As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh good.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be any real objection to what Loeb has done when we get to the summer convention circuit. Maybe have it be Marvel's version of one girl constantly making Didio mad. Nothing mean, but basically comparing how good EMH is with USM.

On a Young Justice question, is the series back on hiatus after last week? Wikipedia isn't showing any new air dates, so I guess see you in 2013, YJ.

• Options
    Well, considering they took down Loeb's Facebook page on account of all the harassment, I have a feeling there might be some unpleasantness at Comic-Con.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be any real objection to what Loeb has done when we get to the summer convention circuit. Maybe have it be Marvel's version of one girl constantly making Didio mad. Nothing mean, but basically comparing how good EMH is with USM.

On a Young Justice question, is the series back on hiatus after last week? Wikipedia isn't showing any new air dates, so I guess see you in 2013, YJ.

it's taking a "summer break"

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Loeb deserves every amount of shit he'll get for the EMH cancellation.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Going off that article though, Ult. Spidey has been doing really good for Disney XD, so I mean, we hate it, but apparently someone out there's watching it.

Also, I hadn't seen this game footage from the new Spider-Man game;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0UQWUGVaCrw#!

I like a lot of what I seen, including the closer camera angle and graphics, but at times, when Spidey releases a swing, it seems almost as if he's floating/sky diving..sorta weird.

Just as weird as the whole webs stick anywhere thing. It's really only noticeable briefly in the video, when he crosses a park, but I didn't care for it.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    To infiltrate dog-fighting syndicates

and criminal organizations for the blind.

And dog show based crime. Can't forget that.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Will there be a bunch of people spewing random crap and making the Loeb/USM hate look bad? Yes. Will there be someone who is rather articulate and gets him to say something as patently stupid as Didio did about women in the New 52? No.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »

Going off that article though, Ult. Spidey has been doing really good for Disney XD, so I mean, we hate it, but apparently someone out there's watching it.

It's Spider-Man
    You'd have to have some epic levels of fail to not do well with that
    Loeb is trying his best, but ruining a Spider-Man show takes some hard work

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

It's Spider-Man
    You'd have to have some epic levels of fail to not do well with that
    Loeb is trying his best, but ruining a Spider-Man show takes some hard work

I'm sure he's going to fuck over USM eventually. He's Loeb, it's what he does.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Will there be a bunch of people spewing random crap and making the Loeb/USM hate look bad? Yes. Will there be someone who is rather articulate and gets him to say something as patently stupid as Didio did about women in the New 52? No.

I'm not up to date with stuff. What did he say?

• Options
    That was a reference to last year when he was confronted by "Batwoman" (whose RL escapes me) at SDCC.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This looks promising. Don't know if it has been posted yet.

Sony says Spider-Man can be an Avenger.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sony doesn't say it, Avi Arad says it. He's a producer on every Marvel movie and founded Marvel Studios.

Pretty big difference, sadly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'd rather not have give companies like Fox and Sony a say on what happens in an Avenger movie. Their track records aren't very good.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't need Spider-man or Wolverine in Avengers that badly.

I would however be cool with Marvel paying to use Magneto(For scarlet Witch) or Osborn(because if they are doing Civil War they could at least have are real villain).

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The Avengers have plenty of good villains without dragging in Spider-Man's or X-Men villains.

• Options
    The Avengers have plenty of good villains without dragging in Spider-Man's or X-Men villains.

Magneto wouldn't be a villain. It would just be easier for Avengers to use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver if they could say their fathers fricken name.

And if they do Civil War the real Avengers should be on one side. Osborn is the Avengers Villain that fills that hole.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Or they could just have Red Skull in disguise like EMH is doing and the comics have done in the past

way easier

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Eh, given they can't use Scarlet Witch as a mutant, her backstory is going to have to be changed anyway. I'd vote they just make her an orphan left in the care of Agatha Harkness, and was raised as a sorceress. Boom done.

EDIT: Also, making Civil War black and white would completely defeat the point of doing it. I'd really rather them not do it at all if they were going to do "it was the Red Skull's evil plan all along!" and have all the heroes be in the right all the time. If it's just going to be good guys versus bad guys, I'd rather see Ultron or Kang or something. The whole point of Civil War is that it's a house divided: Avenger vs Avenger. If you're not going to do that, then why bother? What allure does the story have then?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Eh, given they can't use Scarlet Witch as a mutant, her backstory is going to have to be changed anyway. I'd vote they just make her an orphan left in the care of Agatha Harkness, and was raised as a sorceress. Boom done.

EDIT: Also, making Civil War black and white would completely defeat the point of doing it. I'd really rather them not do it at all if they were going to do "it was the Red Skull's evil plan all along!" and have all the heroes be in the right all the time. If it's just going to be good guys versus bad guys, I'd rather see Ultron or Kang or something. The whole point of Civil War is that it's a house divided: Avenger vs Avenger. If you're not going to do that, then why bother? What allure does the story have then?
    Well the thing is

they can't do Civil War as Avenger vs. Avenger because there are only 6 of them

that ain't much of a war

the whole reason it was a big deal in the 616 was because there are hundreds of superheroes running around

the MCU only has a handful and none of them have secret identities

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012

If they can get Fox or whoever to let them they can. That was what I was saying.

About Scarlet and Quicksilver that is.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Well the thing is

that ain't much of a war

the whole reason it was a big deal in the 616 was because there are hundreds of superheroes running around

the MCU only has a handful and none of them have secret identities
    Thanos
    is probably the focus for Avengers 2, which means the soonest they could do Civil War would be Avengers 3, which would jive with what Feige said about potentially doing Civil War in the MCU. That's a film that's probably ten years off. There's no telling who could be introduced by then. We've got Ant-Man soon, and he'll probably bring Wasp along with him. Falcon is rumored for Cap 2. They're planning at least two films a year for the forseeable future. Even a single new character introduced in each film would bring the total up to well over twenty heroes. They could also potentially start doing the smaller budget short films that were rumored years ago; or do some anthology films. Additionally, there's no way they would give every character a ton of screentime anyway, so bringing in other new heroes as cameos in a Civil War movie would work as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure Banner = Hulk is not common knowledge. But regardless, "secret identities" is the absolutely WRONG way of looking at the Civil War for the MCU. It's not about you're name being put onto a list, it's about being essentially drafted into a superhuman army, one who's goals you may or may not be comfortable or happy with. The key thing is to have the conflict of Hero vs Hero i.e. the Civil War. That's the draw of the story.

Granted, like I said, I'd rather they do Ultron or something. But if we MUST get them to do Civil War, then I'd like for them to at least make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Sorry for the "Ugh." That was from an old post.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would imagine that a movie version of Civil War would be a lot clearer about exactly what the effects and ramifications of the SHRA actually are. That solves the only real problem. Adding heroes isn't one for reasons Undead Scottsman listed.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I'd be happy with a Dark Avengers storyline, with each of the individual movies introducing the hero's polar opposite, and then all the bad guys get together for the Avengers movie (a la Masters of Evil, etc.).

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular

that ain't much of a war

This is the number one thing that pops into my head when people start talking about a Civil War Avengers movie.

There's only 6 people. They'd have to introduce a fuckton of new heroes in the next movie and other movies/short films to make this happen in the 3rd. It's possible, but I really don't see it happening.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    They don't really need to introduce them individually, though. The X-Men movies didn't take the time to show every single background mutant in detail, after all. It could be as simple as Nick Fury pointing out that new heroes are popping up all the time.

Plus, by virtue of the characters being masked superheroes, you don't have to shell out a bunch of money for real actors. Just put a stunt guy in the Iron Fist costume, have him do some cool shit in the background, and then, when you decide you want to make an Iron Fist movie, you can cast a real actor for it.

I'm not really a fan of Civil War, and don't care to see it translated to film, but it could certainly be done.

Munch on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    So did anyone else watch the new Superman vs. The Elite DVD that came out yesterday?

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    They don't really need to introduce them individually, though. The X-Men movies didn't take the time to show every single background mutant in detail, after all. It could be as simple as Nick Fury pointing out that new heroes are popping up all the time.

Plus, by virtue of the characters being masked superheroes, you don't have to shell out a bunch of money for real actors. Just put a stunt guy in the Iron Fist costume, have him do some cool shit in the background, and then, when you decide you want to make an Iron Fist movie, you can cast a real actor for it.

I'm not really a fan of Civil War, and don't care to see it translated to film, but it could certainly be done.

I suppose that might work for the cinematic universe. Nick Fury could reveal that the Avengers aren't the only team in town, maybe namedrop Thunderbolts and Defenders or something. It would still feel really empty if they just threw a fuckton of new heroes at us, and show them fighting over registration, but you don't know why because there is no character development.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Munch wrote: »

X-men was able to get away with it because they focussed on Wolverine and Rogue over everybody else. Another benefit is that being mutants is a plot device that allows them to have powers with little explanation. It does have its disadvantages what with them being hated and feared, while non-mutant heroes aren't. Comic readers can deal with that in the same universe, the public will think it's stupid. That's why I like the X-men having their own movie universe.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So did anyone else watch the new Superman vs. The Elite DVD that came out yesterday?

