As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kyanbu's Concepts and artwork thread

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you are worried about people stealing your concepts, you should look into copyright laws. Just don't let paranoia run rampant.

MagicToaster on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So your reason to show us why you need to cover your doodles in tons of water marks and copyrights, is a blog post by you at deviant art about how you want to sell your story?

Also through out this entire thread, and on your DA blog, you keep posting about how all you want to do is improve, and how you have vowed to your family to become a great artists, but keep ignoring everything everyone here says, and just keep posting the same stuff over and over.

So which is it. Do you want to become a better artist, or do you want to just keep doing what you're doing; and ignore all the advice and critiques you see here?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • KyanbuKyanbu Digital Artist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EWom wrote: »
    So your reason to show us why you need to cover your doodles in tons of water marks and copyrights, is a blog post by you at deviant art about how you want to sell your story?

Also through out this entire thread, and on your DA blog, you keep posting about how all you want to do is improve, and how you have vowed to your family to become a great artists, but keep ignoring everything everyone here says, and just keep posting the same stuff over and over.

So which is it. Do you want to become a better artist, or do you want to just keep doing what you're doing
    ; and ignore all the advice and critiques you see here?

Both, rather I focus on it now or later I'll still improve through experience alone at the least. I can't do much about it right now though due to family affairs
    (if you read my DA journals you may already know about it). The sudden lack of colored stuff is more or less proof of this. Once that's all cleared up I'll get back to finishing some things up and showing proof to you guys that I haven't ignored your advice. (why it's so important to you, I'll never know)

The fact I'm responding alone is proof of that.

Besides my issue earlier in this thread was that it felt like I didn't have a choice but to stop doing everything and work. That I was being forced to not draw what I want and draw what you guys want. I got past it since practicing doesn't have to be the only thing I do. And I've found ways of practicing poses and autonomy in the past without having to drop my interest. I can do the same with anatomy.

I'll get to it in time but right now, there's other stuff that needs attention right now. It takes time to do things such as an anatomy diagram right, and I'm not dropping my stuff after spending over 3 years working on it all just to halt everything over a year or 2 just cause some random no name on here said they hate my knees.

If you don't believe that's your problem, not mine.

Kyanbu on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kyanbu wrote: »
    I'm not dropping my stuff after spending over 3 years working on it all just to halt everything over a year or 2 just cause some random no name on here said they hate my knees.
    Eventually I'm going to reach pro

Not with that attitude of yours, you won't.

Either take the advice your given, or gtfo. No one wants to compliment work that doesn't deserve it. Please TRY to tell anyone here that you have more talent and are a bigger "named" artist than 95% of the other forumers here. Seriously?

Seriously.

melting_doll on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EWom wrote: »

So which is it. Do you want to become a better artist, or do you want to just keep doing what you're doing
    ; and ignore all the advice and critiques you see here?

Both, rather I focus on it now or later I'll still improve through experience alone at the least. I can't do much about it right now though due to family affairs
    (if you read my DA journals you may already know about it). The sudden lack of colored stuff is more or less proof of this. Once that's all cleared up I'll get back to finishing some things up and showing proof to you guys that I haven't ignored your advice. (why it's so important to you, I'll never know)

The fact I'm responding alone is proof of that.

Besides my issue earlier in this thread was that it felt like I didn't have a choice but to stop doing everything and work. That I was being forced to not draw what I want and draw what you guys want. I got past it since practicing doesn't have to be the only thing I do. And I've found ways of practicing poses and autonomy in the past without having to drop my interest. I can do the same with anatomy.

I'll get to it in time but right now, there's other stuff that needs attention right now. It takes time to do things such as an anatomy diagram right, and I'm not dropping my stuff after spending over 3 years working on it all just to halt everything over a year or 2 just cause some random no name on here said they hate my knees.

If you don't believe that's your problem, not mine.

shutupanddraw.jpg

Brolo on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously dude, you need to extricate yourself from the ass licking world of Deviant Art. Those fuckers will say that a shit smeared pile of amputated limbs is a master work if it will garnish them one more hit on their gallery of derelict anime.

Mustang on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just going to say this now. I haven't read any of this, but whatever.

Many of the people that are telling you things right now are professional artists, and we even have a couple of people here who have successful webcomics. Their advice is worthwhile to listen to, and you would be wise to take it to heart now, rather than later.

How does that saying go?

"A fool learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

These people are telling you a lot of this shit because they see you following the same path they've followed in the past, or that they've seen classmates or friends follow.

Abandon your pride. Abandon your prejudices. Abandon your apprehension, and listen.

e: And draw.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    practicing poses and autonomy...

...the same with anatomy.

What the fuck are you trying to pull?

Also I've been trying to get your DA journal on my RSS feed but it doesn't seem to be working. Do you have a Twitter account that you post stuff to?

Here, just follow me and I will add you. My Twitter account is @Spectre_X.

Fugitive on
    edited June 2011
    Please, explain to me what is anatomy and autonomy. I have no idea what youre talking about.

Also, a serious question: how old are you?

MagicToaster on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is just painful.

You kind of remind me of a few artists from an old Naruto forum I used to frequent. They focused solely on the stylized world of their favorite anime and eventually managed to do a pretty good approximation of that style. That's all they could do, though. Even when they came to show off 'original characters,' they were just a mishmash of different features of characters they were already familiar with. And everyone kissed their feet. Anime is fun. The best artists of that genre generally have an extremely competent grasp of anatomy and structure, which is why they can effectively bend those rules while still managing to keep their characters believable. You, however, are starting where they left off. They have these extreme features to their characters that WORK due to a deep understanding of human anatomy. You have extreme features to your characters because your favorite manga or anime has drawings like that, but you don't have the basic understanding of how to make them work. You can approximate your features, and you can get pretty close to how they SHOULD look, but without the foundation you need that's all you ARE doing. Approximating. You're making guesses rather than informed decisions. You need to take a step back.

We are NOT asking you to stop drawing your characters and having fun. We are NOT saying that you're garbage and should give up. What we are doing is giving you legitimate advice for improvement, because that's what you came in here asking for. If you want us to CONTINUE helping you (because that is what we're doing -- helping you), you need to show us that you're listening. Just responding to our posts isn't enough. You need to draw. You need to show us your process. What kind of structure are you laying out for your characters before you draw them? Are you using the stick figure skeleton? Are you building your drawings up from scratch? Show us a drawing from the beginning, show us every step along the way, and then show us the final product. We'll be able to help you better with that kind of information.

Also, to echo Toaster -- how old are you?

acadia on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    He's 22 years old.

Grifter on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I move that natural selection be allowed to take its course here

Tam on
    edited June 2011
    I'm sorry, everyone. My stupidity and ignorance ruined me inside and out. Tam's right it's time for natural selection to take it's course.

I've given up my dreams because I've failed to even budget past this. And with all the dumb posts I've made here and other places. I've done too much damage to ever be forgiven. In the end I couldn't learn anything. Maybe I need some time away but after all that's happen it won't change anything.

This project was nothing but a failure from the ground up. And I'm not talented enough to ever hope of saving it.

This is good bye. This thread can be locked. If you have a problem with me or need to scream me out do it through PMs or on Deviantart assuming I'm banned from here for all the trouble.

The projects and rights to them are up for grabs, if interested you know where to find me. Assuming I don't chicken out of it.

Kyanbu on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I've given up my dreams because I've failed to even budget past this. And with all the dumb posts I've made here and other places. I've done too much damage to ever be forgiven. In the end I couldn't learn anything. Maybe I need some time away but after all that's happen it won't change anything.

Jesus H. Christ. Quit being such a drama queen. People are just giving you advice on how to improve your work. Not turning every obstacle into the end of the world would be a good place to start.

DMAC on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Irreparable damage my ass. Quit being a drama queen-> listen to advice -> improve -> win.
    For the love of god we don't hate you, you're just acting highly irrational and you know what? Quitting altogether is the most irrational thing you've done.
    "too much damage to ever be forgiven" shut your god damn mouth right there. I forgive you, now when that's said I also hate your knees - now get to it.

m3nace on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For fucks sake. Here.

This is my art before I started figuring out how to use same sort of advice the people here are giving you. Its quite awful.
    EjIMb.jpg

Here something I did in the past year:
    news.jpg

YOU CAN GET BETTER AT ART. IT JUST TAKES PRACTICE.

Wassermelone on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Pretty brave posting that cyber angel thing with no watermark on it Wassermelone.

*YOINK*

DMAC on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Since Kyanbu is quitting art forever, can we re-purpose this thread as another "redraw an older drawing" thread?

Of course, in order to make sure it remains on topic, a mod should probably rename it and delete all prior content.

Fugitive on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You seem to be missing out on an important distinction. The majority of criticisms here are aimed at your practice (the way you go about creating art and learning new skills) rather than your art itself.

Post some anatomy studies and I assure you, the responses you get in this thread will improve hundredfold. Heck, I will applaud you for proving us all wrong and being one the rare cases of someone can break out of the 'this is my work and everyone else can suck it' mentality. Otherwise, don't expect anyone's attitudes in here to change.

Flay on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll practice the figures but my main stuff's staying stylized, Fair enough, after all I need to retain some dignity doing what I adore the most. (I won't sleep well tonight, again unless I say this due to drawing being my way of dealing with depression)

You're trying to preserve your dignity by continuing to be a pig-headed, paranoid, arrogant, ignorant, unskilled amateur with delusions of grandeur who doesn't even have the common decency to pretend to take the genuinely excellent advice dozens of people have give you out of the goodness of their own hearts? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Nobody is trying to force you to do anything. What they're trying to do is help you by giving you advice. Advice that you ask for by virtue of posting on this forum. If you don't actually want people trying to help you, you'll have to get out because that's not what the forums are for.

People aren't trying to get you to give up on your dreams and stop doing what you like, people are giving you advice so you can improve doing what you like. People are getting upset with you because you're apparently purposely ignoring them or somehow twisting their words into attacks on your person that chip away at your soul for some reason.

Spectre-x on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can say this because I deal with depression.

Get medicine. View art as a hobby, not a coping mechanism. Don't lean on something so trivial to help you with a real-world problem.

Now, while you're waiting for your doctor's appointment, hear this: the people here know what they're talking about. You've read this for the past few pages now, but listen to them. Listening to and APPLYING feedback is how we improve.

Mangoes on
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I'll practice the figures but my main stuff's staying stylized, Fair enough, after all I need to retain some dignity doing what I adore the most. (I won't sleep well tonight, again unless I say this due to drawing being my way of dealing with depression)

You're trying to preserve your dignity by continuing to be a pig-headed, paranoid, arrogant, ignorant, unskilled amateur with delusions of grandeur who doesn't even have the common decency to pretend to take the genuinely excellent advice dozens of people have give you out of the goodness of their own hearts? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Nobody is trying to force you to do anything. What they're trying to do is help you by giving you advice. Advice that you ask for by virtue of posting on this forum. If you don't actually want people trying to help you, you'll have to get out because that's not what the forums are for.

People aren't trying to get you to give up on your dreams and stop doing what you like, people are giving you advice so you can improve doing what you like. People are getting upset with you because you're apparently purposely ignoring them or somehow twisting their words into attacks on your person that chip away at your soul for some reason.

so many true facts here, the italics, read them.

as to the don't use it as a means to end depression, as a man who also suffers from depression (as do most serious artists I know) art is a soother, it's not the solution, hard work and self esteem is the solution, feeling a part of something, feeling self worth, that is the solution, and from hard work that comes, work at your art, don't just create a half arsed dream of someone elses imagination and call it your own universe, I'm sorry, Avalice? Ivalice? rabbit people in an animé universe? stop trying to be super professional and recruiting editors and artists when that is NOT WHERE YOU ARE AT, you're a junior, you can't splash land into the deep end and expect praise, you need to start at the bottom and WORK, WORK, WORK, art isn't something that comes to you cause you think you know what you're on about, art is WORK. see that work word popping up again, don't give up, please please don't give up cause that is the worst kind of death, if you want to draw and you want to get good at drawing then work at it, don't discard peoples opinions cause they don't match what your followers on DA say, those guys would suck cock for a badly drawn anime fan art of any modern franchise if it would give them a follower or two. here no-one cares about rep or any of that bullshit, it's about your own choices and people trying to help you in your course towards being an artist, if you want to choose this life then CHOOSE IT, don't fucking pussy out the moment someone tells you you're not the greatest artist in the world cause you drew some rabbit people with giant knees and called it a universe. get over yourself, learn how to draw, listen to people and one day you'll be laughing, you CLEARLY have passion for this, so don't throw it away. much love, don't take any of this as an insult cause it's meant as genuine loving advice
    xx

Esiotrot on
    edited June 2011
    Mangoes wrote:
    I can say this because I deal with depression.

Get medicine. View art as a hobby, not a coping mechanism. Don't lean on something so trivial to help you with a real-world problem.

Now, while you're waiting for your doctor's appointment, hear this: the people here know what they're talking about. You've read this for the past few pages now, but listen to them. Listening to and APPLYING feedback is how we improve.

As bad as it's gotten, I probably should. Some of my friends have said I've been falling downhill since my Grandpa past. Honestly I didn't even notice till recently after calming down.

I feel better now, but it could happen again.

Gonna try some home remedies I've read up about earlier. See if that helps. If not I'll check with a doctor.

Oh yeah, It might be awhile before I get much stuff on here. I'm doing a drawing challenge on a another forum in order to variety up my DA page with different stuff. Unless posting that stuff here is okay?

On light of this sudden alarming discovery, I'm not gonna cancel the projects. I wasn't my self an besides I'd be bored to often if I did.

Kyanbu on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want a real-world, RIGHT NOW example? Look at my thread! In the last year I've already made noticeable improvement thanks to the people in this forum.

Srsly, I'm no fuckin van goghhghghghgh but I'm improving, and thats what its about.

ninjai on
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    post it, home remedies, bleh, sort it out and post your shit. This forums isn't about impressing people with your work it's about getting people to critique and help you with your work, I'd love to see you post every sketch you did in this forum, remember not every piece of work you make needs to be something, the best pieces of work I've ever done have been the worst cause they are the ones I've learnt the most from, PLEASE post everything you do in here, draw every day, and post each one in here

no more emo

no more project shit

just draw, draw draw draw, draw till your hand hurts, draw till your eyes go funny, draw till you're so sick of drawing that you want to throw up but all you can produce is beautiful images.

enough making excuses, enough trying to aim for the moon when all you can do is aim at yourself.

d r a w

this thread has been devoid of images for far too long (apart from wasser's beautiful transformation, much love)

Esiotrot on
    edited June 2011
    You don't have to cancel anything. Just focus on learning now. When you have the skill, then can pursue the projects. If you have notebooks of notes or files with writing and such in them, set them aside.

Post some art here, and post some writing in the writer's forum. Just calm down, and understand that nobody here is trying to insult you or pick on you. Like I said, a lot of these guys are working professionals and their advice is pretty much gold.

So when you get some time, post a couple of sketches. We will pick them apart (and you will understand that we say what we say in an effort to teach), and you will listen. And then you will draw more, using the principles you learned the last time to improve your drawing in some small way. And over time, you will improve more and more. At some point you will look back and be amazed at how much progress you're making, but in order to do that, you have to start moving. It's not going to happen overnight.

If you take anything away from this experience, it should be this: Honest criticism is the most valuable thing you can possibly be given. Don't allow yourself to have your feelings hurt. That's missing the point entirely.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Depression and/or related disorders aren't uncommon on these boards. I went through a really bad period a few years back, and in my case, using drawing as a coping mechanism would be the worst possible thing I could have done. I was obsessed with copying an image down perfectly, and I'd get massively annoyed if I couldn't achieve my own ridiculous standards. Medication made a massive difference. It's not a panacea - it won't cure everything - but you should definitely consider it and whether or not it's approrpriate for you.

But this isn't a psychology thread, this is an art thread. You should go to help and advice if you need more direction.

