As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA: Jordan Leading the Bobcats to the promised land.

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    For all the flack that D'Antoni gets for not giving a shit about defense, his teams were never all that bad in that department. Even his run-and-gun Suns were fluctuating around league average during their reign.

Even the Knicks this year - and yes, this was against a weak schedule, but still - 10th in the league in defensive rating.

I'm just tired of this team being in a constant state of flux.

And while I can't stand Stephen A. Smith's radio trolling, calling J-Lin an average point guard isn't necessarily a bad thing. If your rookie (for all intents and purposes, he is a rookie) PG came in and started off his career playing at a league average level, in an era where the PG talent is ridiculously stacked, wouldn't you be pretty happy? And the kid has shown demonstrable improvement in his game from his first stint in the league, so there's a lot of potential to become a good-to-great PG a few years down the line.

(But I'm pretty sure Smith wasn't trying to make that point, as he will continue to hang onto Melo's bootstraps in order to keep his media access alive.)

In any case, imagine D'Antoni coaching the Clippers next year. Your arena will probably need to keep around a spare set of rims. Or five.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    So Dwight Howard is reportedly not going to opt out of his contract. Meaning he's staying with Orlando for the 2012-13 season.

Meaning 11 months from now we get to go through all of this rumors and speculation frenzy all over again.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    omfg shipping Jamal

Naaaaaate whyyyyyy

He's only on a 1-year deal anyways. And POR's playing themselves out of the playoffs right now. Might as well see if they can get something for him.

One of the earlier rumors was Crawford to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes. That would've been a great deal for POR, getting a prospect like Bledsoe for a guy who's going to leave in July anyways.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote: »
    So Dwight Howard is reportedly not going to opt out of his contract. Meaning he's staying with Orlando for the 2012-13 season.

Meaning 11 months from now we get to go through all of this rumors and speculation frenzy all over again.

To be honest the frenzy around Howard seemed a lot less than the same around Chris Paul or Carmelo last year. At least it seems to me.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

To be honest the frenzy around Howard seemed a lot less than the same around Chris Paul or Carmelo last year. At least it seems to me.

It might be because I'm in LA, and for the longest time the Lakers were at the forefront of the Dwight rumors (along with NJ).

Rei wrote: »
    Of course he did, Melo is his boy. Steven A. Smith is a fucking clown, on the same level as Skip Bayless. None of this is Carmelo's fault right? Not the fact that everytime he's in the lineup the team is worse, that no one wanted this trade except the Knicks' owner and Melo, that 9 players want to play one system and one doesn't, who just happens to be the "superstar". I hope this continues to fail so Melo can get run out of town, and now that D'Antoni isn't here to take the blame, it will quickly shift to him.

Reportedly D'Antoni wanted to trade Melo for Deron Williams, and Dolan (owner) said no. This was before anyone ever heard of Lin.

Melo and D'Antoni just don't fit. D'Antoni's half-court offense relies heavily on the pick and roll, surrounded by shooters. Melo is best when iso-ing in the mid-post, like he did in Denver. He's actually a really good passer from the mid-post area, hitting cutters through the lane.

The only reason Melo seemed to function in D'Antoni's offense last year was because he shot 3s at an abnormally high rate and percentage, compared to his career averages.

• Options
    edited March 2012

It might be because I'm in LA, and for the longest time the Lakers were at the forefront of the Dwight rumors (along with NJ).

Plus, since I am a Hornets fan, the Paul situation was a lot closer to home to me than Howard now is.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Please elaborate on this...conspiracy.

I don't think its a conspiracy so much as terrible officiating

Lakers got calls

Memphis didn't

all

game

long

Nah, the Lakers have been the league's golden boy for years now. Stern loves them, and he controls the refs.

I still remember Mike Bibby's face "fouling" Kobe's elbow in the WCF. Or Fisher landing on top of Brent Barry when Barry was trying a game-winning 3, with no call. And just a couple of years ago Artest got called for "fouling" Kobe's elbow with his throat, when Artest was on the Rockets.

BTW - 2 of Memphis' FTA were from technical fouls called on the Lakers. So they really only got 3 FTA.

3 FTA.
    In a game that went 2OT.
    In a game where the Grizzlies had a franchise-record 116 FGA.

Meanwhile Barnes trips over his own feet and gets calls.

