As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    It's not a competition even if Geoff John's wants it to be a competition (and in some senses, the DC comics characters are more iconic than Marvel ones, because guys like Superman and Wonder Woman have much more of a significant cultural meaning than any Marvel characters).

Well seeing how DC and Marvel are huge competitors I'm pretty sure it CAN be classified as a competition. In this case the competition is who puts out the better movie/movies this summer.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe. But for me, I'd rather both movies were great or even good than either one be poor.

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    Maybe. But for me, I'd rather both movies were great or even good than either one be poor.

Ya I want both movies to be good too, if only for the sake of Green Lantern fans, but that didn't happen and I'm not gonna pretend like I'm upset my favorite comic company is besting it's rival this summer.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    It's not a competition even if Geoff John's wants it to be a competition (and in some senses, the DC comics characters are more iconic than Marvel ones, because guys like Superman and Wonder Woman have much more of a significant cultural meaning than any Marvel characters).

Well seeing how DC and Marvel are huge competitors I'm pretty sure it CAN be classified as a competition. In this case the competition is who puts out the better movie/movies this summer.

It's not a competition for you because you gain absolutely nothing by one movie being better than the other

Other than a smug sense of self righteousness?

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »

It's not a competition for you because you gain absolutely nothing by one movie being better than the other

Other than a smug sense of self righteousness?

I wouldn't say a smug sense of self righteousness is the right word. That would imply I look down on the Green Lantern franchise and it's fans. I don't think Thor is any better or any worse of a franchise than Green Lantern is. Thor just appeals to my personal tastes more.

However, even though they didn't go head to head, I do think Green Lantern and Thor were competitors this summer. Both are risky and tough franchises to bring to the big screen. Both are very popular characters amongst us comic fans, but not so much outside of comics. I do think Green Lantern NOT being good makes Thor look better. I've already noticed several reviews saying Green Lantern isn't as good of a movie as Thor.

I think that will make Thor look all the better. Which DOES benefit me as every little thing that makes Thor stand out more makes his chances at a sequel grow larger. If it was the opposite and Green Lantern was good when Thor sucked, hopefully I would think that benefited Green Lantern.

I know many think that's silly or just plain stupid, but hey, I still feel its true.

Wishpig on

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Even with bad reviews I'll still watch it and most likely enjoy it. I'm not looking for an oscar winner, I'm looking for a big, loud moving comic. Anything better is a bonus.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Also it's not a competition because Green Lantern comes out over a month after Thor did and when Thor is basically out of theaters.

It's not like people are going to be all "SHOULD I SEE GREEN LANTERN OR THOR?" If they wanted to see Thor they most likely have already

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Also it's not a competition because Green Lantern comes out over a month after Thor did and when Thor is basically out of theaters.

It's not like people are going to be all "SHOULD I SEE GREEN LANTERN OR THOR?" If they wanted to see Thor they most likely have already

True, X-men and Green Lantern are more of a technical competition, but I explained why Green Lantern and Thor are still somewhat in a competition above. They're certainly in a more comparable position, and in the big scheme of the summer box office, DC vs Marvel, they are.

They are both untested and risky franchise and both movies have been treated like they're in a competition by critics and fans despite the difference in release dates.

Wishpig on

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think DC has been running on nostalgia fumes for quite a while. It still has some good points (recent Batman revival, Gail Simone), but for the most part it just seems to be either retreading the same material or going for shock value.

I think it would be cool if they brought a newer property to the screen, like Static Shock. Or Blue Beetle, Jamie Reyes style.

Honestly, I think DC needs to focus on their lesser powered heroes rather than the "godly" ones such as Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. It is kind of boring when a hero has every damn power or can do anything. Fortunately Batman has weathered time well.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited June 2011
    I disagree. I love reading about high-powered characters and if all Superheroes were a variation on Spider-Man level dudes then a lot would be lost, I think. The whole "guys like Superman are boring" has been proven time and time again to be wrong. In fact, writers like Morrison who turned wrote the JLA as Gods have provided some of my most enjoyed comics (including the JLA series which remains to this day a fantastic piece of work and the foundation of the modern superhero team, I think).

