As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Geek Gifts from South Korea

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for gift ideas... for myself. My wife is in South Korea for a few weeks, and she promised to bring me back something cool. She asked me what I wanted, but I'm kinda short on ideas that would be uniquely Korean.

I thought about jokingly asking for a shitty MMO with gorgeous art.

I guess it not even need be particularly geeky, just something I can't easily get online maybe.

Delzhand on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Something that you like but in Korean? Korean comic books? Korean Magic the Gathering cards?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ooh, the DS is region free, right? Maybe a korean version of a DS game that's light on text.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it were me, I'd ask for soju, and/or snacks.

You can get soju that comes in juice boxes! Useful for boozing on the go!

CowShark on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Starcraft plushies. Starcraft plushies! STARCRAFT PLUSHIES! :P

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    A cell phone that puts the IPhone to shame.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get her to grab you a bottle of Mumblings of an Old Man

Best name for hard alcohol ever

Robman on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could get a model of Korean Turtle ship:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_ship

It is a 15th century ironclad warship and uniquely Korean.

If she ever gets around to going to a Lotte department store, they are literally brimming with cheap electronics (toys or otherwise) and strange things to bring back home. There's a lot of weird crap you can get from Korea, like Barbed Wire from the DMZ or Kimchee Chocolate.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I brought back Maple Story DS from Korea for my brother and he finished it without knowing any Korean. I'm thinking about picking up a Pucca DS game for myself before I leave.

Weird Korean snacks are a big hit. I brought chocolate covered corn chips, banana-flavoured chips, shrimp-flavoured crackers, pepero sticks, and other delicious (debatable) snacks for my friends and good times were had by all.

If she will be in Insa-dong, there are all kinds of awesome things that make great gifts there. My favourite is a little plastic wind-up robot that dances. I also bought a gold pig that you can splatter against the floor and then it comes back together.

Taya on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Soju. Maybe one of those traditional Korean masks.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well

if you happen to be slight of frame (or just aren't totally ripped) then Koreans make some pretty sweet clothes that run two sizes smaller than US standard. a Korean [L] is a US . This means that if you have trouble finding clothing that fits you could try the slimmer-fitting asian alternatives. They're likely to be cheap, as well.

Go browse the Korean departments of
    YesAsia
    and YesStyle
    and then ask your wife to get you an item without those pesky import fees.

There are all sorts of games that aren't cheap MMO's only available in asian markets; tons of cheap PSP games, endless soundtrack discs, etc.

Of course, there's always Kimchi.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178