The only thing that's holding you back from achieving your goals is not your skill level, it's your attitude. If you were creating artworks that were only ever intended to be seen by you, then you could ignore what everyone else wanted and draw to your hearts content. But that's not the case; you want to show these works publicly, have people praise them and even make money off them. There's no way that can happen unless what you draw appeals to the people you're showing them to. Being able to step back and ask yourself 'what can I improve, what am I doing wrong' is the only way that this can happen. You may achieve a niche audience without doing this, but you will never expand beyond this if you choose not to change. It's difficult to do, but it's essential if you want to succeed.

Flay on
    edited June 2011

Man, what happened to your vow? Are you just going to quit when things get rough? Do you know what it means to be a professional artist (as in, to live from your art)? It is review after mind-numbing review, listening to people tear your work apart and then re-doing it at 10:00 p.m. while your pregnant wife is waiting for you to come to bed for the 5th night in a row, but you cant because it has to go to print the next day. It means staying on top of your game, artistically and technically. It means separating your emotions from your project. It means, being smart about your time and money.

DMAC, that no-name internet guy who gave you the knee comment, just so happens to be a professional illustrator. He could tell you exactly what the illustration industry is like and how heartless clients can be. Hell, most of the forumers here have jobs in the art industry, we could all tell you that these comments are NOTHING compared to actual art jobs.

If you have this attitude now, in which you give an epic speech about how youll be great and then you flake out when you encounter your first obstacle, how do you ever expect to live off your art? What are you gonna do when your editor asks you to include a new character or take out one which was close to your heart?

Dont think Im being heartless, this is the reality of the art industry. It is a job. It is fun, but it is also soul crushing, depressing and thankless.

Also, in the future, underpromise and overdeliver. Dont do it backwards which is what youre doing now.

Why dont you stay here in these boards and grow along side use? We have a competition thread and a re-draw your old art work thread. Talk with us in the chat thread or answer other forumers questions in the questions thread.

Welcome to the art world. Our slogan is "it is sould crushing"

MagicToaster on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Toast, your orthography is down. Check the batteries or something?

Kyanbu: we'll be happy to see your work from the challenge on other forums. Still, never forget about learning from the basics. You think drawing basic skeletons is bad? My art school started with drawing parallel lines all over the sheet :/

Mayday on
    edited June 2011
    Woah have no intentions of living off my artwork just yet. Right now it is just a hobby thing only started because of Mischief knights.

The challenge stuff will have to wait a few weeks since I have no net and no means of posting images. (Posting via mobile phone right now) Least till my adesso cyber tablet 12000 comes in the mail and/or my net gets back up.

Besides the emoing I did was do to depression anyway so it's all good now. Making a new thread when I'm able to since this one is just filled with me embarrassing my self over and over again.

Kyanbu on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't make a new thread. Fuck it. Just post your shit in here when you're ready. My thread is months old, but I just keep goin back to it. No need for the clutter.

acadia on
    edited June 2011
    Trust me, we have all embarrassed ourselves plenty here. Post here. Later on you can look back and see just how much you've grown.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Please, don't clutter up the place with another thread. This one is fine.

Grifter on
    It took some courage for me to come back here after a what happened a few months back. But I feel I've become a better person during my time away. And much less prone to impressing myself again. :)

So I could use some critics/reviews on some things I've done so far and advice on rather or not I should give no lines a try.

An NPF user request me to draw one of my characters out side of my confront zone.
    SippingTeaQueenieCG.jpg
    I think it turned out pretty good despite a few errors.

And some more playing around with my tablet.
    GracefulDarknessFateVanishCGComplete.png

And a couple month old FC that got finished a few weeks back.
    VioletandViola2CGComplete.jpg

After being such noob, I promise myself I'd never show my face here again. But damn I just can't stay away from PA.

Is it okay if I ask for a critic? I could really use some advice on things so far.

Current improvement progress:
    EmperessMagicianSarinaPhantom2011CGUpload.png

\/\/A random commission I got early last month. the character is not mine but the artwork is. \/\/
    VosursCommissionCGSP.png

And the most recent thing I've done.
    NeoBladeMasterSarinaCGSP.png

Free cookies (not really) for anyone who spots the lazy art techniques I used in that last one. XD I'm amazed no one has still not noticed it ever since I posted it on DA. lol

Your work still suffers from much the same problems as before. Actually, it doesn't seem like anyting has changed since you last posted here. You don't have a very good grasp of structure or anatomy (colouring's not great either but that's not the main issue at the moment) and your figures look stiff and weird as a result. Also you have an awful case of sameface going on. Everyone's got the exact same features and expression and we're seeing them at the same angle. Also, your stuff is just suffocating under a pile of anime cliches.

