As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] New info. Beta gameplay and real money auction house.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not necessarily, the three they have fill the broad RPG roles (Tank, ranged, magic).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    True, but they were all so eerily similar to their playable counterparts that I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't also get a mini-witch doctor and mini-monk. Otherwise, there's no reason to make them so familiar in appearance (regardless of their roles).

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I really like being able to select their skills, but please let there be no might mercenary equivalent.

Templar has Heal, so there's our Prayer mercenary already. I wouldn't bet against one of the other skills being a damage booster.

@NGN: he does look like a Footman, doesn't he?

Healing is fine, in my opinion. I just don't like a damage boosting follower in theory because it's simultaneously incredibly effective and incredibly boring. I don't think it's impossible to have a damage boosting follower that is balanced with other followers, but it didn't happen in D2. Still, it's a minor quibble. Followers look awesome.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I just don't like a damage boosting follower in theory because it's simultaneously incredibly effective and incredibly boring.
    only if you're a necro. guess who got axed? 8-)
    I love the fact that the Paladin got demoted to follower. Suck it Paladin.
    :x

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woah, dang, son, the templar can use a polearm and a shield? shit hot

the enchantress and scoundrel will probably be like the wolf and rogue anyway i.e. inferior.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yay(?) mercs. Like others I hope they are balanced a bit better than in D2, which they probably will be given how out of whack the act 2 mercs were.

I don't mind if not every merc is viable with every character type, but I would like it if all of the mercs are viable for a variety of decent builds.

Savant on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So it looks like the enchantress has ranged magic, buffs and debuffs.

The scoundrel has ranged attacks, disabling skills, and item/gold/magic find.

And the footman has physical attacks, heal, and auras?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the look of the scoundrel. The perfect dirty rogue companion.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I played SC2 in beta and on release, and while there were definitely instances of Bnet 2.0 dropping connections, which did screw up your single player achievin', it wasn't down in the same sort of massive way that say, WoW, was on release. The issue relevant to SC2 is that when the connection drops, the entire game (2 minutes or 50 minutes in) is gone. I'll be curious to see if multi is handled differently with D3 so that doesn't happen. I expect it to at least be somewhat different, because an SC2 match only has one time to join (you cannot join a match in progress), whereas Diablo 2 (and so I'm assuming 3) will allow people to jump in and out of a given game instance.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't worry too much. In D2, your progress is saved when you're booted out. The only problem was when you're muling, but since the stash is shared in D3, there shouldn't be any massive outcry over the lack of LAN.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bash just posted this on the forums about the Follower leak
    I'd recommend everyone back down from their perceptions of what they believe is true, because tomorrow, from my perspective, everyone is going to be eating crow.

DUN DUN DUNN

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those are actually 3 more classes! Surprise!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    More news tomorrow. Excellent.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    More news tomorrow. Excellent.

I don't think it's going to be more news, per se.

The followers vid was a leak from the Korean D3 site. So we'll just get an explanation of the system most likely.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    An explanation to accompany the video is more news than we have now, particularly if it reveals details and intentions that will make "everyone eat crow".

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the eating crow bit unless it's a total 100% fake. All we have is there are followers with skills and here's their names. Not much they can change there that'll be like "Damn, we were so far off!". Of course, if they announce mind blowing details tomorrow I'll edit this post post haste! :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Potential differences:
    No merc resurrection. If they die, they drop their gear, and you start over at level Retarded.

No purchasing of mercs. You just find them as you move along, if they die you can't even hire a new one.

Hiring mercs works on a per-time or per-level basis, costing gold that's actually relevant.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    We have two different types of mercenaries now. As you saw in the demo, if you got the quest where you could rescue the adventurers or their leader, those guys are a low level and are just along for the quest, or are cannon fodder. You can't really control them or have anything to do with them at all. When you have what we are calling followers, they are the guys you can equip, give them different weapons, you can give them different armor. They will probably have some quests that involve them. Much more than in Diablo II, you could equip them but they were more like a game mechanic in a body of an NPC. Where this time, were making them much more individuals with their own back story and their own reason for being in the world.

It seems very unlikely followers will perma-die or just randomly appear since they have the temporary NPCs to fill the role of "guest" mercenary. It looks like they will be characters within the game.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All that video did was make me pissed I can't play as a Templar. I had a cleric in a three-year D&D campaign that used a glaive as his weapon/holy implement.

...I'm going to go read the Player's Handbook.

Ceno on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So if the followers have quests associated with them, I wonder if you can only get those quests by having the right type of follower at the right point in the game. Or maybe they all have the same quests regardless of type?

