Options

All those wonderful things we stuff in our cock-holes

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    yep

successfully ruined this thread

in other news: the store was OUT of bananas, which means I can only make 1 loaf of banana bread tonight. Although my mom's rehab place won't allow outside food, even home-cooked stuff (they're SUPER strict about lots of stuff), I still wanted to perfect it a but more before I made her a congratulatory loaf or two

:/

I can only imagine that that rule is in place because people in the past have tried to sneak booze/drugs in for their rehabbing friends or family

which is really fucked up.

Butler on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    seriously

okay, the people that check in are adults. They're allowed to leave whenever they want. They're ADULTS, it's not like the place can hold them against their will, there's no bars or gates or fences, they can just waltz out, get in a car, and go home whenever they want

what kind of person would bring in drugs.alcohol into that environment? it's silly

they want them to have alcohol, but still want them to stay in the program? uh no that's RETARDED, idiots

would it be a thing only the giver knows about? Like the cake they send in is laced with alcohol, or something? I don't even understand how that would even work to ANYONE'S advantage

ot the taker knows what's going on? but they want to stay in the program but they want to0 get that little bit of booze/drugs/whatever? maybe to tide them over?

I dunno, it just seems really weird

ALTHOUGH, maybe I can understand it, they're erring on the side of caution, but still. It's a general rule that works and makes sense until you actually start to think about it

and then you're like

wait that doesn't make any goddamn sense!

update: a couple more glasses in this bottle, should be enough to finish my banana bread
    I've noticed that i much prefer banana bread that's been slightly more browned on the outside rather than let the inside get slightly more raw(?) tha one would normally expect a cake to get

my oven basically is terrible, I am convinced its temperatures are 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500, and NOTHING ELSE

Raneados on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    court mandated rehab, rane

criminals be gettin' they criminal friends to bring them stuff

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    no!

not even that!

last time I was there I asked about that, being the curious George that i am

the program is 100% voluntary they don't accept court-ordered rehab, halfway-house stuff or the like

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    update: the wine is finished. It was MOSTLY disappointing. Apparently it was 13% alcohol by volume, but I am extremely unimpressed by wine's ability to DRUNK me up. I've heard good things about Yellowtail as a decent starter wine, so the next time I choose to have wine I'll get that. Even with the huge bottle and drinking solo., I'm basically as sober as ever. While I would trust myself to drive (even 1 drink is too many to drive), this doesn't seem to affect me terribly much.

What sucks is that I can't see this wine going with ANYTHING.

Livingston Cellars Merlot.

It's wine. It'll get you drunk if you drink enough of it, but while drinking it I often imagined myself eating several foods, and, honestly I couldn't find even a single one to go alongside it. While I am a huge proponent of "eat till you're full" dining, I do appreciate the finer things when I can find them and this wine does NOTHING for any dish I can imagine. It didn't even get me PROPER drunk, as I managed to clean my entire apartment, play music, and talk to several people while drinking it.

Overall? Not a wine I would EVER choose to go with food. Not even a wine I would try to "get fucked up" on.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice to wine, but I really hope there are much better options than this out there, both to drink to and to accompany food.

Raneados on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rane, I have the wine for you.

buckfast_tonic_wine.jpg

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    If they have it, I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the store

I tried some grapes with the wine, and holy balls that did not want to go down well, entirely unfortunate

Raneados on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Unofficial slogan of said wine.

"Buckfast makes you fuck fast."

Never have been able to ascertain why this is considered a positive.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I made pork wrapped pancetta with sage, capers and lemon.

It was nice, but the recipe supplied kind of boiled away half of the sauce.

Served with my usually lazy broccoli which is cooked in a pan with some onion and garlic.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So two weeks ago my best friends from college came to Korea to hang out and generally have fantastic times.

One of them brought this with them from Zingerman's:

267558_10150244856438113_501303112_7399543_1336518_n.jpg

If you were wondering, yes. That IS what about a ninety dollars worth of gourmet cheese looks like.

When I ate the Rove des Garrigues I think I nearly cried.

Also he brought a bottle of Basil Hayden's! I have really awesome friends.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rane: not everyone agrees with their relatives' decisions to seek treatment for their addictions and would seek to sabotage them by sending a "care" package that conceals drugs or alcohol in order to tempt them into using while they are in treatment

it's awful, immoral behavior that forces treatment centers to adopt seemingly ridiculous rules like the one you're butting up against but

there it is

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And some people are just morons lacking in common sense who don't realize that perhaps a cake soaked in rum syrup is a bad dish to pass at a alcohol rehab place. No ill intent, just a lack of rational thought. Also now I want to make banana bread, damn.

cabsy on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok so this is gonna be embarrassing but I don't care.

All my previous attempts at cooking in the past have ended in disaster (burned, undercooked, improperly seasoned, or just bad in general) and really not saved me that much money by comparison so I basically gave up and resorted to take out or sandwiches for like a year.

Today I decided I'm fed up with it and I'm gonna do something simple that I won't screw up that badly. Ribeyes were on sale like 3 dollars off per pound. Wish me luck.

rhylith on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ribeye's are pretty tasty.

I have a friend who always cooks them way better than I can.

I think he sears them then broils them.

