As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] Game of Thrones, presented by HBO - NO BOOK DISCUSSION.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One scene I've really dug thus far is the scene at breakfast with Tyrion, Cersei, Jamie and the Lannister children.

More than any other scene it added some depth to Tyrion. So far we've seen him reading, whoring and drinking. Even his scenes with John do very little to establish him as anything other than clever. The way he interacted with the younger Lannisters was great.

One question I have that deals with the book spoilers (only book 1)
    So where is Jons direwolf?

Listening to the westeros podcast, they pointed out
    Ghost is there, in the establishing shot before Jon and Tyrion's scene. About the 27 minute mark.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really enjoying the series so far. Enjoyed it so much that I got the first book after watching the first episode.

Also, this:
    youtube wrote:
    Awesome cover of the intro music

Man, you ain't kiddin'.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I watched the second episode last night; one thing that really stood out to me was how great an actress Lena Headey is. She always seems so nice in interviews, I wasn't sure I could muster the appropriate amount of hate toward her in character. But everything about her portrayal of Cersei - the way she speaks, that smug little 15-degree head tilt she always does - makes me rage. So well done Lena Headey :^:

Nechriah on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So i have finished book one and watched the first 2 episodes. I found a screen snafu
    What happened to Ghost, Snow's dog? The scene where Jon and Ned were separating on the road... Ghost was not there. Then one scene later Ghost is chillen but does not do anything... are they writing ghost out of this show or something or does he show up in episode 3?

So far i really like the show, but i cannot help but think of Rome the series and how it only lasted 2 seasons. I hope this holds on and that Martin finishes the series, eventually.

edit: i see this has been brought up before by others, never mind

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Indeed. Ghost is...well, they call him Ghost for a reason.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The wolves commonly move outside of human traveling groups to hunt, socialize with other wolf packs, etc. They're sort of mythical, so it's not really sure what their deal is.
    Like we saw with Bran's wolf in the last episode.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    More I imagine having a bunch of well trained acting wolves/dogs/halfbreeds of whatever type they're using as dire wolf is not the easiest thing so unless they're necessary to be in a shot (like tearing out the throat of an assassin, or attacking a little shit), they'll be... around. And then even with their huge budget, I'm not sure how frequently they can insert CGI wolves in when they're too big to be played by a still living breed/species. As dire wolves got fairly large. 5 feet, 250 pound average.

EDIT: Assuming of course, that GRRM's dire wolf is the historical North American dire wolf.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I'm assuming the dead one is about as big as they get in the series.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing is, there is going to have to be quite a bit of CGI as the series goes on for certain characters and for the white walkers especially. I just think in the case of the wolves, they were trying to cut costs by not having them appear in every scene.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the series so far. Enjoyed it so much that I got the first book after watching the first episode.

Also, this:
    youtube wrote:

Man, you ain't kiddin'.

very Dream Theater

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I watched the first two episodes today, and I like the show so far, having never read the books. I might be streets behind in this, but Dragon Age borrowed a fair amount from this series, correct?

I am hella sad though that:
    006 killed Lady and didn't let her go, who cares if King Tesco's incest wife demands it.

Please say the other wolves live in the series

TexiKen on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait and see!

I'm really impressed at how that scene had resonance with people, I wasn't expecting it would given how little lead in we had with the wolves. I really hope there's an extended DVD cut of this show.

override367 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait and see!

I'm really impressed at how that scene had resonance with people, I wasn't expecting it would given how little lead in we had with the wolves. I really hope there's an extended DVD cut of this show.

Exciting times ahead. 8-)

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Also, this:

This is a massive improvement to the very uninspired original.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The biggest takeaway I had from this episode is how absolutely perfect the casting is. Syrio Forel is the standout for this episode, but Varys was a close second.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tonight's episode: Wow.

When they said it gets better starting with episode 3, they weren't kidding.
    Littlefinger was awesome.
    As was Syrio.

As was Old Nan ( :( )

EDIT: Yoren, too.

I loved most of the new scenes, too, and there seemed to be a lot of them. They were used well.

I can't wait for next week. The tourney will be awesome.

Book stuff through this episode:
    Wasn't Dany the one who told Viserys to walk in the book?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Just a reminder to everyone before things get too busy that this is the SHOW thread. If you want to compare things from the books and show, please have that discussion in the book thread.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wasn't sure about Robert but I'm beyond sold on him now. His war story switching into bitter anger was phenomenal

override367 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wonderful tonight. My parents who neither have read the book are getting really into it.My dad now hates all Lanisters but Tyrion. So they are doing something right there. And the casting was perfect. Littlefinger fit in my mind perfectly. Looked almost identical of my mental image of him.

I am excited, can't wait for the next few episodes.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arya remains my favorite character. The Syrio Forel scene was awesome too.

The Arya actress is nailing it, IMO.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Arya remains my favorite character. The Syrio Forel scene was awesome too.

The Arya actress is needling it, IMO.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When the episode ended both my mom and sister went
    "thats it? No one died or nothing horrible happened?"

