As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Hey, I have a problem and maybe you guy might know what's up.
    I got this game in Alpha and I was of the understanding that I would get the full game and all expansions, updates, ect. without paying for the full game. I haven't played in nearly a year but now when I log in it says that I don't have an account. Has something happen?

Try logging in on the website and do the forgot username/password options to make sure you are using the right name/password.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Witchsight wrote: »
    In regards to the 360 version...
    My favorite thing about Minecraft was establishing a home base, then going on some goddamn cave exploration adventures, and just traveling about to see what terrain got generated.

How hampered does the xbox version sound in that regard? My hopes are sinking.

Also, is the map randomly generated each time you start a new game? That might be enough for me :P

Yes. its not a massive issue- you cant walk in a direction forever but there is more resources than you would ever use in a 10xx by 10xx map. Or even the MP limit of 8. Its big enough.... its just not the infinite horizon of the pc game.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Sweet, I can live with that. My plan of crafting mines shall continue as planned! :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular

mojojoeo wrote: »

Yes. its not a massive issue- you cant walk in a direction forever but there is more resources than you would ever use in a 10xx by 10xx map. Or even the MP limit of 8. Its big enough.... its just not the infinite horizon of the pc game.

There isn't enough gold and diamonds for me to construct the forest of mighty peni that I had planned.

• Options
    iRevert wrote: »

There isn't enough gold and diamonds for me to construct the forest of mighty peni that I had planned.

You would be surprised. but maybe not big honking ones. Normal or sub normal ones maybe.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

You would be surprised. but maybe not big honking ones. Normal or sub normal ones maybe.

I don't want to live in a world where only sub-normal peni can be built.

• Options

I don't want to live in a world where only sub-normal peni can be built.

Golden 'show-ers' may rewuire a lot of mining then. but the map is big enough to have a whole lot of gold. Its just not infinite....

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Minecraft on a mandatory subscription model would be ridiculous.

If they want to provide better servers, then just allow players to opt into paying for access for official servers if it's something that's not financially viable for Mojang to sustain on their own.

• Options
    I'd say do a pay to play on some official multiplayer servers but still retain the option to do it free on private servers.

That wouldn't be horrible and would give people who wanted to play multiplayer but didn't have a server home a chance to experience the fun...just as long as it was something like $6 a year.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cross-posting from the SE++ thread because I thought it was cool and worth sharing with you guys:
    Darmak wrote: »
    I finally got around to installing that Mystcraft mod I linked earlier and it is really fucking cool. I'm enjoying being able to randomly generate worlds or specify what types of worlds I can generate. I'll post some pictures to show the sort of things I've seen:
    Here are a few pics of my "book room." I did all of this construction in creative then switched over to survival mode just to save time and energy because I wanted to try everything out. And that blue circle is a portal made from crystals you can find on some maps. They can be any size and shape, as long as they're unbroken, and you can place them horizontally or vertically. Then you create a book receptacle and place it anywhere on the portal and you put a book inside and the portal turns on and you can walk/jump/move through. I don't know what the point is, since placing a book on a pedestal does the same thing but it sure looks neat.
    2012-05-08_031343.png
    2012-05-08_031345.png

Here's an all-ocean world. Not very interesting, but I've run into a handful of them so it's always a good idea to bring dirt or something if you're planning on building here anyway. I usually just use a linking book and let it drop since I don't plan on coming back (though here I actually put the linking book on a stand for some reason):
    2012-05-08_031703.png
    2012-05-08_031732.png

Here are a couple of checkerboard biome worlds. They're pretty interesting to look at:
    2012-05-08_031452.png
    2012-05-08_031450.png
    2012-05-08_031519.png
    2012-05-08_031544.png

Here are some of the gnarled wooden tendrils you can find on some worlds. This particular map is obviously a skylands-type of map as well:
    2012-05-08_033515.png
    2012-05-08_033512.png
    2012-05-08_033508.png

Here's an all-cave world. I like these maps because oftentimes they're pitch black and you have to hurry to place torches to see if there are any monsters right next to you:
    2012-05-08_033147.png
    2012-05-08_033144.png
    2012-05-08_034010.png

Here's a world that's mostly jungle, stuck forever at dusk with a red fog that made everything look really cool:
    2012-05-08_042022.png

