Options

DC August 2011 Solicits

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
They'll b e trickling out this week, but up first is Batman and Flashpoint

This is BS, right here, Batman & Robin is just going to be a rotating team now, no more Tomasi and Gleason:

BATMAN AND ROBIN #26
Written by DAVID HINE
Art by GREG TOCCHINI
Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
1:10 Variant cover by J.G. JONES
Le Jardin Noir – France’s very own Arkham Asylum – falls under siege! Someone has freed the lunatics, and unless they can be stopped, they’ll turn Paris into a surreal Hell on Earth! Batman and Robin join Nightrunner in a mind-bending battle with the strangest lineup of villains this side of Bizarro World.
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale AUGUST 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Detective Comics #881 is supposed to be something big, double sized finale to Snyder's first year on the book.

And Fabian Nicieza is writing Batman this month, so that would be worth a look. Dustin Nguyen isn't drawing Batgirl for another month (what is going on there, really?).

TexiKen on

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sounds like they're wrapping up Dick as Batman and most of those accompanying plot points

Rans on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, you make a good point, both Batman and Detective kind of hint at that. Rans, can you use your powers to predict when Superman Grounded will end?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks like the Tomasi/Gleason Martian Manhunter rumors are pretty true

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Dustin Nguyen isn't drawing Batgirl for another month (what is going on there, really?).

He does tons of covers, and maybe just can't keep up. I think they're transitioning Pere Perez to becoming the regular artist, and just not announcing it because you can't help but feel like going from Nguyen to just about anyone else is a downgrade.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Full Solicits up

-Superman Grounded ends!

-Guy Gardner teams up with Batman!
    GLEW_Cv13_var_R1.jpg

-John Stewart and Hal Jordan are both not mentioned in any of the GL books this month, hmmmm.

-This is a fantastic Karl Kerschel cover for Superboy #11:
    SBv2_Cv11.jpg

-JLA Retroactive: 90's continues the pattern of the team being unconscious on the floor:
    DC_RETRO_JLA90.jpg

And a nice Secret Six cover:
    SSIXv2_Cv36.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Superman 80s issue is filled with 90s stuff

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    UNW_Cv28.jpg

So awesome

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Exciting times, but nothing really spectacular.

I wonder when we're going to hear about all the launches and relaunches that will probably certainly be running through Sept, Oct, and Nov.

The solicit for James Robinson's JLA sounds like his run is coming to an end?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    interesting to note thatalmost all arcs in ongoing series end this month otherwise they have a one shot.
    And looks like Hal is out of green lantern since I John was featured in july's corps

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always like JLA/JLI covers

there's a fun sense to them from the Giffen run that I love

Solar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    If you never read Teen Titans: The Lost Annual, pick up DC COMICS PRESENTS THE TEEN TITANS #1 (which collects it)

it's

amazing

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm predicting mass cancellations or creative shuffling to make room for the rumored Brightest Day hero ongoings as well as Johns' JLA(Which I expect to be announced at Comic-Con)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Johns/Mahnke relaunching JLA would be ideal, no other artist could do the book justice in terms of quality and getting it out monthly in order to capitalize on the book being DC's flagship. Jim Lee probably hasn't even put a dent in his Miller stuff for ASB&R.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm predicting mass cancellations or creative shuffling to make room for the rumored Brightest Day hero ongoings as well as Johns' JLA(Which I expect to be announced at Comic-Con)

Good call. I hadn't even thought about this.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mahnke is almost a lock

dude has been doing a book every month for like a year or two now

and has suddenly stopped showing up at all in the wake of War of Green Lanterns

he's either getting a break before JLA or is working on it right now

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's really exciting stuff. The only problem is that June solicits will obviously come before SDCC, so even if they just do a marvel style "CLASSIFIED" on JLA next month, they'll still have to start announcing things in the next few weeks if they're going to essentially reboot the entire line.

Another thing I noticed was that the awful Reign of Doomsday thing also ends in August, in Action Comics. That story is looking more than ever like a filler to hold off from launching any big new stories until after Flashpoint.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It just makes too much sense not to happen

Flashpoint 5 is the only book at the end of August. We know that it will apparently have a huge impact on the DCU, along with some character making the jump across series. I predict Cyborg will be one of them and some of the devastation of Flashpoint(Aquaman's drowning of Paris and Wonder Woman's rule of the UK perhaps) will also cross into the main DCU. The world will flip the fuck out and chaos everywhere.

Thus, the Big 7(plus Cyborg because he knew all about Flashpoint and can help them) get back together in the world's time of need.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Another thing I noticed was that the awful Reign of Doomsday thing also ends in August, in Action Comics. That story is looking more than ever like a filler to hold off from launching any big new stories until after Flashpoint.

