As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kyanbu's Concepts and artwork thread

124»

• MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kyanbu wrote: »
    This is really taking longer then I had hoped.

4473906936_355bb8b775.jpg

This stuff takes time. Patience and determination are your friends.

Also pick up an anatomy book at your local library either by Hogarth or Bridgeman, or check out the anatomy links in the Questions Discussion Tutorials thread like Loomis. And draw anatomy studies based on the studies in the book.

You can still work on your commissions and projects on the side but make time for anatomy. Doing anatomy studies is one of those things that sounds mind-numbingly, eye-gougingly boring to do, but once you start actually doing it you get hooked, you get to really enjoy it and you find yourself addicted to it.

Make a game out of it, find something specific you want to work on, like hands, feet, noses, knees or whatever and using the anatomy books as reference draw 100 of whatever it is your focused on. Trust me it's fun.

Art is always excruciatingly, gut-wrenchingly, painfully fun!

MuddyParasol on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Stop anime now. It's doing you more harm than good and you're going to be spending years getting yourself out of the bad habits you've already developed.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's been almost a year since you started this thread, and among other things the most singular and often repeated piece of advice given to you was to study from the real world to help give you a solid foundation for the skills you will need to become better at drawing. Things like anatomy, drapery, light, and understanding three dimensional forms enough to represent them two dimensionally.

All signs seem to point to you having done none or a negligible quantity of this kind of study. This new crop of drawings is maybe marginally more intricate, but any difference to the older work seems to be limited almost completely to surface treatment. There does not seem to have been any apparent sea change or evolution in the way you are fundamentally approaching the work.

Here's a bit of counter intuitive real advice, and it's honestly the only advice I think it worth proffering at this point: If you want to draw anime elves and cat women better, you need to stop drawing anime elves and cat women. Put it on the back burner. Spend the next 10 months eating your damn spinach.

Scosglen on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Seriously, stop drawing anime cat people. You can't possibly be making a living off of it, so stop taking commissions for it altogether. Work on real world anatomy and perspective, take an art class at your local community college or art supply store (they're a lot cheaper than you'd think they would be) read the loomis books in the tutorial thread, and step away from all this stuff you've got on your DA page, like entirely.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • KyanbuKyanbu Digital Artist Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thank you guys! so far you've all been a great help. :D Alright based on what you showed me and what I'll learn from Loomis books. I'll post a few new practice sketches to show my work so far.
    Seriously, stop drawing anime cat people. You can't possibly be making a living off of it, so stop taking commissions for it altogether. Work on real world anatomy and perspective, take an art class at your local community college or art supply store (they're a lot cheaper than you'd think they would be) read the loomis books in the tutorial thread, and step away from all this stuff you've got on your DA page, like entirely.

No. Breaks from it sure, but altogether, not happening.

Kyanbu on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Thank you guys! so far you've all been a great help. :D Alright based on what you showed me and what I'll learn from Loomis books. I'll post a few new practice sketches to show my work so far.

No. Breaks from it sure, but altogether, not happening.

I gotta give you props for sticking to your convictions. But definitely let those breaks happen.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Actually post those practice sketches, before you post another cat girl doing anything. Do it as a test of your will power. "Do I want praise and encouragement from people on the internet? Then I have to study anatomy and post it" I think you can do it.

• KyanbuKyanbu Digital Artist Registered User regular
    I've decided that as of today I'm no longer an artist.

To be honest I never was and I only did because my mom seemed proud of me for it. But It wasn't what I set out to do.

My passion has always been game design and development. D-Resonate and Mischief Knights started out as a 2D openworld platformer for the PC/Android Phones/Tablets. Maybe I should have just stuck with that.

Like honestly I'm still somewhat shocked I got good at something I only did for one project. But yeah I don't have a interest in drawing beyond what I've done. Things could change and I could find a passion for it but right now, I don't care for it all that much.

