As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you worry about what others think of you over the internet?

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
While at work today I was thinking of how I come across over the internet and how it differs so much than my actual person. I've said some stupid things (see signature) without realizing what I was typing and I've been an unintentional troll on more than one occasion, to the point where I was actually banned for it.

I'm not good at debating politics, because I don't know as much as what most that do the talking do, and thus I often come out looking like a ignorant moron because of it.

In person I consider myself a pleasant, easygoing person that doesn't often get in arguments or fights and I consider myself of above-average intelligence, but I don't always feel like that's the person I come across as over the internet.

Unfortunately over the web first impressions are everything, and I sometimes thing that I've dug myself into a pit I won't ever escape from.

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on
«1

Posts

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Less than in real life, but I still feel a bit of shame when proven wrong on the boards or when I get infracted for saying something stupid.

    KalTorak on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Same as what KalTorak said.

    More I am worried about what I might say that could bite me in the future. And how my current online identity could be linked to my real identification, and how that could effect me, professionally.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Same as what KalTorak said.

    More I am worried about what I might say that could bite me in the future. And how my current online identity could be linked to my real identification, and how that could effect me, professionally.

    Yeah, that's a pretty big concern.

    I'm pretty sure if someone really wanted to, they could tie this account to my real name and dig out some embarrassing shit (I've been on here for 8 years; shit, that was back in high school). Hopefully nobody will be that interested in me.

    Except Khoo.

    <3

    KalTorak on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't worry about what others think of me over the Internet, but I worry that sometimes people on the Internet think I do.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just having a bit of a low self esteem day where I think everyone hates me.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's good but not always necessary to portray an outward appearance that let's people know your not an asshole and shows them some of your interests and personality without giving too much away. Just like real life, but with less immediate or important consequences.

    I value what others think of me in this forum, but in general the Internet is pretty much meant to allow a degree of I don't give a shit, and I can be as bad a troll as any in a good FPS or RTS match. Depends on the situation.

    EDIT: We don't hate you Zero. <3

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just having a bit of a low self esteem day where I think everyone hates me.

    Yes, that was not hard to figure. One thing you should ask yourself: Whats more important? How people percive you or how you percive yourself? Don't be totally dependant on external input for self-affirmation. Besides resulting in being totally dependant on your company (be it virtual or otherwise) for your emotional health it also makes you look... well... thats not meant as an insult but it makes you look weak. And in a society like this one this will be abused. And thats probably the reason for your low self esteem day, isn't it?.

    So... to hell with other peoples opinions. Stop wasting time on learning to please other people and learn what pleases you instead. You should feel better in a few days.

    Hmm, usually you should meditade on that a bit with apropriate music.

    How about... ...and a beer?

    Glad to be of service. ^^

    ACSIS on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I kind of worry about it, but not terribly so.

    Mostly, I'm careful of what I say because, oddly enough, I want people to realize there's a person on the other end. There are so many times when I read a comment that I just want to retaliate to, or just unleash on. But then I have to stop myself and remind myself that, hey, there's an actual person on the other end of that keyboard. It's not an I-Hate-Deadfall-Bot.

    If that makes sense.

    Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Just having a bit of a low self esteem day where I think everyone hates me.

    Yes, that was not hard to figure. One thing you should ask yourself: Whats more important? How people percive you or how you percive yourself? Don't be totally dependant on external input for self-affirmation. Besides resulting in being totally dependant on your company (be it virtual or otherwise) for your emotional health it also makes you look... well... thats not meant as an insult but it makes you look weak. And in a society like this one this will be abused. And thats probably the reason for your low self esteem day, isn't it?.

    So... to hell with other peoples opinions. Stop wasting time on learning to please other people and learn what pleases you instead. You should feel better in a few days. Glad to be of service.

    Also, this is great and all, but I perceive this as a very selfish way of looking at things. Obviously, it's important to be able to depend on yourself, but if you want to be able to interact in society in any meaningful fashion, you'd better learn how to adapt to other people.

    Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I try to be pleasant but the intolerant jerk in me sometimes takes over.

    Especially in cases where the other person is ignorant - for whatever reason I have a harder time fueling my empathy rather than my knee jerk reactions over the net. Probably has to do with actually seeing the person.

    SkyGheNe on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. I used to be a real prick around here. It's not how I am in real life and one day I realized it's not how I want to be here. You'd be surprised how few infractions you get when you start thinking like that.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Just having a bit of a low self esteem day where I think everyone hates me.

    Yes, that was not hard to figure. One thing you should ask yourself: Whats more important? How people percive you or how you percive yourself? Don't be totally dependant on external input for self-affirmation. Besides resulting in being totally dependant on your company (be it virtual or otherwise) for your emotional health it also makes you look... well... thats not meant as an insult but it makes you look weak. And in a society like this one this will be abused. And thats probably the reason for your low self esteem day, isn't it?.

    So... to hell with other peoples opinions. Stop wasting time on learning to please other people and learn what pleases you instead. You should feel better in a few days. Glad to be of service.

    Also, this is great and all, but I perceive this as a very selfish way of looking at things. Obviously, it's important to be able to depend on yourself, but if you want to be able to interact in society in any meaningful fashion, you'd better learn how to adapt to other people.

    So your suggestion is to adapt to people who make you feel bad? How about socializing with people who like your unadapted self and make you feel great for the right reasons instead of wearing a personality mask all the time and feel bad about it? Can you even tell one from the other when you are busy with adapting all the time? Sure, totally selfish but it gets you rid of all the things plaguing, bending and hurting your personality. I can forgo that. I don't feel like i am missing something important.

    ACSIS on
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While I was looking for books to use for a final paper I'm doing for one of my psych classes yesterday, I found this in the library stacks:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=CS7tCCfZLMsC&dq=psychology+and+the+internet&hl=en&ei=W4bATaegIsbDgQeh8un9BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAA

    It was totally unrelated to what I needed, but I picked it based on the title sounding hilarious.

    One part talks about this stuff, kinda--disinhibition and how people portray themselves on the internet. Maybe I'll chime back in after I read some.

    Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

    now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For me, personally, I don't care what a single person thinks of me. Particular individuals don't really register when they respond to the things that I type into my magic box, But...

    I tend to cultivate a certain persona online that I don't necessarily manage in the real world. I tend to think and re-think about what I say, and will sometimes delete entire paragraphs or just not post something I invested a few minutes into typing only because I think it sounds stupid.

    So, I don't care what any one of you thinks, but I care what all of you think.

    Also a country song:

    Taramoor on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't worry what people think of me, but I do care. If I didn't care, I'd post on 4chan or some other anon-style forum. I don't. I post here, using an easily remembered plain-English username, with a customized avatar and a sig that swings between shilling my own blog and announcing my great taste in music or books or comics.

    I care, and I care because I'm a big dumb animal who just wants to be liked, here as much as anywhere. I crave the attention and approval of those around me, be it on the internet or in person. I experience pleasure when I get limed, or quoted, or when someone says "Listen to Kate, she is wise." I can spend upwards of half an hour answering a single H/A post - doing research, finding links, composing an intelligent reply - all for the sake of impressing people I've never even seen. I haven't been to PAX yet, but when I do, I want to introduce myself to Kate of Lokys and be recognized.

    Of course, I'm also an argumentative bitch sometimes, and that comes out much more on the internet than it does in real life. I like being liked, but I also like being right, and they aren't always one and the same. I'm sure I've gotten into debates on these forums that have, for some people at least, used up the entire stock of goodwill I had built up with them from my more helpful posts, but I just wouldn't be me if I did nothing but agree with others: sometimes, I just need to argue that Sanderson is a goddamned hack, and if you don't like it, fuck you.

