Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Document the Atrocities! The American Political Media

1100101102103105

Posts

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Which makes it perfect for politifact. I believe they did the same thing in 2012 where the Romney campaign lied their ass off all year and the picked a democratic one because BOTH SIDES BAD!

    You probably should have checked before you said that.

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney-Jeeps-China/

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    HardNews.jpg

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Gnome-InterruptusshrykejmcdonaldWraith260JurgRedTideCaulk Bite 6Man in the MistsEdith Upwards
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    poltical cartoons are possibly the least informative media device in human history

    Hachface
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    No but if you're well informed in general they're fuggin hilarious.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That head stone should say Journalism.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Panda4YouCaulk Bite 6Brainleech
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lara Logan will be back at 60 Minutes in the new year. Hooray journalism!

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shocking because she's blond and attractive I would have figured she'd be at fox news.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Shocking because she's blond and attractive I would have figured she'd be at fox news.

    She has a foreign accent therefore...

    camo_sig2.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So does Megyn Kelly.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I always find it disturbing that all the women on Fox are blondes. Obviously not all of them are naturals, which makes me think that they are either required or pressured into dying their hair.

    Which I think is creepy if true.

    steam_sig.png

    Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Edith UpwardsSpoit
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I believe the term is bleaching their hair, dying is darkening. And I'm sure its required.

    I saw last night at the gym there was a story fox was running about a marine captain facing charges for reporting something, so of course Kelly had on war criminal Allen West to talk about how unfair the Obama admin is.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So does Megyn Kelly.

    She may not be from Real America, but she's one of the Good Ones from Shitty America.

    camo_sig2.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    So does Megyn Kelly.

    She may not be from Real America, but she's one of the Good Ones from Shitty America.

    Look dumbassistan will never be part of my america! SHES FOREIGN!

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    I always find it disturbing that all the women on Fox are blondes. Obviously not all of them are naturals, which makes me think that they are either required or pressured into dying their hair.

    Which I think is creepy if true.

    What makes it ultra-creepy is that they all seem to have the same hairstyle as well. It's as if Fox does all their recruiting in the Village Of The Damned.

    Edith Upwards
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I always find it disturbing that all the women on Fox are blondes. Obviously not all of them are naturals, which makes me think that they are either required or pressured into dying their hair.

    Which I think is creepy if true.

    What makes it ultra-creepy is that they all seem to have the same hairstyle as well. It's as if Fox does all their recruiting in the Village Of The Damned.

    No, it's more convenient for them to go to Stepford.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Caulk Bite 6
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    poltical cartoons are possibly the least informative media device in human history

    Twitter. I mean, realistically I dont consider political cartoons to inform, usually because you have to have an idea on what the thing is already portraying to laugh at it.

    Or as Samuel L Jackson said portraying a white street thug Gin Rummy on the boondocks (paraphrasing)"nothing of any importance in the history of mankind has been typed using only thumbs"

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Twitter is actually pretty informative in the sense that so many people shoot their mouths off on it without thinking so you get completely honest reactions from people that they later try to go back and delete or say they didn't mean, or say that it was taken out of context, or say that it was misunderstood because they Tweeted without thinking to filter their self first.

    Viskod on
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    Edith UpwardsMan in the Mists
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's also fairly good for live events, if you know/find who to follow quickly.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Viskod wrote: »
    Twitter is actually pretty informative in the sense that so many people shoot their mouths off on it without thinking so you get completely honest reactions from people that they later try to go back and delete or say they didn't mean, or say that it was taken out of context, or say that it was misunderstood because they Tweeted without thinking to filter their self first.

    I actually use it to inform on my game server news. I can instantly say "hey It's going down for 15 minutes for an update" or "were back up", etc. I am just screwing around. But it is a scalpel that people misuse frequently. It's still a needle in the haystack kind of thing, just with a super efficient method for sorting the hay.

    Political cartoons though... like if you don't know enough about the cartoon to find it funny, it's not going to teach you anything. If you think it informs things like "ROMNEY/OBAMA BAD" through the use of caricature in obvious negative light, I would assume people already made that decision and are saying "eh" or "yeah, he totally is!" without actually knowing whats going on.

    Edit I assume we get specific on "inform" and politcal cartoon being those one panel monstrosities that are the equivilent of 2 and a half men style comedy. Like the fact that the one linked above had to have a caption that repeats what the comic shows, is kind of horrifying.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The NYT op/ed board wants soldier pay on the table when it comes to cutting Pentagon spending.

    They can kindly go fuck themselves.

