As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picture Texican as Chevy Chase from Community because it's his icon a lot. Formerly thought of him as a member of an 80s hair band.

cardboard delusions on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ha! Me too.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    For future reference

I am, in fact, not a robot.

Nor were you Chris Hemsworth.

I, however, am a giant size Man-Thing.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am in fact a female robot

(I wish :c)

Antimatter on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait what happened to Stel from GL?

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    took some femzoil

Antimatter on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't wait for the first Avengers shot to make it to ze internets. I want a big group shot, dammit!

Undead Scottsman on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish I was Sentry's belt-buckle. :(

Wildcat on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picture Texican as Chevy Chase from Community because it's his icon a lot. Formerly thought of him as a member of an 80s hair band.

Exactly the same here.

Solar on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It helps that he is a grumpy old man.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    haha, it does at that

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    Solar on
    edited June 2011
    Hey. Hey. I'm a grumpy twenty something buying Farmers insurance because Beast is their salesman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsELSH64JA

He said if I didn't buy the policy I hated mutants, and while true it would just look bad.

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You should be buying Farmers because their spokesman is J.K. Simmons, seriously

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2011
    In this week's comics the ad for the Captain America videogame shows Viper being in it, is she also in the movie and I just missed out on that piece of news? Having her be the Japanese villain to expand it beyond the Nazis would actually be a nice idea.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just in the video game, like Baron Strucker, Iron Cross, and presumably others

Furu on
    edited June 2011
    Awwww :(

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011

After his king-lobbiest role in "Thankyou for Smoking", I pretty much do whatever ol J.K. tells me to.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gank wrote: »

After his king-lobbiest role in "Thankyou for Smoking", I pretty much do whatever ol J.K. tells me to.

you best be smoking then, boy

unless you like not being cool and popular

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Went through all of X-Men evolution recently. It is surprisingly good, perhaps without the cloud of nostalgia I'd even say it was better than the 90s version. Despite some glaring inconsistencies it also seems like it leads nicely into Wolverine and the X-Men.

The season finale was a bit meh. I did like Apocalypse's horsemen though. The only thing I thought was really weak about the series was Magneto's characterization.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited June 2011
    Having watched all 3 series back to back (well, only half of Wolverine and the X-Men) and Evolutions is leagues better then original X-men show IMO.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    New spider-Man Edge of Time trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuD3lxuyp6M

Anti-Venom is evil for some reason! Okay I guess!

Furu on
    edited June 2011
    I was about to say...

There's a reason he's called "Anti" venom, dammit!

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    Off to watch me some X-men: First Class...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I am so happy Spidey 2099 is getting so much love

Antimatter on
    edited June 2011
    Aaaaaand despite my reservations, X-men: First Class was fucking sweet.

The opening
    is a perfect recreation of the first scene of the first X-men film, young Magneto going mental and bending the gate, then you get Professor X being a horn-dog using mutant pick up lines. Speaking of, Mcavoy really does a mean Charles Xavier, which surprised me. He held the accent well and kept a perfect level of smug the whole movie.

Shaw's powers don't actually deviate from the comics too much either and Kevin Bacon really played Shaw well, even if Shaw is just Magneto (and Magneto is Wolverine) in this movie, helmet and all.

It's not all peaches and cream, they way kill off
    Darwin
    is in direct opposition to his power and it happens way too early. January Jones while looking the part perfectly was pretty wooden a lot of the time. And Azazel is just a one-line Reverse-Nightcrawler.

There's also a funny ass cameo with
    Hugh Jackman/Wolverine in a bar
    that actually made me laugh out loud.

So yeah, Matthew Vaughn made a period X-men film that's as good as X2 was. Marvel is really picking up their movie game. If the trend continues, Avengers is going to give me heart attack from an overdose of joy.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    X-Men is a Fox movie, not a Marvel movie.

And it was awesome. Kevin Bacon was perfect.

Algertman on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching that tonight. Completely escaped me that Singer was involved. Guess it being good shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Kyougu on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to find a reviewer so dumb that her review could actually cause you to want to see the movie more? The answer is yes, and Debbie Schlussel from Fox and Friends is that reviewer.

I almost feel a little sorry for her. Without (almost) any pretense at humor at all, she seems borderline retarded.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »

HAHA! That was fantastic, I did NOT see that coming. From your description I thought this was one of those Conan Thor clips.
    Is it possible to find a reviewer so dumb that her review could actually cause you to want to see the movie more? The answer is yes, and Debbie Schlussel from Fox and Friends is that reviewer.

I almost feel a little sorry for her. Without (almost) any pretense at humor at all, she seems borderline retarded.

There are so many fantastic quotes in that "review".

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

HAHA! That was fantastic, I did NOT see that coming. From your description I thought this was one of those Conan Thor clips.

There are so many fantastic quotes in that "review".

The comments section is a goldmine, too.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited June 2011

Jee-SUS! I found myself actually yelling at my monitor for how idiotic some of her "insights" were.
    Now, it’s the Cold War, and Shaw and Frost are trying to get the U.S., Cuba, and the Soviets to start a nuclear war against each other. Why? They don’t say. They’re just evil.

Yes They do say. Multiple times.
    Anything to avoid touching on a more current battle, like the West versus Islam, right?
    Like I said, the second half of the movie ends up being a mess of special effects, fighting, and useless left-wing peacenik-isms.

What? What?! I just stopped believing she was serious at this point.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So looks like the Green lantern ARG has produced an audio clip of Parallax

http://youtu.be/0S9JCBiBZqI

Bloods End on
    edited June 2011
    X-Men: First Class was really good. Spot-on casting, good story, the humor was funny but not overpowering and the action sequences were fun to watch.

I had to leave before the credits finished though, was there a post credits sequence and what was it?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    I didn't stay cos I figured only the Avengers set-up films would have the post credity goodness. But apparently there isn't anything after the credits, much to some peoples chagrin.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    There was one at the end of X-Men 3.. and X-Men Origins IIRC.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, most Wolverine screenings had one. I can't for the life of me remember what was after X-men 3 though.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That was pretty cool! I loved the cast, Magneto and Xavier were played beautifully I think. Part of me wishes they'd just move on from this one and scrub the last three movies.
    I also liked how they snuck Jackman in to drop the film's only eff bomb. Seemed appropriate enough.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, most Wolverine screenings had one. I can't for the life of me remember what was after X-men 3 though.
    Professor X took control of the mindless man he had mentioned earlier in the film. Magneto was shown to be regaining his power.

Man, the movie is 5 years old. Is that really a spoiler?

Urgh, it's been 5 years since I graduated high school. I feel older and older each day.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Professor X took control of the mindless man he had mentioned earlier in the film. Magneto was shown to be regaining his power.

Urgh, it's been 5 years since I graduated high school. I feel older and older each day.

Was that the with the chess piece? Because that was the very last scene before the credits. But I definitely don't remember Charlie going body-snatcher.

Edit: You're right about it being too old, I ain't spoilerin' it.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Was that the with the chess piece? Because that was the very last scene before the credits. But I definitely don't remember Charlie going body-snatcher.

Yeah the Chess piece.

But, once again, I must warn some of you, spoilers for a 5 year old film
    During a class with the younger mutants, Prof. X is shown teaching them about ethics, and mentioning whether it's ethical to take control of a husk that has no conscious. After the credits, his mind takes control of the husk in the infirmary.

Can't wait to see First Class on Sunday night.

HadjiQuest on
This discussion has been closed.