As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    This is the same man who predicted the Rapture was going to take place in 1994 (clearly he was confused by the coming of the Sony Playstation console, not Jesus)

remember the second coming of sony?

I remember the second coming of your mom, last night.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Thing is probably most of those people aren't homeless.

In Atlanta? "Most" of those people are definitely homeless.

Aneurhythmia on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    where do you live that people hide their atheism

In America. In the mid-west. Is this a joke?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but there are a lot of people who do not want to "come out" as atheists because of discrimination and complete misunderstanding of what being an atheist is. They are afraid of being disowned by their families, friends, or loved ones. They are afraid of discrimination. I mean its not much different from being, say, Jewish or Muslim in america.

Actually. in the case of Judaism at least, it's probably worse to be atheist.

snip

at least Jews have Congressional representation

edit: strike that, I guess Pete Stark is still chugging along holding his CA-13th seat

you go, guy

MrMonroe on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    look, the real issue here is that Aquaman didn't put on a goddamn shirt to Superman's funeral

like, seriously man, no one wants to see that

He did it in honour of Superman's appreciation for Aquaman's chest.

Don't be hatin' Mysst.

Solar on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

There are a ton of people sitting around campus asking for money - but its because people will give it to them. There is one guy who will sit in the same spot every single day asking everyone who walks by for spare change as they come out of a Wendy's.

I've seen how many people give him change and I'm almost willing to bet he makes more money doing that than he would if he just went inside, picked up an application, and started working at the Wendy's full time.

you don't

you don't actually believe this do you

#pipe on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

There are a ton of people sitting around campus asking for money - but its because people will give it to them. There is one guy who will sit in the same spot every single day asking everyone who walks by for spare change as they come out of a Wendy's.

I've seen how many people give him change and I'm almost willing to bet he makes more money doing that than he would if he just went inside, picked up an application, and started working at the Wendy's full time.

you don't

The free ride ends now, homeless people!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think a character says something just like that in a book by Ben Elton

Stark I think it was.

HeavyVillain on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I can totally see firmskater getting all riled up every time he sees a "homeless" person begging, imagining the sweet life that they're all living when they get home to their 3 bedroom condo after a leisurely day of panhandling.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

you don't

The free ride ends now, homeless people!

One of the Portland radio stations tested the theory that homeless people could make 30k a year begging for change on the high-traffic intersections near I-5.

IIRC, it didn't go well and the guy only made like $20.

LTM on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nah I don't really care what he odes. Doesn't bother me.

But it is a very high traffic area and the dude sits out there all day and people give him money constantly.

Like, I'm sure he collects more than 7 bucks an hour

Which is minimum wage

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FWIW, I don't hate atheists.

I don't agree with them, and I respect their right to disagree with me. In fact, I probably have way more disagreements/arguments with other Christians than I do with atheists.

kingworks on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good god, I had no idea that the Eternal Earth-bound Pets guy was actually charging and making money out of the site

That... sure is something

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think most of my friends are atheists, and of those only one is so annoying about it that i unfollowed her on twitter because i was just tired of her constant attacks on religion

Quoth on
    edited May 2011

But it is a very high traffic area and the dude sits out there all day and people give him money constantly.

Which is minimum wage

I'm sure your deep analysis based on looking at the guy occasionally and seeing how often people give him indeterminate amounts of cash is an accurate way to determine a minimum amount that he must be making.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Good god, I had no idea that the Eternal Earth-bound Pets guy was actually charging and making money out of the site

That... sure is something

Sometimes the PT Barnum method of business really comes through.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Cargo CultureCargo Culture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how a thread about the end of the world has devolved into how much money panhandlers make.

Cargo Culture on
    [SIGPIC]I did warn you not to trust me.[/SIGPIC]
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sure homeless people don't earn much panhandling, but it's not like they have bills to pay or anything.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

Which is minimum wage

I'm sure your deep analysis based on looking at the guy occasionally and seeing how often people give him indeterminate amounts of cash is an accurate way to determine a minimum amount that he must be making.

And then jumping to the supposition that "most" other panhandlers aren't homeless...