    That's fucking insulting, which means it will be in the budget deal.

    I fail to see why reducing manpower costs is insulting. I feel pretty strongly that current servicemembers should be grandfathered in to any cuts in benefits, but slowing pay growth and perhaps finding savings in benefits for future servicemembers? Not crazy talk. That it's seen as such is, I think, another failing of the ol' political media. Soldier pay shouldn't be a third rail, it should be something that can be legitimately discussed. I say this as somebody who would be directly affected.

    As it is right now, an E-4 with two years in the service, stationed in my county, is getting paid $43K a year if they have dependents. That's after two years, with nothing more than a high school diploma. And $18K or so of that is tax-free allowances, so it's effectively closer to $50K. For a single servicemember, you're only looking at about $25K a year, but that's with room and board paid for (and at that rate you pay little if anything in taxes). $25K goes a long way when you don't pay rent, I was a single E-3 once so I'm speaking from experience.

    Top it off with generous health benefits, ridiculous education benefits, and potentially one of the best retirement packages any non-CEO can expect in this nation (provided you go the distance)....yeah, the military is quite decently compensated.

    I doubt the average person arguing one way or another about soldier pay even knows what soldiers make. I rarely see any numbers (for individual pay) mentioned when the issue comes up.

    OneAngryPossum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    The NYT op/ed board wants soldier pay on the table when it comes to cutting Pentagon spending.

    They can kindly go fuck themselves.

    That's fucking insulting, which means it will be in the budget deal.

    I fail to see why reducing manpower costs is insulting. I feel pretty strongly that current servicemembers should be grandfathered in to any cuts in benefits, but slowing pay growth and perhaps finding savings in benefits for future servicemembers? Not crazy talk. That it's seen as such is, I think, another failing of the ol' political media. Soldier pay shouldn't be a third rail, it should be something that can be legitimately discussed. I say this as somebody who would be directly affected.

    As it is right now, an E-4 with two years in the service, stationed in my county, is getting paid $43K a year if they have dependents. That's after two years, with nothing more than a high school diploma. And $18K or so of that is tax-free allowances, so it's effectively closer to $50K. For a single servicemember, you're only looking at about $25K a year, but that's with room and board paid for (and at that rate you pay little if anything in taxes). $25K goes a long way when you don't pay rent, I was a single E-3 once so I'm speaking from experience.

    Top it off with generous health benefits, ridiculous education benefits, and potentially one of the best retirement packages any non-CEO can expect in this nation (provided you go the distance)....yeah, the military is quite decently compensated.

    I doubt the average person arguing one way or another about soldier pay even knows what soldiers make. I rarely see any numbers (for individual pay) mentioned when the issue comes up.

    The reason it's insulting is simple - if you want to get cost savings out of the defense budget, there are vastly more deserving targets. Furthermore, your argument is a classic example of crab thinking.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    SpoitMan in the Mists
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    People that sign up to die for their country should be compensated accordingly. If you like soldier benefits so much, nothing prevents you from joining the army other than age at this point.

    Maybe instead of tearing down others in merica we should seek to lift our own stations up.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Mild ConfusionMan in the Mists
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Preacher wrote: »
    People that sign up to die for their country should be compensated accordingly. If you like soldier benefits so much, nothing prevents you from joining the army other than age at this point.

    Maybe instead of tearing down others in merica we should seek to lift our own stations up.

    I am an Iraq veteran, still serving in the reserves. I intend to draw a military retirement.

    I've done my share of ramp ceremonies, and nearly caught a few IEDs and mortars of my own. Save your snark.

    EDIT: Which is to say I'm not "tearing down others." I'm talking about my own benefits as well. And at no point did I say they were excessive, just that they were better than decent, and that talking about where savings could be had is something we should be able to rationally do.

    mcdermott on
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And personally I think that savings for the fed should come from subsidies to industries like oil, farming, and other bullshit money give aways to millionares and billionares. Soldiers benefits and federal workers in general are decidedly middle class. 50k is not some obscene amount of money for one person to be making, especially if they have dependents.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Gnome-InterruptusMild ConfusionshrykeiTunesIsEvilCaulk Bite 6SpoitMan in the Mists
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Unless we put the procurement process on the table, all military budget talks are non-serious.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    People that sign up to die for their country should be compensated accordingly. If you like soldier benefits so much, nothing prevents you from joining the army other than age at this point.

    Maybe instead of tearing down others in merica we should seek to lift our own stations up.

    I am an Iraq veteran, still serving in the reserves. I intend to draw a military retirement.