I've heard nothing about it so far, but Chris Sims just did a review where he says it's better than the comic, although he didn't like the comic (WTF). He seems to not really be a Superman guy and really seems to not like Joe Kelly's work, so that might weigh down his opinion of the film.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

I've heard nothing about it so far, but Chris Sims just did a review where he says it's better than the comic, although he didn't like the comic (WTF). He seems to not really be a Superman guy and really seems to not like Joe Kelly's work, so that might weigh down his opinion of the film.

Eh, I think as a writer Sims is enjoyable, but man does he have some weird opinions. He hated Superman 1 and 2 but really liked the other two cause they were 'silver age'. Same with the Batman movies actually.

I just reread Action Comics 775(woo Comixology sale) and are looking forward to the movie. Hopefully the bland character designs look better in motion.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    civil war was dumb and caused a lot of dumb things to happen
    and the illuminati thing with the big brainy guys sending hulk into outer space was dumb

the whole comicbook superfights cause collateral damage and to be a mature company we need to address this in a really ham-fisted way thing is dumb
    i am sure there is a good way to address superfight collateral damage, but i haven't see it

• Options

Eh, I think as a writer Sims is enjoyable, but man does he have some weird opinions. He hated Superman 1 and 2 but really liked the other two cause they were 'silver age'. Same with the Batman movies actually.
    Well, if you're committed to the idea that Batman doesn't kill then the Burton movies (and all the rest to a lesser extent save for Dark Knight) are atrocious. To be honest, I remember the first one more for the fact that Warner Bros. promoted the everliving fuck out of that movie, merch was everywhere, and Taco Bell introduced their cinna-twists in a Batman tie-in. If the Berlin Wall hadn't fallen that year it's the only thing anyone would remember about 1989.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    1989: World made incomparably more awesome when I am born in March.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options

What? No, he hated Superman 4.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/05/29/comicsalliance-reviews-superman-iv-the-quest-for-peace-1987/
    Chris Sims: Welcome back to ComicsAlliance's in-depth reviews of the Superman film franchise, everyone! Of all the Superman movies, this week's subject, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, is probably the most maligned. I have to say, though, as much as it might defy conventional wisdom, I really thought this was an under-appreciated classic.

David Uzumeri: When you think about it, it's easily the most effective at expressing Superman's capacity for widescale social justice, as well as the franchise's ability to deal with real social issues and relevant themes.

Chris: It's really the truest to the character and -- okay, I can't keep that up any longer. We're just kidding, folks: This movie's atrocious.

David: It's cloying, hamfisted, patronizingly didactic and hilariously low-rent.

And really, he didn't hate Superman 1, he just said it was a mixed bag. Which it is.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/19/comicsalliance-reviews-superman-the-movie-1978-part-two/
    Chris: When we started, I said that this was one of the most overrated movies of all time, and I stand by it. That doesn't mean that I think that it's 100% awful from start to finish, or that I don't think there's anything good in it. There's lots of good stuff in here. But so many people hold this up as a perfect translation of comics to film, and it's not. It's deeply flawed - and in my opinion, fatally flawed - despite some genuinely brilliant aspects. It's a bad movie with great performances.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Christ I'm old. March of '89 was when my younger brother turned eight.

Anyway, Sims makes a pretty clear argument as to why he didn't like Action #775. He's very much a show-don't-tell person, and this does not sounds like that kind of a book.
    It's a confrontational and weirdly defensive story that's based around the idea that Superman's morality needs to be defended, and when that's your starting point, you've already pretty much lost whatever argument it is you're having. The best Superman stories don't attempt to justify his actions, they let the actions themselves provide the justification. The fact that this is a story where Superman essentially lectures a proxy version of the Authority, another group of equally fictional characters -- and by extension, the fans who preferred their comic -- makes it read like the worst kind of fan-fiction, to the point where you'd half expect the next issue to include Superman giving a stern talking-to to the guy who picked on Kelly in the third grade. And to make matters worse, those characters never left. The Elite kept showing up, eventually turning into a covert black-ops arm of the Justice League in a comic that was also created by Kelly and Mahnke. Like Lobo, they actually became the thing they were created to parody.

I hate Superman 4, but I do love the scene when he asks to address the UN General Assembly because that's exactly what should happen.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Heh, I remember after the Matrix they wanted to make a Superman movie just like that, kung fu fights and everything.

Can you imagine if that had happened.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    They've wanted to make all sorts of weird Superman movies, haven't they?

Wasn't there one where he used the S shield thing to fight? It was going to be Star Wars esque vs. Braniac?

This discussion has been closed.