As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where should I live?

TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I was posting in the New Urbanism thread, and I heard about other places that may be better than Toledo, OH.

So, anyone got any recommendations as to where to check out? I'm about as streetwise as first-season Commander Data, and I have a car that I'm not terribly attached to. I'm not a drinker, so night-life means precisely jack to me.

steam_sig.png
TwoQuestions on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What is your industry?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New Hampshire :)

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm a programmer, so I can probably find work anywhere I need to.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a programmer, so I can probably find work anywhere I need to.

Be aware, if you move away from Toledo, OH you will lose access to Tony Paco's. This is literally the only thing I miss about Toledo. Well that and Put in Bay parties, Cedar Point just because I'm bored and punchkis.

I would fill out job applications in other major metropolitan cities and see what choices you have. Once you have offers you can come here and say "I can move to XYZ, where is best."

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What do you like? I'm a big fan of changing seasons and outdoor options, for example.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Elin, I've never been to Tony Paco's, so I guess I've got nothing to miss.

Skoal Cat, I almost never leave my apartment, so the only thing I'd really like is mild seasons to make it economical to keep my place comfortable.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you never leave your apartment, why does it matter where you live?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

I don't know how long it will take Toledo to turn into Detroit, and I'd like to be out of here before then.

I'd also like my car/apartment to be safe, and I'd like to be able to afford to get good food on occasion rather than paying half my income toward rent.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

Seriously. It sounds like you may have some more pressing concerns then where to live.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NH is pretty sweet (Side Tangent:Though no more free state project people, we have enough political crazies as it is).
    What temp/activities do you like or think you'd like? Can you deal with snow/cold? What age bracket are you in? What is "Good Food"? Do you need sunshine? Can you deal with oppressive heat? What industry are you in?

schuss on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think you need to do some serious thinking about what kind of lifestyle you want, that will drive where you want to live.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I sometimes leave my appt, mostly to see family on the weekends or to take a short walk. So I guess sidewalks would be nice.

To answer your demographic questions schuss, Ohio's climate is okay, which means zero in the winter, 90 in the height of summer. I'm 25 years old, and by "good food" I meant not ramen, mostly sarcastically. I can work any industry really, I do mostly web programming and I'm learning Android.

Damn I need to work on my writing.
    I think you need to do some serious thinking about what kind of lifestyle you want, that will drive where you want to live.

What do you mean?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Urban? Suburban? Country? Small town? Big city? Outdoor activities? Hispanic culture? Big music scene? Good theaters? Bike paths? Mountains? Beaches? Hot air balloons?
    Without being too ironic, it takes a lot more than Two Questions to figure out where you're going to live.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A good way to figure out where you want to live is what your budget looks like, your current income, how much you have saved, and how that will change where you're interested in moving.

Do you have all that made up now? Do you have savings? Or do you just live paycheck to paycheck and buy whatever the shit you want?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The two things I'm most concerned about are:
    1. Making enough money to pay bills/afford a new video game every other month or so.
    2. Not getting shot/robbed.

The first I think I can take care of, just the second one I don't have any idea. Everything else is mostly superfluous, as Toledo has a whole lot of nothing as it is.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I sometimes leave my appt, mostly to see family on the weekends or to take a short walk. So I guess sidewalks would be nice.

To answer your demographic questions schuss, Ohio's climate is okay, which means zero in the winter, 90 in the height of summer. I'm 25 years old, and by "good food" I meant not ramen, mostly sarcastically. I can work any industry really, I do mostly web programming and I'm learning Android.

Damn I need to work on my writing.

What do you mean?

This is why you need to think about it. Different areas of a country are going to have different cultures.

What kinds of things do you want to do? What kind of environments do you enjoy? What kind of people do you like being around? What about climate?

It sounds like you're a quasi-hermit right now, so you might want to try getting out and seeing what your own area has to offer a little bit while you think about moving.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There really isn't anything of note at all at or near Toledo, except it's horrendous crime rate.

So basically all I need to know is to go onto job search sites, the weather channel, and apartment rental sites.

