As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tornado destroyed my house

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    holy christ

a mile?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tornadoes terrify me and I doubt I would ever willingly move to a place that frequently gets hit

glad to hear my favorite beaver is okay

natek on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly are your friends & fam ok?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sigh

guess this is going to whang me a bit

Seriously on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    natek wrote: »
    tornadoes terrify me and I doubt I would ever willingly move to a place that frequently gets hit

he is very clearly now a bieber

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The one thing I loved about hurricanes was the warning

I had days to get the fuck out of the state

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    holy christ

a mile?

Worst tornado storm in American history.

Last comparable event was in the 1970s.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    78 dead, mobile morgue requested in NW GA.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tornadoes are fucking scary holy cow

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    on the one hand, tomorrow I have to go to work and listen to my tinfoil-on-head crazy co-worker add this weather phenomenon to his 2012 doomsday portent list.

on the other, the fact that this is the only thing I can complain about is a ridiculous blessing.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

we have gotten in touch with most, and they are ok. There is one friend that tasty hasn't gotten a hold of yet.

Langly on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    natek wrote: »

he is very clearly now a bieber

a bieber beaver

nobody can be a full on bieber

natek on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    here is some video

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/video-of-the-tornado-in-alabama/

edit: and the aftermath, 15th street and macfarland is one of the major intersections of the city

http://www.twitvid.com/D1HNK

Langly on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    does tornado insurance cover it

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aw shit, spoke too soon. The little slivers of storm converged and the red bits are gonna sweep right on over us.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Red won't kill you, it sounds scary because it's OMG RED but that doesn't mean it's filled with buckets of tornadoes or whatever.

I'm getting sleepy so I think I'll try and sleep. Annie can put me in the bath tub if it gets bad (as long as I still have my pillow).

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »

we have gotten in touch with most, and they are ok. There is one friend that tasty hasn't gotten a hold of yet.

I hope you hear from them soon.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The one thing I loved about hurricanes was the warning

I had days to get the fuck out of the state

When I lived in Louisiana, it was just days of warning for my dad to half-ass board up windows on one side of our half of the ghetto duplex we lived in while my mom cussed him out for not finding a hotel room somewhere within a day's drive.

And one year taking me camping in the Ozarks while a hurricane was headed up, so we got caught in about 4 feet of rainfall in a shitty old tent.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    x0tv6g.jpg

TankHammer on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    holy christ

a mile?

They say it was 1.5mi by the time it was crossing I-65. Which was 30 miles away. Along the way, it wiped the town of Pleasant Grove off the map...you'll be seeing more reports from there tomorrow, I think. On the way out of AL, it did significant damage to the town of Piedmont. It then followed that up by doing some damage all across Georgia, and has just recently exited into North Carolina, still with a tornado warning on it.

Another storm in north AL wiped the town of Phil Campbell as well. Got some reports out of there before sunset, and it looked pretty horrific. Earlier storms caused significant damage to Cullman and Arab as well.

Also, Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in north AL had it's main utility lines cut by a different storm. No word on damage to the plant itself, but over 300,000+ homes (the entirety of Madison County at least) is without power until they can restore that link. That storm also took the shingles off my in-laws' house :P.

Part of the problem was that there was a round of storms this morning across MS and AL (the remnants from the storms in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas the night before) that knocked out power to significant portions of the state. This kept a lot of people from getting warned about the storms, and likely increased the fatality totals.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fucking hell, that video

you look at the twister and can almost feel it has some sinister malevolence

and it's hard to listen to the person taking the video too, they sound terrified.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Power's starting to go out in the city but the worst of the storm is gonna miss downtown.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    holy christ

a mile?

They say it was 1.5mi by the time it was crossing I-65. Which was 30 miles away. Along the way, it wiped the town of Pleasant Grove off the map...you'll be seeing more reports from there tomorrow, I think. On the way out of AL, it did significant damage to the town of Piedmont. It then followed that up by doing some damage all across Georgia, and has just recently exited into North Carolina, still with a tornado warning on it.