    I've done my share of ramp ceremonies, and nearly caught a few IEDs and mortars of my own. Save your snark.

    EDIT: Which is to say I'm not "tearing down others." I'm talking about my own benefits as well. And at no point did I say they were excessive, just that they were better than decent, and that talking about where savings could be had is something we should be able to rationally do.

    The point is this - soldier pay doesn't go anywhere near the table until all the stupid procurement skullduggery is dealt with. There is no reason to even look at it when you have weapons being procured that the military neither needs nor wants.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Preacher wrote: »
    And personally I think that savings for the fed should come from subsidies to industries like oil, farming, and other bullshit money give aways to millionares and billionares. Soldiers benefits and federal workers in general are decidedly middle class. 50k is not some obscene amount of money for one person to be making, especially if they have dependents.

    Never said it was obscene. It is a precisely median income for my county. For a 20-year-old, with nothing more than a high school education, that's still pretty damn good. Which, again, is not to say it is excessive. It's just to say that it's good enough that discussing areas of savings there shouldn't be a third rail. I think we could absolutely slow growth of general military pay and allowances (and perhaps increase hazard/hardship pays instead), or make other adjustments to military benefits.

    Ignoring your whataboutery, what I'm seeing here is the standard emotional reaction to any such discussion, from both sides. Even though I still don't think 95% of the population has any idea what soldiers make (and the media doesn't report it in connection with such discussions). All they know is that no matter how much they make, it surely isn't enough. Which is not a rational position.

    Both military pay and civilian pay are decent. Better than average, in most fields. Not obscenely high, and I certainly don't suggest "slashing" them. But they also are not particularly low either, so marginal adjustments to either (particularly if we're just talking about slowing growth) are something that should always be on the table in a budget discussion.

    mcdermott on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Unless we put the procurement process on the table, all military budget talks are non-serious.

    Well then I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To me there are much more important higher savings areas than the pay of people making 50k mcdermott. That's my point. Its much more of a third rail to talk about pulling oil subsidies than having middle class federal workers take it on the chin. I mean how many government jobs have had pay raise freezes for how long? Yes the Oil subsidies continue the same as they always have even post BP.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    To me there are much more important higher savings areas than the pay of people making 50k mcdermott. That's my point. Its much more of a third rail to talk about pulling oil subsidies than having middle class federal workers take it on the chin. I mean how many government jobs have had pay raise freezes for how long? Yes the Oil subsidies continue the same as they always have even post BP.

    And yes, my civilian pay has been frozen for some time now. All of these are issues that directly affect me.

    I would agree that there are things in the Wide World of Budgeting that need cutting more. That's not the point.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    It is to me, because the middle class is getting fucked and I don't think anything middle class should be on the table. We live in a time of absurd poverty gap, and no politician should be pointing to anyone who makes 50 to 200k as part of that problem in america, nor talking about cutting jack shit. There are places the belt can be tightened that are far more deserving and with a lot more fat on the bone than military/civilian pay, and so those should remain third rail policies forever.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    AngelHedgieMarty81Mild ConfusionshrykeSpoitMan in the Mists
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    To me there are much more important higher savings areas than the pay of people making 50k mcdermott. That's my point. Its much more of a third rail to talk about pulling oil subsidies than having middle class federal workers take it on the chin. I mean how many government jobs have had pay raise freezes for how long? Yes the Oil subsidies continue the same as they always have even post BP.

    And yes, my civilian pay has been frozen for some time now. All of these are issues that directly affect me.

    I would agree that there are things in the Wide World of Budgeting that need cutting more. That's not the point.

    Your point is Villagesque gooseshit. Saying "everything should be on the table" does not make you "serious", it just shows that you're willing to inflict pain to those least capable of withstanding it. There is nothing wrong with saying that we should be looking at corporate giveouts first before eying anything for individuals.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    shrykeMan in the Mists
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2013_12/the_obama_bush_meme048236.php

    In a shocking turn of events Ron Fournier continues to be fucking awful.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's really too bad McCain didn't hire that asshole.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hire him? Why pay for the cow when you can fuck it for free?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm not saying McCain didn't make a good decision.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I am contintually amazed at how much the beltway is still asshurt the rest of the country still blames Bush for being a bad president. I mean jesus their attempts to drag Obama down to his level are fucking pathetic.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Well, they propped the asshole up and were the only reason he got elected in the first place. They were invested.

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There is that, still its maddening that a real publication could print a story that makes an Obamacare = the iraq war, for real.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    He could you know keep similar benefit levels but scale down troop numbers.

This discussion has been closed.