As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I would love to hear some cases of that.

"Johnson, I'm going to have that report on the McMillan account on my desk first thing Monday morning, right?"

"No you won't."

"Johnson, you're fired."

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The boss was an athiest, and worse, a homosexual.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    The boss was an athiest, and worse, a homosexual.

I thought the Jews ran everything?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are there any followup news reports on the people who were so into it that they couldn't conceive it not happening? I read that one posted earlier of a news crew following a 60 year old man, but I'd love to read more.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I too wish to drink deep of human despair.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mike Huckabee said on his radio show today that he suspects the reason this Christian doomsday cult got so much media attention was likely because pointing and laughing at any Christian group with firm beliefs is a favorite liberal pastime. I am paraphrasing. Heavily.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh please as if it was only liberals laughing at this fool and the fools who follow him.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I pointed and laughed at the drunken Taiwanese doomsday prophet earlier this month, too.

I'm an equal-opportunity point-and-laugher.

DivideByZero on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MSNBC.com wrote:
    Radio host who predicted End of Days to speak
    By GARANCE BURKE

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Christian radio host who predicted the world would end over the weekend said Monday he's ready to talk about why the apocalypse didn't arrive.

Harold Camping declined to immediately comment to The Associated Press but said he'll make a full statement in a broadcast through his Oakland-based Family Radio International.

"I will have more to say tonight," said Camping, an 89-year-old retired civil engineer who previously said there was no possibility the Rapture would not occur at 6 p.m. Saturday. "I will be putting out a message in our broadcast."

Camping had preached that some 200 million people would be saved, and that those left behind would die in a series of scourges visiting Earth until the globe is consumed by a fireball on Oct. 21.

His earlier apocalyptic prediction in 1994 also was a bust, but he said it didn't happen because of a mathematical error.

He told the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday he was "flabbergasted" his latest doomsday prophecy did not come true.

Gunther Von Harringa, who heads a religious organization that produces content for Camping's media enterprise, said he was "very surprised" the Rapture did not happen as predicted, but he and other believers were in good spirits.

"It hasn't shaken my faith, and we're still searching the Scriptures to understand why it did not happen," said Von Harringa, president of EBible Fellowship, which he operates from his home in Delaware, Ohio. "It's just a matter of OK, Lord, where do we go from here?"

Family Radio's special projects coordinator, Michael Garcia, said he believed the delay was God's way of separating true believers from those willing to doubt what he said were clear biblical warnings.

"Maybe this had to happen for there to be a separation between those who have faith and those who don't," he said. "It's highly possible that our Lord is delaying his coming."

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GOD: Hey, Jesus, is this a list of all the people we need to Rapture up ins?
    JESUS: Yeah, Dad.
    GOD: We don't have room for all these people! You gotta trim this list down.
    JESUS: I told them I'd be down there Saturday! I can't reneg!
    GOD: Just wait until Thursday. Anyone who despairs in the meantime? Off the list. Problem solved.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I think it would be risky of the oil companies unless they also suppress other research. What if someone has a breakthrough independent of the oil companies? What if it's even better?

Well point A: there isn't just 1 oil company. The amount of money any individual company could make by being able to simply manufacture fuel or make it obsolete is far bigger then the amounts it's possible to make from oil. Every oil company has an incentive to break ranks and wipe out all their competition.

And point B ties into the quoted: technological progress doesn't happen in a vacuum. No one individual ever comes up with a genius idea. Anytime any particular advance happens, it's because research and environment are pointing everyone in that direction - it's just we only remember the guy who got there first.

Sure, I guess I'm just assuming collusion if we are getting all conspiracy theory about oil companies holding back technology for their own gain.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Reuters reported on May 21 that the curtains were drawn in Camping's house in Alameda, California and that nobody was answering the door. Camping emerged from his home on May 22, saying that he was "flabbergasted" that the Rapture did not occur, that he was "looking for answers," and would say more when he returned to work on May 23

I'm pretty much expecting him to come out at this point and go,

"Ah, I see. My bad. I totally forgot to carry the one in Leviticus. Doy! It's actually May 22, 2110! It's irrefutable!"

And all of his followers will go, "Ohhhhhhhh! That makes sense!" And they'll keep on being dumbshits.

Side question: Did Camping ever explain which parts of the Bible said that rolling earthquakes would swallow the Earth at precisely 6:00pm? That seems like a highly specific thing for the Bible to say, and honestly for me, were I one of his followers, it would be the first thing that I'd would like drawn out. It's one thing to believe in the apocalyptic Rapture, another to think there's a code in the Bible that will explain the exact date, and well more crazy to think that code actually gives specific references to exact time of occurrence stratified by time-zones.

The bible probably told time the same way as everything else back then: solar position.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd think with the numerous Bible scholars who have studied the Good Book over the last couple centuries that there would be no secrets left to find hidden within the text. How Camping thought he found a clue everyone else missed is baffling.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Christianity is a very complex religion, and incredibly easy to get wrong. This leads to Christianity being represented in a poor light.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I too wish to drink deep of human despair.

Me three. I would pay for a follow-up to the Nytimes story on the family where the parents told the kids they were going to hell and spent the college fund. A page or two of the kids verbally abusing the parents for being idiots and saying "Where's your Messiah now?" should suffice.

Roanth on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd say it's not actually that hard to not invent extra random bullshit.

Like it's not as though he failed his Christianity final and accidentally got all the prophecies wrong.