Action Comics ends an arc the same time Superman does, along with Superboy ending the Psi-lad arc. We're probably looking at the 5th Superman family relaunch in 5 years in September.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually now that I think about it

I wouldn't be surprised it most of the books will tie-in to a post-Flashpoint devastated world

it would explain the new story arcs and such

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    -Is Fables: Werewolves in the Heartland an OGN?
    -Interestingly, the softcover editions of the 90's JLA include the Waid and Millar fill ins... Which mean that I should probably hunt down the hardcovers
    -Might just on 100 bullets with the hardcovers
    -Man, I really hope Zombie gets a trade soon.
    -None of the DC retroactive actually have the creative teams that I'd be excited for
    -Outside of Flashpoint minis, there's nothing here that I want to try in issues that I'm not already buying.
    --Well, okay, there's Batman and Robin, but Hine's batman stuff has never really gelled with me, so I might not get it.

MastaP on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    If you never read Teen Titans: The Lost Annual, pick up DC COMICS PRESENTS THE TEEN TITANS #1 (which collects it)

it's

amazing

Is that the one where everyone gets rape-crazy for Wonder Girl?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Green Lantern speculation!

Guy Gardner is the new GL of sector 2814. Otherwise, why else would it mean that "Guy Gardner MUST team up with Batman" to investigate a murder on an earth satellite?

I'm wondering if the DC heroes that are represented in the Flashpoint world are actually pulled out of the normal world's timeline or something for the duration fo Flashpoint. That would explain why Hal doesn't seem to be around?

Also, yeah, lots of storylines ending in August. Looks like we're in for something in September. Hoping it's not a serious line-wide universe reboot. Infinite Crisis / 52 was only, what, 5-6 years ago? And I don't feel like they ever capitalized on any of that.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it'll be a reboot or anything

just a restructuring, which to be frank the DCU really needs.

The GL and Batman corners have it together fairly well but everywhere else is a giant mess. They need a line-wide direction like The Heroic Age or Dark Reign was for Marvel.

The Flashpoint thing is an interesting idea and it could happen. Especially since
    Batman is Thomas Wayne and the only major hero that has an ongoing book that would be affected by Flashpoint is Dick Grayson over in B&R and Batman. Wonder Woman could be I guess but she is still in the JMS induced madness. Everyone else doesn't have an ongoing and could concievably be absent.

I am betting on September being a month full of new ongoings(the rumored Martian Manhunter, Firestorm and Swamp Thing alongside the confirmed Hawkman and Aquaman series) with JLA launching in October. The bigger books(outside of Batman's corner of the universe) will have a new direction and possibly new creative teams.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Booster Gold could end in September. It would be #48, but it is actually #50 when you count the #0 and one million issue.

It then makes way for him to be in JLI.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's true.

There's no way they cancel it before 50(be it actual 50 or 1,000,000 and 0 50)

so it's either that or they ship it twice in September and have a double sized final issue that leads directly into JLI in October

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Random thoughts:

-Kyle looks like Hal on the GLC cover.

-The plot of Emerald Warriors actually sounds interesting. Really, anything that's not Rainbow Corps bullshit would be welcome, at this point.

-Booster Gold is going to waste time tying into Flashpoint, and ultimately wind up completely irrelevant to the larger plot. Unless Booster suddenly turns up on the last page of Flashpoint, fixes everything, and then Barry gets all the credit. Which would be great.

-Someone should really make a line of Cliff Chiang posters.

-The wording on this solicitation just makes it sound so dumb and anticlimactic: "Cyborg stands as the last defense against the world’s greatest villains, and they plan to play dirty. They don’t even care if they die…" Why not something like, "Cyborg stands as the last line of defense against the greatest villains of this world. But, when even the threat of death can't stop them, what hope does he have?" Anything to give it a little oomph.

-Actually, this goes for pretty much all of the Flashpoint solicitations. I suppose they're going for brevity, but I feel like there's no excitement or intrigue in the language they're using.

-That JLA cover's really nice.

-DC: Retroactive is mostly creators from before my time, but Superman '90s, JLA '90s, Green Lantern '90s, Flash '90s, and Wonder Woman '90s all look good. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how Paris Cullins has changed as an artist, since doing Blue Beetle and Blue Devil, and seeing the JLI team reunited is always a pleasure. Well, when they're not being written by Judd Winick. Plus, I haven't seen Brian Augustyn write anything since Crimson, so I'm eager to read something from him again.

-If Finch isn't even drawing it anymore, hasn't The Dark Knight lost all reason to exist? Dude's certainly not a draw as a writer.

