As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 - Where fanboy tears flow like milk and honey

1313233343537»

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Mechwarrior is still a Microsoft property right? I wonder what happened to MW5.

Weisman bought the license back from Microsoft, so it's not their property anymore

That said, last thing I heard Harmony Gold was trying to shit all over it because it featured mech(s) that are sort of like something from Robotech.

I haven't kept abreast on that thread, but if I'm not mistaken MW5 was supposed to feature "original" mechs from the games and novels that weren't "sort of like something from robotech", they were exact copies of mechs from Robotech (and a number of other anime series).
    3025%20Phoenix%20Hawk1.JPG
    "Phoenix Hawk Battlemech"

180px-vf-1j-battloid.gif
    "VF Series Veritech Fighter in Battloid Configuration"

zentraediofficerspod.jpeg
    "Zentraedi Officer's Pod"

t_mad-3r.gif
    "MAD-3R Marauder"

Etc, etc, etc.

As I recall, there was some confusion at the time as to who held the rights to these designs, and/or the people in charge didn't care and just decided to use them regardless, but it came to bite them in the ass.

... apparently it's still coming back to bite them in the ass.

And I say this as a huge fan of the 'original designs' (stolen, borrowed, rented or otherwise) and as a fan of Robotech. Whether it's an officer's pod or a Marauder, that's a badass war machine.

From what I understand, they did get the ok to use many of those mechs (which are called "The Unseen" by BattleTech fans, because while they could no longer show them their statblocks were still published for the P&P game) and then released the awesome debut trailer... which was taken down because the specific mech in that game was one of the Unseen that wasn't okayed... I think...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://nukezillacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/06xboxleak.png Ooh snap. :O Microsoft accidentally leaks Halo 4. They were going to save it for their E3 presentation.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    http://nukezillacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/06xboxleak.png Ooh snap. :O Microsoft accidentally leaks Halo 4. They were going to save it for their E3 presentation.

Not sure if surprised

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is anybody really surprised by that, though?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Mechwarrior is still a Microsoft property right? I wonder what happened to MW5.

Weisman bought the license back from Microsoft, so it's not their property anymore

That said, last thing I heard Harmony Gold was trying to shit all over it because it featured mech(s) that are sort of like something from Robotech.

I haven't kept abreast on that thread, but if I'm not mistaken MW5 was supposed to feature "original" mechs from the games and novels that weren't "sort of like something from robotech", they were exact copies of mechs from Robotech (and a number of other anime series).
    3025%20Phoenix%20Hawk1.JPG
    "Phoenix Hawk Battlemech"

180px-vf-1j-battloid.gif
    "VF Series Veritech Fighter in Battloid Configuration"

jetfire_battroid_01.jpg
    "Armoured Veritech Fighter in Battloid Configuration"

HA HA HA HA, wait, no, that's "Jetfire" from Transformers. Robotech got ripped off a lot it seems. :-P

zentraediofficerspod.jpeg
    "Zentraedi Officer's Pod"

t_mad-3r.gif
    "MAD-3R Marauder"

Etc, etc, etc.

As I recall, there was some confusion at the time as to who held the rights to these designs, and/or the people in charge didn't care and just decided to use them regardless, but it came to bite them in the ass.

... apparently it's still coming back to bite them in the ass.

And I say this as a huge fan of the 'original designs' (stolen, borrowed, rented or otherwise) and as a fan of Robotech. Whether it's an officer's pod or a Marauder, that's a badass war machine.

a bit off topic but about jetfire/skyfire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetfire#Toys
    Generation 1 Jetfire (1985)

