As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road Sept 20. 2 More DLC Packs Sep 27th!

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Really, if things are too easy, you should at least try hardcore. Sure, the food/water/sleep thing can be an annoyance (though to be honest, not hard to handle in the slightest once you get yourself in the mindset to carry a few steaks and water around), but it's those other things that are gonna change how you rush into things: heal/cure rads over time vs. magically all at once, weight restrictions on ammo, having to worry about your companions dying if you rush in, etc etc.

I apparently feel the complete opposite of most of you who posted above: I don't see myself not using hardcore, as it'd be way too easy otherwise. I''ve had about 5 or 6 different character/playthroughs, and I've only run non-hardcore for half of one of those runs; it was getting too easy so I turned hardcore back on.

If you still find the Mojave too tame, you could try beefing up either number of enemies or overall monster strength, with stuff like Increased Wasteland Spawns and Harder Than You. If you're up for added content, I can't emphasize enough how fantastic AWOP and Warzones can be.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just find it tedious without making things harder, the way I feel about most inventory management.

The min-maxing is a chore, and I do it because I have a marked tendency for OCD when it comes to things like that, but I don't actually enjoy it. I'm just that rat helplessly hammering away on the food lever. :(

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I can't stand not having hardcore mode on. I agree almost entirely with Hahnsoo's reasons listed above. I don't feel it's unnecessarily gimping myself, I feel like it fixes the things that bothered me about Fallout 3 as I was playing through it, even at launch. Stimpacks or sleeping healing my limbs bothers the everloving shit out of me, has since FO3, even though it has saved my bacon a few times. Water actually having a purpose other than as a slow-burn healing item is great, especially after the emphasis on how fucking important water was in Fallout 3. You could have never touch a drop in a single playthrough, it's that damn important. I have various other praises for hardcore, even though it's far from perfect. This is to say, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to play with it on. I just like the extra level of world immersion it provides.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Good to know I'm not crazy for liking hardcore. Or if I am, that I'm not alone.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    Good to know I'm not crazy for liking hardcore. Or if I am, that I'm not alone.
    You are definitely crazy for liking hardcore. I know that I am. And you definitely aren't alone. As much as people like to say things for and against Hardcore, it really boils down to personal entertainment. I'm quite glad that Obsidian made it an option. More things in video games should be on/off options, like the shrines in Bastion.

Now if only Obsidian had an option for non-crappy combat in Alpha Protocol...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Yeah, that's why they made it an option. Glad there are some people that like it, even if I don't. Means it wasn't wasted effort on their part.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, I definitely think it's worth a playthrough on hardcore. I didn't like it terribly much, but I do think that the game should be played at least once with it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I dont have an opinion on other people liking hardcore mode, but personally I found it annoying. Its probably a thousand times more enjoyable for those who got the Vault 13 canteen.

Well, we'll see once the Courier's pack, or whatever it's called DLC is released. Isn't that just unlocking the pre-order DLCS for whoever buys it? I cant quite remember.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I used to use a mod called 'bottle that water' that created empty water bottles when you drank from a bottle of water. You could fill them up at any source by crouching and interacting with it. It was pretty nice while I had it installed. Kind of made hardcore too easy? Depends on your viewpoint, I guess.

Oh. I have one pretty much exactly the same. Though, I cant remember exactly WHERE I got it from. But actually, I just ended up tossing most of the bottles, because I found more than enough water to not NEED the extras.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Mostly I don't think it should've been called "hardcore mode." It should've been called "slightly more realistic mode." That's how it is, for better or for worse (mostly for worse).

Maybe they'll add a harder core in the next game that also lets us poop, and you have to do it in the proper receptacle or you'll lose karma or gain infamy with different groups!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    have you ever seen the nexus site?

The abominations that dwell within its networks?

Do you have any idea the horror that would be unleashed upon the world if there was a defecation mechanic in the next game?

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    but... but... but... the peanut!

I'm frankly surprised they haven't modded it in.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    As I understand the Vault 13 canteen from the classic pack automatically makes you drink, and is unlimited (though it only gives you back some hydration, so it's possible to still dehydrate with it).

The Canteen mod is basically a 5-bottle container, that has to be manually used and will empty. The mod does make it refillable, along with regular water bottles which become empty after use. I kinda like this one, personally, as I'm still responsible for carrying/drinking water, it's just making containers refillable as well. Also, there's 24 different canteens, which adds to the "collect 'em all" mentality that I seem to adore.

edit:......

