As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exploring a Titan Silo - awesome, I've always wanted NIGHTMARES FORVER

BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
Back in the middle of April I finally got my chance to do something I've been meaning to do for a looooong time. About 45 minutes east of Denver is a tiny town called Deer Trail, and in the middle of this rural area is an abandoned Titan 1 missile silo. Missile silos are kind of hot spots out here, all the cool kids tell you about them and all the really cool kids have been to them. There's one up near Greeley that is preserved and can be toured, there's another north of Fort Collins that is owned by a data storage company. For the most part they are kept under lock and key, buried and welded shut. But the Deer Trail silo is pretty accessible - if you can your car parked in a location that won't lead cops or residents to think you're UrbExing nearby, and if you can make it to the silo and down into the pit without your flashlights being seen or without tripping and breaking your goddamn leg, you're golden.

Missile_Silo_001.jpg

So you get there, you get your gloves and coats and stuff, you tell your friends to shut the fuck up, and you walk to where one of the underground rooms was excavated because it was leaking something into the ground. Do you see the vertical shaft in the middle of the picture above, that's the service elevator. The big hole is pretty much right next to that. The hole hasn't been filled in, so it's just a matter of walking down this little cliff and entering the metal tunnel that connects to the rest of the complex. You enter right between the elevator and the power house.

This is pretty much the first thing you see:
IMG_3191.jpg
This is where all the generators for powering the entire place were situated. Everything was mounted on springs on the floor, shock absorbers for obvious reasons. My pictures are pretty.... well they are super-novice. I just had a point-and-shoot and I used the flash so I could go home and see EVERYTHING that I could not see with the flashlight. I fully intend on revisiting and doing some more artful and realistic photography soon.

That said, you need to understand that, while exploring this place, I didn't see NEARLY as much as what is shown in the photos. It is darkness unlike anything you've ever experienced (unless you're a caver) and you only see what is right in front of you. Often, details will only be seen in your pictures, long after you've left.

Moving on, this is a large doorway that leads to the control center and tunnels connecting the silos themselves.
silo1.jpg

Shit, sorry, backtracking. This is the ceiling of the power house.
silo1a.jpg

The elevator shaft. Probably the "cleanest" part of the entire complex, as it was used as recently as 10 years ago to get all the final shit cleaned out.
silo1b.jpg

More connecting tunnels. These are sort of like KNEX junction pieces, joining several tunnels in one area. Diesel tanks and shit hanging from the ceiling. Who needs stalactites when you have rusty springs ready to stab you in the eyes?
silo1c.jpg

Another view of the junction.
IMG_3125.jpg

A burned couch. I don't know either. Could be original, or maybe someone was chilling down here?
silo1d.jpg

silo1e.jpg

silo1f.jpg

This is what the majority of the silo becomes. Floor grates have been pulled, so you have to walk on the ground and hop over the empty supports. Like rusty, nasty hurdles. Or you can walk along the beams and risk slipping.
silo1g.jpg

This is the part that REALLY SUCKS. Balancing acts over standing water. Not my favorite thing.
silo2.jpg

silo3.jpg

See, this is what I was talking about earlier. I had no idea what was written on that wall because I couldn't see it. I was just trying to take a picture of my friend because she got herself stuck way out away from the walls and was having trouble moving her feet.
silo4.jpg

When the ground isn't covered in wreckage, or several feet of standing water, it's covered with this.
silo5.jpg
Imma frow up.

Words of welcome.
silo6.jpg

Behold, one of the actual silos! That's about a 40 foot drop to the water and there's probably 70 feet of silo under that. This is the part that gives me nightmares when I'm wide awake - the notion of falling into that water (probably some fuel and other liquids in there, god how many visitors have peed in there?) and having to be in the cold darkness for an hour or more as your friends work their way back to the surface to call for help.
silo7.jpg

Looking straight across the silo.
silo8.jpg

Doors at the top, weighing about 115 tons each.
silo9.jpg

The Titan 1 missile system was kind of.... silly. We spent so much time and money on these silos and they were only operational for 3 to 5 years in the early 60s. They were super-inefficient, too. The missiles could not be fired from the silos - rather, the silos housed enormous elevators that raised the missile to the surface. The missiles couldn't be stored fueled, either. They had to be fueled, then raised, then fired. And only one could be fired and guided at a time. So these silos are much more massive than the Minuteman and Peacekeeper silos of the 70s and 80s.

This tunnel is supposed to be circular. But it's actually kind of oval-shaped. Because it's collapsing.
silo10.jpg

More giant, rusty doors.
silo11.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

The power house has a catwalk that runs the circumference of the dome, about 10 feet off the ground. This is the ladder/staircase that you use to get down to where the springs are.
silo13.jpg

This is us leaving. The opening to the silo is pretty barren, allowing dirt and weeds to blow in. Right now is when you realize that there should be rabbits or coyotes or snakes or something living in this silo, but that there isn't. There are no signs of droppings and there were no sounds to be heard the entire time we were down there. And that's pretty fucked up.

silo14.jpg
The trip was pretty safe, for the most part. There is no threat of radiation, there's tons of asbestos laying around but you don't have anything to worry about unless you go kicking through it or start doing lines of it or something. Radon? Yeah, probably a concern. The only danger you really have to worry about is tripping and falling on a rusty spike. Knocking your head on an exposed bolt or falling into water is going to make this a pretty awful experience.