I guess they were used to the ending of the episodes having had something bad happen like Bran getting pushed out of the window and Lady dieing.

I found the ending of the episode really good, <3 Arya

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The scene where Jaime talks about the justice of killing the Mad King is interesting considering tonight's real world events.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still loving this, still dealing with confused co-viewers.

And man, that opening...I really think it might be one of my favorite television openers ever.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Casting remains excellent. Think Littlefinger is slightly too tall but conveys the right attitude.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think my favorite scenes were the old lady talking about the coming winter and robert griping and war stories. Interesting idea that bran is a 'summer child' and so doesn't know true suffering.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Robert's war story should have been a different one along the same lines, wonder why they didn't use it and went with first-kills.

Syrio was pretty good as has been said. The way Ned was smiling then it transitioned to actual fighting sounds and he lost his good mood was a nice touch too.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing is, there is going to have to be quite a bit of CGI as the series goes on for certain characters and for the white walkers especially. I just think in the case of the wolves, they were trying to cut costs by not having them appear in every scene.

This.

Lets not whitewash this thing by saying there are creative reasons for the lack of wolves - they are clearly cutting down the presence of the direwolves by very large quantities.

The main motivation must be cost or difficulty in training. The books didn't have them "out hunting" they had the wolves by the side of the characters most constantly.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I understand the need to cut costs and keep the wolves to a minimum but at the same time it seems like the Starks aren't as Stark-y without their wolves constantly by their side.

Especially Rob and Jon.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd imagine the wolves will be more prominent in episodes to come. During the early rapid growth period it would take a whole mess of trained dogs to convey each stage in their growth.

override367 on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    RT800 wrote: »
    I understand the need to cut costs and keep the wolves to a minimum but at the same time it seems like the Starks aren't as Stark-y without their wolves constantly by their side.

Especially Rob and Jon.

Oh, I agree completely. The lack of wolves is very aggravating. I just don't think the "well the wolves hunt outside the convoy, so it makes sense you aren't seeing them" should take root.

It doesn't make sense in the context of the source material, and the only reason we aren't seeing them more are practical limitations. Pretending otherwise is dishonest.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Having read the book and knowing the lines the actors are supposed to say and emotions they're supposed to convey really gives a more textured view of what they're doing. And I gotta say, the guy doing Robb is pretty good. Not, "he's my favorite" type of good because I like everybody from Tyrion to Yoren more as a pure character pick in book and show, but the actor is just doing really good job of acting.

Hoz on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Tonight's episode: Wow.

When they said it gets better starting with episode 3, they weren't kidding.
    Littlefinger was awesome.
    As was Syrio.

As was Old Nan ( :( )

EDIT: Yoren, too.

I loved most of the new scenes, too, and there seemed to be a lot of them. They were used well.

I can't wait for next week. The tourney will be awesome.

Book stuff through this episode:
    Wasn't Dany the one who told Viserys to walk in the book?

To answer your last question, yes. And I hate line-switching. Loved the episode though.

That said, I understand that this is the TV show thread, so we shouldn't be talking about A Feast for Crows in here, but are 1:1 comparisons really not okay? That seems awfully restrictive.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Excellent episode to say the least. I loved the bit with Syrio and Arya of course. I was also pleasantly surprised by their casting choice for Lord Mormont. I always pictured James Cosmo as Jeor Mormont whenever I read the books.

Overall, the cast is doing a great job with the characters. I'm really digging Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's portrayal of Jaime.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find it amazing that this guy

(non-spoiler)
    robert-baratheon-game-of-thrones-19738190-1280-720_595.jpg

is also this guy

stil_cast_main.jpg

because I'd have never figured that out myself

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Episodes are getting better and better, the interactions between some of the characters were just electric. A little iffy that some book elements are being downplayed a lot, mainly
    the link between the children and their wolves, Bran's dreams

but other than that it's kicking ass.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just watched this week's episode, and I have to say, WOW!

Didn't imagine Syrio to be as, what's the word I'm looking for, flamboyant, but I love it.

Also, I imagined Littlefinger and Varys as each other, oh well...I'm odd.

Loved the entire episode, especially when that Dothraki used the whip on Viserys.

Nytewarrior on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I loved
    The look in Robert's eyes when Jaime told him Aerys' last words.

PaperFootball on
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I keep writing these posts that are blank except for a spoiler box so I always decide not to. I wrote that just so this box would not be blank except for a spoiler box. ...And that.
    The scene between Jaime and Ned in the throne room was fantastically done. Every scene with Jon and Tyrion is equally amazing. Also, every scene with Tyrion period is amazing

It does bug me a bit that they took the command that Viserys walks behind the group away from Dany. It was a fairly important indication that she was finally coming into her own and escaping her brother's leash.

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Excellent third episode. It's funny how this show switches between:

Starks - Lord of the Rings: Post Mortem
    Lannisters - Gossipy Incestuous Girl: The Real Kings Landing
    Targaryens - My Little Pony: X-Rated

Distram on
This discussion has been closed.