5-7's. Also, driving an SPG or TD bumps you up a tier apparently. :/

Yeah, pretty much.
    The matchmaker doesn't get acceptable until you're at tier 8, and even then you often see tier 10's.
    Also it loves to put same tanks on the same team (e.g., putting 5 Type 59's on one team, and only 1 on the other) and putting 8 or more artillery pieces in a match.

Working as intended and all that.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much.
    The matchmaker doesn't get acceptable until you're at tier 8, and even then you often see tier 10's.
    Also it loves to put same tanks on the same team (e.g., putting 5 Type 59's on one team, and only 1 on the other) and putting 8 or more artillery pieces in a match.

Working as intended and all that.

I also like the times where you'll have 8 or more guys in platoons (say 3-5 platoons) on one team, and zero on the other. So one team is reasonably well coordinated, and the other is all pubs, so you invariably get steamrolled.

Considering that i rarely wait more than 10 seconds to get into a map these days, I really wish they'd drop the MM to a 2 tier spread instead of 3. A tier 6 can't do shit to a tier 9, especially when you're talking a med vs a heavy at that discrepancy. Hell my KV3 with HE can barely track a tier 9/10.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that it really needs to be better coordinated on a tank-by-tank basis. Some vehicles have absolutely no problems punching higher above their tier, and are often not fun to play against with lower tier tanks (much like the way the old KV was), while others struggle to even perform at their own tier. Many of the latter cases have been handled over time through assorted unlocks added to the tank (the T-44 is a great example of this, finally getting some punch with the LB-1), but others remain.

Reasonably, do I mind when my AMX 13 90 gets into a tier 10 match? Not really, because I know it's more than capable of helping out against tier 10 tanks. In contrast, it's a lot less fun when my M4A3E2 winds up in a predominantly tier 9 match. It's not that it can't contribute, but it's a very limited performance, and it's rarely enjoyable to play it. And that's a tank that's good for its tier bracket ...

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The matchmaker is why I love certain tanks like the glorious Russian T-28. Even if you get screwed by matchmaking that tank gives 0 fucks. My KV-13 so far seems to be the Tier 7 equivalent and I'm definitely loving it just as much.

The matching really is shit though. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete tosser.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MM is really why I have just stoped playing anything under tier8 pretty much. With those tanks the matches can only get so bad, and all of those tanks either have guns or speed to do something worthwild to what they face. And with premium even my highest tier tank (E75) almost always earns a profit. And I still have a lowe and t59 if I need cash.

Things like my sherman or M4E2 still make alot of money even with the profitability nerfs, but with the matches you get you are almost useless depending on what gun you chose for that match.

• Options
    I think the mid-high tiers have actually grown in population though. I feel like I'm getting a lot more t5-7 battles with my M4 now than I ever did when I originally ground through my KV almost a year ago.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My KV-1 and T-34/T-34-85 have been getting some pretty decent matches as well. I've only had a few where I ended up staring at a wall of tier 8s and 9s going "....really guys? Really?"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So I can research the GW tiger now. While I like the GW panther, I am not sure if its worth going any higher in the tree. So much of arty gameplay I feel is more just plain luck than skill most of the time, not sure if i could deal with that with slower guns lower accuracy and smaller traverse arcs. Its already fully aim and pray the game doesnt screw you and have the shell land two tank lengths outside the aiming circle.

• Options
    Big guns on arty are superfun though.
    No similar feeling in the world than seeing 900+ damage off a tank you hit, or 600+ damage off a tank you missed but your shell landed close to.

• Options
    Speaking of Arty, if you actually wanted to grind that tree out, which nation is the best for that? I tried the Russian ones and they got hideously terrible in a hurry :(.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Similarly, if I wanted to mess around with tank destroyers what would you chaps recommend? American seemed kind of near due to turretted destroyers.

This discussion has been closed.