Options

Square&Enix confirms new MMO for Xbox & Vista

airvinsanityairvinsanity __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Just read the source about Square Enix producer Hiromichi Tanaka, he said he was working on a new MMORPG bound for Xbox360 and Vista, "PS3 is a posiibility". Ten months ago, Tanaka was saying just the opposite about the oft-hinted at MMO -- probably a sequel to Final Fantasy XI; possibly not. In April 2006, Tanaka confirmed the project for PlayStation 3, but made no mention of an Xbox 360 version. Now it would appear that development has shifted away from PS3 and onto Xbox 360.

:P sweet, it seems going to be Final Fantasy XIII. btw "Bound for Windows Vista"? What's the point?

Source including FULL interview

airvinsanity on

• Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I doubt its a Final Fantasy title.

Maybe some new IP they're planning on releasing.

But cool news nonetheless.

Zhou on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't they specificly say at one point that it wasn't going to be a FFXI sequel?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if this is going to be World of Mana

Or did something else become of that?

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    DuckM4nDuckM4n Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Vista is a console now?!

DuckM4n on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do we have a source that's not a random post on a message board?

Not that I doubt it(especially with Dragon Quest, their real printing press, going to DS and wii), but an official source would be nice.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    wavy gravywavy gravy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So am I really going to be forced to switch to Vista if I want to game on a PC? This is some bull-poop.

wavy gravy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DuckM4n wrote:
    Vista is a console now?!

....What?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, uh...the first place my mind went was "Ogre Battle Online"

They bought the rights to Ogre Battle, right? I think I remember reading that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    wavy gravywavy gravy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote:

Are there any RTS MMOs?

wavy gravy on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I suppose it's 360/Vista because of Live for Windows.

ihd on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if this is going to be World of Mana

Or did something else become of that?
    World of Mana was just a bunch of projects, much like the Final Fantasy VII Compilation and Final Fantasy XIII: Fabula Nova Crystallis.

It resulted in Dawn of Mana (PS2), Children of Mana (DS) and Heroes of Mana (DS) with probably one or two more to be announced.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    airvinsanityairvinsanity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote:

what is "Ogre Battle Online" all about?

airvinsanity on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote:

Ogres.

And battles.

And a witch loli who commands sentient pumpkins.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I doubt its FF XIII because its not an MMO, its a regular FF and once agian I doubt the FF Franchise will come to the 360.

It could be something new though, made for the 360's in light that most are NA players and not Japanese and done in a NA Style.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I doubt its FF XIII because its not an MMO, its a regular FF and once agian I doubt the FF Franchise will come to the 360.

It could be something new though, made for the 360's in light that most are NA players and not Japanese and done in a NA Style.

The FF franchise has come to the 360.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This one has an interesting history. It was first announced almost two and a half years ago as a PC title (with some preliminary artwork even) and has been pretty under the radar ever since.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    ZedroZedro Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, i hope they go back and take notes on how they can improve from FFXI.

Zedro on
    sig.pl?Zedro
  • Options
    edited February 2007

FF XI has also come on PS2 and PC. It hasn't been exclusive ala FF 1-9 for the PS1 and FF X-XI for the PS2 and the GC Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals. Each GC and PS2 came seperately with the exception of VII which came on PC.

When I talk about FF I should make it clear that I am talking not about MMO's but JRPG's, which as of yet have not come to 360.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

FF XI has also come on PS2 and PC. It hasn't been exclusive ala FF 1-9 for the PS1 and FF X-XI for the PS2 and the GC Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals. Each GC and PS2 came seperately with the exception of VII which came on PC.

When I talk about FF I should make it clear that I am talking not about MMO's but JRPG's, which as of yet have not come to 360.

Check again, FFXI is on the 360.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How about they just give us Front Mission Online already?

Pb on
  • Options
    HepecarneHepecarne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I really don't care about FF or JRPGs in general but even I know the series has its roots on the NES and SNES.

Hepecarne on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Yes it has come, but it has come as a MMO and not as a Traditional FF which means nothing. FF XIII is a tradition FF and not a MMO and I doubt highly that a traditional FF will be coming for the 360.

And FFXI has come for the PS2 and PC. Its not a unique thing.

Edit: Roots are another matter but when the OP is saying that a Tradition FF game is comming for the 360, I tend that to be highly unbelieveable. XII hasn't been ported and doesn't seem to be ported so there is no reason why XIII will be ported as well.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yes it has come, but it has come as a MMO and not as a Traditional FF which means nothing. FF XIII is a tradition FF and not a MMO and I doubt highly that a traditional FF will be coming for the 360.

Edit: Roots are another matter but when the OP is saying that a Tradition FF game is comming for the 360, I tend that to be highly unbelieveable. XII hasn't been ported and doesn't seem to be ported so there is no reason why XIII will be ported as well.
    Not to mention that I don't think FF's I-VII were exclusive to the PS1.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kingdom Hearts Online

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    This one has an interesting history. It was first announced almost two and a half years ago as a PC title (with some preliminary artwork even) and has been pretty under the radar ever since.
    I think you're confusing it with Fantasy Earth, their PC exclusive MMO that was announced near the end of 2004. According to IGN, it's being released later this month in Japan.

