As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nsfw] or hardly working?

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Aw, thanks! I've actually heard that at school too, haha. We brew/consume a ton of coffee but I'm the only one who drinks it straight black, and my teacher (a husky Macedonian dude) said that he hoped some day he could be as manly as me and drink coffee like that :P

I posted my still life start in the enrichment thread, but since June is over I'll just keep it in here now. This is the wash for the last black-and-white still life I have to do for school:

skullstilllifewash.jpg

I really like the set up so I'm looking forward to doing this one :)

Working on the gesture/anatomy assignment, and I know there are still problems with the skeleton but I'm going to leave it like this and move on. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, and makes me wish I had a skeleton in my apartment.

gestureanatomy1skeleton.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I love those though. It makes you look at a person and really think about how they're put together.

Draw an egg.
    edited July 2013
    If you thought a whole day of gestures sounded rough, well... today was hand day.

Got sooooo tired of hearing the word "knuckle"

tumblr_mpqt9yIOxV1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpqt9yIOxV1rfwxa1o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpqt9yIOxV1rfwxa1o3_400.jpg

tumblr_mpqt9yIOxV1rfwxa1o4_400.jpg

lyrium on
    I promise I will post something other than figure stuff from school in the near future.
    But for the moment, these are some alla prima block-ins.

tumblr_mqurldde7Z1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Loving this thread, and those are some very cool block-ins .

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Makes me miss school. Enjoy the models while you can!

Oh don't get me wrong, I love drawing/painting the models! Just looking at my thread I realize it's getting a little saturated with them.

As for block-ins, here's the block-in for that still life I'm working on.

skullblockin.jpg

It's really nice to work on something with different textures, as opposed to just skin/hair or plaster/cloth.

Also, on a slightly different note, I was also taking a drawing-for-animation class, which was really cool. The teacher wanted us to draw the figures more exaggerated than the actual model, so it was a nice departure from the usual realism figure drawing.

We did a lot of drawings in 10 seconds to 1 min, but I'll just put up some that were 5 min or 10 min .

danashortsanimation.jpg

danacleananimation.jpg

tumblr_mqqerqZx0b1rfwxa1o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqqf2akclW1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqqf2akclW1rfwxa1o4_500.jpg

The dog obviously wouldn't hold still, but he was super fun to draw, and it made me want to go zoo drawing again!

More block-in practice, 2-3 hours alla prima

tumblr_mrx29sKYUv1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

edited August 2013
    Here's some progress on that still life.

skullstilllifeblockin2.jpg

I have an easier time seeing how the whole thing is adding up together when looking at the little photo, so there is some more adjusting to do on the skull. I want the bottom of the skull to be a liiiitle dimmer and softer to help the light fall through the image. After that, I think I just have a final pass over everything to refine stuff with medium, and it'll be done. And then, color!
    This feels like it's taking a while, but I only work on it a few hours a week.

lyrium on
    Is summer over already?

tumblr_ms9jhoeeVK1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

2-3 hours

Gonna paint this at school in black and white, and if it goes well I get to do the next figure painting in color, woo!

tumblr_msmnpsF1Ua1rfwxa1o1_400.jpg

We start off doing color by just doing 2-color warm/cool studies, but I'm still stoked to be getting out of black and white in both still lives and figures soon.

blocking-in

dana2.jpg

Hey guys, so if I need people to pressure me to work on illustrations for a portfolio, would you do that? Oh btw I decided somewhere along the way that I want to be an illustrator.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Consider this your pressure!

edited September 2013
    Thanks, Bombs! It might seem silly, but just knowing that there's anyone who would be interested in seeing it helps.

So here is something that I was working on a little while ago that I really really want to finish.
    This is the little idea I started with:

sketch072.jpg

So then I started working on a plan for it a little:

sketch073.jpg
    colorsketch.jpg

And now here is what I have of the drawing so far:

sketch074.jpg

I stopped because I wasn't happy with the other masks I had sketched, so now I need to sketch out some more ideas for those so I can finish drawing it. There are going to be patterns on the robes as well. Then the plan is to color it in Photoshop.

lyrium on
    So here's some more progress on that figure. We're supposed to do something with the background, and I wanted to go a little low-profile surreal, so I'm going to paint her on the moon. It will sort of just look like any other barren desert landscape, except it will make the black-and-white nature of the painting actually purposeful. And I'll have a little earth visible too so it's easier to tell :P

dana3.jpg

Also I sat down and figured out more how I wanted to do the masks. Once I figured out the first one I had a much better idea going into the other two. The circled ones are the ones I'm going with.

sketch076.jpg

sketch077.jpg

updates again on both

dana4.jpg

Just need to finish the background and then I'll start coloring.

sketch078.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Looking good in here, lyrium. The drawing with the masks has a nice feel to it, like it should be painted on some ruins or carved out of stone.