Here's a flat map with huge trees that was pretty awesome. I also discovered strange obsidian obelisks scattered throughout:
    2012-05-08_034136.png
    2012-05-08_034332.png

Here's a desert map with huge trees and glowstone clusters:
    2012-05-08_033912.png

Finally, here's a flat snowy map that was almost completely featureless except this jungle I finally managed to find:
    2012-05-08_033734.png

I have more pictures and I've explored a LOT more worlds but after awhile they start to blend together and it's the little details that make them cool (but hard to capture in screenshots).
    I forgot to mention you can rename the books whatever you want. They get defaulted to Age # and I've been keeping them at that until I've explored a bit and decided on whether or not I want to keep it. Then I rename the book to whatever.

Oh, and to write your own books you need to copy symbols from randomly generated worlds into a notebook. Once you've copied a symbol into the notebook you can use that symbol whenever you create a world. A bit of advice is once you unlock star fissures to always put them in your worlds. That way if you forget to bring a linking book with you or yours gets destroyed (by, like, a creeper or a decaying age falling apart) you can just jump into one and be returned to the overworld. They're pretty much holes in the world that go down to the bedrock only they have a starry void you fall into (the same thing in portals to the End)

edit: oh, I forgot to mention that the mod author is working on adding more symbols to add even more variety and neat shit to the ages you create. And there is a client and server version of the mod so you guys can put it on a server and play with friends (complete with stranding people on ages without a linking book back!)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Hello, I came back to say that @Empirical is the most awesome guy ever. That will be all.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Cross-posting from the SE++ thread because I thought it was cool and worth sharing with you guys:
    I finally got around to installing that Mystcraft mod I linked earlier and it is really fucking cool. I'm enjoying being able to randomly generate worlds or specify what types of worlds I can generate. I'll post some pictures to show the sort of things I've seen:
    Here are a few pics of my "book room." I did all of this construction in creative then switched over to survival mode just to save time and energy because I wanted to try everything out. And that blue circle is a portal made from crystals you can find on some maps. They can be any size and shape, as long as they're unbroken, and you can place them horizontally or vertically. Then you create a book receptacle and place it anywhere on the portal and you put a book inside and the portal turns on and you can walk/jump/move through. I don't know what the point is, since placing a book on a pedestal does the same thing but it sure looks neat.
    2012-05-08_031343.png
    2012-05-08_031345.png

Here's an all-ocean world. Not very interesting, but I've run into a handful of them so it's always a good idea to bring dirt or something if you're planning on building here anyway. I usually just use a linking book and let it drop since I don't plan on coming back (though here I actually put the linking book on a stand for some reason):
    2012-05-08_031703.png
    2012-05-08_031732.png

Here are a couple of checkerboard biome worlds. They're pretty interesting to look at:
    2012-05-08_031452.png
    2012-05-08_031450.png
    2012-05-08_031519.png
    2012-05-08_031544.png

Here are some of the gnarled wooden tendrils you can find on some worlds. This particular map is obviously a skylands-type of map as well:
    2012-05-08_033515.png
    2012-05-08_033512.png
    2012-05-08_033508.png

Here's an all-cave world. I like these maps because oftentimes they're pitch black and you have to hurry to place torches to see if there are any monsters right next to you:
    2012-05-08_033147.png
    2012-05-08_033144.png
    2012-05-08_034010.png

Here's a world that's mostly jungle, stuck forever at dusk with a red fog that made everything look really cool:
    2012-05-08_042022.png

Here's a flat map with huge trees that was pretty awesome. I also discovered strange obsidian obelisks scattered throughout:
    2012-05-08_034136.png
    2012-05-08_034332.png

2012-05-08_033912.png

Finally, here's a flat snowy map that was almost completely featureless except this jungle I finally managed to find:
    2012-05-08_033734.png

I have more pictures and I've explored a LOT more worlds but after awhile they start to blend together and it's the little details that make them cool (but hard to capture in screenshots).
    I forgot to mention you can rename the books whatever you want. They get defaulted to Age # and I've been keeping them at that until I've explored a bit and decided on whether or not I want to keep it. Then I rename the book to whatever.