.....oh dear. For the heck of it, I checked Nexus. Just to see. Apparently someone made a poop gun. Apparently someone was inspired to make a poop gun from a poop gun mod in FO3. So it's an idea that more than 1 person has had. And implemented.

Going to go be depressed at how screwed up the world is.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Actually, the companions in Dead Money are so good that most of the time, they were killing stuff and I just hung back. (on hardcore mode) The cloud hurts but it's so minor that you can basically ignore it. To be honest, coming off the wasteland where I was basically bullet-god, it was kind of fun to have to scrounge again, to rebuild.

Dude is right, it's a challenge early game that turns it into a weight management problem late game. Despite that, I enjoyed it. Water isn't so rare in the Mojave, so you don't really need more than 5-10 bottles at any one time, less if you know where to look for water. Rads are a total non-issue. Food comes up so rarely that I usually just carried a couple steaks or something. Stimpaks being heal over time was hard to get used to, especially in Honest Hearts/Old World Blues where things hit super hard, but you learn when to use them. As for ammo, I found myself sticking to one or two weapons at a time and only keeping ammo for those, and re-supplying at the apartment when I needed more.

Playing normal mode now feels like cheating. With one exception. Fucking Cazadores.

There's an issue with companions because they can't use anti-venom. So when they get poisoned, it eventually kills them. Minutes after the battle. (and usually after you've quick-saved) Even better, if you DO realize they're poisoned and try to heal them with a stimpak, it applies the entire duration of the poison at once, dropping their health into the negative and killing them, no matter how many more stimpaks you try to use.

The only way around it is to dismiss them and then go get them again.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    so who is going to set us up the bom... err new, new vegas thread?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I love the idea of a hardcore mode, but I feel that you can find a much more enjoyable experience from mods and not Obsidian's own built in mode.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2011
    I selected hardcore mode and I was very disappointed.

There wasn't any hardcore whatsoever.

I want my money back.
    I'm sure there's a mod for that.

Orca on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    I love the idea of a hardcore mode, but I feel that you can find a much more enjoyable experience from mods and not Obsidian's own built in mode.

I was looking forward to Hardcore mode before the game came out, but then I saw what it would add to make the game "hardcore" and skipped it without a second thought. I don't want extra tedium and bullshit moments, I want a more survival-oriented mode.

I don't consider it a big loss, though. The normal difficulty setting is plenty enjoyable.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'd be happy with everything dying faster including (and especially) me. There's definitely mods like that around and after this playthrough is finished up I'll be taking a look at them. I come from playing all three stalkers so the durability you have in this game feels pretty ridiculous.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Every time I try to play an "evil" character in any game that allows it I always go through the same motions.

Phase 1: I am going to be SO Eviiil
    Phase 2: Oh God, these people need my help! Wait- no. . . stay the course.
    Phase 3: Heh, setting that hobo on fire was kinda fun.
    Phase 4: MWHA HA HA HA!
    Phase 5: *lights a box of kittens on fire*
    Phase 6: The transformation is complete.

I've never been able to follow through on an evil playthrough on any game, ever. I always think to myself, 'Self, we're gonna do it this time. Evil guy. You can do it. But oh no, we'll be real evil, not Saturday morning cartoon evil. Oh yes. They'll see.'
    And then I end up at worst being neutral because in almost any game I've played where you're given a karmic choice your options are either 'Help this poor hobo out of the goodness of your heart while saving a busload of schoolchildren and refuse to accept a reward for it' or 'Set the hobo on fire, causing the busload of schoolchildren to explode, then go through the wallets and backpacks of the dead as they lay at your feet while cackling evilly'.
    The Fallout games, to their credit, have some middle ground, and I can think of at least one situation in New Vegas where even if you make a 'good' decision, you're still screwing over someone, it's just the unfortunate decision over who to screw over.
    Still, I always feel like such an asshole.

I can't find where hide goes in the underground hideout. Like gecko hide etc. It isn't autosorting to the workbench storage for me.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I can't find where hide goes in the underground hideout. Like gecko hide etc. It isn't autosorting to the workbench storage for me.

The Wall is using it to construct a leather construct in which to transfer your soul in to an immortal, emotionless shell with the singular goal of collecting things forever.

The Wall must be appeased, all glory to The Wall!