The first two years of Transformers toys were figures taken from older Japanese toylines, primarily Takara's Diaclone and Microman lines. 1985, however, saw several figures reused from lines created by Takatoku Toys, of which Jetfire was one — that of the VF-1S Super Valkyrie Fighter from the Macross series. This figure was one the most articulated of the early Transformer toys, featuring fully poseable shoulder, hip, elbow and knee joints, and even poseable sacroiliac joints.[6] The instruction manual for the toy even included the Gerwalk mode designed for the Macross version of the toy, which was used in that animated series, and seen briefly in the Transformers season 2 episode "The Day of the Machines".
    Problems over the Jetfire toy began when Bandai absorbed Takatoku Toys, and Macross regained popularity, leading to Bandai's desire to reproduce the Valkyrie toy themselves. This led to problems for Takara when they imported the Transformers toyline — although Hasbro was able to market the Jetfire toy in their markets, Takara was not, nor could they promote it via the animated series, since the mold was owned by their main competitor. Although an animation model had been created for Jetfire based on the appearance of the toy (which could be seen in the original toy commercial advertising the figure), this was quickly scrapped and completely redesigned so as to no longer resemble the Valkyrie. This was the design that went on to feature in the comics and cartoons — additionally, the cartoon character was redubbed "Skyfire," presumably because the character no longer served to advertise the Jetfire toy. Some fans of the series consider Skyfire a separate character from Jetfire, though according to writers of the comics and television series it is exactly the same character. In the comic book Jetfire is called Jetfire, not Skyfire, and yet looks identical to Skyfire from the cartoon.
    Jetfire only saw a few American production runs, as the show the original toy was based upon, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, was exported to America to become the first third of Robotech. Ironically, since Hasbro released Jetfire first, there was never a U.S. release of an authentic transforming version of the toy for Robotech, even though the design was the series' most recognizable and popular mecha. As with other pre-Robotech borrowings from Macross (for instance, Battletech), the licensing situation for the toy became murky with two different companies (Big West and Tatsunoko Production) asserting exclusive rights to license Macross merchandise outside Japan. Due to these legal issues, Jetfire has not been among the Transformers toys reissued in the 21st century .[7]
    This toy is patented in the U.S. as patent number D287037.[8]

So he was licensed then not..

Artoria on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

And also confirms a Halo 1 remaster, pretty sure that was just a rumor until now?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anytime I hear mention of Harmony Gold my teeth clench. It's basically one giant douche denying fans of anything Macross.

Also, MS better pull something amazing this year or it's going to be a suckfest...and by amazing I mean something other than more Halo and Kinect games.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Urge to purchase new 360 increasing. Must. Resist.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Masume wrote: »
    Anytime I hear mention of Harmony Gold my teeth clench. It's basically one giant douche denying fans of anything Macross.

Also, MS better pull something amazing this year or it's going to be a suckfest...and by amazing I mean something other than more Halo and Kinect games.

Well, if the Halo games are anywhere near as good as Reach then that'd be pretty amazing. of course, you can't tell the amazingness of a game from an announcement...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »

And also confirms a Halo 1 remaster, pretty sure that was just a rumor until now?

It was rumoured so often pretty much everyone assumed it was true. And now it is.

What I'm most surprised about is Codename: Kingdoms is a f'n Kinect game. What are you doing, Crytek?

Also:
    3_Sans_titre.PNG

Kinect: Sparkler. fragglefart is about to be amazed.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

They'll have some Forza stuff and say Definitive.
    Other than that I'm sure it'll be mostly Kinect.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really want MS to show me something amazing that makes me finally want a Kinect.

So far, nada. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Well, if the Halo games are anywhere near as good as Reach then that'd be pretty amazing. of course, you can't tell the amazingness of a game from an announcement...

Well Halo is always good really. It's like CoD. You know it'll be good. No reason to doubt. Except actually only if Bungie isn't doing it (which they arnt obviously) so I'm a bit afraid.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It was rumoured so often pretty much everyone assumed it was true. And now it is.

What I'm most surprised about is Codename: Kingdoms is a f'n Kinect game. What are you doing, Crytek?

Also:
    3_Sans_titre.PNG

Kinect: Sparkler. fragglefart is about to be amazed.