Oh, and to write your own books you need to copy symbols from randomly generated worlds into a notebook. Once you've copied a symbol into the notebook you can use that symbol whenever you create a world. A bit of advice is once you unlock star fissures to always put them in your worlds. That way if you forget to bring a linking book with you or yours gets destroyed (by, like, a creeper or a decaying age falling apart) you can just jump into one and be returned to the overworld. They're pretty much holes in the world that go down to the bedrock only they have a starry void you fall into (the same thing in portals to the End)

edit: oh, I forgot to mention that the mod author is working on adding more symbols to add even more variety and neat shit to the ages you create. And there is a client and server version of the mod so you guys can put it on a server and play with friends (complete with stranding people on ages without a linking book back!)

That is freaking awesome and I am installing it tonight.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    2012-05-08_031343.png
    2012-05-08_031345.png

2012-05-08_031703.png
    2012-05-08_031732.png

2012-05-08_031452.png
    2012-05-08_031450.png
    2012-05-08_031519.png
    2012-05-08_031544.png

2012-05-08_033515.png
    2012-05-08_033512.png
    2012-05-08_033508.png

2012-05-08_033147.png
    2012-05-08_033144.png
    2012-05-08_034010.png

2012-05-08_042022.png

2012-05-08_034136.png
    2012-05-08_034332.png

2012-05-08_033912.png

2012-05-08_033734.png

That is freaking awesome and I am installing it tonight.

Holy crap. this is beyond rad.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Is... is anyone running a server with that mod on it?

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Houn wrote: »

I just might be soon. But I'm also small time.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I just installed Mystcraft and gave it a shot. One question and one comment.

Question: How do you take the collected symbols from your notebook and apply them to new Ages?

Comment: Seeing a superflat world fall apart under your feet is truly terrifying.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    with the notebook in the left writing desk slot, you take a description book that you've crafted but not yet used and put it in the right slot

then click on whichever symbols you wish to apply, you can also change the title this way

I know that there's a limited amount of symbols that will actually take effect for each category but I don't know specifics

Seriously on
  • Options
    You also get symbols by placing the book of a randomly generated age into the right side slot of a writing desk. It'll copy over all the symbols you don't already have in that notebook. And you can change the name of any book any time, as many times as you want.

I haven't figured out exactly what the specifics of the symbols are yet either, sometimes I'll create a world that doesn't seem to fit what I wrote at all. I do know that if you aren't very specific, the mod will fill-in the blanks and sometimes add unexpected stuff. But if you are too specific, you'll create an unstable world that will decay and fall apart. I haven't actually seen an unstable world yet, I'm planning on writing one and making a floating platform with the return linking book on it and waiting and watching.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I found an all-ocean world that started falling apart almost immediately

I haven't spent much time there but just from the progression so far it looks like it's not going to last more than a week in-game

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh man. I just yesterday started re-reading the Myst books. I absolutely love the games and the setting. I will definitely be checking this mod out.

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    So for the 360 version. is there a list of people playing or anything?

I bought it. gamertag is mantis23 if anyone wishes to engage in mining and also possibly crafting.

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    I installed Mystcraft last night, but it took me a while to get some feathers so I only had time to farm up the materials for a single book. A forest world with a red sky.

• Options
    WeedkillerWeedkiller Registered User regular
    Ok, that Myst mod looks pretty sweet. The ability to create custom ages is a nice touch, and the decaying worlds sound exciting.

• Options
    I hope he starts adding in crazy shit, like magma seas and whatnot.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    So what is a decaying world in Mystcraft? Does the ground fall away?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Machismo wrote: »
    So what is a decaying world in Mystcraft? Does the ground fall away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6IM-ofB4TU

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Houn wrote: »

I just might be soon. But I'm also small time.

I just started Minecraft again last night. Let's be small time together!

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Alright, I started a new world based on MystCraft. I explored a number of world and was briefly trapped in the first one. Wow. So much fun.

I have generate several flat worlds (so boring!) and several skylands as well as one cavern world. WOW.

The first world left me in a huge desert floating in the sky. Across a small gap (down to the void) was a jungle, floating. I managed to come to the world with out a spare Overworld book. In my pursuit of the materials to make one, I fell to my death. Upon save and exit, I came back in my own world, same coordinates. So that is an easy way to get home.

