As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Flamethrower would work, too.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At her birth, Hestia granted Diana sisterhood with fire so flamethrowers are out.

Shotguns are still good though.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find it funny that she came down feet first, yet no one managed to shoot her in the legs.

CyberJackal on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate you guys right now

Furu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FURU THIS IS REAL TALK HAPPENING

Now, why doesn't anyone use a sword on Batman?

Batman doesn't have a sword.

Therefore he'd have no defense against one!

And if it was Hanzo steel? Pffftorget about it, that's one dead bat-chump, clyde!

Munch on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always thought that Wonder Woman using her bracelets was a bit superfluous

You know, other than it looks cool

I mean she can take punches from Superman

What the fuck is a .45 gonna do.

Solar on
  • BraintrustBraintrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    090809_akira.jpg
    Just read the great news that Akira lost its director after Keanu Reeves decided it wasn't a good move for a 46 year old white man to play an iconic 17 year old asian boy.
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/05/26/akira-looking-for-a-new-director/

Maybe it won't turn out to be a total failure. I am glad to hear that they are not making the same mistake as the first adaption. The anime adaption cover all 6 trades. This script will cover the first 3 trades. Should make for a less confusing mess of a movie.

Or it could be the following:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Braintrust on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish they would just forget about making the movie. If they do make it I hope it's a freaking bomb.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BraintrustBraintrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I wish they would just forget about making the movie. If they do make it I hope it's a freaking bomb.

I wish they sold the rights to a Hong Kong studio. I saw a Chinese live action version of Initial D. It was pretty good. As a fan I am fine with subtitles or even a good dub.

Braintrust on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

Wonder Woman's only weakness is Batman's lips because they belong together, that episode better emphasize that, boo Steve Trevor.

Spider-Man was on American Idol last night, part of a rehab PR blitz for the reworked show.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Wonder Woman's only weakness is Batman's lips because they belong together, that episode better emphasize that, boo Steve Trevor.

Pfeh, Catwoman is better in every way.

Solar on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here are some new clips from X-men: First Class that Comics Alliance put up today. After watching them I'm torn between fanboy glee and near over-whelming worry.

Plus side, John Lennon Banshee.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First actual clip from Green Lantern.
    http://youtu.be/ZCaHk0OJsOg

Kilowog says it

Bloods End on
    edited May 2011
    So

the actual ring slinging looks pretty cool

Surprisingly so

Solar on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    Here are some new clips from X-men: First Class that Comics Alliance put up today. After watching them I'm torn between fanboy glee and near over-whelming worry.

Plus side, John Lennon Banshee.

It's supposedly getting really good reviews from early screenings.

And I'm digging Professor X and Magneto. That scene in the beach was nicely done.

Kyougu on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So...apparently
    will be making an appearance in the Avengers movie.

Seems a bit over-powered to be the main villain. Though I suppose if they don't give him the
    Infinity Gauntlet
    it could be reasonable for him to make an appearance.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well then, it sucks for them that the
    Infinity Gauntlet made an appearance in Thor. And really, is Thanos with the gauntlet really that much worse than Loki with the Cosmic Cube? Shit, maybe in the end the Avengers have to work with Loki to help save Midgard/Asgard from Thanos.

I still want Loki, the god of lies, to bring the shapeshifting Skrulls to Earth. They seem like a match made in Hell (Hel?)

Undead Scottsman on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe it'll be an attempted robbery that's quashed in seconds to establish someone's power.

Bagginses on
    edited May 2011
    The Avengers movie is probably going to be 'Secret Invasion: The Movie'

cshadow42 on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Has there ever really been a movie that after years of betting passed around and being made then not being made then on the table then off and etc etc, finally gets made and is good? I can only think of Avatar, but it's not nearly in the same vein because it was only put off until technical limitations were breached.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Has there ever really been a movie that after years of betting passed around and being made then not being made then on the table then off and etc etc, finally gets made and is good? I can only think of Avatar, but it's not nearly in the same vein because it was only put off until technical limitations were breached.

I feel like the majority of the ones this happens for actually end up being licensed, and usually comic book films. For example, the first Superman ('78) and Batman('89) movies struggled through development hell, as did Batman Begins and (less "good") Superman Returns. But that wasn't so much a specific idea or script being retooled as it was many, many attempts to launch movies of those characters from different pitches and ideas.

Also, I think Speed Racer spent years in development Hell, and I thought that turned out pretty great. Watchmen was really close to being produced at Warner Brothers in the early 90s after Batman was a huge success, but eventually shelved. They even used the same screenwriter from Batman '89, and he absolutely butchered the source material. The Zack Snyder version was iffy in some respects, but not terrible and probably pretty close to the "best" it could have turned out.

As for movies that came as adaptations of novels or foreign films, or original film ideas, I know they're out there, but I'd have a harder time thinking of them.

HadjiQuest on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the first superman movie will forever be a sore spot for me

charles bronson was a lead choice for the role and he ain't get it

bronson kent woulda been baller

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could always watch Charles Bronson in Killing Hipsters:

http://youtu.be/gEyP4Q8igQY

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2011
    I watch that at least once a week

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    So Isaiah Mustsafa (Old Spice guy) has stepped up his push to be picked to play Luke Cage, making a short promo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XbfrJaZSM8&feature=player_embedded

The only thing that brings it down is that they reused music and sound effects from one of the Thor commercials.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fantastic

Antimatter on
    edited May 2011
    he is so not getting the part

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    If he could do a Chris Hemsworth style bulk-up, then I'd be down with him playing Luke Cage.

Undead Scottsman on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    he is so not getting the part

Why do you say that?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It doesn't really showcase why he'd be good for the part. There's no humor or over the top bravado. Hell, replace him with Chris Evans and you'd have a trailer for Captain America,.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2011
    And Luke Cage's eyes don't glow. Plus when he talks, I can't help but think of the Old Spice commercial. And that makes me think of the Grover parody of the Old Spice commercial. And while Super Grover may be cool, its just doesn't have that Shaft-vibe I would need from a Luke Cage movie.

cshadow42 on
    edited May 2011
    No he would be great

And he wants to do it really badly which means at least he would be enthusiastic and really put his eart and soul into the performance.

Solar on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gotta agree, he would be awesome in that role.

And if he cares enough to produce something like that you know he's going to take the role seriously. But yeah, he's gonna have to beef up a little.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have said it before

Mustafa would be great and could get the part if they were doing a cheesy Heroes for Hire type movie, or more likely a TV show, with 70s Cage.

He has zero chance of getting it in a serious adaptation, especially since Idris Elba has said he wants the part and he would be fucking phenomenal.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    No he would be great

And he wants to do it really badly which means at least he would be enthusiastic and really put his eart and soul into the performance.

It doesn't matter if he puts his heart and soul into the performance if he's not a good actor.

Garlic Bread on
    edited May 2011
    Idris Elba can't be Cage because he's Heimdall. Evans was able to be Cap because the FF movie is going to be rebooted, and if Marvel switched Elba out it wouldn't look right with the same thing being done in Iron Man 2. All black guys look alike, etc. etc.

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is no "one character" rule, especially since Heimdall and Cage are so wildly different.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I couldn't even tell it was him under that huge helmet.

BionicPenguin on
    edited May 2011
    Marlo should be Luke Cage anyway. He's got the street cred for it.

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.