Again, I stress that you should study how the human body works. The Questions and Answers thread has links to Loomis books that go into that in some detail, and I also recommend Burne Hogarth's work. You don't have to be an expert on anatomy, you just need to know how a body works and looks and moves in three dimensions. Knowing that will make abstraction and stylization easier.

Try posting some work in progress instead of just finished stuff. Things in the sketch phase or whatever. That would let us help you find and correct glaring errors before you commit to the whole finished thing. Do some studies, some life drawing, practise practise practise if you're really interested in getting better. If you have been practising, show us your stuff and we could help you by pointing out things you might want to focus on.

edited March 2012
    I improved with coloring though I don't really have any decent examples that aren't NSFW sadly (mostly clean nudes).
    Well the knee thing been fixed... That's something. >_>

Still that's not a good thing for me if you still don't see any improvements. This is really taking longer then I had hoped. Well you said you wanted me to post stuff in the sketch phase right? I'll try to get something up tonight. It's part of a series of wallpapers I've been working on for project revise and I'm already 8 walls in so far.

Though there may be some delays between posts due to me being in the middle of a commission right now.

I might just start the comic anyway. It's been nearly 4 years going on 5 since I started this project and the story is all plotted out. I really should get something out. Then improve as I progress through it.

Kyanbu on
    Sorry for the double post.

Well as promised. Every WIP phase for every 1600x900 wall papers made for project revise (PB sized them down unfortunately). If I havn't improved much then I'm in deep trouble. Well atleast my stuffs not terrible... that's somewhat a good thing... -_-

MischiefKnightsReviseQueenieWall2012Prototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseSarinaWall2012Prototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseJackWall2012prototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseWalls2012Alexciaprototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseWalls2012AromaSistersPrototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseWalls2012Fredrickprototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseWalls2012PandoraRoxPrototype.jpg

MischiefKnightsReviseWalls2012Xanirasprototype.jpg

These have all been colored, But since they aren't the final product, these should still help you guys help me. I'll post more later. And those two NSFW things if it's okay.

NSFW stuff is fine so long as you label the thread and they're not insanely pornographic.

Those aren't what I meant, by the way. The lineart is already finished in all of them. I meant work-in-progress stuff, stuff that's still in the sketch phase. Finished line art superimposed over the sketch layer isn't what I meant by that.

However, these are helpful in that they let us see a bit of your process. It's too late to help you with these, as they're already finished, but we can see where you've gone wrong, more or less. As I already suspected, you're not doing anything with structure or form. You plop down a stick figure skeleton and start building your finished lines around that without giving any thought to the underlying structure of your figures, and even though you've got a bunch of guidelines here and there you only use them as a mere suggestion at best.

Again, look through some of the Loomis books we've got here in the questions thread and take his advice. Try constructing your figures. Build them out of simple geometric shapes. Practice foreshortening, too, because it just seems like a completely foreign concept to you in some of these.

I did a quick paintover or two which I hope will clarify what I mean.

Here's what I mean with a sketch phase. You use rough, basic shapes to construct your character, taking proper proportions and so on into account:
    kyanbuexample01.png

See how it's more than just a stick figure skeleton? Using rough shapes will help you figure out volume and structure. Your real body isn't made of a stick figure skeleton suspended in a bag of skin, there's ribs and muscles and organs and so on that you just completely fail to take into account.

And here's a bit of rough linework, too:
    kyanbuexample02.png

Notice how she's actually got an upper arm here? That's where foreshortening comes in. Everything between her shoulder and elbow just sort of disappears in your version.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    You draw your arms suuuuuper lonnnnng.

Another glaring issue is your lack of knowledge in clothing folds. Throw a blanket in a corner and practice drawing it as a starter (;