So yeah. A pretty neat little trip, I think. I can't wait to go back and check out the antenna elevators and control center!

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
c3hBq.jpg
Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
Boomerjinks on

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, at least Slenderman didn't drop by for a visit.

Pretty cool pictures though. UrbEx is one of those things that always intrigues me.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    See, stuff like this fascinates me.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty awesome

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why isn't that just an art commune?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Boomerjinks that stuff looks like heaps fun.

Last week when I was exploring a cave down at the water level I was in pitch black darkness and could only hear the sound of the waves crashing around.

It was pretty cool/intimidating.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Saying that it would be a cold day in hell that you would see me exploring that place without my sixty meter rope, harness and a shitload of prussiks.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alternatively, let's just fill the fucker with custard.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    interesting pictures

expected something more like this out of the last one though
    5naF.jpeg

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You should check out English-Russia. It's a great site anyways, but they've got a shit-ton of photos of abandoned Soviet military sites and the like.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty neat!

I'm really disappointed the only major urban exlploration group in Australia got shut down because of a couple of idiots. It's something I'd really like to give a try, but not without someone who knew what they were doing.

Flay on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2011
    Way to go, guy. This is pretty sweet. The last time I did this and was in a SPOOKY PLACE we found some graffiti that was something along the lines of ''juggalos were here'' and it just kind of ruined the mystique

Whippy on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    See, stuff like this fascinates me.

No kidding!

Some of those pictures were chilling, upon first viewing and then doubly so when I considered they were pitch black to you in reality.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Way to go, guy. This is pretty sweet. The last time I did this and was in a SPOOKY PLACE we found some graffiti that was something along the lines of ''juggalos were here'' and it just kind of ruined the mystique

Goddamn Juggalos, always ruining everything.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Whippy, why ain't you down with the clown?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is awesome

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

That is terrible. Learn how to focus a camera before you try to shoot a movie...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I hope you were up to date on your tetanus shots.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You're lucky you didn't run into a Deep Crow.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am having trouble believing the "I'm With Stupid" photo wasn't staged.

I've always wanted to do some urban exploring, but do not live in an area conducive to it.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh so creepy, especially the damn water

Thanks for sharing!

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That is pretty dang cool.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is incredible.

I'd love to explore that place.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    You're lucky you didn't run into a Deep Crow.

Or an army of Mantis Men.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GARY GARY GARY GARY
    GARY GARY GARY GARY
    GARY GARY GARY GARY

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Teen-Titans-Tower-teen-titans-9542632-1024-768.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't be able to go near that silo

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Or an army of Mantis Men.

Dude, we visited the silo and three days later I was playing Portal. Added a completely new way of experiencing that fucking game.

hint: there is no luminous fog in the distance. Ever.

Boomerjinks on
    c3hBq.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    silo1f.jpg

You seem to have taken a picture of a ghost.

Good job!

Garthor on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    on that note

how many orbs did you see

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty awesome. I'm glad you took pictures! It reminded me of this story I read awhile back and has piqued my interest in urban exploration but there isn't shit nearby and I'm a huge pussy anyway so whatever.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All the asbestos near the burned couch scared the shit out of me. Glad you were aware of the danger. Probably the reason that place was left to rot instead of being turned into scrap metal by scavengers.

Looks like an awesome place to film a sci-fi movie.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is literally Fallout (3)

Franko on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    dang

the scale of that place is pretty impressive

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I had friends around me to do this sort of shit. I think the nearest around me would be old cabins in the woods ... hardly sneaking around, unless you're worried about violent pot growers. I guess there is no middle ground.

Also no way in hell my wife would do this.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that was cool

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    We also fixated on the thought of how much therapy we would need if there was just someone down there waiting to jump out at use in a mask.

We've debated making a dummy, attaching a clown mask, and dropping it down into the silo.

Another idea is rigging up a motion detector to one of those awful electronic halloween "huhuhuhuhuhuhuh" gags and then hooking that up to a deep-cycle marine battery and leaving it there.

Might kill someone.

Boomerjinks on
    c3hBq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    this is literally Fallout (3)

Yeah, I got a strong Vault-Tec vibe from this. Like maybe Vault 15 from the first game.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    one of those pictures has graffiti in it that I thought read "THEY ARE EVERYWHERE"

reading that sprayed on a wall in such an environment would probably scare me a little

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On one hand

god I would love to film a short horror film there

on the other

fuck that place oh god

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png