As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah treat spheres like a series of circles laid on top of each other, not as an actual sphere.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's damn near impossible unless you've memorized how to voxelize spheres. You're going to need an external program, if only to provide the blueprints.

I suggest Minecraft Structure Planner. Quite easy to get the hang of and it tells you how much of each resource you're going to need.

EDIT: Warlock, it's not QUITE so simple, if I recall correctly from my sphere-building. Sometimes you're going to have points where it doesn't always go in a block. It's much easier to just use blueprints in my experience.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »
    That's damn near impossible unless you've memorized how to voxelize spheres.

IDK, I'm a professional artist, so I've got that going for me.

Art Degree gogo.

But anyway, library is almost done, just wrapping up the furnishings. Takes a long time to make this many book cases.

Up next: either the clock tower, the lighthouse, or working on the dock area for my city.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Art Degree gogo.

But anyway, library is almost done, just wrapping up the furnishings. Takes a long time to make this many book cases.

Up next: either the clock tower, the lighthouse, or working on the dock area for my city.

Can you post some pictures of the Library when you're done?

I love libraries in Minecraft.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

Art Degree gogo.

Can you post some pictures of the Library when you're done?

I love libraries in Minecraft.

When its wrapped up I'll be glad to.

I haven't done a project of this scale before, so I'm rather excited.

In some ways its still a demo for future efforts, like it has an early version of what will be the clock for my clock tower and such.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EDIT: Warlock, it's not QUITE so simple, if I recall correctly from my sphere-building. Sometimes you're going to have points where it doesn't always go in a block. It's much easier to just use blueprints in my experience.

If it's perfectly spherical it is. As long as you define the diameter beforehand, it's easy. Just fill in the empty space, 1 block thick, moving higher as you go (as styro said, smaller and smaller circles).

If it's not symetrical you'll have to figure something else out though.

Edit: Because I am crazy:
    _____######
    ___##@@@@@@##
    __#@@OOOOOO@@#
    _#@OOccccccOO@#
    _#@Oc======cO@#
    #@Oc==----==cO@#
    #@Oc=--..--=cO@#
    #@Oc=-.  .-=cO@#
    #@Oc=--..--=cO@#
    #@Oc==----==cO@#
    _#@Oc======cO@#
    _#@OOccccccOO@#
    __#@@OOOOOO@@#
    ___##@@@@@@##
    _____######

Imagine each different symbol is a new elevation of blocks.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Yosemite SamYosemite Sam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry I missed the great staircase debate while I was at work today. I really should have brought my phone.

Bottom line: stairs suck. Straight ones are boring, spirals are dizzying. I demand elevators.

All my mining efforts have a 3 high stack of water at the bottom for fast/safe descent, and long tedious ladders back up. 52 deep, 2 wide. There's my mining footprint. But it's such a slow trip back up.

If pistons become official, has anyone figured out a way to fire yourself up out of a vertical mine?

Bottom bottom line, I miss my water elevators...

edit: because I'm a writer dammit, and writers edit.

Yosemite Sam on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I doubt it, if they behave at all like the existing pistons they won't be powerful enough.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Googling 'voxel sphere' should see you towards finding a way of making spheres in Minecraft.

How about a staircase of pistons? Getting out of your mine has never been so much like playing mario ;)

Huggles on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I see this, and I think there's promise for a piston elevator. Maybe it's time I finally install this mod and try for myself.

edit: start at 0:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYlFFqiiG2I&t=0m50s

Yosemite Sam on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Or live in the desert, where tools cannot be made, and the only life is monsters and cacti.
    And I mean in real life by the way.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    It does have cons but they aren't that bad. Lag is going to be about the same with a small map as it is with a large map, since the map file changes a couple of months ago. Its based on loaded chunks so if 4 people are in completely different areas on a small map, you'll have the same amount of chunks loaded as with a huge map. The downsides are the file sizes start to get exponentially bigger. For example the SE++ map is 1.2GB, causing renders to take hours to do.

The new islands map we started is 3.85GB and god its annoying. I really wish I made it smaller but I am stuck with it now.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    A chunk is 16x16, 128 high, right?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    A chunk is 16x16, 128 high, right?

You are correct.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    108.60.193.2:27865

We may have found a server that can adequately support both G&T and SE++. They're giving us a 3-day trial with a 20-man cap for the moment. I would appreciate people joining just so we can stress test this and give it a proper workout.

