As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help removing Trojan Alureon

Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My dads computer has Trojan Alureon messing with it, we know this thanks to Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials finding Alureon, but not removing it.

Is it time to reformat or is there an easier/quicker fix?

Caveman Paws on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For most rootkits (as far as I know) you need something more powerful than MBAM and MSE, so the recommendation given by Jebus sounds ideal.

splash on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When rootkits are involved, a complete reformat (not just a reinstall, particularly when dealing with TDL3/TDL4) is the best option, and highly recommended. Once it has its hooks in your system, it's extremely difficult to be certain you've removed a rootkit if you don't reformat.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I got TDL3 rootkit I had to run combofix. You might have to do that. Don't do that if you don't know what you are doing.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If the fix has a good chance of borking your comp enough to require a reformat, you might as well just nuke from orbit and start from scratch anyways. Nine times out of ten, you won't have full functionality/stability back after the fix, and besides- it's a good opportunity to upgrade parts and programs since you're reinstalling everything from scratch, anyways.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?