Solar on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think that a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle movie could work really well.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    That's more likely to end up like Steel than Green Lantern.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would kill for a Blue Beetle cartoon in the vein of Batman Beyond. Not the future thing, just the same tone. That show really did the whole "highschool kid" with powers really well.

Kyougu on
  • IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yeah, only some Marvel characters like Spider-Man approach that level of iconic. If I ask a relative what Mjolnir is, I know how it will go.

That said, I don't intend to go watch Green Lantern. I don't slavishly follow reviews for movies, but I'm lukewarm to the GL franchise and the advance stuff never did much for me. This seems like one to catch on TV later.

Indi on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, Green Lantern is NOT a guy most people have a clue about. He's not terribly well known as far as I know, and he has an absolutely WEIRD powerset that takes a bit of explaining

Superman? Yes, he's an icon. Batman? Had the '60s show, the Burton films and the recent films. Wonder Woman? Had the TV show.... Beyond that though? I'd say everyone else, pound for pound, is on par with Marvel characters. And behind the bigger marvel characters like Spiderman and Wolverine. (Well, post Hugh Jackman Wolverine)

Undead Scottsman on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been following "Green Lantern" as a search term on twitter, and about one sixth of the tweets come from bewildered people wondering why Green Lantern isn't black anymore and that the original Green Lantern is a black man.

the JLU generation

Rans on
    edited June 2011
    That's where I first saw Green Lantern.

Undead Scottsman on
  • IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heh Brevoort just got asked the same thing in Formspring.

Indi on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DC doesn't really have any more iconic heroes than Marvel does. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are basically it. And WW is only iconic as a brand, no one knows shit about the actual character but people buy the underwear and halloween costumes and shit. I guess Aquaman is kind of iconic as a running joke.

LockedOnTarget on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd definitely pay to see a "Shazam" movie. I'd pay double to see a good one.

Tach on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2011
    I'm not really surprised to see the reviews for Green Lantern going the way they are. Consensus seems to be that the visuals are good, but if the shots in the trailers and ads are indicative of what we're going to see in the movie, yeesh.

DJ Eebs on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If they had had Samuel L. Jackson play the Green Lantern, THAT I would've gone to see.

That said, reviews so far at Rotten Tomatoes are placing "Mr. Popper's Penguins" ahead of Green Lantern by a mile.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Green Lantern just has "generic superhero film" written all over it. As superhero films become more common, it becomes that much more important to break away from the formula of a handsome man discovering immense power, learning to control that power while flirting with some woman, and then fighting an evil genius.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    If they had had Samuel L. Jackson play the Green Lantern, THAT I would've gone to see.

I don't see Samuel L. Jackson fitting the role of John Stewart at all. Though admittedly the majority of my knowledge of the character comes from the DCAU Justice League.

All that really needed to be done to make Green Lantern good was to make James Bond in space with power rings.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But Green Lantern isn't James Bond. He's a Space Cop. He investigates Space Crimes.

Centipede Damascus on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shoulda hired me to make the green lantern movie

it would be the best space buddy cop movie

the guardians all gettin' mad at sinestro for being a loose cannon

all TURN IN YOUR RING AND LANTERN

and sinestro all telling them he gets results

oh hal would be in it too I guess

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But Green Lantern isn't James Bond. He's a Space Cop. He investigates Space Crimes.

I suppose but I'm saying what I expected/wanted from Martin Campbell.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SINESTRO YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL YOU MADE RAO GO SUPERNOVA

Centipede Damascus on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's where I first saw Green Lantern.

Me too.

Actually, the first time I saw Green Lantern was on the Superman animated series but I don't remember which incarnation that was. Justice League was the first time I actually took notice of him and got to know the a lot of the mythos surrounding the ring. I was always aware of GL, he was just never a hero I cared much about til then.

Quid on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The GL on Superman was named Kyle Rayner, but he looked like Hal Jordan.

Anyway, Hal Jordan is too goddamn boring to carry a film. Reynolds would've been way better as Guy Gardner.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2011
    The GL on Superman was named Kyle Rayner, but he looked like Hal Jordan.

