As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So... did we find out what happened to Ein?

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He was/is in layer school.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's been forever since I posted here, don't know if I posted these before or not, so you get them anyway. Dark Eldar, ahoy!

Archon:
    180035_10150090313253847_511728846_6128709_1858360_n.jpg

168596_10150090313413847_511728846_6128710_7001175_n.jpg

Hellion Skyboard (the rider has since been finished, but the vag in possession of the camera I was using to take these pictures has since left):
    163820_499654148846_511728846_6079632_3395879_n.jpg

Incubi (trying to figure out a better scheme for him):
    167860_499654323846_511728846_6079634_24436_n.jpg

165520_499654758846_511728846_6079639_2608184_n.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    He was/is in layer school.

And minecraft.

Sharp101 on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Yesterdays game was great, and the Predator really stood out, advancing slowly against the traitorous guardsmen (we decided that IG had to be traitors, since well... Utramarines aren't) with my captain and his powerfist bro's running in it's tracks. The tank prolly took a dozen of glancing hit's from lascannons and krak missiles befre going out in a blaze of glory.

Then my command squad charged.

Then they were obliterated by a Leman Russ.

Anyway, the unpainted armour plate is to represent a quick battlefield repair. Like;
    Chronus: YO TECHMARINE! TANK BROKE!
    Techmarine: YO, I GOT NEW PLATE, BUT IT'S NOT PAINTED!
    Chronus: YO, IT'S ALLRIGHT, JUST WELD THAT MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT ON!
    Techmarine: YO, IT'S DONE, DAWG!
    Chronus: YO THATS SWEET! LET'S GO NOW!

Niklas on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    He was/is in laywer school.

And minecraft.
    And per the last I heard, hasn't been feeling the wargaming jonesing due to other commitments.

So it goes.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It does.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Niklas wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Yesterdays game was great, and the Predator really stood out, advancing slowly against the traitorous guardsmen (we decided that IG had to be traitors, since well... Utramarines aren't) with my captain and his powerfist bro's running in it's tracks. The tank prolly took a dozen of glancing hit's from lascannons and krak missiles befre going out in a blaze of glory.

Anyway, the unpainted armour plate is to represent a quick battlefield repair. Like;

Yeah, really great touch. I may copy the same on the Blood Angels I'm totally not going to buy if you ask my wife.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He was/is in laywer school.

And minecraft.
    And per the last I heard, hasn't been feeling the wargaming jonesing due to other commitments.

So it goes.

I think he stopped Minecrafting after someone ruined his Columbia project? I think Tim said that at one point?

Ein is pretty much bigfoot now... Lots of rumors and an occasional sighting by some drunk hunters that noone believes :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

YO DAWG I PUT A TANK ON YO TANK SO WE CAN GET TANKED WHILE WE TANK

SJ on
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dark Eldar, ahoy!
    Incubi (trying to figure out a better scheme for him):
    167860_499654323846_511728846_6079634_24436_n.jpg

165520_499654758846_511728846_6079639_2608184_n.jpg

I like the Incubi. What do you want to change?

In other news, here is the (blurry, sorry) WIP progress of the pitch.
    5713881688_dbf91cab4a_z.jpg
    It's now flocked. I don't really like how the lightest green turned out, but what are you going to do. Working on the stencils is taking a lot of time, but soon I get the chance to ruin it by paint instead of by flock! :P

I also realized that I had to seal this seasons Blood Bowl prize I'm giving away on Saturday, so I snapped a couple of pictures of it afterwards just for giggles. I think the last one I did turned out a bit better...
    5713320645_c604cabcc9_z.jpg
    More images spoilered for bouncing gobbo...
    5713882380_152eec568f_z.jpg
    5713882882_ee4ab75cb6_z.jpg
    5713883228_5126876961_z.jpg
    5713883724_6e38e9625f_z.jpg

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    edited May 2011
    That goblin is an awesome model, awesomely painted. Well done, sir.

Niklas on
    edited May 2011
    I really like the lips on that squig.

How'd you do 'em?

edit: Also, all this hobby discussion in the 40k thread has me feeling bad about how many unpainted models I use. Anyone have tips to painting faster? Ideally while using a minimum of base > wash > base > highlight layers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I imagine the fastest way would be to use an army painter primer for your base then dipping. Then do the details. But at least the initial basecoat/shade would be done on your whole army fast, so you'd be throwing down some color on the table. Or the use of an airbrush.

Completely unrelatedly, the big fat nurgly thing I was making, I just have to finish an arm and the sword hilt. Is 6" tall/6 1/2" wide too big for Warhammer Fantasy/40k use? (not including Apoc) I want to mold/cast it and maybe sell a few. But I'm not going to invest in the materials necessary if it wont sell at least enough to get my money back.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Thanks guys! :)

The squig is basecoated Regal blue. The lips are then highlighted (pretty sloppy) with Bleached bone. After that they got a wash of Baal red and that's it.

Mago on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Completely unrelatedly, the big fat nurgly thing I was making, I just have to finish an arm and the sword hilt. Is 6" tall/6 1/2" wide too big for Warhammer Fantasy/40k use? (not including Apoc) I want to mold/cast it and maybe sell a few. But I'm not going to invest in the materials necessary if it wont sell at least enough to get my money back.

That's about as big as a block of 60 20mm square bases. That's pretty big.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I was thinking it'd be too big, oh well.

EDIT: I know! I'll add armor options for it, and make some of the armor options futuristic. So you can add cannons and stuff to his back and bam 40k nurgle daemon titan. (because if he stood up he'd be like 11-12" tall.)