Ein on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a piston elevator. You have to hold left and right and hit buttons, so it's not really automated, and sometimes you just die, but it's pretty cool.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ein wrote: »

We may have found a server that can adequately support both G&T and SE++. They're giving us a 3-day trial with a 20-man cap for the moment. I would appreciate people joining just so we can stress test this and give it a proper workout.

I joined up to this to take a look and it appears I spawned at the bottom of the ocean just far enough down that I can't swim to the top before I run out of air and health.

edit: After a few respawns I was able to barely make it to the surface

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Ein wrote: »

I joined up to this to take a look and it appears I spawned at the bottom of the ocean just far enough down that I can't swim to the top before I run out of air and health.

edit: After a few respawns I was able to barely make it to the surface

there is a little secrete hole on the side of the island you can swim into. Only thing is I can't seem to collect any stone for some reason (maybe lag?). This is my first time trying a multiplayer server so maybe I don't have permission yet?

mbannick on
  • Options
    The Future SoonThe Future Soon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I cannot even describe how happy I am to see rapture again.

The Future Soon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you spawn underwater, just type "/warp lighthouse"

Yosemite Sam on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys are ridiculous, that place is huge.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This morning's experiment. 2.0 will be one trigger to reach surface. But that's for after work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XHikvQEhM

PS: Col/Rap nostalgia, <3

Yosemite Sam on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's kinda laggy. There was just me and someone else on and it was just too jumpy.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New Industrial Craft is out - it's pretty fantastic. If you haven't tried it yet, do so.

To the IC veterans out there, has anyone run into a problem when placing batteries into a Solar Generator? For whatever reason, it's just not accepting them. Perplexing.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    The new islands map we started is 3.85GB

:shock: Hooooooly I hade no idea. Wow.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm building a tower in my newest Minecraft map, and the interior desperately needs decorating (also adequate lighting, but one thing at a time). I particularly want to add rugs; are their any mods for rugs?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    overnightfutureovernightfuture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm building a tower in my newest Minecraft map, and the interior desperately needs decorating (also adequate lighting, but one thing at a time). I particularly want to add rugs; are their any mods for rugs?

if not someone should make that

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    ultimakay wrote: »
    The new islands map we started is 3.85GB

:shock: Hooooooly I hade no idea. Wow.

That combined with a 150kb/s upload makes transferring the map like pulling teeth.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ein: "We may have found a server that can adequately support both G&T and SE++. They're giving us a 3-day trial with a 20-man cap for the moment. I would appreciate people joining just so we can stress test this and give it a proper workout."

We need guys to help us stress test again. We weren't able to get as many as we needed last night. If you've got some free time come on in and help us out.

The server has the Rapture map up at the moment, so if you haven't seen it or were ever curious come on by and check it out. Or if you're just nostalgic.

You spawn underwater. So use /warp lighthouse

Also the server may be down if we're fixing something, so just try again a minute later. It doesn't stay down long.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just wanted to drop by and say I appreciate what you guys are doing and also with N@W. Donated some monies and looking forward to submitting an app when you guys are accepting them again.

Rdr on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fun times helping server stress test, I'll have to get on the MP servers some more here

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the help stress testing again. We may try again later.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    hoothoot a.k.a. owlness Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I particularly want to add rugs; are their any mods for rugs?

Embed patterns of pigmented wool in the floor.

hoot on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hoot wrote: »
    I particularly want to add rugs; are their any mods for rugs?

Embed patterns of pigmented wool in the floor.

That is how I do it. Ends up being pretty simple, but it works.

Jollus on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not too bad

Ping statistics for 108.60.193.2:
    Packets: Sent = 10000, Received = 9960, Lost = 40
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 718ms, Average = 64ms

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    CptnNickCptnNick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I heard you'd like a carpet mod...

CptnNick on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yikes, Rapture has a serious creeper infestation.

20110515120414.png

Fleeb on
  • Options
    overnightfutureovernightfuture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Yikes, Rapture has a serious creeper infestation.
    -snip-

oh lawdy

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know, I was wondering why so many things were destroyed completely. On one hand, damn. on the other, now it actually looks like destroyed rapture. Sort of....

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man were any of you guys on the SE++ server the other night?

Y'know, I'd LOVE to play on something as wrecked as that. It's crazy looking, like some enraged god took his spite out on the land.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil