As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kyanbu's Concepts and artwork thread

• AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay. First of all, you most definitely did NOT master anatomy. Studying it in highschool health class does not make you a "master". I've been studying anatomy regularly for 7 years now, and I STILL mess up all the time. Your drawings right now show that you lack a lot of knowledge about the construction of the human body.

You say what you're doing is a stylistic choice, however it's a BAD STYLISTIC CHOICE. If you want to have super long torsos, tiny heads, huge hands, and knees that look like someone took a bat to them, then shit, son, you're doing a bang up job.
    Because having to redo those character profiles for mischief knights/and any project done by that time 2 years from now all over again would piss me off to no end.

That's just lazy. Character styles can evolve, and change. Drawing poorly just because your drawings from 2 years ago are drawn like that is lazy. Fucking stop that sort of thinking. Jesus Christ.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DMAC wrote: »
    knees.jpg

aaaahahahahahaha
    ahahahahahahahaha

may the Lord Jesus bless you with His infinite grace, DMAC

Tam on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's it, I'm going vigilante and shutting this down. I'm a rogue operating with full anatomy.

Fugitive on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so is an avalice assassin a greedy assassin with a speech impediment?

Tam on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyanbu wrote: »
    Well that I didn't know. Well the term I didn't know anyway. The structure of the living body (basically what we learn in health classes) is something most people, including myself already know.

In my state it's a requirement in order graduate from High School.

Would have to master this if I'm to master Autonomy.

I seriously cannot tell if you're being earnest anymore. This is such a ridiculous series of sentences that I am more inclined to believe this is an elaborate troll. If this post and your others are an accurate summation of your knowledge, attitude, and expectations about progressing as an artist, god help you because you are in desperate need of a world shattering reality check.

Scosglen on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha Dmac reminds me of a certain nurse
    nursegollum.jpg
    knee wrote:
    kiiiiill mmeeeee

Yeah no a high school class on anatomy isn't going to make you super at it :/
    You need to have it all worked into your mind, so you can correct bullshit choices into stylistic choices. Sure you can make big knees as a stylistic choice, but a tumor on the knee isn't counted as a stylistic choice sadly.

m3nace on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Even after I master autonomy, I'll still draw my characters like this. Because having to redo those character profiles for mischief knights/and any project done by that time 2 years from now all over again would piss me off to no end.

Christ, I'm rarely happy with shit I drew or painted three weeks ago let alone trying to keep alive styles I tried two years ago.
    Having to redo those character profiles all over again would piss me off to no end.

Do you even understand how much drawing is involved in comics? If you can't even be bothered to redraw your characters two years later once you are (hopefully) better at art, you are not going to get much done. You obviously have potential for improvement as you showed in your 2008 to now, but don't fool yourself into thinking that because you have improved at all that you are at the end of the road.

Wassermelone on
  • KyanbuKyanbu Digital Artist Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That not what I meant. I know I have a very long way to go. Anyway I'm sorry if it sounded like I was ignoring you guys. I really wasn't.

And I didn't mean my style wouldn't evolve. It just wouldn't drastically change that much anytime soon.

And I'm sorry I really didn't mean to piss anyone off. It's not troll attempt it's just you know. Kind of overwhelmed my self a bit and made a few mistakes is all. I'm not saying I know a lot. Just that this isn't the first time I've gotten this kind of advice. Believe I'm still on the right path. I need to show it more is all.

Maybe it's best for me to just focus on improving and come back to this project another time. I keep aggravating you guys too easy. Which I really don't mean to do.

Kyanbu on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Because having to redo those character profiles for mischief knights/and any project done by that time 2 years from now all over again would piss me off to no end.

That's just lazy. Character styles can evolve, and change. Drawing poorly just because your drawings from 2 years ago are drawn like that is lazy. Fucking stop that sort of thinking. Jesus Christ.

More than lazy, I think it's cowardly. I think he knows his limit but is too afraid to say "I can't improve beyond this point" so he just hides behind a cloak of reasoning.

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2011
    Can't admit it? I've cried about it in 2009 on DA and on several forums (Pojo, Toywiz, Nuklearpower forums). Then I improved a little and I got better.

I can get past this level, I just need to sit down and apply myself.

I'm going to apply myself and I'm going to take your advice and improve. Honest.

I've made a vow to become a better artist. My friends and family believe I can reach greatness someday. I gotta try, after my ridiculous fuck ups with college I owe them that much.

Kyanbu on
    edited May 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    so is an avalice assassin a greedy assassin with a speech impediment?

XD

Was gonna change the title to Avarice Assassin as it would fit the story better in regards to how the plot unfolds and how this ends. And with me naming it Avalice Assassin because it sounded cool to me. >_>;

Sorry for double post, but I kind of want to save this thread from being a huge misunderstanding.

Kyanbu on
    edited May 2011
    Talk is cheap. Stop saying that you're gonna do something and do it!

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2011
    Okay I will!

And sorry for all the problem guys. ^^;

Kyanbu on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're studying properly, you will want to change your concepts two years from now, although you're still getting ahead of yourself. It'd be more productive for you to focus on improvement at the moment than completing your comic. Setting lofty, difficult, long-term goals will only serve to discourage you from practice, while setting some short-term, attainable goals will help you stay motivated and (if the tasks are diverse enough) will probably teach you a broader range of skills. For example, you could set yourself the goal of posting one figure study from observation on these boards by the end of the week. If you still want to draw from imagination, try drawing the face of one of your characters directly from the front, and then drawing it from the side right next to it.

Was recommended to check this out last night.
    Gonna try hunting this down over the course of the week. It'll help me improve by a very large margin.

Vilppu is an excellent teacher, that's a really good place to start.

Flay on
    edited May 2011
    Update:

Just to clear up this confusion. D-Universe is the name of the main story, not the Universe. Avalice Assassin is just the name of the side comic story.

No practice will be posted in this thread. I'll make another thread for that stuff. But I should have a new and better concept sheet for Desiree by the end of next week.

Kyanbu on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nah man, put your practice stuff in here too. No need to create a new thread for it.

acadia on
    edited May 2011
    Alright but only the practice stuff that's related to this comic project.

Kyanbu on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    .....why?

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    In the interest of not having 8 threads per person, please keep all of your work in here, ok?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2011
    Alright, I'll keep it all in here.

Kyanbu on
    edited May 2011
    Update:

DesireeNachtConceptDesign3.jpg

This is a new better design for Desiree Nacht, inspired by Assassin Creed 360/PS3 games. The guide lines I made for her arms and legs have been left in for reference purposes.

Sketch of the third attempt at Desiree. (Name being worked on). Still may have to just scrap the whole German name theme thing going on. It's still not showing any promise as a good idea. I changed her name to Desiree Nacht for now till a better name comes to mind.

Please note that this is NOT the final design.

Desiree Nacht (name is still being worked on.
    Race: Human
    Sex:Female
    Job: Bandit

More info coming soon.

Kyanbu on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how your style of anatomy works. I mean, those legs are all jacked up. You have those massive knees going on again. I'm guessing that those won't actually show on this character since she has baggy pants, though. Also, her boobs seem to be right underneath her chin. I suppose this can happen with a little surgery or possibly the most supportive bra ever but that whole chest area bothers me. The shape and the way that cloth stretches between the boobs just seems a exaggerated. Plus, the blade that's supposed to be hidden in her sleeve and pop out like in Assassin's Creed is too long. She'd never be able to bend her arm while it was hidden.

Grifter on
    edited May 2011
    Grifter wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how your style of anatomy works. I mean, those legs are all jacked up. You have those massive knees going on again. I'm guessing that those won't actually show on this character since she has baggy pants, though. Also, her boobs seem to be right underneath her chin. I suppose this can happen with a little surgery or possibly the most supportive bra ever but that whole chest area bothers me. The shape and the way that cloth stretches between the boobs just seems a exaggerated. Plus, the blade that's supposed to be hidden in her sleeve and pop out like in Assassin's Creed is too long. She'd never be able to bend her arm while it was hidden.

The knees I'm more or less moving away from. They're shrinking more and more with each new sketch and CG. It may be some time till normal sized knees are all that's shown due to me still finishing up old works, Though with Desiree, her legs won't be seen much due to the dress anyway.

The chest seems fine. I honestly can't really see how they are to close to her chin. If anything her neck is just about close to being too long.

Ah, so the blade was too long. I'll shorten it down by half, It should fit then.

EDIT: those two lines below her neck is her collar bone. (If I got the name right)

Kyanbu on
    edited May 2011
    'Right underneath her chin' is a bit of an exaggeration, but her boobs are high. Take a look at this diagram (NSFW):
    prop_female.gif

They generally sit around the middle of the ribcage. These are idealised proportions so there can be some variation like Grifter said, but they don't look anatomically acurate as they are at the moment. Don't fall in to the trap of drawing what you think is right, because often it's your assumptions that are holding your drawings back.

Another thing you should be wary of is not following your fabric through so that they 'wrap around' the forms. This is difficult to explain, so take a look at the image on the right here:
    c45c073cd736e0_full.jpg

You'll see at the bottom that the fabric does create a round line, but this line actually turns all the way around and goes behind the form. This is important if you want to give your drawings a sense of depth, and should be applied not only to fabrics, but to the belts of your drawing, hair, muscle mass, and so on.

Keep posting and you'll improve. Lets see some anatomy studies in here!

Flay on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not really a matter of your knees just being 'too big', it's a matter of you not understanding the shape of the leg at all. In your drawing it is evident that you think of the lower leg like a drumstick, and that there is a big bulge that constitutes the 'knee'. This is not the case. The bellies of the gastrocnemius form a huge bulge on the back of the knee in your drawing, but they actually sit below the knee region, which only makes sense, right? Look at your own knee; if there were no cavity behind it then you could not bend it. The front of the knee in your drawing also has a bulgy shape as though there were a muscle on the front, but there isn't.
    I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing out that even a basic understanding of anatomy will make your drawings look better, and it is really the only way make it work. Just tweaking the same misinterpreted shapes will do nothing.

This diagram isn't perfect but it at least can show you the shape of the leg and what is contributing to it

calf-muscles-side-view-10105w.jpg

If your goal is to actually make your drawing look better, then you will want to look up many more anatomy references and learn from them.

lyrium on
    edited May 2011
    The chest seems fine. I honestly can't really see how they are to close to her chin.

This may, possibly, potentially, have something to do with the fact that you actively avoid studying how human beings are put together.

Fugitive on
    edited June 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    The chest seems fine. I honestly can't really see how they are to close to her chin.

This may, possibly, potentially, have something to do with the fact that you actively avoid studying how human beings are put together.

It's like a wall in my mind that just won't go away. For some reason, I just cannot stand sketching outside of stylized autonomy. Not an easy feat for me. It just feels so, flat to me. >_<

Well next up for now will be various Knight Armors sketches based on a concept idea that's easier to show rather then explain, and those figure homework stuff I still owe on here. That will be my chance to work past it.

Kyanbu on
    edited June 2011
    MagicToaster on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anatomy based in reality feels flat? As opposed to what you're doing now? Your phobia of anatomy study has no rational basis whatsoever, and you would be well served working through it. If you are going to let mild discomfort or distaste get between you and studying necessary, fundamental draftsmanship skills, then you are doomed.

Another thing-- why are you so obsessed with the presentation of these concepts? You have your name and copyrights all over every character design a million times with links to web profiles, dates, various brand stamps, and it's just kind of ridiculous. This is not a page out of an art book or a videogame manual, it's a bunch of concept sketches for a tentative web comic. You need to be less focused on imitating professionalism and more focused on useful things, like producing way, way more potential concepts per character, rather than doing one and wrapping it in a shroud of text like you're christening a ship or something.

Scosglen on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When you say it's too flat I feel like you think we're telling you not to draw curvy people, but that's not what we're saying. No matter how round a real person is, they will not look like your drawing.
    You wouldn't say this person's legs are flat and uninteresting, but do you see how since they are real the bones/muscles/etc make a structure that looks far different from your drawing?

thick-thighs.jpg?w=318&h=479

lyrium on
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Anatomy based in reality feels flat? As opposed to what you're doing now? Your phobia of anatomy study has no rational basis whatsoever, and you would be well served working through it. If you are going to let mild discomfort or distaste get between you and studying necessary, fundamental draftsmanship skills, then you are doomed.