THey are amazing.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Uriel wrote: »
    Ribeye's are pretty tasty.

I have a friend who always cooks them way better than I can.

I think he sears them then broils them.

THey are amazing.

I'm just gonna grill it. Like I said, something super simple that I have a very minimal chance of completely screwing up. I can tolerate a steak pretty much anything except bleeding or burned though I prefer medium rare to medium so if I mess up it'll at least still probably be edible.

rhylith on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    touch your left thumb to your left index finger

now feel the flesh under the joint of your thumb.

Thats a rare steak.

middle finger is mid-rare

ring is medium

pinky is well done

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Stale wrote: »

Thats a rare steak.

ring is medium

pinky is well done

Thanks Stale, you rock.

rhylith on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    cooking is a skill

just because you screwed up at it when you tried it at first doesn't mean you should give up cooking for yourself

it just means you should learn how to cook and keep improving

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    cooking is a skill

just because you screwed up at it when you tried it at first doesn't mean you should give up cooking for yourself

it just means you should learn how to cook and keep improving

It was just very frustrating. It's difficult to get portions suitable for one person without having leftovers so I'd mess up like 2 or 3 days worth of food. I'd usually try to cook it coming off a 10 hour workday so to add in another hour or more of cooking and end up disappointed wasn't proving to be worth it so I stopped. Then a little while ago I realized that was dumb and decided I'd give it another go this weekend.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    (and not touching your thumb to any fingers is raw)

Raneados on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why is Cheese so god damn delicious

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Thats a rare steak.

ring is medium

pinky is well done

So if it feels like the thumb touching the pinky, you're a horrible person right?

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yes

the ring finger is pushing it, but I'll allow it because women are unreasonable

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    female hysteria.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Thats a rare steak.

ring is medium

pinky is well done

what if i have super tough thumbs from years of playing fighting game on playstation controller?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    28oz can tomatoes
    1 large onion
    1 tsp basil (or 3 basil leaves if you have them)
    1 tsp oregano
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper (i added salt/pepper to taste)
    bit o sage
    1.5 cups water

chop and brown the onion in a large saucepot
    add tomatoes, water, garlic, spices, put heat on low, stir occasionally until you get a skin of oil on top (~2 hours), skim it off or not if you like

making this today. anyone have any suggestions for modifications?

also, are sauce recipes scalable? i want to start jarring some, like my grandma does.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    my friend cooked us the best prime rib

a perfect medium rare

using a low heat method

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Success.

Came out medium and tasty as all hell. I may go a little lighter on the seasoning next time but I'm pretty proud of myself considering how long it's been.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Orik mince up a few black olives and throw them in there.

Maybe some thyme.

Blake T on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    cadmunky wrote: »
    female hysteria.

That you overcooked my goddamn steak, yeah

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    You know Jess, every time I lose faith in the female species you come along as a shining beacon of hope.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    fumigation of the vagina

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    add tomatoes, water, garlic, spices, put heat on low, stir occasionally until you get a skin of oil on top (~2 hours), skim it off or not if you like

also, are sauce recipes scalable? i want to start jarring some, like my grandma does.
    Why would you get a skin of oil on that? None of those ingredients should have that much oil in it. Some essential oils and that's about it. Or were you supposed to brown the onion in fat?

I would add a dash of sugar to that pot. And yes, you can double/triple the recipe. Just be careful of the amount of strong herbs. I generally do not double/triple those, I season to taste.

You could try adding finely diced leeks or fennel to the sauce. Give it a little something different. Finely diced mushrooms. Rind off of parmesan.

For a meal, you can layer some of the made sauce in a pan. Make some indentions, crack an egg in each one, and cook until they are done. Really good.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    . wrote: »

Why would you get a skin of oil on that? None of those ingredients should have that much oil in it. Some essential oils and that's about it. Or were you supposed to brown the onion in fat?

I would add a dash of sugar to that pot. And yes, you can double/triple the recipe. Just be careful of the amount of strong herbs. I generally do not double/triple those, I season to taste.

You could try adding finely diced leeks or fennel to the sauce. Give it a little something different. Finely diced mushrooms. Rind off of parmesan.

For a meal, you can layer some of the made sauce in a pan. Make some indentions, crack an egg in each one, and cook until they are done. Really good.

I would assume he's using olive oil to sautee the onions down.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You know Jess, every time I lose faith in the female species you come along as a shining beacon of hope.

Mwah!

To be fair, I got distracted and overcooked our burgs on Friday but they weren't dry or anything, but generally I like beefs rare/med-rare. I think I'm over my blue phase unless it's filet.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

Mwah!

To be fair, I got distracted and overcooked our burgs on Friday but they weren't dry or anything, but generally I like beefs rare/med-rare. I think I'm over my blue phase unless it's filet.

Behold! Come one come all!

The worlds only uterus with it's head on straight!

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not true, I've talked my wife down to medium rare if I or someone else she trusts is doing it or if we're in a nice restaurant.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I love rare meat.

But I like hot meat more.

And I find that by the time I get halfway through a steak it has cooled down too much.

As such I usually go medium rare.

my ideal steak would be cut in two and one half cooked to rare and taken out and the second follows, 12 minutes later.

Blake T on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    medium rare is yummy
    lovem pink

skettios on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    medium rare is yummy