Besides, isn't 25 a bit old to go out and party?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Do you do most of your work online, or do you need to be in an area where you can meet face to face with clients?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like to meet face-to-face, but I can work online if I have to.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Denver. That town is A++. And it's cheap.

Whacktose on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like to meet face-to-face, but I can work online if I have to.

You probably can't do small town American then, for employment reasons. Look into the more well known cities.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1014&bih=408&q=forbes+best+cities+to+live+in&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ann Arbor is just up the road from Toledo, and has a lot of small and large software companies and others who hire programmers.

I've been here about 3.5 years now and it's a pretty great place to live. I had an nearly forced move from Chicago because of work, so I wasn't thrilled at first, but it really is nice.

I have a few friends who are programmers and have gotten hired at places in the past 1-2 years, so if you have a decent education/experience I think you wouldn't have a terrible time finding a job.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I googled "Denver Crime" and the pages I went to said it was super-dangerous.

Or is it going to be dangerous anywhere I go?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's different parties for different kinds of people. There's more to going out than drinking alcohol. Do you really think you're going to be OK with not having a social life? How important is your family to you? Moving away from Ohio will mean you'll see them less. Is that even something you want?

If safety is a big concern to you I think you can scratch any metropolitan area in the world and if a moderate climate is a dealbreaker you can scratch a ton of places with hot and cold climates.

To me it sounds like you want to live in a town exactly like Toledo with all the people and things you do in Toledo.

Aldo on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There really isn't anything of note at all at or near Toledo, except it's horrendous crime rate.

So basically all I need to know is to go onto job search sites, the weather channel, and apartment rental sites.

I play in a Motown cover band and we have club gigs almost every weekend... many of the people who come to our shows are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's. Yes, it's too old to go to frat parties and get hammered with highschool girls, but it's not too old to go out and have a good time.

But yeah, Austin is pretty great. Art, music, film, the outdoors, politics, the university... lots of great stuff here for virtually any interest (except it's far from both beaches and mountains) Expensive compared to the rest of Texas, cheap compared to most other awesome cities. Lots of tech and stuff like that, so you should fit right in. (As long as you can deal with two to three months straight of 100+ degree days)

jimb213 on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why not look for jobs you're interested and see where you get hired and just move there?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Outside of tiny towns with one stop light, maybe. It probably scales based on population and there are going to be safer parts of any town or city.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I dont know what is with your obsession with crime but ALL cities will have some crime. Just don't move to a shitty part of one.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I dont know what is with your obsession with crime but ALL cities will have some crime. Just don't move to a shitty part of one.

I just have no streetwise at all. I'd have no idea if I was in a bad area until I received gunshot wounds.

It's just any place that's safe is also expensive, and I guess I need to find some happy medium.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I just have no streetwise at all. I'd have no idea if I was in a bad area until I received gunshot wounds.

It's just any place that's safe is also expensive, and I guess I need to find some happy medium.

Seriously, you sound like an 80 year old woman who has watched too much local news.

Any place in a city is going to have some element of danger, but it is completely overblown and not at all a LIKELY occurrence. Honestly, you sound like you're becoming dangerously agoraphobic. I would try and avoid that if I were you.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're just crazy about safety (Seriously? You MIGHT want to get comfortable going outside more often before this becomes a disorder as you get older, no one wants to be a hermit):

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/oh/
    Just look for high safety values, make a list, put it on a dartboard, and go!

Slo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Do you seriously think going to bars is the only reason to go out and leave the house? What do you do with your free time outside of work?

Honestly, it sounds like you have a rather naive, unimaginative view of what you can do with your life. When I asked about lifestyle, there are many things that go into that. Do you want to hang out on a beach? Go skiing? Surfing? Go to art galleries and museums? Go listen to awesome music live? Do you enjoy being around conservative or liberal people? And these are only some of the questions that you might want to think about.

Actually, I'm curious, have you ever travelled?

Corvus on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Not to throw gas on the fire (you sound overly concerned with crime), but if you want objective crime data don't google it, look for statistics like at city-data.com. Most places that aren't Toledo have lower per capita crime rate than Toledo. Maybe once you've decided where to go, contact the local constabulary (non-emergency line) and see if you can talk to someone about which neighborhoods to avoid.

