As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    In Judaism, the going theory among the people who actually think about it (like the afterlife, it's unimportant background stuff even in the eyes of the ultraorthodox) is that everybody comes back from the dead and, along with the living, eats the corpses of Bar Juchne/Ziz, the Leviathan, and the Behemoth, who killed each other in a great final battle, as well as the salted remains of the Leviathan's mate (yes, out apocalypse myth includes lox, deal with it).
    Leviathan and Behemoth are kosher?

Learn something new every day.

They live on. One as an obnoxius late game monster/boss, the other as a very badass summon.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thinking of throwing a Rapture Party this Saturday. Quick, I need some good Rapture drinks/movies/games.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is a Left Behind board game :lol:

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure that there is also a Left Behind RTS on the PC.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Thinking of throwing a Rapture Party this Saturday. Quick, I need some good Rapture drinks/movies/games.

Shutes and Ladders: Heaven & Hell Edition

The player that reaches the top has to leave the party. Everyone else has a gender-blind orgy.

Then you release the locusts.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Yesterday I went and "bought" a new Porsche 911 Turbo.

Suckers... they won't even see the first payment.

But...

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This show is just depressing.

Listening to some weekend archive stuff that I missed. Mostly it's the same stuff I've mentioned before. It goes like this:

Camping: "Welcome to Family Radio."
    Caller: "This is Herp McDerp. I've listened to your show for years and I was wondering if you could read from the Book of Derp, Chapter 5."
    Camping: "...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen. Now caller, what is your question?"
    Caller: "I was wondering if this means [I can be sure of my salvation|the Devil is in all other churches|some question about faith versus works|etc]?"
    Camping: "Here's how we can solve your problem with Prime Numbers. Thank you for calling."

Pretty much every show, there's at least one "troll caller" who asks about why Camping hasn't sold everything or what his response will be when he wakes up on May 22. Camping gets a bit louder and defensive, says it's a nonsense question and it doesn't matter, and refuses to elaborate. I haven't yet heard anyone put this in the context of "well, if it doesn't matter, why not follow Luke 12:33 and sell your possessions and give everything to the poor", or otherwise exploiting one of the Biblical injunctions to give away your stuff.

Anyway, the sad part...the show I was listening to today, they had a guy who was (by his account) about to lose his job for giving out Camping tracts at work. Of course, Camping is fine with him continuing to do this.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I a bad person for not feeling sorry for all of those people who are going to be in a shitload of hurt after Saturday?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Kool-aid.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    vtPaa.jpg

Jokerman on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really hope someone out there throws the most hedonistic' Rapture Party' humanely possible. Drugs, sex, booze, orgies, worship of graven idols, witchcraft, adultery, money in the temples, the whole nine yards.

Quick, someone find me a rapper and a church for rent.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Am I a bad person for not feeling sorry for all of those people who are going to be in a shitload of hurt after Saturday?

Technically, yes. But you're in fabulous company.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I really hope someone out there throws the most hedonistic' Rapture Party' humanely possible. Drugs, sex, booze, orgies, worship of graven idols, witchcraft, adultery, money in the temples, the whole nine yards.

Quick, someone find me a rapper and a church for rent.

Serve bacon cheeseburgers and play Led Zeppelin backwards.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

Heaven is an 80's music video?

*Starts looking up local churches*

There are some theologians that disagree and will insist that Heaven is a cheesy 2000 era Trance Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbaWdyDipcw

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This show is just depressing.

Listening to some weekend archive stuff that I missed. Mostly it's the same stuff I've mentioned before. It goes like this:

Camping: "Welcome to Family Radio."
    Caller: "This is Herp McDerp. I've listened to your show for years and I was wondering if you could read from the Book of Derp, Chapter 5."
    Camping: "...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen. Now caller, what is your question?"
    Caller: "I was wondering if this means [I can be sure of my salvation|the Devil is in all other churches|some question about faith versus works|etc]?"
    Camping: "Here's how we can solve your problem with Prime Numbers. Thank you for calling."

Pretty much every show, there's at least one "troll caller" who asks about why Camping hasn't sold everything or what his response will be when he wakes up on May 22. Camping gets a bit louder and defensive, says it's a nonsense question and it doesn't matter, and refuses to elaborate. I haven't yet heard anyone put this in the context of "well, if it doesn't matter, why not follow Luke 12:33 and sell your possessions and give everything to the poor", or otherwise exploiting one of the Biblical injunctions to give away your stuff.

Anyway, the sad part...the show I was listening to today, they had a guy who was (by his account) about to lose his job for giving out Camping tracts at work. Of course, Camping is fine with him continuing to do this.

:^: for the Monty Python bit.

Noted above, I do worry that someone is going to do something rash (more regretably to their family or others rather than just themselves), but I will admit I am kind of looking forward to hearing what the excuse is on Sunday. It not happening just doesn't fit into their worldview (despite it failing to happen before; you'd think these people would be a bit quicker on the uptake when it comes to pattern recognition; they're busy finding obscure patterns in the Bible every other day of the week) so I can only imagine it'd be like if we suddenly found ourselves on an 8th day of the week, having just passed Saturday but with Sunday still 24 hours away.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Choose from the following:

[ ] We are not yet worthy for Jesus to return, so he is punishing us for our sins by not Rapturing yet.
    [ ] Satan mislead us, so we got the date wrong. Check back next week for the corrected prediction!

