As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planning a Quilt

JostenJosten EconomistAlaskaRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hello fellow Penny Arcade Forumers,

For probably years now I have been tossing back and forth the idea of making a quilt that was in some way connected to the games I enjoyed playing (mainly as a child). I have seen some similar notions online, simply search for "zelda quilt" where they make squares the colors of the pixels and it looks really neat. However, that really only works for NES level graphics. Anything past that and there is just too many pixels to make something reasonably sized.

I decided to go about it differently so that I could have a greater variety of characters and still hold the quilt to a decent size. Since the image is rather large and I would rather not get an infraction on my first post in the forums I put the image in a spoiler. Questions related to the image below the image itself.
Quilt.png

I am hoping that although simplified fellow nerds/geeks would be able to identify most if not all of the represented characters/places/games that I pulled from in the layout. I was also looking for input about how they are all arrayed, if there are similar characters that people think should be added, and any other comments in regards to my plan really.

XBL: Politeriate PSN: jsjgw2 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Josten
Josten on

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I kind of think you should switch to a black background so that you can shove Pong and Spacewar! in.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can tell what everything is, but isn't the guy in the green with red hair (far left) from chrono trigger?

Is the quilt FF themed or square themed?

ninjai on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can make everything out fine.
    ninjai wrote: »
    I can tell what everything is, but isn't the guy in the green with red hair (far left) from chrono trigger?

Is the quilt FF themed or square themed?

Neither, as that's the triforce at the bottom.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I assume Square (there's a Lavos Spawn, too)

melting_doll on
  • Options
    JostenJosten Economist AlaskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I guess I never realized how much of a Square (Enix) fanboy I was as a child. The theme of the quilt really is just the games I enjoyed the most as a kid.

So is the only thing not created by Squaresoft or Enix the triforce?

Josten on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What did you have in mind as far as implementing this design? Are you going to applique all of the characters? Have you made a quilt before?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It would definately not be my first quilt. Opening the spoiler shows some, but not all of my previous projects. This would just be my first one directly inspired by video games.

Paper Piecing
    Bright.jpg
    Quilt-SmallerImage.jpg
    bellabella.jpg
    FallinFlight.jpg

Normal Piecing
    NorthernLights.jpg
    runner.jpg
    Quilt4.jpg
    Quilt2.jpg
    bigquilt.jpg
    image001.jpg
    clock.jpg

Applique
    Fireweed.jpg
    rockgarden.jpg

I would either do normal applique or fusible applique(like the fireweed I have done before). The one that looks like northern lights is using a similar method to other video game quilts you see online. That idea really isn't feasible with multiple characters though. The mana beast alone would be around 9 - 10 feet tall if you had each pixel equal a square inch.

Josten on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Everything would be with either normal applique or using fusible backing to apply them to the background.

I have done quite a few quilts before - including applique - I tried to post them but it might have been too big and got axed, not sure.

Josten on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Those are some cool quilts. Keep us posted!

lyrium on