Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Document the Atrocities! The American Political Media

11718202223106

Posts

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The medicare thing actually came in third place

    they needed to skip the first two to get past the republican lies

  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Wait, wait, wait, the decision for the "Lie of the Year" was left up to an internet vote?

    Peer review!

    With Love and Courage
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    The saga continues with a Politifact mailbag.

    Second sentence of article: "Of roughly 1,500 e-mails we received, nearly all criticized our choice."
    About half the e-mails they published: "Thank you, Politifact."

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're part of the echo chamber, Gosling. Shame on you.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    According to Fox News, there's one more organization that's trying to brainwash your children to be Liberal socialist communists: The Girl Scouts.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    You would think organizations out to enslave your children to sell things for the organizations profit with very little of it going to the girls would be the bastion of free market and proving that child labor laws are wrong.

    steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    You would think organizations out to enslave your children to sell things for the organizations profit with very little of it going to the girls would be the bastion of free market and proving that child labor laws are wrong.

    I'm honestly surprised they hate on the Girl Scouts so much when put in this light.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    You would think organizations out to enslave your children to sell things for the organizations profit with very little of it going to the girls would be the bastion of free market and proving that child labor laws are wrong.

    I'm honestly surprised they hate on the Girl Scouts so much when put in this light.

    Well, they teach cooperation and acceptance of "the gays" so they must be evil. The slavery thing is probably just a veneer designed to hide the social-commu-fascist ideology that lurks beneath.

    camo_sig2.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Fuck you very much, David Gregory :

    http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/david-gregory-meet-the-press-debate-6635389

    I can think of three places where I want to cause you pain.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.

    YOLO. Swag. Whatever. Fuck it. Lets do this.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.
    He has consistency, I'd give him that. If he weren't such an asshole.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.

    The really stupid thing is that he's breaking state law. The Democrats at the federal level have already shown that they are unwilling to prosecute him, but it's a different world when you get to state officials. They are much more likely to not give a fuck what Fox News says.

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.
    He has consistency, I'd give him that. If he weren't such an asshole.

    consistencydemotivator.jpg

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Just when you think they can't get worse, Fox News finds a way to lower the bar.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Just when you think they can't get worse, Fox News finds a way to lower the bar.

    Although it's worded really badly, is it really that much of a stretch to believe that giving those men in the military willing to sexually assault more access to their preferred targets wouldn't increase incidence? I mean, if opportunity has nothing to do with incidence, why do we bother with locks?

  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Just when you think they can't get worse, Fox News finds a way to lower the bar.

    That is perhaps the most vile and despicable thing I have ever heard out of someone's mouth. Seriously, just the way she said, "too much," as if she finds the fact that military women are sexually assaulted to be perfectly acceptable because, after-all, that's what they should be expecting for having the audacity to serve with men. It's like she's completely flabbergasted that we would try to do anything to rectify the situation.

    I'm almost shaking right now, I'm so angry.

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Deebaser wrote:
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.

    The really stupid thing is that he's breaking state law. The Democrats at the federal level have already shown that they are unwilling to prosecute him, but it's a different world when you get to state officials. They are much more likely to not give a fuck what Fox News says.

    O'keefe is completely immune to prosecution, they joke about it but he could rob a bank with a plastic gun and not a single fucking thing would happen to him, because he has too many connections.

    I mean as long as he taped it and meant to embarrass liberals with it - he could get away with killing a hooker, but if he forgot to tape it in a way that supposedly discredits liberals then he'd get the regular legal treatment.

    override367 on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Just when you think they can't get worse, Fox News finds a way to lower the bar.

    Holy shit. I think my favorite quotes are:

    "...bureaucracy upon bureaucracy being built up with all kinds of levels of people to support women in the military who are being raped too much" implying theres an amount of rape thats okay.

    "I thought the mission of the Army and the Navy and the four services is to protect us and not the people fighting the war" What the fuck!?

    Seriously, what the fuck.

    Those crazy feminists, trying to join the military and not be raped.


    I dont know if Im more upset about the women shouldnt be in the military thing or the if you put a woman near a bunch of dudes she gon get raped thing.

    What the fuck?

    camo_sig2.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    What a fucking moron.
    Never mind the fact that the underlying point he was failing to make is completely retarded.

    The really stupid thing is that he's breaking state law. The Democrats at the federal level have already shown that they are unwilling to prosecute him, but it's a different world when you get to state officials. They are much more likely to not give a fuck what Fox News says.

    O'keefe is completely immune to prosecution, they joke about it but he could rob a bank with a plastic gun and not a single fucking thing would happen to him, because he has too many connections.

    I mean as long as he taped it and meant to embarrass liberals with it - he could get away with killing a hooker, but if he forgot to tape it in a way that supposedly discredits liberals then he'd get the regular legal treatment.

    I'm pretty sure someone is going to go to jail for this, one way or another. He's broken the law on videotape. That's pretty much a slam dunk where most prosecutors are concerned.