With all the customization, it would be odd if you could only have follower for a limited amount of time.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yesssssssssssssss customizable mercs. Now if they offer some kind of Tamagotchi merc app for my android phone where I can develop them on the go...

Aliquem-shut-up-and-take-my-money_150.jpg

JAEF on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Was that video the first we've seen of the male Demon Hunter? Because he looks boss.

Strider Hiryu/Tetsuo lookin.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Potential differences:
    No merc resurrection. If they die, they drop their gear, and you start over at level Retarded.

No purchasing of mercs. You just find them as you move along, if they die you can't even hire a new one.

Hiring mercs works on a per-time or per-level basis, costing gold that's actually relevant.

Ugh, no on the permadeath of mercs. Mercs had permadeath in D2 before LoD and they were more or less useless, especially given how suicidal they can be.

I could see them being something you get through quests, and potentially being able to switch them around without outright losing the ones you switch away from.

Savant on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't see what info they could release that would make everyone eat crow, the video seemed pretty simple. There could be some more specifics but the basic idea is 'there are (At least three) followers'

captaink on
  • Options
    OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I'd rather play as the templar instead of use him as a follower. However, Monk/Templar seems like a lovable pair.

OtistheGuard on
    SC2: Cleomenes.943
    XBL: Aspis 9
    Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who thinks the Scoundrel looks more appealing as a character than the Demon Hunter?

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the Scoundrel looks more appealing as a character than the Demon Hunter?

Its the mustache.

My #1 complaint about the followers is that his high end gear look has his face covered, and therefore we can no longer see it.

Scoun_progression.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    I don't see what info they could release that would make everyone eat crow, the video seemed pretty simple. There could be some more specifics but the basic idea is 'there are (At least three) followers'

The only thing I can think of is people are jumping to the conclusion that they will be balanced like the D2 mercs where ranged is worthless and damage absorption is king.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I...want to play the templar. Polearm + huge shield = the shit.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I...want to play the templar. Polearm + huge shield = the shit.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So it looks like these Followers are single player only. My perception of how different SP and MP are, content wise, has gone out the window.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/followers-interviews-commence/

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm eating cro...wait, no I'm not! I demand they announce the beta is next week to make up for this deceit!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Followers do not die; if they run out of hit points they just fall down unconscious for a while, and any bonuses they were granting you vanish for the duration of their nap. You can accelerate their recovery by standing beside them for a few seconds.
    What is this? My Little Pony?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wait, ok, apparently not entirely.
    Followers are only available when you’re playing alone, either SP or by yourself MP. If another player joins the game, your Followers will return to town for the duration. You (and the other players) will get your Followers back when you next play solo.

I can tolerate that.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Followers do not die; if they run out of hit points they just fall down unconscious for a while, and any bonuses they were granting you vanish for the duration of their nap. You can accelerate their recovery by standing beside them for a few seconds.

You would prefer you have to go back to town first to make it hardcore?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Considering the massive effort by Blizzard to keep you in the field as long as possible (scavenging, potion functionality changes, etc.) are you really surprised or upset by that Chen? If you just wanted to make a MLP dig I'm totally cool with that.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I was sort of half-joking, but they could have implemented, say, a scroll or a potion that 'revives' your follower or at least attach some monetary value to his or her 'death'. Now it's: "Feh, I'll just let him die and sip a cup of tea for a minute."

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I was sort of half-joking, but they could have implemented, say, a scroll or a potion that 'revives' your follower or at least attach some monetary value to his or her 'death'. Now it's: "Feh, I'll just let him die and sip a cup of tea for a minute."

You're suppose to be teabagging your merc, not drinking tea. Get with the program!

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blizz sent out a bunch of new screens along with the followers reveal. All from Act 1.

Warning, these are huge.
    fol-Monk_and_Scoundrel_1.jpg
    fol-Monk_and_Scoundrel_2.jpg
    fol-Monk_and_Scoundrel_3.jpg
    fol-Wizard_and_Enchantress_1.jpg
    fol-Wizard_and_Enchantress_2.jpg
    fol-Wizard_and_Enchantress_3.jpg
    fol-Demon_Hunter_and_Templar_1.jpg
    fol-Demon_Hunter_and_Templar_2.jpg
    fol-Barbarian_and_Soundrel_1.jpg
    fol-Barbarian_and_Soundrel_2.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't see a rainbow or unicorn in any of those! Damn them; withholding the good stuff.

Xeddicus on