    I think of internet people as being as valid and worthy as "real" people. I value the friendships I've made on here - I met my fiance on H/A. But I do recognize that one of the advantages of interacting online is that you can just... walk away. Most people have short memories for minor fuckups, and even if they do remember that dumb thing you said last week, they're not going to hold it against you. I took what turned out to be a highly unpopular position in the bullying thread we had a while back, and after arguing it for a day back and forth, I realized that I wasn't going to change anyone else's mind and they weren't going to change mine because we were arguing from fundamentally different positions. So, I just stopped reading the thread. I'm sure people continued arguing with me for pages afterwards, but I didn't look, so it didn't bother me.

    So, if you say dumb shit on the internet, don't freak out over it: everybody does, at some point or another. This community is big and friendly and robust enough that even if you do manage to piss a couple of people off, you'll be able to bounce back in no time - lost respect can always be regained over time by better posts.

    Unless you're ege02, in which case you're pretty much fucked.

    Kate of Lokys on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm definitely cognizant of the fact that I spend a lot of time online in the same places, and if I act like an asshole in those places I'm going to alienate people who only know me from my online presence.

    I also dislike being wrong factually, which means I spend a lot of time fact checking myself before I post. That has some aspect of a reputation concern I think, because I don't want to be known as "that guy" who is always saying shit that isn't true.
    Unless you're ege02, in which case you're pretty much fucked.

    Oh, ege. We hardly knew ye, yet we knew far too much about ye.

    God, that's been years at this point, hasn't it?

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't worry what people think of me, but I do care.

    Basically this. You should listen to Kate, she is wise. Though to an extent this is really just a result of laziness and/or apathy. My "internet persona" is basically just my "regular persona" only slightly more homoerotic and profane. I care what people think of me in general, and that holds true on the internets. Particularly since I only really get involved, be it here or somewhere else, in topics that interest me or I want to learn more about.

    moniker on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel dumb when I get infractions.

    I feel dumb when I look back and read the posts I made early in my history, all with my bad opinions and stupid thoughts and whatnot.

    Basically, I'm with Kate and moniker. I don't worry what people think about me. I just care.

    Sweeney Tom on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't want people to think I'm a douchebag, but it's more important that I not be a douchebag. If that makes any sense.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whatever persona you have on here or idea of respect you've built up ultimately means nothing because it's not a real representation of who you are anyway. Talking to someone in person is worlds different from exchanging posts on a message board. That's why people say insulting, trite crap online they would never in a million years say in an actual conversation.

    What matters is the discussions had (online), not who you think the people are behind the discussions.

    Hank_Scorpio on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    I care what people think in social venues, like these forums. Because I like the people here and I actually have an identity of sorts. I mean, if suddenly nobody here liked me any more I would be sad. But I don't think that I adjust what I say in order to fit in so much as I fit in because the things I say here are, for the venue, socially acceptable.

    On the rare occasions when I post somewhere that I'm truly anonymous I don't much give two shits if everybody who reads what I have to say think I'm a retard or an asshole, but I don't think it really affects what I say there or how I say it.

    Mostly I try to remember that every written word on the internet represents an actual, physical person, and that actual person has actual feelings.

    That said, I'm careful about what I say in cases where my statements can be traced back to my IRL name, for the standard and obvious reasons.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Whatever persona you have on here or idea of respect you've built up ultimately means nothing because it's not a real representation of who you are anyway. Talking to someone in person is worlds different from exchanging posts on a message board. That's why people say insulting, trite crap online they would never in a million years say in an actual conversation.

    What matters is the discussions had (online), not who you think the people are behind the discussions.

    I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Online interactions are not the same as in-person interactions, but they often carry the same dynamics. That the rules and boundaries might be a little different doesn't mean they're nonexistent or irrelevant.

    As with moniker, how I am here is largely similar to how I am IRL. Not identical, and the memes and in-jokes and appropriateness-lines are different, but at the core, this is basically me - I am opinionated and verbose and wear a sombrero all the time.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm basically this person offline too.

