As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Document the Atrocities! The American Political Media

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    In the case of what laws both of them broke and the way they did it, there was no heroism involved. I feel pretty safe in that belief. To me they are an example of needing better vetting in our military and a tighter lock on security, nothing more.

So you don't believe any of the released material was valuable for the public to have? Or is it that the damage suffered as a result of the release outweighs any potential positive?

I don't, and I do believe there was damage overall. Especially in the fact much like most of the shit Wikileaks puts out, it implies the US is alone in its spying, when that is far from the case. Like Brazil was all decrying us one minute and then admitting "yeah we do it too" the next.

I think in both cases, Manning and Snowden, they're highly damaged individuals who's actions managed to be both good and terrible at the same time. I personally think what they did was courageous and important, as the US's love affair with secrecy and covertness needs to go the way of the dodo. I mean jesus..they were tapping Merkel's phone (near as I can tell) just because they could.

And like it or not, Glenn Greenwald is the guy at the forefront of that kind of journalism, so I think he's important and needed, since the mainstream press is just beyond broken.

As much as I don't want to bring the NSA thread into this one. You realize that tapping the phone of a the head of a major economic power who has the ability to influence events on a world stage and who is at the center of some of the larger political events of our time is pretty much exactly who the NSA should be spying on, right?

A. You realize that tapping the phone of the leader or potential leader of a major US ally is pretty much exactly who the NSA shouldn't be spying on?
    B. How would you feel about MI6 tapping Obama's phones?

A: that's pretty blatantly false
    B: like they were doing their job

It's pretty blatantly the opposite of false.

It's a great way to make people who should be your allies pissed at you and more likely to side against you in things like trade disputes and economic sanctions. It's a way to risk losing overseas bases. It hurts your image abroad, not just among the leaders but on all levels of society.

But hey, 'Merica doesn't need no friends.

Everybody spies. As it's been said, nations do not have allies, they have interests. And as such, they spy to make sure that their alliances actually support their interests.

Last thing about this from me, but supposedly we really don't spy on the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. And vice versa, thus being the exceptions that prove the rule.

In theory, the Five Eyes don't spy on each other.

In practice...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/george-w-bush-to-sit-down-with-jay-leno

Jay Leno continues his unprecedented journalism by inviting another hated fake texan on his program.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Question.

I just saw on MSNBC that apparently Governor Christie hasn't actually given out like three quarters of the federal money he got for repairing the damage from Hurricane Sandy; anyone know if that's true or just spin on the part of MSNBC?

• Options
    A quick google search didn't pull up anything on it. But I have no idea there is a committee going on right now about the funds themselves, that could be a finding about it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, Allen West has a book coming out:

sfl-allen-west-writes-book-20131112-001.jpg

Yeah.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yeah Google didn't give me anything either when I looked, it's why I turned to here.

Frankly if the U.S. Government was run by people in this forum it'd run a whole hell of a lot smoother.

As an aside; ElJeffe would be a badass Speaker of the House.

Trace on
  • Options
    I guess "Torturing Idiot" was already taken by a former bush apointee.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yeah Google didn't give me anything either when I looked, it's why I turned to here.

Frankly if the U.S. Government was run by people in this forum it'd run a whole hell of a lot smoother.

i'm not sure i want to know what role Geth would play in that scenario. :|

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Sergeant-At-Arms, of course.

You don't want to know what the mace looks like.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Geth would head the NSA/FBI/CIA/and Secret Service.

Trace on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Also "Human Resources" which would be in charge of taking less useful humans and turning them into resources.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Also "Human Resources" which would be in charge of taking less useful humans and turning them into resources.

so the forum is taking a massive swing to the right when we take power then. :P

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    So, Allen West has a book coming out:

sfl-allen-west-writes-book-20131112-001.jpg

Yeah.

An "American Ronin?" Hey Allen, Ronin doesn't mean rebel....I think someone might have played a mean ass joke on you.

• Options
    Yeah Ronin means masterless samurai, even in our retarded changing of words I don't believe that one has swapped to mean "Borderline Nazi."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Sergeant-At-Arms, of course.

You don't want to know what the mace looks like.

Isn't it obvious?

thetube.png

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    As I understand it the closest English translation of ronin is something along the lines of "knight errant," with rather derogatory overtones.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    As I understand it the closest English translation of ronin is something along the lines of "knight errant," with rather derogatory overtones.

That isn't right. A Knight Errant was out to prove his mettle and chivalry. A ronin is a warrior whose master has died as a result of the warrior failing to protect them

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

That isn't right. A Knight Errant was out to prove his mettle and chivalry. A ronin is a warrior whose master has died as a result of the warrior failing to protect them

And neither applies to Allen West. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a classic European or classic Japanese word for "insufferable shithead."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Yeah no defintion lines up with "Nutjob war criminal".

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    In the case of what laws both of them broke and the way they did it, there was no heroism involved. I feel pretty safe in that belief. To me they are an example of needing better vetting in our military and a tighter lock on security, nothing more.

So you don't believe any of the released material was valuable for the public to have? Or is it that the damage suffered as a result of the release outweighs any potential positive?

I don't, and I do believe there was damage overall. Especially in the fact much like most of the shit Wikileaks puts out, it implies the US is alone in its spying, when that is far from the case. Like Brazil was all decrying us one minute and then admitting "yeah we do it too" the next.