I placed that book aside. The next book was a flatworld in a nice forest. Pleasant, but the interesting thing was that it was actually a skylands map when I stumbled upon a hole in the world. There was a tree going down there, beneath the ground and a whole other area. I need to return there and explore it sometime.

I had a nice ocean world where I need to build my own entry point.
    My favorite was a nether-like world but composed of soil and stone instead of netherack. Lots of monsters, of course (all non-nether). Lots of water AND lava with loads of glowstone.

The last one I visited was a skylands map where I entered standing on a single piece of smoothstone. There was no land for a 100 cubes around. The land though was similar to small islands with one block thick water on them. Consequently, ALL the land had small waterfalls pouring off of them into the void. It looked pretty amazing. Also, the water flow caused all floating sand to fall, adding to the activity.

This thing makes some impressive maps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    By the way, you can't create a book back to the overworld unless you're IN the overworld. When you make a linking book it links to exactly where you were standing when you made it. So if you make a linking book inside a new world then it will take you exactly to that spot (AND you couldn't use it inside that world anyway, no intra-world linking). The only way you could get back home stranded like that is occasionally dying will do so, though usually it respawns you in the world you're in, or by creating more books to other worlds if you have the resources and hoping that a star fissure is in the new world (you jump into a star fissure and you get teleported back to the overworld without dying).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    By the way, you can't create a book back to the overworld unless you're IN the overworld. When you make a linking book it links to exactly where you were standing when you made it. So if you make a linking book inside a new world then it will take you exactly to that spot (AND you couldn't use it inside that world anyway, no intra-world linking). The only way you could get back home stranded like that is occasionally dying will do so, though usually it respawns you in the world you're in, or by creating more books to other worlds if you have the resources and hoping that a star fissure is in the new world (you jump into a star fissure and you get teleported back to the overworld without dying).

In my case, I saved and exited. So that is my emergency abort to get home. It just sucks to lose my diamond armor. :(

Still haven't found crystal, but it looks like it is entirely unnecessary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It is totally unnecessary but it sure looks cool to have portals set up to go various places. Crystal is the one thing I haven't been able to find yet either, I have every other symbol so far but not the one for that.

And I read on the dev's main site that he should be coming out with an update in a few days, though I don't think it's any new content but mostly bug fixes and the like. Still hoping though!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm torn. On the one hand, I really want to play this mod. On the other, I kinda want to wait until you can mess with weather settings.

• Options
    It is totally unnecessary but it sure looks cool to have portals set up to go various places. Crystal is the one thing I haven't been able to find yet either, I have every other symbol so far but not the one for that.

And I read on the dev's main site that he should be coming out with an update in a few days, though I don't think it's any new content but mostly bug fixes and the like. Still hoping though!

The portals are interesting to me since items you throw into them will travel. But since the other side doesn't load until you get there, that doesn't do much.

I've found the glyph for glowstone crystals but despite several worlds having it, I've yet to actually find one. I suspect it's being overwritten by other glyphs.

Hell is a biome option, it turns out. I got it in a jungle world and it made pigmen spawn all over. Giant twisting branches/roots is fun too.

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is there a way to get at a mod's resources if it comes in a .jar? I want to try to bring a mod's textures in line with the texture pack I'm using.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is there a way to get at a mod's resources if it comes in a .jar? I want to try to bring a mod's textures in line with the texture pack I'm using.
    You mean like opening the .jar file? Grab and install 7-zip; you'll be able to open it up like a zip file and grab whatever's inside.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    You mean like opening the .jar file? Grab and install 7-zip; you'll be able to open it up like a zip file and grab whatever's inside.

Ah, didn't know you could do that with .jars. Thanks!

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »

Ah, didn't know you could do that with .jars. Thanks!

It's cool, Al Baron loosened it for you.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    How can I rename a book? I want to change the names to "Worthless Desert" "Not-so-Nether" "Want Water?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Writing desk. Just pop it in the spot on top of your inventory and you can rename it. Just note that it'll look weird if you've got Too Many Items installed.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Machismo wrote: »
    How can I rename a book? I want to change the names to "Worthless Desert" "Not-so-Nether" "Want Water?"

Atrus just gave you a look of disgust.