As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I don't remember a scene of Deb freaking out but I can guess based on this episode that Masuka's assistant
    reconstructs a scene from the Ice Truck Killer's kill room. Deb walks in unawares and BOOM, freak out.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I'm not liking this season very much so far. We see too much of the season's bad guy and he's lame. At least last night's "kill of the week" character was interesting.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote:
    Well...
    That's certainly what they're hinting at what with Dexter's "people obsessed with serial killers are serial killers" thing. Very creepy for sure, as for the previews, I was trying to figure out why she would be freaking out so much but yeah, that sort of makes sense...
    I was thinking more along the lines of her unearthing new facts about the case, possibly linking Dexter more to it, since she's been shown as competent

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i like how deb hired a doakes 2.0
    he's even black

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Doakinator

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The assistant...

Anyone else pondering that she might be a plant from FBI or something? Maybe they suspect someone in the department of something...tampering with evidence or questions about the ice truck killer but considering the last few serial killers have been related rather heavily to the employees of that department, they may be wanting to secure evidence through non-standard channels.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    i like how deb hired a doakes 2.0
    he's even black

I thought Quinn was already Doakes 2.0.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Quinn was Doak Harder.

This guy is Doak With a Vengeance.

Next season we'll get Doak Free or Doak Doak.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Quinn was Doak Harder.

This guy is Doak With a Vengeance.

Next season we'll get Doak Free or Doak Doak.
    An all new season of Dexter, starring special guest Justin Long? Surprise motherfucker!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I still think they need to have something happen to Dexter on an emotional level or something that causes Doakes to replace Harry as his invisible friend for an episode or two.

Dexter would be lamenting something bad happening, and then boom, Doakes jumps out, "Surprise, motherfucker! Maybe you should stop killing people like a freak if you don't want bad things happening to you? Motherfucker."

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So did I miss something between this season and the last? I thought the kids would be spending more time with him.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    skeldare wrote:
    What's with all the links? I almost smell site-whoring.

And they put Dexter above The Sopranos...

These are egregious offenses.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nigwp2gb6UQ

That's the preview for the next episode. Called to a crime scene and Debra at 40.

Yeah, seems more like an ITK setup than someone dying on further review.

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    Dunno - she looked upset, and then there was the "No!" - but it could be edited to mislead.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The first two eps of this season have kinda sucked really hard. Aside from the Mos Def character, not a single person has been interesting or compelling. This ep seemed to be a little better, but the season still seems to be going nowhere fast.
    I really liked Dex's interactions with the Tooth Fairy, and I liked seeing Deb adjust to the stress of her new job. However, I still do not care at all for Hanks or whoever the old guy is. I hope hope hope against hope they're ramping up to something awesome.

*GASP* turn in your geek card right now.
    "whoever the old guy is" is Admiral Adama/ Lieutenant Castillo

Arlington on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    I still think they need to have something happen to Dexter on an emotional level or something that causes Doakes to replace Harry as his invisible friend for an episode or two.

Dexter would be lamenting something bad happening, and then boom, Doakes jumps out, "Surprise, motherfucker! Maybe you should stop killing people like a freak if you don't want bad things happening to you? Motherfucker."

I've been wanting this since season 3.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote:
    So did I miss something between this season and the last? I thought the kids would be spending more time with him.

I had this very question. I asked a friend of mine, and she said that since the other kids "weren't his" he isn't watching them. They're with their grandparents, but he apparently just gave up on parenting them. I feel like that could've been better explained...after what happened I think shipping off two kids is a big deal.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    They had a couple of tearful farewell episodes last season.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I questioned it at first, then I realized Dexter is a sociopath.

At least that's how I reconcile it. It's more like they just didn't want to write storylines for them and found them to be a hindrance to Dexter going out and killing people (Harrison is just a toddler that he can leave with a babysitter and not have him question why Daddy is out all the time, Astor and Cody are what 13 and 11?).

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Arlington wrote:
    The first two eps of this season have kinda sucked really hard. Aside from the Mos Def character, not a single person has been interesting or compelling. This ep seemed to be a little better, but the season still seems to be going nowhere fast.
    I really liked Dex's interactions with the Tooth Fairy, and I liked seeing Deb adjust to the stress of her new job. However, I still do not care at all for Hanks or whoever the old guy is. I hope hope hope against hope they're ramping up to something awesome.

*GASP* turn in your geek card right now.
    "whoever the old guy is" is Admiral Adama/ Lieutenant Castillo

See, I don't even know who those people are.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Battlestar.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I watched some behind the scenes thing and the actors said they wanted the show to start about a year after last season so Dexter has come to terms with the kids being with the grandparents and that he is already over Rita's death and Lumen's departure.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    That seems rather lazy to me.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I want Dexter to start actually acting like a sociopath again. One of the most compelling parts of season one are the scenes in which Dexter is learning how to interact with other people and how to "pass" for a normal boy. I really miss that aspect of the show as Dexter is now really personable and seems to have developed a conscience.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I want Dexter to start actually acting like a sociopath again. One of the most compelling parts of season one are the scenes in which Dexter is learning how to interact with other people and how to "pass" for a normal boy. I really miss that aspect of the show as Dexter is now really personable and seems to have developed a conscience.

I actually like that he has grown

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I like the fact that the season is set a year later so we're not really dealing with the baggage of the two blonds. He's moved on and the show can start new storylines.