-Man, the Batman 80-page Giant by VARIOUS sounds awesome!

-Chris Burnham's Batman and Robin cover looks like something from Morrison's Doom Patrol. Which is to say, it looks freaky awesome. Shame about the book apparently becoming the next Superman/Batman.

-I can't believe this Captain Boomerang/Tim Drake shit is still going on.

-I can't believe this Superboy Prime/Teen Titans shit is still going on.

-I can't believe this Doomsday/Superman Family shit is still going on. Also, Doomslayer? Jesus Christ.

-Green Arrow has a new writer I've never heard of. Good luck with that.

-Even Darwyn Cooke can't make Alan Scott's new costume look cool.

-I saw that Mike Allred Wonder Girl cover and thought, at long last, SOLO was getting an omnibus. Color me disappointed.

-Ooh, New York Five TPB.

-That Swamp Thing statuette's pretty awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If Dave Finch shows up at San Diego or New York Comic Con I really hope someone in the crowd asks "why are you here instead of doing your work that has been delayed about 8 months now?"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Things Texiken hates:

-Grounded
    -Mockingbird
    -David Finch

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually ambivalent to Mockingbird, Moonstone is just better.

Dave Finch though, it's just completely unprofessional the way he's acted in recent years. Munch brings up a good point, it's not like people were clamoring for Finch to write a story as opposed to drawing one.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So glad for that Legends of the Dark Knight book, too bad the Simonson issues won't be included.

Were the Waid and Millar fill-in JLA issues good?

Indi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Booster Gold could end in September. It would be #48, but it is actually #50 when you count the #0 and one million issue.

It then makes way for him to be in JLI.

Yeah, I was expecting it to run for a couple issues after flashpoint, and end at issue 50, but that's a great point.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually surprised they got the old MoS team for the Superman 90s issue. I'd rather have Ordway or Jurgens there tho (they were more iconic...for me anyway). I'm actually surprised how much Jon Bodanove's art has improved since the 90s!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I was thinking about the whole "Hal will probably die in War of GLs" thing and the fact that there will probably be a new Green Lantern 1 in September in the wake of Flashpoint

My bet? Abin Sur makes the jump into the DCU and replaces Hal as Green Lantern.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm still really behind on my books from the last few months.

Is it certain that someone will die in War?

Because if that's where the plot goes, I would seriously consider dropping GL, and I never thought I would ever do that.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's been pretty heavily hinted at in interviews and solicits. All of the Lanterns are "reeling from the tramuatic aftermath" and War: Aftermath's solicit is
    The shocking consequences of the blockbuster “War of the Green Lantern” event have shattered the lives of Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner in ways no one will see coming.
    and the cover is a bloody Green Lantern ring

that and Hal not appearing anywhere on the solicits and GL being the only book to take a hiatus points towards death!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah plus I think Guy and Kyle have shown up in solicits after the War of the Green Lantern stuff.

Honestly if I had to pick one to go it would be Hal. Everyone else is a lot more interesting, and you don't even need Hal for Guy to play off against when you have the other two.

Solar on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know death in comic books blah blah blah...

...but has it been that long since Rebirth? Isn't it...a bit too soon?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually all of the solicits and foreshadowing suggest not death, just that someone gets kicked out of the Corps. A lot of to do has been made about Hal not working with the GLs and Guardians and instead preferring to work with the New Guardians and other Corps (out of necessity, Hal feels). This put him at odds with the Corps and caused the Guardians to send Salaak and team out to arrest him. So they're not happy with Hal.

Also a lot has been made about Hal being a GL too much lately and never taking off his ring. I thought that plot point would pay off when the GL rings were sabotaged by Parallax, but they went and immediately replaced their rings with others so I don't think that has been played out yet.

All signs point to Hal not being reinstated as Green Lantern after the War and Guy, John, and Kyle getting their rings back. I also think Guy will be the GL of 2814 and Emerald Warriors will become the GL on Earth book (letting Guy be part of the JLI reboot).

Green Lantern will be temporarily replaced with a Geoff Johns Hal Jordan lovefest book and I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of Hal/Sinestro team up book until Hal regains his GL ring at the end of a full year worth of stories.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, my guess was something pretty similar to that, Rans. I imagine Hal will be booted and the book will just become "Hal Jordan" or "Yellow Lantern" or something.

I don't think they'd kill off any of the lanterns at this point; killing Hal would kind of derail Johns's run so far, and killing anyone else would lead to a massive fan backlash.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe Hal will be the white Lantern or some shit

I don't really know how the White Lantern works though, so maybe that's not a thing

Solar on