Another storm in north AL wiped the town of Phil Campbell as well. Got some reports out of there before sunset, and it looked pretty horrific. Earlier storms caused significant damage to Cullman and Arab as well.

Also, Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in north AL had it's main utility lines cut by a different storm. No word on damage to the plant itself, but over 300,000+ homes (the entirety of Madison County at least) is without power until they can restore that link. That storm also took the shingles off my in-laws' house :P.

Part of the problem was that there was a round of storms this morning across MS and AL (the remnants from the storms in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas the night before) that knocked out power to significant portions of the state. This kept a lot of people from getting warned about the storms, and likely increased the fatality totals.

I worked in Phil Campbell for two years, I just heard about this from my dad.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Red won't kill you, it sounds scary because it's OMG RED but that doesn't mean it's filled with buckets of tornadoes or whatever.

I'm getting sleepy so I think I'll try and sleep. Annie can put me in the bath tub if it gets bad (as long as I still have my pillow).

I think I'm going to try to follow your lead.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Right now for ATL they're saying falling trees are the biggest risk.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Munkus, you are a champion.

Also, family in the areas being hit. Oh my oh my :(

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

Thanks for the reassurance Sara. Sleep tight!

In other news, it's already started:
    Catoosa County authorities were trying to get to a 4-month-old who was dependent on life support equipment but was in danger because there was no electricity to run the machine, according to radio transmissions. At the same time, onlookers had begun gathering around houses that were damaged and empty. “We’ve got a lot of devastation and a lot of young people out just looking around and the next thing you know we have looting,” one rescuer said.

Fucking cut that shit out you inbred fucks!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    holy christ

a mile?

I think the 1974 outbreak was worse overall, but for MS and AL specifically this is worse. Definitely one of the worst since 1974, though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

That's the biggest downside to number of trees we've packed into our urban areas.

Well, second biggest after the pollen problem.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    holy christ

a mile?

Really?

78 Is getting up there, but 144 Fatalities is still topping that by a wide margin.

Stupid town never rebounded economically from that Tornado.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I seriously can't imagine how fucked up you have to be to rummage through the house of someone who just got hit with a tornado for free loot. Fuck's sake.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit I didn't even see that one on the list in wikipedia.

Holy fuck that tops the Waco one.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    edit

Aeyther on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    edit

Aeyther on
  • Options
    TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What sort of rummaging? Food and such or are people honest to God taking TVs while the sky swirls around them?

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    holy christ

a mile?

Really?

78 Is getting up there, but 144 Fatalities is still topping that by a wide margin.

Stupid town never rebounded economically from that Tornado.

Things were way worse fatality-wise in the pre-Doppler era. If this event took place back then, we'd probably be looking at several hundred dead.

Also, there are still a lot of people missing in AL...probably won't get a good count until daybreak.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I seriously can't imagine how fucked up you have to be to rummage through the house of someone who just got hit with a tornado for free loot. Fuck's sake.

Honestly? If you're the kind of person who sees a person's home evacuated or damaged by a serious weather emergency and your response is to loot it, I fucking hope it collapses on you.

No hyperbole. No qualifier. I hope you are seriously injured or killed for being an outrageous fucking asshole.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Munkus Beaver: continuing to spit in the Grim Reaper's eye.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

That's the biggest downside to number of trees we've packed into our urban areas.

Well, second biggest after the pollen problem.

They seem to think that this will blow over fast with severe wind.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Honestly? If you're the kind of person who sees a person's home evacuated or damaged by a serious weather emergency and your response is to loot it, I fucking hope it collapses on you.

No hyperbole. No qualifier. I hope you are seriously injured or killed for being an outrageous fucking asshole.

They're the kinda dumb idiotic asshole people that will die because they get murdered in jail before they're 20 so it all works out in the end.

Oghulk on