Dealing with Rita's death was something everyone wanted to see. I don't think people cared much for Lumen, much less how Dexter would have handled it. If they had this season start immediately after last season with him dealing with it, people would get annoyed. If the writers had this season start immediately after last season with no mention of Lumen, people would get annoyed at the inconsistency of the storyline.

Jumping forward a year is win-win

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    And as much as I loved Doakes, the show's writers knew they couldn't have those two characters interact over 6 seasons without Doakes figuring out what was going on at some point. The man was literally spending all his free time investigating Dexter. It makes more sense that they'd eventually have to confront one another than for his suspicions to be a running gag.

• Options
    And as much as I loved Doakes, the show's writers knew they couldn't have those two characters interact over 6 seasons without Doakes figuring out what was going on at some point. The man was literally spending all his free time investigating Dexter. It makes more sense that they'd eventually have to confront one another than for his suspicions to be a running gag.

That's true, but I wish they'd come up with a better exit for him.
    Seriously, fuck Lila.

I still believe that Doakes deserves a postmortem visit to Dexter like Brian and Harry.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I am really loving this season.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Artereis wrote:

I had this very question. I asked a friend of mine, and she said that since the other kids "weren't his" he isn't watching them. They're with their grandparents, but he apparently just gave up on parenting them. I feel like that could've been better explained...after what happened I think shipping off two kids is a big deal.

But at the end of last season the kids ask if they can stay with Dexter, and he said yes, and they were happy. Was that just for the summer, or...?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I am really loving this season.

Not sure why. . .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah myself and people I know in real life are the only ones as far as I can tell from this thread
    I like the three big new characters, the two different takes on faith/spiritual mentoring, I'm finding the cop stories to be fun (la guerta losing and looking bad, quin and batista today, the new guy). The only miss for me so far is masuka's assistant but only because I don't know what she's up to. I also really like how fucked up the kills are, not that that's new but I guess the theme works for me. todays is something I think we've not seen before? a trap setup for the cops? I could definitely have just forgotten a kill somewhere.

sorry if I spelled any or all names incorrectly

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    don't get me wrong. i do not dislike this season at all. i am just not super excited or invested yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oh okay. I can understand that entirely, I thought it was more negative than that.

• Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    That last episode took things to a ridiculous "Saw" level of silliness. It makes no sense and is just there for the dramatic "fucked-up-ness" of the reveal.
    So Colin Hanks has his own Harry? Ugh. They've telegraphed it so clearly. It doesn't take a second viewing to notice how the waitress never recognizes or looks at Olmos' character.

Then Religious boy sets up an ELABORATE angel "kill" with chains and pulley that leaves the victims alive until being discovered, and remains at the crime scene to watch it being uncovered? What if the entire cast hadn't walked into that greenhouse and that random cop hadn't tripped that line? They would have removed the girl, then would have had a positive ID on the killer and then the entire mystery would have been solved. He was standing right outside. It's only to prolong the hunt/kill/mystery that any of that happened.

I was laughing at the locusts. It's so silly.

The entire episode is just filler. I'm done with this show.

History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ....'kay. Have fun.
    It's funny because I took this episode as having several strong points that Olmos's character is an actual living person. We had Dexter's comments on the two methodologies and then the whole ancient sword disappearance from the guys last job.

Really the biggest piece of evidence for me is the results of the waitress thing. From what perspective are we watching events if Travis (the younger killer) is totally surprised by how he finds the waitress when he wakes up?

Obviously they are playing around with the "Is he real?" thing. I don't care. Olmos, as always, is a joy to watch in pretty much any character.
    I'll be amused if the subplot gets resolved by him stabbing the fuck out of Dexter.

I'm rather enjoying this season. Dexter's arc isn't a retread of stuff we've seen a billion times from him, Deb's is alright and her panic mode attacks are so much less annoying when she has some basis for having them, shit, even Masuka's storyline isn't horrible.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    My guess
    Olmos is dead but wasn't when he met the kid. Maybe the kid accidentally hit him with a car or something, and his subsequent embodiment as his dark passenger is a coping mechanism.

And Masuka, dude, learn how ebay works. Time of sale does not equal instant despatch.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm actually digging Masuka's storyline. It's so easy to think the worst of him, but...
    His "we're done" when he realized that Hot Intern Girl broke the chain of custody was really satisfying. I hope he doesn't let her weasel her way back into his good graces. He's smarter than that.

The "angel" scene was, in fact, kinda silly, in a lot of ways.
    Completely aside from the tripwire not being totally reliable (maybe there were backup triggers?), they wouldn't just shrug and say "she's already gone." They'd try to save her anyway, instead of poking around for locusts.

Regarding Olmos's character:
    He could be both imaginary and real. He went off the grid three years prior with the ancient sword. Presumably he took his student Hanks, aka Alpha Omega, with him because he displayed Dark Passenger tendencies. Olmos could have basically programmed Alpha Omega to see him even when he's not there, to keep him focussed on the plan. So when Dexter figures out that Alpha Omega has a ghost mentor, too, the shocking swerve could be that the "ghost" mentor actually shows up physically and messes his shit right up.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Alpha and Omega is the way the term is typically rendered. Beginning and end, yadda yadda yadda.

I will totally admit that Dexter has always been kinda silly in many ways. Just his usage of his cell phone should have gotten him caught like 52 different ways.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    _J_ wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    Artereis wrote:

But at the end of last season the kids ask if they can stay with Dexter, and he said yes, and they were happy. Was that just for the summer, or...?

It was just for the summer