Somehow I don't think the need for massive doublethink is an obstacle for these folks.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The history of apocalyptic predictions and their aftermath is always interesting. There have been hundreds and hundreds over the past few thousand years.

Hell I'm pretty sure there were at least a few in like 2500 BCE about how mankind had become wicked and was going to be purged.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this whole thing is getting world-wide attention now. Everyone at work had a good laugh about it after seeing it in one of the newspapers...except one guy who actually believes it.

I live in the UK.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ask for his stuff .... you'll see how much he believes it

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think this has to set a record. I mean yeah there have been a lot of apocalypse predictions before, but how many got this much press/attention?

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think this has to set a record. I mean yeah there have been a lot of apocalypse predictions before, but how many got this much press/attention?

The Great Disappointment.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is just a warm up for the shenanigans to come in a year and a half.

That said, I also expect it to be a party of truly extraordinary legendaryness. Yeah, you heard me.

I'm expecting absolute debauchery here, people.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    So this whole thing is getting world-wide attention now. Everyone at work had a good laugh about it after seeing it in one of the newspapers...except one guy who actually believes it.

I live in the UK.

Obviously may 22 is the resurrection of Sid Vicious.

you know what that means, ANARCHY IN THE UK

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

How many were during the age of the internet?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    no one remembers y2k?

this is peanuts

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember y2k, and I was a wee lass at the time too! Elementary school. I remember thinking it was silly back then. I figured if it was really a big deal we would be getting pamphlets in the mail from the government or something, about what to do. Maybe announcements at school, something official.

But I do remember the brouhaha around it, I absolutely do. So the 2012 stuff is going to be interesting, though all I've met regard it jestingly.

There are going to be some nifty New Years parties.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To whom it may concern:

Due to heavenly server hacks, there is a possibility that the identities of those listed for rapture may have been leaked to the general public. Therefore, the Rapture is being postponed until further notice. For your patience, we will continue to provide you with hell on earth.
    -God

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate when people pass y2k off as a thing that was all some big scam or something people made up. The reason nothing major happened is because people were working for years beforehand to make sure nothing did!

I mean, I was still in high school at the time, but I'm a programmer now, so I've got some experience with how people see the one bug that gets through and not the hundred that got fixed before they ever ran into them.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Year 2038 Problem is going to be an even bigger pain in the ass than Y2K was.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh jeez, dozens.

Like, this only seems odd because they tend to fizzle when they're over. Obviously.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My brother installed all these ridiculous "Y2K compliancy cards" into business' computers on behalf of his company, I'm not sure what, if anything, they even did

All I know is they were paid some ungodly sum to do it

override367 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Year 2038 Problem is going to be an even bigger pain in the ass than Y2K was.
    Especially for Sony. Unpatched Apache? Really now...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha wow. Interesting find:

http://www.countdown.org/y2k/y2K_checklist.htm

This honestly confuses me. I mean this guy has obviously continued to pay his hosting fees for the last 10 years, and the site isn't ad-supported so its not like he left it active to gather hits from the nostalgia factor. I can only therefore assume that he paid a non-believer some money in advance to keep his vitally important apocalypse survival site online, while he continues to hide in a bunker somewhere to this very day.

These apocalypses are getting to be a real drag. Not only is the world ending on Saturday but then its going to end again in 2012 and my house is completely unsuitable for repelling zombie attacks, let along hell-demons.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Scooter wrote: »
    I hate when people pass y2k off as a thing that was all some big scam or something people made up. The reason nothing major happened is because people were working for years beforehand to make sure nothing did!

I mean, I was still in high school at the time, but I'm a programmer now, so I've got some experience with how people see the one bug that gets through and not the hundred that got fixed before they ever ran into them.

Agreed on the technical points. Y2K did also figure into premillenialist (the Christians who believe in a literal Second Coming, usually something like "the Rapture", and Jesus reigning for a literal 1000 year period after this occurs) thought, as yet another effectively arbitrary date for the end of the world. That's part of why there was such an exaggerated amount of hooplah over it.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Scooter wrote: »

Agreed on the technical points. Y2K did also figure into premillenialist (the Christians who believe in a literal Second Coming, usually something like "the Rapture", and Jesus reigning for a literal 1000 year period after this occurs) thought, as yet another effectively arbitrary date for the end of the world. That's part of why there was such an exaggerated amount of hooplah over it.

It was a scam because of the people selling y2k compliance kits that were complete BS. It's kind of like how the Church used to sell Indulgences (sin as much as you want, pay us some $$$ to go to heaven no really).

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I need a list of good end of the world songs for driving this Saturday

I have the obvious R.E.M. and Blondie songs .... any other good ones?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Out of ignorant curiosity, why is this?

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think it's 2k years after Jesus was on the cross

nm, it's y2k.2

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Out of ignorant curiosity, why is this?

It's another Y2K-esque thing, but for UNIX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Selner on