As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting my first tablet...but I don't know what to get!

LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the IPad 2 and the Xoom. I like the greater amount of freedom and the flash support with Xoom, but the overall stability of the IPad is attractive, plus it feels like the app selection might be of better overall quality?

Anyone have any opinions on the matter? I feel very conflicted on this.

LockedOnTarget on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been very happy with my iPad and now iPad 2. Whats really going to matter is how/what you want to do with it.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apps don't really work right on the Xoom. If you rotate the screen, you lose the ability to press more than a few apps control buttons and the browser stinks.

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have an Ipad from work and I bought a xoom for myself. I like the xoom more, especially after the 3.1 update. There is less software designed for honeycomb but its getting better. With android 3.1 and flash 10.3 flash actually works pretty well in the browser. I can watch the daily show without stuttering.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have an iPad from work as well and I'm typing this on my xoom. I much prefer the xoom for gingerbread and flash integration. I can actually browse the whole web.

That said, I'm waiting for the opportunity to get a decent Win7 tablet this fall. Mostly for exchange/outlook integration. Having a portalble email/task/calendar manager is what I really need.

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've heard good preliminary reviews about the Samsung 10.1 tablet, but as it does not appear to due for release till June, this might not be an option. Google apparently handed a lot out at a recent convention so more reviews should be appearing soon

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have an Acer Iconia A500.

I love it to bits.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have an iPad 2, and a buddy of mine has a Xoom. It really depends on how adventurous and cutting edge you want to be. My iPad 2 just does shit, and I really don't have to think about it much. The app pool is huge, and it's just sort of...good.

My buddies Xoom is really neat (especially with 3.1), but it's much more of an enthusiast experience. It doesn't always "just work", and the app pool is quite a bit smaller. That said, I think it's got more potential to be really awesome over the long haul. Also, if you care to ever develop custom apps, with the Xoom you are using a much much better development environment (Eclipse + Java for the Xoom vs. Xcode + Objective C for the iPad 2)...which may not matter to you at all.

So you really have to ask yourself what you're doing with it. I use my iPad 2 almost exclusively for video content (Netflix, downloaded movies/tv shows), and for that, I think it excels just from an "always fucking works" point of view.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the wife and I both have iPad2s and I can't stress enough how much I love them. It's sexy slim light and has a ton of battery life. The smart cover is the best accessory ever. I hardly get on my desktop anymore at home. I browse and post on my iPad, I play lots of different games.

I watch tv/movies: ABC, HBO (subscribers only and not all cable companies participate), PBS, HGTV, Netflix, and more all have apps for the iPad so you can watch their shows/movies. My 2 year old LOVES our iPads, there are TONS of great apps for kids of all ages and she just turned 2 less than a month ago and she knows how to get into netflix and then click on strawberry shortcake and sit there and watch it. The only problem is her wanting to lay with it on the couch and be only 6 inches from the screen... ug! I have to drag her back each time and explain why.

I typically build my computers and mess w/ overclocking, linux, and blah blah blah in the past, but this time around I wanted something that just worked (you've got to be tired of hearing that), and the iPad2 does that.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Consider the EE pad by Asus as well, from what I've read it's better than the Xoom and cheaper too

variant on