Mind = BLOWN.

Killer app right there.

Metacritic 99.3 all up ins.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mastrius wrote: »

Well Halo is always good really. It's like CoD. You know it'll be good. No reason to doubt. Except actually only if Bungie isn't doing it (which they arnt obviously) so I'm a bit afraid.

I l ike Halo as much as the next fan but honestly I'm not sure if they can really do something to top Reach. Halo is big on story and they pretty much covered every decent story angle, save for perhaps 'The hilarious adventures of Master Chief' which is just going to be more of the same. Might be good, but compared to what's coming this E3 they need something NEW, at the very least some fresh IP to get some blood flowing. Kinect doesn't really count, we know what's coming and last year was it's big hurrah.

What would be really awesome? Handheld gaming, but it's not going to happen. A new console announcement would be even better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, you would think MS would have known about the bombs dropping this time around, you'd figure they'd have something up there sleeve. At some point their going to need new hardware out there!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

And another fucking interface redesign

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's Halo's 10 years vs. Zelda's 25 years. Who shall be victorious!?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The one with multiplayer.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey guys, did I miss anything since the Konami conference? I seem to be hearing about Halo 4 for one.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really want MS to show me something amazing that makes me finally want a Kinect.

Actually, I totally don't want that. Because Kinect's dumb space requirements mean I can never really buy one even if I wanted one. Therefore, the more I don't care about the software lineup, the better ;)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Actually, I totally don't want that. Because Kinect's dumb space requirements mean I can never really buy one even if I wanted one. Therefore, the more I don't care about the software lineup, the better ;)

I've got a feeling you'll be okay.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That Ninja Gaiden 3 trailer looked silly.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah, I'll be shocked if there's ever anything more than party games and "on rails" stuff

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ninja Gaiden in general is silly.

Team Ninja in general is silly.

Japan in general is silly.

The craziness is deeply rooted.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey guys, did I miss anything since the Konami conference? I seem to be hearing about Halo 4 for one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6OCnvvkSLM&feature=player_embedded

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »

The strangest part is that the departure of the totally batshit insane man who wears sunglasses and a leather jacket at all times has made the series more crazy.

Like somehow he was the one keeping things grounded.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heh, G4 is dropping the ball this year. Having to watch Spike for Live coverage is new, oddly enough though...they seem far more professional. o_O

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    V Faction wrote: »

The strangest part is that the departure of the totally batshit insane man who wears sunglasses and a leather jacket at all times has made the series more crazy.

Like somehow he was the one keeping things grounded.

I'm not sure if that should be exciting or disturbing...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EA sports. AKA bathroom break time.

Artoria on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kinect voice commands in ME3... I am not amused.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer is nice

it looks surprisingly like a true Kotor successor

I think I might get this

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah, I'll be shocked if there's ever anything more than party games and "on rails" stuff

True, I'm not really expecting anything. But it would really suck if something cool was Kinect-exclusive that I couldn't play :(

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't that the same Old Republic trailer they showed earlier (like last year)? I definitely remember seeing that trooper-fighting-sith-lord sequence before.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have no idea, I've seen it for the first time. I'm not really following this game though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is our IRC channel for this again? Forums are going to be too spotty to post.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Wasn't that the same Old Republic trailer they showed earlier (like last year)? I definitely remember seeing that trooper-fighting-sith-lord sequence before.

It's actually a mash up of three trailers. The trooper trailer was from E3 a couple(?) years back. Great trailer, nothing to do with the game.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kelor wrote: »
    What is our IRC channel for this again? Forums are going to be too spotty to post.

stolen from the other E3 thread:

Click here for a Web IRC App to discuss the keynotes in REAL TIME

(irc.slashnet.org #pa_e3keynote)

[url=irc://irc.slashnet.org/pa_e3keynote]Or click here to launch your IRC client[/url]

Guek on