I think in both cases, Manning and Snowden, they're highly damaged individuals who's actions managed to be both good and terrible at the same time. I personally think what they did was courageous and important, as the US's love affair with secrecy and covertness needs to go the way of the dodo. I mean jesus..they were tapping Merkel's phone (near as I can tell) just because they could.

And like it or not, Glenn Greenwald is the guy at the forefront of that kind of journalism, so I think he's important and needed, since the mainstream press is just beyond broken.

As much as I don't want to bring the NSA thread into this one. You realize that tapping the phone of a the head of a major economic power who has the ability to influence events on a world stage and who is at the center of some of the larger political events of our time is pretty much exactly who the NSA should be spying on, right?

A. You realize that tapping the phone of the leader or potential leader of a major US ally is pretty much exactly who the NSA shouldn't be spying on?

It's a great way to make people who should be your allies pissed at you and more likely to side against you in things like trade disputes and economic sanctions. It's a way to risk losing overseas bases. It hurts your image abroad, not just among the leaders but on all levels of society.

Everybody spies. As it's been said, nations do not have allies, they have interests. And as such, they spy to make sure that their alliances actually support their interests.

Last thing about this from me, but supposedly we really don't spy on the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. And vice versa, thus being the exceptions that prove the rule.

Somehow i fail to believe that.
    Spy less, sure, but i find it very doubtful there is no spying going on.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

In theory, the Five Eyes don't spy on each other.

In practice...

My guess is the Five Eyes spy on each other's citizens and then share the data with each other. This allows them to get around the laws against spying on one's citizens and claim that they don't spy on their own citizens. Seems to be the realpolitik of the situation. As for spying on the governments, I'd be surprised if there isn't some of that going on too.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Yeah no defintion lines up with "Nutjob war criminal".

That's a "Cheney" in the common tongue.

• Options
    Coates takes Cohen's defenders to task.

This one is pretty personal for him, especially considering the research he's done. So it's no wonder that he's basically at thinly veiled contempt.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    You know what.

Those Tea Party assholes scream about American Freedom and such and such.

But I bet back in the American Revolution most of them would be on George # 3's side.

Trace on
  • Options
    Coates takes Cohen's defenders to task.

This one is pretty personal for him, especially considering the research he's done. So it's no wonder that he's basically at thinly veiled contempt.

Lowering the BOOOOOM! I swear the longer the post keeps Cohen the more it looks like they are complete assholes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    You're just realizing the Post sucks now? It's been awful for years.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So, if I'm understanding this right, Richard Cohen writes an article about how the GOP isn't racist ... and can't even make it to the end of a paragraph without being incredibly fucking racist?

Are we sure this guy isn't the next Colbert?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So, if I'm understanding this right, Richard Cohen writes an article about how the GOP isn't racist ... and can't even make it to the end of a paragraph without being incredibly fucking racist?

Are we sure this guy isn't the next Colbert?

He'd be the next Colbert if Colbert was playing his role seriously. * shudder *

• Options
    No, not unless being a rape apologist and outward racist for years is all apart of his act.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Anyone with a brain can see Colbert is making satire. (Which makes it all the more scary that he keeps finding public officials that don't get the satire I mean what the fuck)

This asshole actually believes it.

• Options
    I think people are hoping that Jeff Bezos kicks Cohen to the curb.

• Options
    You're just realizing the Post sucks now? It's been awful for years.

We've known it's horrible. It's just that we now know that the only option left is an orbital strike.

• Options
    exterminatus.jpg

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Among others, like Rubin.

• Options
    Jennifer Rubin? Man she's the best writer they have!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Among others, like Rubin.

There are some institutions that can truly benefit from a "benevolent dictator" form of business. Newspapers are one of them. Steam/Valve is another.

• Options
    Jennifer Rubin? Man she's the best writer they have!

There's damning with faint praise, and then there's what you just did.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

And neither applies to Allen West. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a classic European or classic Japanese word for "insufferable shithead."

Rather hilariously, if you read the definition and entymology on wikipedia: Rōnin were known to operate, or serve as hired muscle for gangs that ran gambling rings, brothels, protection rackets, and other similar activities. Many were petty thieves and muggers. The criminal segment gave the rōnin of the Edo period a persistent reputation of disgrace, with the image of thugs, bullies, cutthroats, and wandering vagrants.

It fits Mr. West sort of well....

Anyway, the word is obviously complicated and nuanced, but clearly West has watched to many movies and thinks it means all around bad ass who doesn't take orders from anyone.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I agree with this comment:
    I think that a healthy loathing of Richard Cohen is something that most self-aware conservatives and liberals can strongly agree on. He's a walking incarnation of everything that's wrong with beltway punditry.

• Options
    Ronin, as I've always understood it, meant a disgraced warrior.

And of course a disgraced warrior in Japan back in those days generally meant someone who

1.) Let their master die and then didn't commit seppuku.

2.) Somehow dishonored himself/his master or his family and he didn't commit seppuku.

3.) Fled from battle and people knew or his honor didn't actually let call himself anything else.

Of course most Ronin became bandits and such and I wouldn't be surprised if the word got used for everything from actual former samurai who didn't kill themselves for honor too people who just shanked guys for money on the roads.

This discussion has been closed.