The MMO the OP is talking about has been in the plans for a while. From memory, it was originally named as a PS3/PC title but somehow it's turned into a 360/PC title, with a possible PS3 port. My guess is that they are using UE3 for it, which is why the PS3 version is only a 'possibility' (as UE3 is still not running all that well on PS3 hardware).

Anyway, since it looks to be developed by the FFXII guys, I'm hoping that they base it in a brand new world and they call it Final Fantasy Online II. I really hope it isn't a spinoff of another FF.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You're right, Fantasy Earth is the exact game I thought this originally was. I had no idea it was still being made or coming out.

I remember being amused at how the heroine featured in the promotional artwork blew her entire budget on chest armor and metallic epaulets, having to make do with an old prom dress for lower body protection.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote:

Not to mention that I don't think FF's I-VII were exclusive to the PS1.

The only Final Fantasies that were exclusive to one system were 9, 10, 10-2, and 12.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wavy gravy wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Are there any RTS MMOs?
    The Ogre franchise also has the Tactic Ogre games which would be a better template for an MMO game, I imagine. Warcraft was a RTS before an MMO, so it isn't too crazy. I seriously doubt there is enough demand though. But yeah, Square got the rights for the Ogre franchise when they bought Quest (I think), which meant possibly reuniting Matsuno (the creator who had already been working for Square for years on games like FF Tactics and Vagrant Story) with the franchise. He left during the process of making Final Fantasy XII probably due to it being difficult to create your game with a staff a over 100 strong and corporate breathing down your neck about tie-ins and shit.

It's my opinion that the series is effectively dead and Square might dig it out and make a cruddy game in between Final Fantasies, but even that is doubtful. Atlus can no longer make 'em, so Knight of Lodis is probably the last we're gonna get!

Sorry for all the exposition!
    WHY wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Ogres.

And battles.

And a witch loli who commands sentient pumpkins.
    *giggle*

They really should make it about the canonical Ogre Battle. Like, the one they talk about in the past.

I tell yas, I would give up a few years of my life to learn how to direct games just to steer two or three Ogre Battle games.

BUT I REALISE THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THIS AND I WILL LEAVE!
    I finally got a copy of Tactics Ogre so I've been on a high for a few days.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote:

If this is how the Ogre Battle series ends, I am going to break shit.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Any Ogre Battle without Matsuno will, at this point, be pretty fake.

OB64 was awesome, but I don't think Matsuno had the outline worked out for any other legitimate chapters and we can only have side-stories like Knight of Lodis for so long, so I dunno.

I want to know what happened with Lans though :cry:

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So whatever happened to Front Mission Online? I remember getting a beta invite for that years ago. Or rather, an invitation to possibly receive a beta invite in the future. From which I never heard from since.

Oh well. I'd personally be wary of this one. FFXI did quite a few cool things, and still has IMO the greatest story and cutscenes in an MMO. But the core gameplay was so fucking flawed I eventually spit on the disc and never looked back. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Kingdom Hearts Online
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Tingle on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I would be ok with Kingdom Hearts or some such to come on the 360. At least it will be one more game I could pick up eventually with the 360. All thats holding me back is the number of third party JRPG games on the system.

But I will still be a Nintendo/Sony Fanboi.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pb wrote:
    How about they just give us Front Mission Online already?

They even had an NA beta test for it. Teasing bastards.

That being said, SquarEnix stated a few months ago that they were planning on working on pretty much all systems this generation didn't they? Hell, the fact that they've recently licensed Unreal Engine 3 seems like it would make developing between PC, PS3 and the 360 at the same time a lot easier too. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot less exclusivity from Square all around this next generation.

Aoi on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I swear to whatever diety will listen, if there is no Front Mission this generation, Square-Enix will pay.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tingle wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Kingdom Hearts Online
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    > Sephiroth981239874921098239872139780921398213987213987214398721398721309213987213293872139821398230982130982121309821309713 tells you 'hay want to camp aerith with me in traverse town?!?!?'

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hope it revolves around Star Ocean and they don't fuck it up.

Meiz on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gyral wrote:
    I swear to whatever diety will listen, if there is no Front Mission this generation, Square-Enix will pay.

Oh I'm sure there will be a new Front Mission this generation. The question is whether or not it will make it out of Japan :( We missed at least two of them (including FMOnline) in the PS2 gen.

Aoi on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    Gyral wrote:

Oh I'm sure there will be a new Front Mission this generation. The question is whether or not it will make it out of Japan :( We missed at least two of them (including FMOnline) in the PS2 gen.

Front Mission DS. That's what I REALLY want.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Meiz wrote:
    I hope it revolves around Star Ocean and they don't fuck it up.
    What? Seriously, what does Star Ocean have to do with it? It's being made by the guys behind FFXI, not bloody Tri-Ace (aka, the guys that make the Star Ocean games).

Katchem_ash: Uh, you do realise he was joking, right? And that there's a very slim chance that KH would go to the 360?

Unco-ordinated on