As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NetHack-How many different ways can you die? (Discussion of other Roguelikes welcome)

13»

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Everytime I see one of these threads, it makes me sad that there aren't more (of high quality) roguelikes on the iPhone. Mobile gaming is pretty much perfect for roguelike gameplay.

RogueTouch and Sword of Fargoal have been my two favourites so far. There's one called Cavern that I'd like to try, but it's priced outside my impulse buy range. It has stores, which seems to be a forgotten feature in a lot of roguelikes.

steam_sig.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    The Sword of Fargoal phone app is tight. My gripes with it are minor, but it's definitely worth the $3 or whatever.

Putzing around on my computer the other day, I saw I had an in-progress NetHack knight (still in the early game, but with
    Excalibur
    ) and decided to give him a spin.

Things are going well:
    Smoky potions turned out to be object detection, so most nymphs have them. I got a
    wish
    from my first blessed one!
    blessed rustproof +3 grey dragon scale mail, got +0
    On the last level of Sokoban now, it's the
    amulet of reflection
    version.
    I've acquired a unicorn horn and have IDed some important scrolls (identify, enchant armor) but I am still surprisingly squishy.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Nice on getting both magic resist and reflection. I usually go for the reflection scale mail myself, since I prefer an Amulet of Life Saving.

It covers you from the occasional BS or stupid mistake. Though it doesn't protect you from the same stupid mistake twice in a row (see my post last year about casting Finger of Death on myself - twice).

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    So, I'm probably 20 years late to the party, but I just found out about UnReal World. It's kind of a roguelike that is set in a world vastly influenced by iron age Finland. You have to fish, cut down trees, make a fire, cook your fish, just so you don't starve to death. I've only played it for a bit so far, but it's got so much charm that I had to put the link on here in case there are some people who don't know about it.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    So, I'm probably 20 years late to the party, but I just found out about UnReal World. It's kind of a roguelike that is set in a world vastly influenced by iron age Finland. You have to fish, cut down trees, make a fire, cook your fish, just so you don't starve to death. I've only played it for a bit so far, but it's got so much charm that I had to put the link on here in case there are some people who don't know about it.

So THATS what the kid a row up was playing

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    DoomRL got a tiles update.
    Looks pretty good.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    A DoomRL tileset and a new version of URW.

I'm already having my time destroyed with the A Valley Without Wind beta. Where will I find the time?

Speaking of AVWW it has some roguelike-like qualities. Lots of procedural generation for levels and missions is used, and there is permadeath, all in the format of a side scrolling action/platformer. There is an overworld metagame too that brings in a nice touch of strategy. All of your gear gets stashed, and it's inherited by your next character so that takes some of the sting out of dying. And dying is something that can happen quickly if you step beyond your abilities. It's from the AI War gang, Arcen so the beta has been a long affair. The game is nearing release in about a month, and the game's mechanics are basically in a solid form. There will be tweaking here and there, and a few more things remain to be fleshed out, but what's there is really compelling stuff. They have a demo version of the beta up (this is a really cool thing on its own) so you can try it out and decide if you want to preorder it at a 50% discount and beta access. They've also committed to giving the game the same treatment AI War has received; long term active support and free DLC. Going by AI War that means entirely new game mechanics, monsters, spells, missions. They won't leave any aspect of the game untouched over time. And the actual expansions will most likely offer even more playability and expand on what they introduce in regular updates.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Yeah, nearly every week, there's brand new content in the AVWW beta. Not just "a monster" or "a tileset" but massive UI changes, new features, revamped mechanics. After a month, it is almost like a brand new game. Honestly, I don't actually find the combat compelling. It feels like I'm just throwing blobs at other blobs. If there were physical weapons instead of just spells, it might feel like there's more "meat" to it. However, a more robust combat and/or crafting system would probably make this a game that I would never stop playing. The ideas are really impressive, and some of the later bosses are awesome.

Oh, and it has multiplayer. Co-op multiplayer sidescrolling procedurally generated worlds... it's like a co-op Metroidvania that is different every time you play it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    They just introduced a new Platforming difficulty to the game. Cranking that up will give the combat a new dynamic, especially underground and in Boss areas.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Metallikat wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Cataclysm lately. It's a post apocalyptic roguelike where you have to survive various zombies, monsters and NPC's, while collecting food and supplies to survive. It has quite a bit of crafting you can do (using a machete to sharpen a mop into a spear or makeshift silencers for guns), a large map with tons of locations to explore. It's main limitation though, is you have to play it online via a client if you're on windows. If you're on Linux then you can compile it and play it offline.

