As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The epic conclusion of the worldwide phenomenom

2»

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just a black 10-incher
    Nothing special

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    People who complain about the quality of writing in young adult fiction

Listen Eragon is crap I don't care who the target audience is

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so excited

may marathon the earlier movies in advance, but the first two are just so meh

someone come with me to the wizarding world of harry potter

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

And then there are the people that think Harry Potter should be part of college level literature courses.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I dunno, whenever I hear someone say "the writing was awful" or similar I tend to imagine them as a hipster in a black turtleneck smoking on a barstool, drinking cheap wine, and wondering why nobody wants to publish their screenplay. Then again, my chosen profession is engineering, where communicating abstract or complex ideas quickly, clearly, and efficiently is the primary purpose of writing.

i am choking on all the smugness in this post

Squall on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

And then there are the people that think Harry Potter should be part of college level literature courses.

Well, if they can offer courses on the Matrix, Lady Gaga, and other stuff.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Squall wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I dunno, whenever I hear someone say "the writing was awful" or similar I tend to imagine them as a hipster in a black turtleneck smoking on a barstool, drinking cheap wine, and wondering why nobody wants to publish their screenplay. Then again, my chosen profession is engineering, where communicating abstract or complex ideas quickly, clearly, and efficiently is the primary purpose of writing.

i am choking on all the smugness in this post

s4kXP.jpg

Goose! on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm coming off as the "angry at popular things" guy and I don't even really dislike HP.

I just

I dunno

I'm going to go lie down.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay I love Harry Potter. I read the books, all 7 of them, in the span of less than 2 weeks. But yeah, the writing isn't the best. I'm not gonna call it bad, but she relies way too heavily on cliche and deus ex machinas.

That said, again, I freakin love Harry Potter.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    It's funny that I only said that because the OP said that someone would and now two pages of debate have ensued.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The writing quality in Harry Potter is, actual prose quality-wise, pretty great for someone who had never really written anything before. The plot is also pretty incredible. For people under 16, its pretty much perfect (as someone who read the entire series starting at 5 and ending at 14). Compared to Twilight and Eragon, it may as well be god tier. Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events is still the 2000s kids book series with the best writing style, however.

Also, JK Rowling's writing got much better. It's especially notable when you read the epilogue of the final novel after reading the seventh book.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Just a black 10-incher
    Nothing special

jesus fuck the voice here is obnoxious

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The writing in Harry Potter is terrible.

She knows how to weave a story and make people care about her characters. It's more than I can say about Twilight.

Oh. Well, then. Carry on!

Looking forward to the finale, and the epilogue.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The writing quality in Harry Potter is, actual prose quality-wise, pretty great for someone who had never really written anything before. The plot is also pretty incredible. For people under 16, its pretty much perfect (as someone who read the entire series starting at 5 and ending at 14). Compared to Twilight and Eragon, it may as well be god tier. Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events is still the 2000s kids book series with the best writing style, however.

Also, JK Rowling's writing got much better. It's especially notable when you read the epilogue of the final novel after reading the seventh book.

Those books made no sense

ever

Oghulk on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    It's funny that I only said that because the OP said that someone would and now two pages of debate have ensued.

I'm not debating.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm masterdebating.

Bloods End on