    I'm a little less verbose, I suppose. In person you don't really get the chance to fully frame your thoughts like you do here. I think I also actually joke more offline.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Chaos PunkChaos Punk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It all depends how much you care about the forum, or your reputation there. I would get used to conducting yourself publicwise on internet forums though, because they are becoming an increasingly popular tool for communication. I have to send emails at work all the time, and I'll copy people that are sitting almost right next to me. If I read emails from certain people, it feels very different talking to them in reality.

    You can say, "hey, this is only a chatroom, I can be a complete dick", and probably get away with it... most of us are more comfortable confronting strangers on the internet in a debate than people in real life... I know I have said some snide ass shit on the web that I wouldn't normally say in public, unless I was drunk. Usually I try to be civil. What's cool to me is that a lot of people can share their ideas, politics, religious views on a board that would keep it to themselves in real life.

    The thing is, if you're a dick, it's still a reflection of your character in some way. If I'm 100 miles away from home at an out of town bar, does that mean I'm exempt from all criticism just because the people who "REALLY" know me aren't going to be around? Continue to be a dick in this or that setting (internet, intoxicated, out of town, etc), it'll eventually catch up with you and you will run out of refuges. Then you'll be bogged down with the question, "What difference does it make what I act like anywhere I am?".. ..


    My advice is be cool, but don't be as reserved as you would be in real life. Maybe try to be more assertive in real life and less on message boards? Which is way different than just being an asshole.

    Chaos Punk on
    We are all the man behind the curtain.... pay no attention to any of us
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Basically agree with Kate, she is wise.

    Also:
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm basically this person offline too.

    I'm a little less verbose, I suppose. In person you don't really get the chance to fully frame your thoughts like you do here. I think I also actually joke more offline.

    This. I have been recognized by my username on PSN and at things like cons, so I certainly do care about it.

    Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't say anything online I wouldn't say in real life. But I do talk about things online that I wouldn't talk about in real life, for reasons that aren't very complex but are still important.

    And online people can't tell that my spelling is awful, and I can google my sources.

    So, online wins, I guess? About 8 years and no infractions yet, so It's working out fine.

    Though I have no real idea of what other people think about me from what I post. Whenever I get a glimpse of that it feels really, really strange.

    Also, just like in real life, I adjust what I say online to fit the situation. The things I talk about on irc, other forums, msn, and here are all different enough that it might even be jarring to realize they're all written by the same person.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will say that meeting people you only know from online can be a little awkward. At least at first.

    Probably owing to the fact that this is a medium where spending 8 minutes to perfectly word your snarky response is perfectly acceptable, whereas in real life that kind of makes you look like a goon.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I deeply care about what people here think of me, and I carefully craft each and every thing I post to make me more likable.

    Thanatos on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm definitely cognizant of the fact that I spend a lot of time online in the same places, and if I act like an asshole in those places I'm going to alienate people who only know me from my online presence.

    I also dislike being wrong factually, which means I spend a lot of time fact checking myself before I post. That has some aspect of a reputation concern I think, because I don't want to be known as "that guy" who is always saying shit that isn't true.
    Unless you're ege02, in which case you're pretty much fucked.

    Oh, ege. We hardly knew ye, yet we knew far too much about ye.

    God, that's been years at this point, hasn't it?

    I have a pm about the GIF from Oct 06, so well over 4 years since the most notorious incident. I don't know when he left.

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I will say that meeting people you only know from online can be a little awkward. At least at first.

    Probably owing to the fact that this is a medium where spending 8 minutes to perfectly word your snarky response is perfectly acceptable, whereas in real life that kind of makes you look like a goon.

    This transition has gone both ways for me.

    For people I chatted with regularly on irc I got a pretty accurate sense of them in an informal setting. When I met in real life it was basically an introduction, then we sat down and picked up the conversation we'd been having online.

    Forum only? That can be really different. I know plenty of people who say things on forums that they'd never say in person.