Link to the Dwarf Fortress forum post with more info, especially on how to get the client up and running.
    Quotin' this because I found out about this a few days ago and have been havin' fun with it. The devs made a Windows compiler, but you have to get a Linux shell or whatever to use it (MinGW) but this also lets you screw around with the source code to tweak variables and the like. Anyway, notes and whatnot on what I've observed:

A) Intelligenec and Perception are your two most important stats when making a character: Intelligence affects skill development rates, book reading speed and how hard a book you can comprehend, and since a LOT of your skill edvelopment is going to come from books, so pushing to 14 points is always a good bet. Perception affects your to-hit bonus for ranged combat and for trap spotting, and the bonus is much better per point than that given by Dexterity. As far as traits go, Light Eater is incredibly useful for stretching out food stores and Animal Empathy makes hunting much easier. Wool Allergy, Ugly, Trigger Happy, Glass Jaw and Lightheaded are good negative traits to take as the impacts are relatively minor depending on how you play and'll give you extra points to spend on stats and traits.

B) Don't bother with doing missions or anything yet, NPCs are pretty barebones at this point and you'll honestly be better off just murdering the dude you start with and taking his stuff.

C) Unless it's a guarenteed one-on-one fight against an enemy and you can confidently do hit-and-fade attacks, RUN LIKE A FUCKER if you've got monsters nearby. Unless you've got plenty of ammo and a silent weapon, fighting groups is suicide and hardly worth it. Except...

D) ...if you can funnel them through a window frame and pick them off one by one. Window frames quadruple the time costs for movement and attack, so an enemy forced into one will be almost helpless if you're anywhere near competant in melee. It's also a good way to easily stockpile lots of bodies for practicing your Survival skill.

E) Longbows own bigtime, so you should beeline for a sports store and hope they've got one and enough arrows to get you started. Wooden arrows are relatively durable and can be reclaimed after firing them, and you can craft an entire stack of arrows out of a single two-by-four or heavy stick once you gain a level in Archery. They can also do some pretty major damage at high skill levels: headshots can go from 80 to 100 damage, which is enough to put down all but the most durable of enemies. Their only drawback is, naturally, that they're slow to fire: 100 points to fire, 80 points to reload.

F) This game uses that weird-ass experience pool system that some games like Crawl use, so you gain very little skill development if you're doing things while tapped out. Experience is gained at a rate of 1 per minute (10 turns) so you should oscilate between reading and scavenging and doing crafting and hunting enemies. The pool caps out at 800 points so it's wasteful to keep reading at that point.

G) Safehouse location and design is incredibly important. Places that have basements tend to make for the best safehouses as creature spawning isn't calculated very much/at all compared to the surface, and it's also safe from weather hazards. Liquor stores may be tempting to use due to the low number of enterences (one rear door, two front windows, one front door) but the fact that they're loaded with tons of flammable items means that one single spark could incinerate the whole thing (trust me on this: just before I wrote this, my liquor store safehouse got struck by lightning, and the ENTIRE STORE IS ENGULFED IN FLAMES.) (EDIT: And no, banks aren't actually good places to hole up. The vault doors can't be closed once they're open, so no locking yourself inside once you crack the computer controlling it.)

H) Lastly: since I know some people might be turned off from this because of the lack of a tileset/decent tileset, let me just say that this is probably one of the best Roguelikes in terms of not abstracting shit too strangely and making it clear what stuff is and what it does.

Sorenson on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Started playing DoomRL recently. The new tileset is bloody amazing.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    Only found out about ToME 4 yesterday, looks great.

steam_sig.png
    So here's one to keep an eye on, Ultima Ratio Regum.

Think Dwarf Fortress world generation, exploration and adventure based gameplay with lots of trade and diplomacy. The goal is to generate a world history that's mostly realistic, right down to dynasties, mythologies, nations and cultures with their own languages and customs. Add on a heaping helping of progressively generated ASCII and ANSI art that is frankly amazing.

New-World.png
    World Map

Zigplo.png
    One of the game's ziggurats that are in-game and explorable.

Skull.png
    An example of the kinds of stuff you can see in a ziggurat/ruin etc.

It's currently at version 0.31 so there is still quite a ways to go getting features in the game. I'm seriously hoping that the dev can stick to his roadmap for the game and get this thing done because an adventuring roguelike that takes elements from 4X games and has a focus on discovery, diplomacy and trade (as well as highly detailed combat) could be quite the awesome thing.