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    "I thought the mission of the Army and the Navy and the four services is to protect us and not the people fighting the war" What the fuck!?

    I agree with her. Body armour is for wusses. And what the shit is with all this steel on the outside of tanks?

    Don't even get me started on bomb defusal. A blatant waste of government spending.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PolitiFact continues to sell out:
    http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/02/15/polifact-math/


    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I'm pretty sure someone is going to go to jail for this, one way or another. He's broken the law on videotape. That's pretty much a slam dunk where most prosecutors are concerned.

    More importantly, he did out of the jurisdiction of federal prosecutors. The Feds have been reluctant to touch him, because the administration does not want to start a "Obama is arresting conservatives!" fest.

    Local and state prosecutors could give a fuck what Fox News says or what the D.C. insider circuit thinks.

  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

    If they wanted to play the partial-credit-for-plurality card, that's one thing. But then they had to go and be inconsistent about it. Math doesn't do 'inconsistent'. It's one way or the other, all the time.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I'm pretty sure someone is going to go to jail for this, one way or another. He's broken the law on videotape. That's pretty much a slam dunk where most prosecutors are concerned.

    More importantly, he did out of the jurisdiction of federal prosecutors. The Feds have been reluctant to touch him, because the administration does not want to start a "Obama is arresting conservatives!" fest.

    Local and state prosecutors could give a fuck what Fox News says or what the D.C. insider circuit thinks.

    The Feds need to grow some balls and do their jobs. Or replace them with someone who will.

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I'm pretty sure someone is going to go to jail for this, one way or another. He's broken the law on videotape. That's pretty much a slam dunk where most prosecutors are concerned.

    More importantly, he did out of the jurisdiction of federal prosecutors. The Feds have been reluctant to touch him, because the administration does not want to start a "Obama is arresting conservatives!" fest.

    Local and state prosecutors could give a fuck what Fox News says or what the D.C. insider circuit thinks.

    It depends, but we'll see. I hope you're right

    Edit: Wow 44% of people want a return to the gold standard?!

    We're in desperate need of some economics classes, at least 44% of America doesn't even have basic functional understanding of how the modern economy works

    override367 on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I suspect most of those people don't know what the gold standard is.

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's golden so it must be good!

    Phillishere on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote:

    If they wanted to play the partial-credit-for-plurality card, that's one thing. But then they had to go and be inconsistent about it. Math doesn't do 'inconsistent'. It's one way or the other, all the time.

    I like how they start their article (Politifact, that is) off with "liberals sure will be steaming mad about this, hyuck-hyuck." They're just trolling now, and have no purpose what-so-ever. They haven't for a while now, but wowie.

    [ed] I see Mr. Rosen came to the same conclusion I did.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    In a rare bit of good news, even the liberal MSNBC will no longer employ Pat Buchanon.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Man loves him some racists.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    He gives me the impression in articles like that he prefers debate for debate's sake, regardless of the content or lack-thereof, so long as one is apparently intellectually honest/a true believer.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User
    Aegis wrote:
    He gives me the impression in articles like that he prefers debate for debate's sake, regardless of the content or lack-thereof, so long as one is apparently intellectually honest/a true believer.

    I agree with him on this. I don't agree with Buchanon, but those views should be allowed to air and then argued against. Not only to shoot them down and point out the failures in them but to make people aware that such sentiments actually exist. While I don't agree with him, Buchanon did speak for a portion of our population, the public should be aware of that and should be aware of the views and counter arguments to them.

    Silencing views that are wrong and disturbing does not make them go away. It simply makes martyrs out of people and lends credence to the cause and empowers those wrong because it creates the narrative that they are truly the victims of society.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote:
    He gives me the impression in articles like that he prefers debate for debate's sake, regardless of the content or lack-thereof, so long as one is apparently intellectually honest/a true believer.

    I agree with him on this. I don't agree with Buchanon, but those views should be allowed to air and then argued against. Not only to shoot them down and point out the failures in them but to make people aware that such sentiments actually exist. While I don't agree with him, Buchanon did speak for a portion of our population, the public should be aware of that and should be aware of the views and counter arguments to them.

    Silencing views that are wrong and disturbing does not make them go away. It simply makes martyrs out of people and lends credence to the cause and empowers those wrong because it creates the narrative that they are truly the victims of society.

    Actually silencing them makes them fringe views people know are not acceptable to air in public.

    And that's how ideas die.

  • Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User
    shryke wrote:
    Aegis wrote:
    He gives me the impression in articles like that he prefers debate for debate's sake, regardless of the content or lack-thereof, so long as one is apparently intellectually honest/a true believer.

    I agree with him on this. I don't agree with Buchanon, but those views should be allowed to air and then argued against. Not only to shoot them down and point out the failures in them but to make people aware that such sentiments actually exist. While I don't agree with him, Buchanon did speak for a portion of our population, the public should be aware of that and should be aware of the views and counter arguments to them.