There are a handful of things that don't get sorted for reasons unknown. I always dump them in the trunk in the bedroom. Cartons and packs of cigarettes, hides, anything introduced in DLC. Also disappointing is that Legion Denarii and NCR cash don't get sorted by the safe. One hopes he'll rectify this in a future patch, if that ever happens.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Just started playing New Vegas again, since I decided to start a new character, might be time to explore some of my modding options. What are the essential mods for New Vegas?

And has anyone ported over Mart's Mutant Mod, the Sprint mod or that Radio extension or created an analogue for New Vegas?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Just started playing New Vegas again, since I decided to start a new character, might be time to explore some of my modding options. What are the essential mods for New Vegas?

And has anyone ported over Mart's Mutant Mod, the Sprint mod or that Radio extension or created an analogue for New Vegas?
    Monster Mod, Project Nevada (or just "sprint mod"), New Vegas Radio Extender, respectively. They are all there, and then some.

Elderlycrawfish's list is here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/19730493#Comment_19730493

Whoever makes the new OP, this shit should go in the OP. Just saying.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:

Monster Mod, Project Nevada (or just "sprint mod"), New Vegas Radio Extender, respectively. They are all there, and then some.

Elderlycrawfish's list is here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/19730493#Comment_19730493

Whoever makes the new OP, this shit should go in the OP. Just saying.

Thanks for the link. I'm download a bunch of those now.

Oh and the directions for the Nevada Skies mod is super confusing. I think English might be the modders second language or something, can anyone just layout what files are needed for that mod?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Man, this guy in Freeside really doesn't seem all that upset that I just murdered his wife.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh and the directions for the Nevada Skies mod is super confusing. I think English might be the modders second language or something, can anyone just layout what files are needed for that mod?

I think either 0.7 data and 0.7.1 Vanilla, or NSkies URWLified 31 AllinOne

edited August 2011
    Don't know how I feel about the increased spawns mod. It was a nice feature of Mart's but Mart's also added in more neutral AIs for the animals.

Plus I miss these guys,
    3211-5-1232708688.jpg

Uselesswarrior on
    edited August 2011
    So the White Glove Members Only area is a lot of fun to mess around in. There are a ton of people and they're all armed with melee weapons. When they go hostile they don't flee and they can't shoot at you either. If you stand on the table in the middle, nobody knows how to attack you, so they'll mob your companions or cluster around the table trying to get to you. I think I'll come back later with a bunch of explosives.

Also if you do the quest there and drug the wine, you can steal everything from everyone and come back later, and the whole room will try to box you in their underwear.

Oh man, I wonder if I can give them different clothes and weapons while they're all drugged? This could be awesome...

EDIT - Haha, yes, it works:

MYl5Z.jpg

I gave each of them a hand grenade and it was kind of messy in there for a while.

Basically when they're drugged the game treats them weirdly. You can completely modify anyone's inventory and obviously they don't know you're there so you don't get in trouble for it. It's like a very short-lived poor man's NPC editor.

UncleSporky on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Stock Fallout 3 and all the expansions: Melee, or Unarmed?

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Unarmed with a deathclaw gauntlet. Alternately melee with the shishkebab and pyromaniac.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Unarmed with a deathclaw gauntlet. Alternately melee with the shishkebab and pyromaniac.

Oh, wow, there really weren't that many non-guns in Fallout 3. Is one of the two a bit stronger than the other, taking into account perks and the like? Paralyzing Palm, Iron Fist, Pyromaniac, Ninja, etc etc? I'm going for a high int run so it shouldn't matter, but, still.

Same question actually in F-NV. I've gotten my current character to the end of Old World Blues and am just waiting for the final expansion. Was thinking about going through as a Good Karma Ceasar's Legion Melee/Unarmed build of some kind or other -- hardcore mode, of course. There are a lot more melee/unarmed weapons in NV, though, and Jury Rigging makes things all kinds of more interesting. That, and NV gets all those interesting Unarmed perks and whatnot.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Melee and Unarmed in New Vegas. Both have great perks that work with both types.

If you're going unarmed though, get the superheated saturnite fist and Pyromaniac. With pyromaniac, the superheated fist becomes the strongest unarmed weapon in the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Yeah I have only like 50 in unarmed, but I superheated a saturnite fist and have the pyromaniac perk.
    One-shotting giant radscorpions up in this bitch.