As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Labor disputes will not stop the draft! [NFL]

2»

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm starting to have flashes of the 'hawks picking Mallett. I guess it's late enough in the second that a guy with that kind of cannon is a good value but....ugh.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bears take Stephen Paea; he's the guy that set a record at the combine for most bench-presses. 49 reps of 225 pounds.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    Bears take Stephen Paea; he's the guy that set a record at the combine for most bench-presses. 49 reps of 225 pounds.

Great pick. He was projected 1st round until he hurt his knee at the Senior Bowl.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, glad to see that guy out of the Pac-10 he's a monster.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. So now Detroit and Chicago got bigger and scarier on defense.

The Packers, in response, have taken an offensive lineman with their one pick so far.

The Vikings, in response, took an injury-concerned QB and a TE.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My theory is that the Zygi has a goal of making the team the worse to the point where moving them results in Minnesota reacting with a hearty "good fucking riddance" :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Randall Cobb. As if Rodgers didn't have enough toys.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chargers took Shareece Wright, CB, USC, with the 89th pick.

He spent 2008 red-shirted due to injury.
    He spent 2009 academically ineligible.

He was drafted in the third freaking round. Into a locked-out NFL.

This will end well.

Gosling on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OT is nice, but I would have liked to see the pats get DE or an LB. Kinda wasted a pick on a RB in my opinion.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love the Giants draft thus far. Hopefully they address LB and O line in free agency, when that happens.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, you may have seen this already, because of what network's airing the draft, but this is really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFjCVAERUY

Gosling on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Temporary stay on the lockout is granted. We are re-locked out.

The crowd doesn't look to have responded well to that.

Which means, because the barely-undrafted players won't be able to field calls from 5-6 teams and get to pick their situation like they usually do, and have no teammates to contact, and just generally have no lifeline to the league to hang onto whatsoever until the lockout ends for good, Mr. Irrelevant now becomes the dividing line between NFL and UFL.

My high-school best friends' brother (great way to start a story, I know) was an undrafted FA a few years ago and had his pick between a couple teams before deciding on the G-Men. Because he got to pick the right place with the right coach and system for his play style, he made the team and is generally productive.

He's started a few games the past few years because of injury to others, and is considered one of their top (if not top) STers, so I know how important contact between teams and UFA's are after the draft. It really sucks for those guys and significantly harms their chances of making a team.

/also, kinda meh about the Bengals taking AJ Green. WR's are a fickle thing in the top of the draft, especially given we may be starting a rookie QB (Dalton).

Assuran on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited April 2011
    Everybody's a risk at the top of the draft. All you can do is draft talent and hope it pans out (or trade out if you can find someone dumb enough to do it). I'm more worried about starting a rookie QB right from day one on a dysfunctional team with pass protection issues. Hard to develop any other skills but "OH GOD THEY'RE COMING!" in that situation.

Still, Godspeed, Carson, Godspeed.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everybody's a risk at the top of the draft. All you can do is draft talent and hope it pans out (or trade out if you can find someone dumb enough to do it). I'm more worried about starting a rookie QB right from day one on a dysfunctional team with pass protection issues. Hard to develop any other skills but "OH GOD THEY'RE COMING!" in that situation.

Still, Godspeed, Carson, Godspeed.

See: Tim Couch, Kelly Holcumb, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn.

Having said that, I'm guardedly pleased with the Browns draft so far this year. I really like the Falcons trade for shear number of picks that we acquired. As far as actual players go, I think they've done a good job of building depth so far. It'd be nice to be adding elite talent to the roster, but with a draft class that's thin at the top and thick through the middle I think depth is the right choice this year.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    With a pair of fourth-rounders, the Eagles take ILB Casey Matthews of Regon (Clay's brother)... and a kicker, Alex Henery of Nebraska.

Kicker in the fourth, folks. Yep, nobody's gonna steal that kicker from you, no sirree bob.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Browns take Owen Marecic of Stanford. He plays fullback.