    But this is mostly centred around competitive gaming, so it may be skewed.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes and no. I think online I come off maybe a bit more extroverted than I am in real life. I do tend to just lurk threads with serious topics going on because I never really know where to begin looking to post something meaningful to a thread.

    In both real life and on here I am super careful with other people's feelings. I had a run in on another part of the forum that made me feel like shit for days. Since then I've made it a goal to let people know when I'm joking with them even at the expense of the joke. I really don't want someone to walk away from the computer depressed because of something I've said.

    But other than that, especially in [chat] I kind of just jump in when I can, even if my post goes ignored. In person I really just love sitting in a place and watching people and being quiet. For some time, this has had people come up to my family members and ask them what's wrong with me and why I'm an asshole because I'm not talking. I really just love watching people interact and when I do talk I really try to think about how polite I'm coming off because I don't want to be perceived as insincere. If I make a blunder, I do try to straighten it but sometimes that doesn't work either, both online and in person.

    So Mim in real life is super quiet and paranoid about coming off as rude. Mim online is more willing to talk unless it is a serious thread.

    Mim on
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's different place and different people, even when you are online and especially when the internet is so vast and wide. In fact you can just abandon this forum right now and post on SA, GITP/XKCD, Blizzard forums or other gaming community forums and no one would know who the hell you are, nor will they care.

    My first active participation was on a writer's forum / IRC channel and was basically calling out Mod/OP's corrupt use of power and booting and banning people just because she doesn't like them or agree with her. I was pretty much passive-aggressive with her and on the few times I got banned I contacted the board's owner (whom I be-friended with during my stay at that forum) to unbanned me.

    While it wasn't fun or productive in the slightest of ways I was proud of what I've stood for. My prediction was right and that online community died out due to her being intolerable and completely insufferable and even in the end she left the place to god knows where. Now the place that I used to log on everyday is an online graveyard. My only regret not getting alternative contacts and now lost touch with some of the people that used to hang out there.

    Fighting the mod/OP actually taught me few things about internet equitique and how to deal with people of power in general which actually helps me out a lot in real life. While Argument over the internet is like winning the special Olympics
    "even if you win you are still a retard."
    I'll offer you some tips on how to articulate your argument online to at least resemble someone of average intelligence.

    1) Knowing what's acceptable behavior and what will get you out-right banned/kicked/fired. Only when you know the rules you'll know how to avoid catching the attention of the Mods, make a valid defense when you are in question of violating the rules of the forum, and dance around doing boarder-line behavior without actually getting banned. The ultimate technique is when you can somehow managed to bait the opposition into breaking the rules of the board and getting him banned permanently, and thus give you a complete and ultimate victory.

    2) Know your argument and research your facts before posting, or just think before you post. Read what you wrote before pressing that submit button out-loud and even then, think of the way people can attack the logic of your post. If you are in an argument you can quickly counter whatever counter-point the opposition muster up.

    3) Just try to not take attacks personal because chances are you don't know the person on the other side of the screen and the other person don't really know you. It's extremely tempting when the person was arguing and trolling like a 10 year old, because chances are, he is. You can't beat a 10 year old at his own game and chances are he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.


    Finally I offer you this.

    215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

    Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sort of the opposite of Kate in terms of how I want to be recognized here or elsewhere on the internet. While she gets pleasure from being thought of as wise or correct, I'm more interested in having my posts challenged(in a reasonable manner). Not that I dislike being thought of as correct though. It's all good. I'm more lurker than frequent poster for the most part anyways.

    Though I should note that sometimes I decide to just stay out of certain discussions. The attitudes involved in some threads have annoyed me to no end but it rarely seems worth it to challenge some things like that.

    I have had a few infractions, but for very minor barbs that I've never felt regret for.