    Silencing views that are wrong and disturbing does not make them go away. It simply makes martyrs out of people and lends credence to the cause and empowers those wrong because it creates the narrative that they are truly the victims of society.

    Actually silencing them makes them fringe views people know are not acceptable to air in public.

    And that's how ideas die.

    Tell that to the militias, polygamists, KKK, should I go on?

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    The line between "opinion guest" and "spokesman" is always kind of dicey on news shows. when buchanan showed up as part of a panel i felt like it made sense, but when he had his own segment it did not.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User
    Irond Will wrote:
    The line between "opinion guest" and "spokesman" is always kind of dicey on news shows. when buchanan showed up as part of a panel i felt like it made sense, but when he had his own segment it did not.

    Maybe they could have kept him on as an opinion then? One of the reasons I respected MSNBC over Fox was that they had the balls to actually staff prominent conservatives who could argue their views and weren't afraid to do so and were thinkers. Compared to the sort of chicken shit liberal for Hannity to bully or Bill "I just scream and yell and nobody gets in a word edgweise" configurations Fox has. And they replaced Pat with Steele, who is pretty much as close to Palin for being stupid as you can get.

    Pat wasn't an idiot and he was a thinker. He didn't flop all over the place and offered up firm arguments for what he thought and was willing to debate people. Now granted, he went to some really odd places with them and a lot of what he said was horrible, but it was honest and he was willing to debate and it was interesting to hear it and to hear the counter arguments, many of which were better stated than anything I could make. And he was less of an idiotic hack than say Matthews.

    I always found him interesting and I'm hoping he gets another chance to speak somewhere else as a guest. Him having a show was silly, but him being in round tablet discussions was great. It's another reason for me to avoid MSNBC now other than the rare show

    Views and opinions should be made public and judged accordingly and debated vigorously. Not silenced and shit canned because they make people uncomfortable. As someone that's met Pat before (my father worked for Nixon as well, though in the energy department) he's not a vicious person. I think that was where Sully was coming from as well with his personal story.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    shryke wrote:
    Aegis wrote:
    He gives me the impression in articles like that he prefers debate for debate's sake, regardless of the content or lack-thereof, so long as one is apparently intellectually honest/a true believer.

    I agree with him on this. I don't agree with Buchanon, but those views should be allowed to air and then argued against. Not only to shoot them down and point out the failures in them but to make people aware that such sentiments actually exist. While I don't agree with him, Buchanon did speak for a portion of our population, the public should be aware of that and should be aware of the views and counter arguments to them.

    Silencing views that are wrong and disturbing does not make them go away. It simply makes martyrs out of people and lends credence to the cause and empowers those wrong because it creates the narrative that they are truly the victims of society.

    Actually silencing them makes them fringe views people know are not acceptable to air in public.

    And that's how ideas die.

    Tell that to the militias, polygamists, KKK, should I go on?

    I would, but hey, they are fringe wackos pushed to the edges of society with no power, so it's hard to talk to them or find a reason to bother. You know, the way it should be.

    Except maybe the militias who still have some ties to conservative whackjob ideology because the GOP still embraces some of their crazy gun-nut ideas.

    shryke on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote:
    The line between "opinion guest" and "spokesman" is always kind of dicey on news shows. when buchanan showed up as part of a panel i felt like it made sense, but when he had his own segment it did not.

    Maybe they could have kept him on as an opinion then? One of the reasons I respected MSNBC over Fox was that they had the balls to actually staff prominent conservatives who could argue their views and weren't afraid to do so and were thinkers. Compared to the sort of chicken shit liberal for Hannity to bully or Bill "I just scream and yell and nobody gets in a word edgweise" configurations Fox has. And they replaced Pat with Steele, who is pretty much as close to Palin for being stupid as you can get.

    Pat wasn't an idiot and he was a thinker. He didn't flop all over the place and offered up firm arguments for what he thought and was willing to debate people. Now granted, he went to some really odd places with them and a lot of what he said was horrible, but it was honest and he was willing to debate and it was interesting to hear it and to hear the counter arguments, many of which were better stated than anything I could make. And he was less of an idiotic hack than say Matthews.

    I always found him interesting and I'm hoping he gets another chance to speak somewhere else as a guest. Him having a show was silly, but him being in round tablet discussions was great. It's another reason for me to avoid MSNBC now other than the rare show

    Views and opinions should be made public and judged accordingly and debated vigorously. Not silenced and shit canned because they make people uncomfortable. As someone that's met Pat before (my father worked for Nixon as well, though in the energy department) he's not a vicious person. I think that was where Sully was coming from as well with his personal story.

    No, Pat was a fucking idiot. There is an entire vey large wiki page devoted to his stupidity:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson_controversies

    Giving him airline legitimizes his fringe whackjob stupidity. He no more deserves a chance to air his opinions on TV then the Grand Wizard of the KKK does.

This discussion has been closed.