Another thing-- why are you so obsessed with the presentation of these concepts? You have your name and copyrights all over every character design a million times with links to web profiles, dates, various brand stamps, and it's just kind of ridiculous. This is not a page out of an art book or a videogame manual, it's a bunch of concept sketches for a tentative web comic. You need to be less focused on imitating professionalism and more focused on useful things, like producing way, way more potential concepts per character, rather than doing one and wrapping it in a shroud of text like you're christening a ship or something.
    It's all to prevent art theft which I can't fight back from should it happen to anything that's not tagged and signed.

Kyanbu on
    edited June 2011
    Nobody is going to steal your foxgirl drawings.

Fugitive on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously.

Even "Creator of D-Universe" seems awfully... premature.

Brolo on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You do realize that you're afraid that someone is going to steal your concept art based off Assassins Creed? Spend less time copy-writing sketches and more time coming up with ideas and practicing.

earthwormadam on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You should post stuff early. that ay you can get stuff figured out.
    so you're not the best artist...who gives a shit.
    even if you get an amazing artist, the chances of having a 'hit' is next to nothing. Start small...tell some stories in your universe. tell some short one offs. draw them yourself, post them, get feedback and learn.

NakedZergling on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's all to prevent art theft which I can't fight back from should it happen to anything that's not tagged and signed.

Why would they steal your art when there are professionals they could steal art from?

Wassermelone on
    edited June 2011
    I renamed the thread since the stuff posted here for review is now going to be mostly everything I've made from now on.

Why would they steal your art when there are professionals they could steal art from?

People steal shit just cause it's better then what they can do. The better your stuff is the more likely it'll happen. And I'm not fighting a legal battle over someone who stole my stuff and rolling with my original plan for all of my projects.

Though really it's the CG stuff that I finished that I'm the most protective of.

Eventually I'm going to reach pro, I have to take some steps to protect my stuff while it's still largely unknown. I take that much pride in what I do. (haters just gonna have to deal with it)

May have a Wacom touch pad and stylist around the end of the month (B-Day). So the crap shack sketches will be more detailed CG concepts from that point on. Since it'll be easier to do without using a mouse.

I'll practice the figures but my main stuff's staying stylized, Fair enough, after all I need to retain some dignity doing what I adore the most. (I won't sleep well tonight, again unless I say this due to drawing being my way of dealing with depression)

Also all of the sketches I made after May 28, 2011 (written date) no longer have the large knees anymore. counting the one that was just posted that's 5 sketches so far. Everything before that won't be changed due to being too far along for me to be willing to waste more time on.

Kyanbu on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Art theft is common in some places, mostly in apparel design. People who steal something just to say they drew it to a buddy dont really effect anyone, people who steal things to make money arent going to steal your characters from your universe. What would they do with them, exactly? You have an extremely internal universe with a few original characters that are drawn okay, but with obvious flaws. Most pros don't watermark their work, you dont need to either. Even apparel artists where stealing is horribly rampant would rather live by putting there work out there unhampered by gaudy signatures and watermarks, and just power onto the next drawing.

Your priorities are warped. I am an extremely proud and head strong artist, but I know that everything I make cant be sacred and that tomorrow I should be able to find mistakes. You can be proud and willing to improve, its possible. You are focused on the payoff, $$texas, fame, a finished comic. Put the thought on the back burner and really focus on what you need to, which is your basic understanding of drawing the figure. It will really benefit your project in the long run, I promise.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    You don't need to be concerned about people stealing your works. The images you are posting are likley too low resolution (dpi) to be reproduced in print correctly, so there's little chance of that happening, and the chance of someone claiming credit online and making any significant amount of money out of incomplete fragments is very slim. Covering your work with watermarks also makes them look tacky and unprofessional, and if you want to generate interest you need to present them in the best possible light.

You said yourself in the blog post you linked
    Let me be honest here, I'm a perfectionist. While I can live with problems and imperfect things (there's no such thing as perfect anyway). I actually can't live with the thought of a project of mine being bad. It bothers me greatly. That's why I'm so bent on improving as much and as quickly as I can.

The best way to improve quickly is anatomy studies. Try copying the ideal proportions of the female figure I linked earlier and posting it here.

Flay on