    Lucid on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I care about how other people think about me on the internet quite a bit. I've been lurking PA since mid-late 2008 and didn't even join for most of a year. Even though I still spend most of my time browsing the site in D&D, I post far more often in the Bioware threads than anywhere else. I've posted a few stupid things and felt really stupid when called out on them, which is why I primarily post in sections about videogames. It doesn't really matter what I think of Mass Effect 2, and even if I put my foot in my mouth over there I don't feel like a total jackass. Gaming and Technology also has a much less consistent set of posters across multiple threads, and less of a community than D&D. Its really easy to break into posting there, where D&D is a lot more like a bar where everyone knows everyone else. A lot of times they're still friendly, but there is a certain undertone that discourages new posters.

    I mean, I really like and respect a lot of D&D posters already and have read a ton of threads over the years. I wouldn't want some of those people to read my posts and you know, think less of me or judge me for something when discussing a more serious topic. I'm a lot more reserved on the internet versus real life because this kind of stuff is up forever, in real life memory fades pretty quickly so you can say more stupid stuff without it coming back to bite you years down the line. The Ege stuff is pretty indicative of this.

    Z0re on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    So Mim in real life is super quiet and paranoid about coming off as rude.
    Aww.

    Guys, real life Mim is awesome. No lie.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I deeply care about what people here think of me, and I carefully craft each and every thing I post to make me more likable.

    Oh Than, you lovable rogue.

    Me? The only place online where I care at all what people think of me (and i agree, "care" is a better word than "worry about") is here. I've frequented other forums of various kinds over the years, even been a regular at a couple, but at the end of the day I usually wound up either dropping off or flaming out. Usually because a complete lack of quality moderation combined with a substandard community to begin with made it someplace I no longer cared about being.

    But here? This is a pretty spiffy place.

    I guess my thing is that on these forums at least, I don't consider myself "anonymous." Because it's a community I'm a part of, and want to continue to be a part of, so my actions matter. Even though I'm still a bit of a dick from time to time. But hey, I am in real life, too.

    mcdermott on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I've been on these boards for...man, ten, eleven years now? God I feel old.

    There's some people that I really disagree with on these boards, but I really respect them.

    Oh man - can we talk about first impressions!? I always love those!

    I remember when I first joined these boards I was young and impressionable.My first impression of El Jeffe was that he was fairly conservative, but it's been really interesting to see how his positions have evolved on these boards. He's probably one of the first well articulated conservatives (he might have become a commie now) that I really respected.

    I don't think I've ever really established a relationship with anyone on these boards - but I keep coming back - even when I am an idiot or see something I may disagree with - because I really enjoy hearing about everyone's upbringing, background, how they were shaped and have evolved as people...and I'd be lying if I said I didn't learn a lot by listening to people speak and have grown as a person by taking bits and pieces of people and their ideologies into my own.

    SkyGheNe on
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As far as caring about what others think about me, I'd much rather be remembered as correct (or at least having owned up when I was shown to be wrong) than nice regardless of venue. That particular sentiment is something that, at least in the long run, is going to influence the set of people who will be willing to hang out with you so its not really something I'd suggest to everyone. It also means that you get to spend a lot of time researching your post before you make it, so that you can be reasonably sure that you're at least not obviously talking out of your ass. That doesn't really carry over into the real world all that much, simply due to the time constraints in a conversation, but that's just about the only major difference for me. The other being that I'm much more likely to let a conversation drop in real life if anyone is getting heated about it because its much harder for people to walk away from a group of people than it is from their computer.

    In real life I've been told I'm an arrogant prick and haven't particularly tried to refute it, which about fits me on the internet too.

    Syrdon on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    So Mim in real life is super quiet and paranoid about coming off as rude.
    Aww.

    Guys, real life Mim is awesome. No lie.

    I feel the same way about you and your wife! :D

    Do you guys ever worry about your PA forum name being connected with real life? I know someone brought it up, but I wonder how much of that is a real worry for you guys?

    Mim on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess I care a little. I mean, I've gotten upset and gone away from forums for periods of time longer than a week on more than one occasion.

    I seem to have a lot more trouble "making friends" as it were on the internet, for whatever reason.

    langfor6 on
Sign In or Register to comment.