He also plays linebacker.

I mean, we had Deion Sanders, but that guy played in the backfield where there wasn't as much contact. Marecic's knee-deep in the shit.

Gosling on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    he'll play special teams and probably a lot more linebacker than fullback since the Browns run a west coast offense.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ... and a kicker, Alex Henery of Nebraska.

Kicker in the fourth, folks. Yep, nobody's gonna steal that kicker from you, no sirree bob.

Fuck you, I wanted him in Detroit. :(

Bobble on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I guess that was a thing.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why Arizona sucks, in a nutshell.

Whiz drafts Virginia Tech RB Ryan Williams, says one of the reasons for the pick is that Williams hasn't fumbled in 2 years. Mentions a particularly outstanding effort from Williams vs North Carolina in 2009. Williams' ESPN profile indeed shows 0 fumbles.

His CBS Sports profile, OTOH, shows 6 fumbles in 2 years. And a quick google search of Ryan Williams Fumbles turns up:
    BLACKSBURG — Ryan Williams sat dejected on Virginia Tech’s bench as North Carolina’s players celebrated wildly on the Lane Stadium field.

Williams, the 14th-ranked Hokies’ star tailback, lost a fumble deep in Tech territory with two minutes left in the fourth quarter, and Casey Barth kicked a 21-yard field goal as time expired to give the Tar Heels a 20-17 upset win Thursday night.
    http://www2.wsls.com/sports/2009/oct/30/hokies_stand_behind_ryan_williams_after_4th_quarte-ar-369998/

tl;dr - The head coach of the Arizona Cardinals is "scouting" players by looking up their stats on ESPN.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Title should be "NFL Draft won't stop Labour Disputes", stupid lockout being reinstated.
    OTherwise, Bills pickups were good, hopefully their defence is better than a wet paper bag this season.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just for fun, using Yahoo's page and the rankings they took from Pro Football Weekly, I present the top ten players not drafted... and the bottom 10 that were. Included are the players' rankings out of the 934 ranked prospects. (The worst prospect: Mitchell Evans, strong safety, Indiana.)

TOP 10 NOT DRAFTED
    114- Joe Lefeged, SS, Rutgers
    135- Jeron Johnson, SS, Boise St.
    136- DeAndre McDaniel, SS, Clemson
    143- Nick Bellore, ILB, Central Michigan
    145- Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon
    151- Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn
    154- Zach Hurd, G, Connecticut
    155- Alez Linnenkohl, C, Oregon St.
    158- Kendrick Burney, CB, North Carolina
    160- Cedric Thornton, DT, Southern Arkansas

BOTTOM 10 DRAFTED
    562- Mistral Raymond, FS, South Florida (6th round, Minnesota)
    563- Richard Gordon, TE, Miami (FL) (6th round, Oakland)
    581- Jacquian Williams, OLB, South Florida (6th round, New York Giants)
    597- Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming (4th round, Jacksonville)
    701- Johnny Culbreath, T, South Carolina St. (7th round, Detroit)
    708- Markell Carter, DE, Central Arkansas (6th round, New England)
    709- Jimmy Wilson, CB, Montana (7th round, Miami)
    741- David Ausberry, WR, USC (7th round, Oakland)
    823- Andrew Gachkar, OLB, Missouri (7th round, San Diego)
    889- Tommie Campbell, SS, California (7th round, Tennessee, only a few picks prior to Mr. Irrelevant)

It should be noted that the bottom 10 are so far down the list that you could have held a second draft of the same length, immediately after the first one, and the bottom 10 still would not have been projected to be taken by anyone. Gachkar and Campbell were projected to be able to go through a THIRD draft without hearing their name.

Cheta Ozougwu, Mr. Irrelevant? Ranked 328. Wasn't projected to go, but not nearly the reach the bottom 10 were.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jimmy Wilson was in prison for a year or so so I can see why he was rated so low. Kinda weird that he's not rated lower...unless of course all the others below him were in prison as well.

Shawnasee on