He just straight invented things.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    You'd think with the numerous Bible scholars who have studied the Good Book over the last couple centuries that there would be no secrets left to find hidden within the text. How Camping thought he found a clue everyone else missed is baffling.

Religious scholars probably did see it. They get a lot of credit for applying some skepticism to interpretations. The big difference between a scientist and a religious scholar is that the religious scholar assumes the Bible is derived from divinely inspired texts.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's pretty obvious that this guy thought he was a super-special-snowflake for figuring this out when nobody else could have. He was arrogant enough to insist that the Rapture was going to start in HIS time zone - not all across the world at the same time, not in the Holy Land, not even at the international date line - but HIS time zone.

"I'm the genius who figured it out, I'm the first to be Raptured! Wheee!"

DivideByZero on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Christianity is a very complex religion, and incredibly easy to get wrong. This leads to Christianity being represented in a poor light.

I'm totally with you.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that 100% of Christians have it wrong.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »

I'm totally with you.

Gotta start with these folks. It's a shame they're not more outspoken. But we don't want them to get shot.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »

I'm totally with you.

Gotta start with these folks. It's a shame they're not more outspoken. But we don't want them to get shot.

It's cool. Liberal Christians are already basically godless communist atheists anyways.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, but guess what? The loudest voices think they're speaking for you, so unless you (collectively) stand up and say "we don't agree with them", your permissiveness contributes to Christianity's image problem.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »

Yeah, but guess what? The loudest voices think they're speaking for you, so unless you (collectively) stand up and say "we don't agree with them", your permissiveness contributes to Christianity's image problem.

Christianity isn't even close to an amorphous mass.

Fred Phelps does not speak for the Catholic Church. The Pope does not speak for the Presbyterian Church USA. etc etc

Christians stand up all the time and say they disagree with one another.

shryke on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He just straight invented things.

This. This is the thing I want explained. How does someone create a multimillion-dollar religious sect based on a prophecy that he literally pulled out of his ass?

This, part 1, subsection 2: How do I start my own?

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    shryke wrote: »

Fred Phelps does not speak for the Catholic Church. The Pope does not speak for the Presbyterian Church USA. etc etc

This. It's about time people stopped acting like ignorants and realized that there are different Christians much like how there are different races of humans.

Really shows how fucking ignorant this world is.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It does seem like the Christians who yell the loudest are the ones like Fred Phelps and such. Since they're not going to quiet down anytime soon, it would be helpful for liberal/leftist Christians to try and yell louder.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

This. It's about time people stopped acting like ignorants and realized that there are different Christians much like how there are different races of humans.

That's the nature of "member of X did Y therefore all X are SHIT^2." That a handful of people are so destructive that it creates the illusion of many.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

That's the nature of "member of X did Y therefore all X are SHIT^2." That a handful of people are so destructive that it creates the illusion of many.

If a black guy shot and killed your whole family you wouldn't go around thinking all black guys are killer criminals would you? Innocent black guys shouldn't have to constantly shout their innocence so you don't label them.

Same situation here.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

If a black guy shot and killed your whole family you wouldn't go around thinking all black guys are killer criminals would you? Innocent black guys shouldn't have to constantly shout their innocence so you don't label them.

Same situation here.

I wouldn't, but there are plenty who would.

Cantido on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

This sounds exactly like the shit people talk, "Well until every Muslim personally apologizes to me for 9/11, they're all basically terrorists."

Every single Christian article I read about that wasn't one of Camping's followers said this was some dumb, crazy ass shit. What more do you want?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure the majority of Christians said this was complete bullshit.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    October 21st! It has been spoken!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43140373/?gt1=43001

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Uhhhhh....

I guess it's gonna be another five months
    California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This month was just a continuation of the 94 pre-warmup practice rapture.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    October 21st! It has been spoken!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43140373/?gt1=43001

Thats pretty fucked

these poor bastards who keep following Camping are just gonna be sapped of any will to live, waiting for the rapture, indefinitely.

Better to have had some closure.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    MSNBC.com wrote:
    "Maybe this had to happen for there to be a separation between those who have faith and those who don't," he said. "It's highly possible that our Lord is delaying his coming."[/B]

I fucking knew it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FCD wrote: »
    It does seem like the Christians who yell the loudest are the ones like Fred Phelps and such. Since they're not going to quiet down anytime soon, it would be helpful for liberal/leftist Christians to try and yell louder.
    No, it's just that the media loves a freak show and Phelps fits the bill. And Phelps' demonination of Christianty encompasses him and a couple dozen family members, so he essentially speaks for no one.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shit, man, that's right before my birthday.

Better ask for some flame-retardant gear.

Again, isn't anyone going to ask him exactly what parts of the Bible he's getting this highly-detailed and specific information from?

"From what I've deduced studying the scriptures, Jesus will arrive Tuesday, Jan 6th, 2019, at 4:36 PM, near a traffic stop in Barstow, California. He'll be wearing a denim jacket and Adidas track pants, and he'll be delivering his divine judgment while driving around in a black 1976 Lincoln Continental with Kentucky plates. All of this is clearly laid out in the scriptures, mostly in Philippians and Solomon, but the Lincoln thing was only foretold in Second Corinthians."

Atomika on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So was Saturday like a dress rehersal or something? Is that what we're calling it?

I hope so because Saturday was a mess, everyone missed their cues.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So was Saturday like a dress rehersal or something? Is that what we're calling it?

I hope so because Saturday was a mess, everyone missed their cues.

That's ironic, Hell Week usually comes before opening night.

KalTorak on