As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Season 2 even took it out of subtext. "The Dark Defender" was his superhero name.

He decided it wasn't worth his time, because you can't wear a black costume like that in Miami.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Nice

• Options
    Kat0NinetailsKat0Ninetails Registered User regular
    That preview made me want to hug kittens.... I love it.

• Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    Seems like it will Dexter vs crazy religious fanatics. I like it

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Season 5 apparently out on DVD and Blu-Ray today. Season premere October 2.

This is from 30 seconds of Googling.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Mattie wrote:
    Seems like it will Dexter vs crazy religious fanatics. I like it

Whats the betting it will be Dexter worshipping fanatics and copycat killers?

Anyway does anyone get the feeling that season 4 was a better retelling of season 3 in the fact it had the same morale of worshipping false idols?

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote:
    Anyway does anyone get the feeling that season 4 was a better retelling of season 3 in the fact it had the same morale of worshipping false idols?

I haven't heard that one. The two seasons don't really have much in common, though. If anything, it's seasons 3 and 5 that are similar (though they have key differences).

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote:

I haven't heard that one. The two seasons don't really have much in common, though. If anything, it's seasons 3 and 5 that are similar (though they have key differences).

It just felt that way with how the conflicts play out are very similar and even had Dexter not taking responsibility for his normal family life repeated.

Season 5 though good did feel like it was the fallout from season 4 extended over a whole season rather than a standalone arc (though in real life it would take far longer than that timeframe to emotionally come to terms with). I can understand where you are coming from.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm keeping Season 5 spoilers off limits for another month, to give people who don't have Showtime a chance to catch up and still post in here as things develop for them without risk of ruining everything.

If 9/17/11 rolls around and I haven't changed the thread title, send me a PM so I can do so, please.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Season 5 was horrible in virtually every way (the exception being Julia Stiles), and I find it highly amusing that the teaser promo for the new season agreed with me.

2 was by far the best (even with the meh Lila stuff), because it's the only season to actually use the supporting cast well.

That said, there's a reason Dexter is wildly uneven from season to season: in 6 seasons, it's had 5 showrunners. In a way it's surprising how well it holds together.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    2 was my least favorite season so far. Relied far too much on contrivance.
    I miss you, Doakes.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    2 was my favourite because the central problem, that it's Dexter's own killings under investigation, is for me the most interesting narrative to do with a character like that. I agree that a lot of it wasn't well scripted, but it was the most thrilling issue Dexter has faced. It does seem like it should have come later though, I'd have probably swapped S2 and S3 around. 4 was solid throughout, 5 was probably the weakest but it certainly wasn't bad.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote:
    2 was my favourite because the central problem, that it's Dexter's own killings under investigation, is for me the most interesting narrative to do with a character like that. I agree that a lot of it wasn't well scripted, but it was the most thrilling issue Dexter has faced. It does seem like it should have come later though, I'd have probably swapped S2 and S3 around. 4 was solid throughout, 5 was probably the weakest but it certainly wasn't bad.

The plot for season 2 would've been best if it had come at the end of the series, or, like, the second to last season (with the last season being the fallout from that, like Dexter either on the run or being stuck in the all-you-can-eat serial killer buffet that is federal prison).

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hey guys

GUYS

New season of Dexter in 3 days

• Options
    Teaser. Don't watch this if you want to remain completely unspoiled going in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OsOP7n1eM

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    WHAT'S INSIDE??? aaah can't wait

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Oh god it's going to be bugs or something gross like that, I just know it. I'm going to vomit this Sunday aren't I?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    or... puppies!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    or... puppies!
    I'm really not sure if that would be better or worse the bugs.
    My money's on snakes. The trailer earlier in this thread looked like it had a lot of snakes, and it just seems to fit the crazy religious theme better then puppies.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    About that teaser
    It amused me how that clip censored the swearing, but the only reason it was necessary was because Deb was there

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote:
    Season 5 was horrible in virtually every way (the exception being Julia Stiles)

I think it took the character in a necessary direction tbh.

The part with Dexter and the abusive boyfriend is great.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    WHAT'S INSIDE??? aaah can't wait

It's a Red Snapper! Mmmm, Very tasty!

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The premiere has leaked (possibly intentionally, as was done with Season 4) so I would be careful going anywhere on the Internet looking for Dexter info right now.

This is a heads-up for spoiler caution. Don't go downloading the premiere. Watch the first episode on opening night to help ratings. And please don't be that guy who spoils it for all of us here.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    The premiere has leaked (possibly intentionally, as was done with Season 4) so I would be careful going anywhere on the Internet looking for Dexter info right now.

This is a heads-up for spoiler caution. Don't go downloading the premiere. Watch the first episode on opening night to help ratings. And please don't be that guy who spoils it for all of us here.

For anyone that steals the premier and thinks about posting anything here, even in spoilers, DON'T.

I know there are tons of people (ie ME) that just click on spoiler tags in threads that they are up to date on. I will think it's a spoiler for season 5, and I will click on it, and I will hate you to fucking death.

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It's cute that you think you can stop it. The internet will always find a way to ruin someone's fun.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Season 5 is fine to talk about openly now. If you put Season 6 spoilers outside of tags, you will wake up taped down to a table in a kill room, you will see that I have screenshot printouts of the tidbit you spoiled scattered around the room, and we will have a nice little chat before I murder you.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Season 5 is fine to talk about openly now. If you put Season 6 spoilers outside of tags, you will wake up taped down to a table in a kill room, you will see that I have screenshot printouts of the tidbit you spoiled scattered around the room, and we will have a nice little chat before I murder you.

That's pretty menacing. Is that from something?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

That's pretty menacing. Is that from something?

Saw I think.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    What will be inside?
    ebYzn.jpg

• Options
    I wouldn't even care that it came out of nowhere and makes no sense. I'd just welcome him back with open arms.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Season 6 speculations:
    I hope Dexter goes after some crazed religious loon. And then Mos Def is just there for some reason.

• Options
    nhrnnhrn Registered User regular
    Okay, around the 40 second mark, is that him with someone else's blood on his chest, or has he been stabbed/shot? Because my first instinct was that Dexter was injured, but I really can not be sure

• Options
    edited September 2011
    nhrn wrote:
    Okay, around the 40 second mark, is that him with someone else's blood on his chest, or has he been stabbed/shot? Because my first instinct was that Dexter was injured, but I really can not be sure
    They're juxtaposing the pictures of Christ's wounds with Dexter with blood on his shirt. He's also holding what looks to be a shard of glass. My guess is that he gets a stigmata-like injury from breaking glass.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    First rule of Dexter trailers is to not trust them.

• Options
    This starts in a few short hours

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dexter was so good.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    This was a really good episode you guys

My favorite part?
    No more Angel/Maria bullshit

• Options
    Really good, though the introduction of
    Batista's sister
    was pretty clunky with the exposition.

I loved
    Dexter finding out that he's popular. His dad was so proud!

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    That was really solid.

The only vaguely cynical comment I have is that
    as a former Floridian, I am not picking up snakes without spending a minute identifying them. Seriously, it seems like every damn day in school we were taught to stay the fuck away from the snakes that live in Florida.

steam_sig.png