Most places I'd suggest have been in-demand places to live for the past 10+ years (Austin, Boulder, Seattle) and as such have had net migration, which places additional competition for jobs and higher rents. They're also places that serve some personal interests (craft brew, outdoor lifestyles, tech jobs available, lots of other 20/30-somethings).

Maybe check out this list?

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

No, this is completely wrong. Plenty of safe places are affordable. You don't have to live in gated community with 24/7 patrols to be safe.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OP, you seem to be under the impression that the problem with your current lifestyle is your location. The real problem, though, is you.

You complain that your current location of Toledo is too expensive, especially with regard to food and rent. I live near St. Louis, in the heart of the Midwest, which is generally considered to have about the lowest cost of living in America. According to this comparison tool, Toledo is 5% cheaper than St. Louis overall, and housing in St. Louis is 87% more expensive, on average. If you can't afford to live in relative comfort in Toledo, anywhere else - Denver, Concord, Ann Arbor, Hartford - is going to be even worse.

You complain about the crime rate in Toledo. Denver's is a bit lower, Chicago is roughly the same, St. Louis is higher, but in all of those places, there can be huge differences from one neighbourhood to the next. If safety is a concern to you, throwing your hands up and saying "I just have no street sense, I only notice crime when the stray bullet from a gang shooting flies past my ear!" isn't a useful thing to do. Educate yourself about safety. Learn how to tell a good neighbourhood from a bad one, learn how to protect yourself and your belongings. Statistical differences in crime rates are significant on a large scale, but on an individual level, it comes down to luck and common sense and random happenstance. I've waited at the bus station in Detroit at 3am, I've walked through East St. Louis after midnight, but the only experience I've ever had with theft was someone stealing the plywood sheep lawn ornament from my parents' front yard when I was eight.

You say there's nothing to do in Toledo, yet when asked, you can't think of anything you want to do in the first place - aside from spending time with your family, but in a new city, you won't even have them around for company.

Moving to a new city won't magically fix all of the problems you have, because it really seems like the problems are rooted in your perception of the world rather than in reality. Instead, deal with the problems first: make more friends, do more stuff, learn about safety, figure out what you want to do with your life. If you get your shit together and decide "Hey, I've discovered that my real passion is wilderness photography, but Toledo just isn't the best place for it," I'm sure people here would have some really useful suggestions for cities that would be better suited to that interest. But right now, you're going nowhere in particular, and to a guy with no clear destination in mind, one place is just as bad as any other.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm just going to say in his defense Toledo actually does have a pretty horrid crime thing going on. Before I left a guy I worked with was murdered in his car, and he wasn't even in one of the "bad" sides of town. Nor was he the only person I personally knew that was murdered in Toledo. It's bad and getting worse.

That being said, OP you are asking too open ended of a question. There are too many cities in the US that are better than Toledo. You need some perimeters.

"I want to pay X for rent." "I want to be able to go hiking." "I want to work in X field."

We can't work with "I want to live anywhere but here."

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh man Kate, I missed you when you took a leave of absence from H&A.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Perhaps a goal other than "survive" would be good, as that's pretty much the only goal I've had since forever.
    I really can't think of anything else I've wanted to do, other than play video games and stuff.
    Toledo isn't bad costwise at all, just hella dangerous.
    Where would you guys reccomend looking to find out about how to be safe? I was raised in a town of 500, so being safe consisted entirely of avoiding a very short, specific list of people.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You almost sound like you might be depressed.

But anyways, you could take a self defense course, and your local police department probably has some information on how to be safe on their website you could look at.

Corvus on
  • Options
    McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This might give you some ideas:

Find Your Best Place
    http://www.bestplaces.net/fybp/

It asks you a bunch of questions about what's important to you and what you prefer, and then spits out areas that meet those criteria based on the stats. (It's like OKCupid for housing!) Apparently, I should be living in Charleston, SC...

McViking on