It's not the fault of Lakers fans that their team gets gifted like this all the time. It is a bit ridiculous when they don't acknowledge it happens, though. It's like a Heat fan acting like Wade earned all those FTA he got in the 2006 Finals, or a Bulls fan insisting Jordan didn't push off on Russell.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    As has been said before

Lakers got calls

Memphis didn't

all

game

long

Nah, the Lakers have been the league's golden boy for years now. Stern loves them, and he controls the refs.

I still remember Mike Bibby's face "fouling" Kobe's elbow in the WCF. Or Fisher landing on top of Brent Barry when Barry was trying a game-winning 3, with no call. And just a couple of years ago Artest got called for "fouling" Kobe's elbow with his throat, when Artest was on the Rockets.

BTW - 2 of Memphis' FTA were from technical fouls called on the Lakers. So they really only got 3 FTA.

3 FTA.
    In a game that went 2OT.

It's not the fault of Lakers fans that their team gets gifted like this all the time. It is a bit ridiculous when they don't acknowledge it happens, though. It's like a Heat fan acting like Wade earned all those FTA he got in the 2006 Finals, or a Bulls fan insisting Jordan didn't push off on Russell.

Some of the fun of being part of the fanbase that gets regularly shit on by the rest of the league (Beat LA is just so easy to chant) is that you occasionally get to troll people at times like these.

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Singling out Matt Barnes as a Laker that gets calls is pretty funny man!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    D'Antoni's last straw apparently was trying to convince Dolan to trade Melo for Deron Williams and run a 3 guard rotation to ease the load on Jeremy. He figured the winning streak while Melo was hurt and Amar'e was with family proved they were a good team without Melo.

• Options
    jackisreal wrote: »

It's not one player, it's the whole team. Barnes just happened to be the Laker involved on this particular horrendous call that deserves to be singled out.

Other players get calls all the time - Lebron, Wade, and Blake Griffin (and I'm a Clippers fan) come to mind instantly - but no other team consistently gets calls like the Lakers do. Mario Chalmers doesn't get calls just for being on the same team as Lebron and Wade.

• Options

It's not one player, it's the whole team. Barnes just happened to be the Laker involved on this particular horrendous call that deserves to be singled out.

Other players get calls all the time - Lebron, Wade, and Blake Griffin (and I'm a Clippers fan) come to mind instantly - but no other team consistently gets calls like the Lakers do. Mario Chalmers doesn't get calls just for being on the same team as Lebron and Wade.

I didn't watch the game last night so maybe the refs were being good to him, but usually it seems like refs watch him way more closely and give him far less benefit of the doubt than most players. As a Laker fan, when I think of which one of our guys gets calls he doesn't deserve, there's one guy that immediately jumps to mind (no, not Kobe)--Derek Fisher. Dude can flop with the best of them, and it tends to work when it needs to.

• Options
    Howard changed his mind, isn't going to waive his early termination option after all. That was fast!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Howard changed his mind, isn't going to waive his early termination option after all. That was fast!

He'll agree to stay, but he won't make that agreement legally binding. Nice.

And since he basically said that he doesn't want to be anything less than the #1 guy on his team, how would you feel if you were Deron Williams? "Oh, I can't play with Rose, he gets too much attention. But I got no problem with Williams."

• Options

He'll agree to stay, but he won't make that agreement legally binding. Nice.

And since he basically said that he doesn't want to be anything less than the #1 guy on his team, how would you feel if you were Deron Williams? "Oh, I can't play with Rose, he gets too much attention. But I got no problem with Williams."

Pretty shitty! I mean, his whole deal is that he wants to be on a team with another superstar so that it's easier to win a championship--but he needs to unquestionably be the #1? Strange.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I mean, we all laughed when Kobe was (essentially) saying, "Come to LA and you can score off all my missed shots." But we all knew that Howard going to the Lakers would still be Kobe's team. Howard's practically saying the same thing, but he's talking about his potential destinations.

To be fair, it's not like Deron's been with the Nets long enough to make it "his" team.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    As has been said before

Lakers got calls

Memphis didn't

all

game

long

3 FTA.
    In a game that went 2OT.

Some of the fun of being part of the fanbase that gets regularly shit on by the rest of the league (Beat LA is just so easy to chant) is that you occasionally get to troll people at times like these.

Thus completing the vicious cycle

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Oh shit, trade deadline!

Ramon Sessions to Lakers. Draft pick to Cavs.

Gerald Wallace to Nets. Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams and 2012 1st rounder (top 3 protected) to Blazers.