Anyway, Hal Jordan is too goddamn boring to carry a film. Reynolds would've been way better as Guy Gardner.

Yes yes. If I've learned anything form these past few months of reading up on GL, it's that Gardner is a far superior Lantern compared to Hal "Dick Move" Jordan.

I wanna make a compilation image of all the times Hal has cheap shot punched someone in the face. Which is a lot. In fact, probably too many.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    We need more female superhero movies, that's a certain.

I really hope the Ant-Man movie evoloved into a more buddy movie with Ant-Man and Wasp doing the superhero thing while furthering SCIENCE!

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    We need to get rid of origins in superhero films

because they take ages to tell and have been done again and again

A nice pre-credits montage or something would sort all that shit out and allow us to get to the nitty gritty of the time when whoever fought those crazy aliens or whatever.

Solar on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just came back from the midnight screening. It sucks significantly!
    Mostly I had issues with the visuals. The constructs were all cool (Sinestro & Hal sparring was the best scene) it just looked awful. They had some great concept designers and no one good enough to make it look mildly appealing. I don't know how they spent so much money and got such poor results. It really looked like an expensive episode of Smallville, or a Syfy channel film at some points.

The worst thing is they seemingly use computer graphics for everything including normal Earth scenes. I think they were trying to create a similar tone so it's not jarring when they skip to the deep space all green screen scenes, but it just makes the whole film ugly. Views outside of windows and balconies look fake and dropped in digitally, all the lighting is artificial, and nothing even tries to have a sense of grounded realism or plausibility. There's an early scene where Hal is supposed to eject out of his stalled plane, but then flashes back to his father's crash. Except the flashback is corny as fuck and poorly shot and directed and looks like a low budget made for TV movie.

So much unbelievable shit happens that the characters don't freak out too much about and the movie keeps trucking along. Although, there is a funny and realistic approach to secret identities in one scene. Basically, the story concept is fine, but in its details, it is lacking in both heart and intelligence.

I will say this, though: I think kids are going to love this movie. They're not going to care as much about the flaws, and I know I would be psyched about the cool powers that Hal exhibits.

Lux on
    edited June 2011
    We need to get rid of origins in superhero films

because they take ages to tell and have been done again and again

A nice pre-credits montage or something would sort all that shit out and allow us to get to the nitty gritty of the time when whoever fought those crazy aliens or whatever.

I swear I've seen that recently, a woman narrating over the top of a montage to quickly explain a heroes origin.... Be damned if I can remember it though.

Thor kinda did it, leaving out an origin that is. And the original X-men film had an established team with Wolverine joining, so they kind of skipped around it too. But they're really the only ones I can think off that pulled it off.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Spider-Man 2, strangely enough, showed how to do it. It recapped the first movie in the opening credits really well and let the second one just get on with it.

Solar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just came back from Green Lantern.
    Parallax was completely unnecessary and wasted in this film. The only reason they needed him was so they could get the yellow ring into the plot and set up a sequel in a minimum of time and effort. He was basically Galactus-lite that was destroyed by getting tricked. An entity billions of years old fell for a simple trick in the end and fell into the sun like a rookie, jeezus. The only thing I really liked was Peter Skaarsgard playing Hammond, he had this awkward/unsettling method that I thought really nailed his performance. There are so many problems I had with the movie, but it's 3:30 a.m. and I can only rant so much. It basically failed for me as a movie, as I'm sure it did with many other people who saw it. I certainly hope the sequel will be better than this. This wasn't a good start. Green Lantern deserves better.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SINESTRO YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL YOU MADE RAO GO SUPERNOVA

"I'm trying to eat here."

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2011
    Spider-Man 2, strangely enough, showed how to do it. It recapped the first movie in the opening credits really well and let the second one just get on with it.

Incredible Hulk did a pretty good job of it too. (A montage of the gamma accident, the falling out between Banner and Ross, and Ross/the military hunting for him, spliced in with newspaper clippers, aquisition requests and etc.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    That was it! No narrator... don't know why I thought there was one. But yeah, Incredible Hulk did it really well.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.