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Morskittar wrote: »

How'd you do 'em?

edit: Also, all this hobby discussion in the 40k thread has me feeling bad about how many unpainted models I use. Anyone have tips to painting faster? Ideally while using a minimum of base > wash > base > highlight layers.

Army painter primer!
    Wash!
    Pick out details!
    Done!

When you've done your army, go back and highlight the most awesome models if you feel the need for it. And sand/paint the bases.

Niklas on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, for skaven, I might try:

Spray Calthan Brown
    Pick out armor, clothes, and flesh in a mid-tone color
    Devlan Mud with the occasional other targeted wash
    Pick out same elements in same color
    Maybe a highlight, but sure as hell not on goddamn skaven tails 'cause that takes forever

Still not super fast, but should get me through things faster. Problem is I have a color scheme with two base colors (dheneb stone for dirty linens, calthan brown/astronomicon orange mix for leather), fur, skin, a highlight color (a patina green) and metal. There's too many elements per model.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Make up some story about them being shadow rats and spray them black.

Done and done.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What Niklas and Pierce said. I just started doing this basic procedure on my Guardsmen and I think it's coming along pretty nicely:
    DSC_0927.jpg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2011
    That looks really nice Mr_Rose! The face and the cloth looks ace.

More WIP on the pitch:
    5713810443_f9beaf4cec_z.jpg

5713811523_fc5ba253e3_z.jpg

5713812781_66d3c90878_z.jpg

This is the logo I'm trying to do:
    27527_104297629615370_6636_n.jpg

The autocorrect in my imagning program made the pictures a bit bright. The yellow is weaker IRL.

Next up is the blacklining, perhaps during the weekend. I'm not really looking forward towards doing the text though. :wink:

Mago on
    edited May 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Make up some story about them being shadow rats and spray them black.

Done and done.

Maybe I'll just use some old painted Empire troops as "counts as" skaven.

8-)

That does look awfully good Rose. How many layers on the cloth?

And the pitch? Spectacular.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Layers?
    That's the same basic pattern people said; Army Painter Greenskin primer, devlan mud, snot green and a quick scorpion green drybrush for the cloth.
    The boots, belt and other leather is Vallejo Red Leather washed with Devlan (the same splash of Devlan used on the primer layer, for speed) and all the metallics are Vallejo Model Air steel washed with gryphonne sepia as necessary to get gold effects.

The skin is Vallejo Light Flesh washed with my secret blood sauce, and then the armour is Orkhide Shade.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

How'd you do 'em?

Army painter primer!
    Wash!
    Pick out details!
    Done!

When you've done your army, go back and highlight the most awesome models if you feel the need for it. And sand/paint the bases.

This is what I'm doing to my Nids this weekend. They've had their army painter primer step. I just need to paint all the chitin black then devlan mud them all. Once done, I can go back on a mini by mini basis and paint the skin properly and highlight the chitin.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2011
    Thanks guys. I think what's killing me is that I'm doing the old school patches of individual color on top of black. For skaven, at least, a sprayed basecoat of brown should allow me to work up from there much faster.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Thanks guys. I think what's killing me is that I'm doing the old school patches of individual color on top of black. For skaven, at least, a sprayed basecoat of brown should allow me to work up from there much faster.

This is one of the reasons I prime with grey. All colours can be painted over grey pretty easily.

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2011
    I never had good results with grey primer, but I haven't tried it in a long, long time. I think I'm gonna give black + brown spray a try tonight.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grey is the greatest color to prime with ever, especially when you base a lot of your color schemes around it.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited May 2011
    Yeah grey is a good all around primer colour, but I would also assume starting with your specific base colour would be even better.

Sharp101 on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grey. Just one of the reasons Space Wolves are so awesome.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah grey is a good all around primer colour, but I would also assume starting with your specific base colour would be even better.

Are you talking about actual primer? Because that's usually gray. Sometimes white or black. I'm pretty sure that some stuff, like the GW black primer, isn't primer at all, but just spray paint.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I prime my chaos black. Mostly because my base color is now based off midnight blue on a black base. Which makes a dark purple color which I just enjoy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2011

Are you talking about actual primer? Because that's usually gray. Sometimes white or black. I'm pretty sure that some stuff, like the GW black primer, isn't primer at all, but just spray paint.
    I use this:

ARYGGSP2.jpeg

Before Armory Grey, I used GW black/white 'primer' exclusively. (I know it's just spay paint)

This Armory stuff is probably just spray paint as well. I just say 'primer' for that first coat of spray paint as it's priming your model for paint, even if it's just spray paint. :P

Also: spelling it 'armory' feels so wrong.

Sharp101 on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well... I have to say the army painter primer I've used has been fucking amazing. It covers extremely well and IS the basecoat. If you can find that, go for it.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm happy sticking to my P3 white primer, it does just dandy for me.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited May 2011
    I use Tamiya Model primer, which I think has a ground chalk base, and the best stuff I've ever had for modeling. Paint certainly seems to chip less and hold better with it. Like I've said before, I spray on primer, undercoat, and basecoat, and don't lose the least bit of detail for it. Good stuff, but you pay for it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited May 2011
    I miss GW's old black primer, from before the change. The stuff that was so matte you had to paint under a bright light so you could see any detail. And wouldn't chip under anything sort of a determined sharp metal object attack.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I mainly use black and white gw primer, but because of a recent article in Privateer Presses No Quarter magazine I'm going to try out priming it black grey and white. Black first. Grey from above and off at an angle, and a small shot of white from directly above. It supposedly allows you to glaze color on and quickly paint a mini with the shadows naturally taken care of by the primer undercoat.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to be a huge supporter of black primer. I've never liked white, models come out too dayglo. I actually used to scoff at the idea of colour primers as well, until I tried painting a red Tyranid army up from black primer.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.