I appreciate the help guys and it's been a rough day (online) but I think maybe this was a sign that I shouldn't have pretended to be something I originally wasn't just because mom said "oh hey your pretty good at drawing". That was a bad idea, but it kept me from being kicked out so I guess there's that. XD

Game Design is my passion and maybe it was the direction I should have stuck with. When I'm ready, I'll just go find an artist to do the character designs like I should have done from the beginning.

I won't be drawing much beyond D-Resonate stuff and working on getting that chapter 0 up.

Maybe I'll do some fanart of somethings. After all might as well make use of the talent I gained by accident right? lol

I'll still be doing Commissions, and maybe a request or two if it's something simple. But from now on I am not an artist.

Anyway here's some fanart I'm working on.
    It's Zero VS Colonel (MMX4), might do X VS General next (MMX4). Gonna have to shrink Colonet's head down after I clean it though.

ZeroVSColonelX4prototype.jpg

And a commission I'm currently working on.
    CommissionVosurchasingSarinaprototype-1.jpg

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    So you drew ze anime cat voomen to please your mother?

Very intereshting.

freud1.jpg

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Have fun with

uh

that? I guess?

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I love the comments on this thread, but all of you guys should turn your attention to the doodle thread, or threads where people are actually eager to recieve advice of any caliber.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've decided that as of today I'm no longer an artist.

To be honest I never was and I only did because my mom seemed proud of me for it. But It wasn't what I set out to do.

My passion has always been game design and development. D-Resonate and Mischief Knights started out as a 2D openworld platformer for the PC/Android Phones/Tablets. Maybe I should have just stuck with that.

Like honestly I'm still somewhat shocked I got good at something I only did for one project. But yeah I don't have a interest in drawing beyond what I've done. Things could change and I could find a passion for it but right now, I don't care for it all that much.

I appreciate the help guys and it's been a rough day (online) but I think maybe this was a sign that I shouldn't have pretended to be something I originally wasn't just because mom said "oh hey your pretty good at drawing". That was a bad idea, but it kept me from being kicked out so I guess there's that. XD

Game Design is my passion and maybe it was the direction I should have stuck with. When I'm ready, I'll just go find an artist to do the character designs like I should have done from the beginning.

I won't be drawing much beyond D-Resonate stuff and working on getting that chapter 0 up.

Maybe I'll do some fanart of somethings. After all might as well make use of the talent I gained by accident right? lol

I'll still be doing Commissions, and maybe a request or two if it's something simple. But from now on I am not an artist.

I'm probably overstepping my bounds here, as I'm not an artist myself (my goddamn stick figures suck), but I have been following this thread (and others). Even though I suck at art, I like seeing what the talented people here do.

Okay, so that said, here are some thoughts from an outsider:

Do what you like.

At the end of the day, the person you ultimately need to answer to is yourself. Not your mom. Not your friends. You. Being able to look at yourself in the mirror every morning is very important. So, follow your true passion. This may sound overly dramatic, but you seem to be a pretty dramatic person.

Realize that getting good at something is a process.

Not to crush your new dream, but no game company hires a person without programming experience to design games. They also don't hire actual programmers with little to no experience as designers. Just like with art, you'll need to learn:

How to program.

How to program well.

How to make simple games.

Likely some general direction (are you looking to program the graphics? the levels? the AI?).

And, even with all that, you'll need to work and earn your place.

Even if you're looking to make a mobile/indie game, it will take a lot of work. Read through the XNA thread in G+T to get the briefest idea. Even something like Zeboyd's 8-bit indie games take months to create, with several people working on them.

Now, I'm not saying you can't make successful games. What I am saying is that it will take a lot of effort, time, patience, and discipline. Just like everything else worthwhile.

And therein lies the rub. No matter what you choose to do, it's going to take effort on your part to become proficient. You will fail. Repeatedly. The key is to accept it and learn from it.

But, whatever. Just my $0.02. I'll just go lurk over there now.