Iruka, that's kind of what I was going for! I was picturing the sort of flat layered look of some forms of ancient art, or even of shadowboxes.

1027.jpg
    egyptian_art.jpg

I didn't necessarily mimic particular styles specifically, but that perspective was something I had in mind. It's supposed to be a scene in an after-world of sorts. Anyway, I finished the pencils.

tumblr_mupzvfLM9n1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

• Guenn Eona NimueGuenn Eona Nimue Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Hi Lyrium! No advice, none needed. I looked at both the older thread (Painting and Practicing- dancers 1/20) and this one. In a word.... Bravo!

Guenn Eona Nimue on
    My last black and white still life is finished! It's definitely the nicest painting I have done so far... and now I get to move on to temperature studies :)

tumblr_muxbcaGWky1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

bigger in the spoiler
    skullbig.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is something really eerie about that painting. I like it, though.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That is gaw jee us.

@Iruka, Eerie as in the content, or something about the way it's painted? Glad you like it :)
    @ChicoBlue, thanks! I always enjoy looking at your work so much, so that makes my day!

As far as the figure painting goes, today was the last session with the model. So the figure is done, but I still need to finish the coyote and put in a background, so the painting still looks a little ugly at the moment. We spent half as much time with the model this time compared to the dude with the bow, but the painting is also about half the size.
    Looking at the photo I think it might have been angled slightly and accidentally made the image a little top heavy.

danafiguredone.jpg

danafiguredoneclose.jpg

This is a sketch of the moon background I want to do. (Somewhat from reference!)

danamooncompfiguredone.jpg

• Gunther HermannGunther Hermann Registered User regular
    I've looked at your progress lyrium, and its very impressive. Some of your life drawings look very realistic. That skull painting must've taken a hell of a long time.

edited October 2013
    Thanks, Gunther!

This is a drawing for my next still life painting

jugdrawing.jpg

It's this jug
    stilljugref.jpg

lyrium on
    On to the next pose, we did a drawing to start off

tumblr_mvicynwsIK1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Amazing work lyrium! That skull is so cool.

www.instagram.com/ceneven
    Thanks, Natri!
    Here's an updates sketch for the colors on that drawing:

throatcolors.jpg

edited November 2013
    Yeah I was wrong, one more figure in black and white

Day 1:

jasonstaff2.jpg

There's a crazy glare from the top to the ends of his hair, so you can't really tell what the head looks like, woops.

lyrium on
    Day 1 on that jug, and I'm already learning a lot! Might not look very colorful to you guys, but it's pretty exciting to me :)

Using burnt sienna, ultramarine blue, and white
    jug1.jpg

Oh, and as far as more illustrative stuff goes, my boy and I started a project (invisible-cities-project.tumblr.com) where we are going to illustrate all of the cities in Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. The book is framed as Marco Polo telling Kublai Khan about his growing empire, so my first contribution was those guys.

tumblr_mw5yfbpt8U1t0b0qfo1_1280.jpg

More on that butt painting figure painting:

jasonstaff4.jpg

Okay, pretty sure this one is all done. I think I'm going to do the next one a little differently, but hopefully this one turned out okay.

tumblr_mwwghjtiFA1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

bigger in the spoiler
    throatfinishedbig.jpg

• kdakda Registered User new member
    you're a beast! I especially like the invisible cities project sketch. it has that elusive "just plain nice to look at" quality.

Thanks kda! At least for now my goal with those is just to make some really nice-looking pencil drawings (because it has been a little bit since I tried to do that!), so that's really good to hear. I fell off schedule with them when I lost my job/was looking for a new one, but now that's taken care of so I'm going to try to catch back up.

After living by the beautiful Humboldt Park for months, I finally got off my butt and went landscape painting there. Going to try to make it a habit (figures I do that right when it starts getting cold :P ).

value study, burnt sienna

tumblr_mx7c6jYc7F1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

warm/cool study

tumblr_mx7cbyr9sW1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

These are with gouache, which I have very limited experience with, and I also have very limited experience painting outside. If anyone has any suggestions or tips about those endeavors, please let me know! Full Disclosure, I only used gouache because I left all my oil paint at school, but I will probably keep using it, at least sometimes.

We have 2 or 3 more days on this:

jasonstaff5.jpg

Thoughts?