Aneurhythmia on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are a handful of pan-handlers that make enough to pay rent and live off of it.

Of course for every one of them there's about a million who are just trying to scrape-together enough money so they can eat for the first time in 3 days.

TankHammer on
    edited May 2011
    Sure homeless people don't earn much panhandling, but it's not like they have bills to pay or anything.

And they sure aren't filing taxes on that income! What the hell, bums? Think you're better than everyone else?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited May 2011
    What always gets me are the people that complain about how put upon they are by all the panhandlers. They're taking up so much of my time! Guess what? If you're responding to a panhandler that you feel doesn't deserve any money, if you're engaging them in conversation and spending ten minutes arguing with them? That's all your fault. If you don't want them bothering you, just ignore them. Even beggars are smart enough to figure out that someone who refuses to pay any attention to them isn't going to give them any money.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Again from my time in Portland, there was one panhandler who was known to be a little direct and in people's faces.

One day he did it to the wrong person, and got shot and killed right outside my office building.

LTM on
    edited May 2011
    You know what? Even with someone that's "aggressive" and gets in your face, if you just ignore them they'll move on to someone else. Really. Even the dumbest person can figure out that someone that refuses to react to or acknowledge them isn't worth their time. I mean, unless the dude's trying to lift your wallet. But if they're just standing right in front of you asking for money, that may be what some people call aggressive panhandling but he's still going to find someone else to beg from if you just ignore him. And getting shot hardly justifies the perspective that he deserved it because he was being aggressive. It just means someone was enough of an asshole that they felt justified killing him over begging.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    one time a dude was begging in santa monica

he looked like a hipster, had a backpack and unkempt beard but was wearing normal enough clothes

he put a curse on me when i didn't give him any money :(

Quoth on
    edited May 2011
    Quoth wrote: »

he looked like a hipster, had a backpack and unkempt beard but was wearing normal enough clothes

It was a really obscure curse. you probably haven't heard of it.

Cargo Culture on
    edited May 2011
    You know what? Even with someone that's "aggressive" and gets in your face, if you just ignore them they'll move on to someone else. Really. Even the dumbest person can figure out that someone that refuses to react to or acknowledge them isn't worth their time. I mean, unless the dude's trying to lift your wallet. But if they're just standing right in front of you asking for money, that may be what some people call aggressive panhandling but he's still going to find someone else to beg from if you just ignore him. And getting shot hardly justifies the perspective that he deserved it because he was being aggressive. It just means someone was enough of an asshole that they felt justified killing him over begging.

I wasn't really endorsing the murder of vagrants, just telling the story.

Honestly, I feel like the homelessness issue is something that needs to be dealt with, not dealt with.

LTM on
    edited May 2011

:^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I solve the panhandling issue by rarely having any cash on me

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The correct response is to curse him back and tell him you're a gypsy and a witch and that he's pretty much fucked

Shouldn't have escalated it

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited May 2011

:^:

Indeed. Reported for awesome.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited May 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    I solve the panhandling issue by rarely having any cash on me

you should rectify that by asking people for spare change

Cargo Culture on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i really don't dig it when people complain about homeless people

just

think about it for a second

that makes you a dick

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I kill every homeless man I see

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

sexist

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i really don't dig it when people complain about homeless people

just

think about it for a second

that makes you a dick

not really no

I barely make enough money to eat

sorry life shat on you bro, but it's kinda prairie-dogging me right now so kindly go away

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Summoning TLB to the thread.

LTM on
    edited May 2011
    i think maybe part of the reaction against homeless people is "i just spent 8 hours at work making this money and now you want me to just give you some? for doing nothing? pffbt"

not saying this is an appropriate stance, just speculating

Quoth on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they got like these people that bum money over here, it's mainly women and children and they come up to you asking if you speak english or german or whatever; they have a card with "can I have some money" written on it in every language.

So if you give them money they have like a beggar ring leader who collects all the money. Not sure what they do with it, could be anything.

M.D. on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think there is anything really wrong with that stance.

Hunter on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's now the 21st where I am

hey jesus

come at me bro

Butler on
This discussion has been closed.