Lakers, Wolves, and Blazers on the verge of a 3-way that would send Michael Beasley to Lakers, Steve Blake to Blazers, and Jamal Crawford to Wolves.

Leandro Barbosa to Pacers. 2nd round pick to Raptors.

Sam Young to Sixers. Rights to Ricky Sanchez to Grizzlies.

• Options

I didn't watch the game last night so maybe the refs were being good to him, but usually it seems like refs watch him way more closely and give him far less benefit of the doubt than most players. As a Laker fan, when I think of which one of our guys gets calls he doesn't deserve, there's one guy that immediately jumps to mind (no, not Kobe)--Derek Fisher. Dude can flop with the best of them, and it tends to work when it needs to.

Well, in this case what happened was he was on a break but tripped up and fell down. The refs called a foul, then went to check for clear path. The tape, of course, showed that he fell over himself but that means that Sam Young wasn't in a position to stop him so by reflogic it's a clear path foul.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    Gerald Wallace sent to the Nets for Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams and a protected 2012 draft pick.

Portland has gone into rebuilding mode. I expect Crawford and Felton gone in the next few hours.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Also, Dwight signed his official paperwork to opt-in for the 2012-13 season on his contract.

• Options
    Sam Young to Sixers. Rights to Ricky Sanchez to Grizzlies.

Saw something like this coming a mile away.

Lionel Hollins does not get along with Sam Young

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    clownfood wrote: »
    Gerald Wallace sent to the Nets for Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams and a protected 2012 draft pick.

Portland has gone into rebuilding mode. I expect Crawford and Felton gone in the next few hours.

NJ is currently slated for a top 5 pick, so that deal looks real good for Portland IMO. The protection on the pick is only top-3, so POR could get the #4 or #5 pick.

• Options
    Also, Dwight signed his official paperwork to opt-in for the 2012-13 season on his contract.

Well at least we won't have any more news every time he changes his mind (that is to say, constantly)

at least not until next year, when it'll start all over again

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    C'mon Clips, do something! Get Delfino out of Milwaukee, he's the odd man out anyways with Monta coming in at SG.

Also, update to the Lakers trade - it's Luke Walton and a 2012 1st-rounder for Ramon Sessions and Christian Eyenga.

• Options
    We got a point guard AND we're getting rid of Luke Walton!?!?!? Woooooooooo!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Why are the Warriors trying to turn around and trade Jackson to the Spurs for Jefferson, when Jefferson makes exactly the same money, but has one more year on his deal?

Also, there is a rumor about Portland dealing Camby to Houston.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Why are the Warriors trying to turn around and trade Jackson to the Spurs for Jefferson, when Jefferson makes exactly the same money, but has one more year on his deal?

No idea. Maybe they don't want SJax's attitude around Klay Thompson?

• Options
    Marcus Camby to Rockets. Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn (both expiring contracts), and 2nd round pick to Blazers.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ehh. Still going to have to wait and see how this post-trade team goes before I hit Buy on that Blazers ticket I'd been considering.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    Marcus Camby to Rockets. Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn (both expiring contracts), and 2nd round pick to Blazers.

Okay...i didn't see that one coming. The Blazers' roster is getting the etcha-sketch treatment.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Warriors trade is a done deal.

Richard Jefferson, 1st round pick to Warriors. Stephen Jackson to Spurs.

• Options
    That Nets trade reeks of desperation. 1st round pick in a fairly deep draft for a dude with failing athleticism? They truly fucked themselves over with the Deron trade, since there's no possible way he's sticking around.

• Options
    Wait, the Lakers traded Derek Fisher and Dallas 2012 first rounder to the Rockets for Jordan Hill? Really?

• Options
    Wait, the Lakers traded Derek Fisher and Dallas 2012 first rounder to the Rockets for Jordan Hill? Really?

Yup. Good deal for the Lakers, Hill still has good upside and can play now. Fisher is garbage.

• Options

Yup. Good deal for the Lakers, Hill still has good upside and can play now. Fisher is garbage.

Especially since you've replaced Fisher with Sessions, which is a fantastic upgrade.

• Options
    Sadness. Been watching that dude play basketball for a long time.

For old times' sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjTGy1vRu5U

• Options
    Nick Young to Clippers, Nene and Brian Cook to Wizards, Javale McGee to Nuggets

• Options
    Nate McMillan has been fired.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna miss Fish but he's pretty terrible for us so we'll see where it goes.

This discussion has been closed.