As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'm more dreading the eventual "DKR was way better than Avengers" and vice versa arguments. I mean it is fair to compare the two but they are completely different movies tonally. And yes I can safely assume that without watching either of them.

Could be a repeat of last year (X-Men) and Spider-man will come out of nowhere and be the best.

Yeah I have to say that my opinion of First Class worsens every time I watch it. Captain America is still my favorite of 2011.

I was going to post something similar. First Class is still very enjoyable, but it's a whole lot of style over substance. It feels a little bit campier every time I watch it, and not in a good way. Thor is my no. 1 from last year :-)

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was watching First Class the other day and more and more things bug me about it.

I was a lot more critical about Thor and Cap when they came out, and I'm still critical about hte issues I have with them, but my opinion of them hasn't dropped.

First Class was still great though: especially the Magneto hunting Nazi's part.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think First Class was really helped by super low expectations and some great acting.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    plus that Fassbender touch 8->

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Show us on the doll where Fassbender touched you:

3.jpg

In great detail :winky:

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Whoa, the Numa Numa kid hulked out.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think First Class was really helped by super low expectations and some great acting.

Great acting by the main characters; the actresses who played Mystique and Emma Frost were awful. Bacon seems to impress me less and less with each viewing too.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Bacon looked like he was having a ball though, so that helps.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Eww Captain America was horrible. By my comment I meant First Class was the bestest. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it looked like the characters in Captain America were just pasted into the movie. Thor managed to make another world look more realistic then scene in hallway #1 in Captain America.

All opinions of course and it's not like X-Men was without technical problems. As with all the X films a lot of the mutant powers are sketchy in their execution at best.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Captain America seemed a bit rushed and skimpy, and seemed to rush to get as much fan service included as possible. Frankly, I think a Captain America in the modern world is going to be hard to pull off; I would much rather the sequel return to the World War 2 backdrop.

First Class impressed me by how much the creators seemed to enjoy the source material. Its like Fox said "Fuck it, we're just making this movie to keep it away from Disney", all the while the director was given a heck of a lot of free reign considering Fox's track record.

Though it is too bad that the Marvel properties aren't under one roof. How cool would it be to see an X-Men vs Avengers movie?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    Marvel is having a hard enough time pushing out sequels to all their movies alongside putting out new movies in the properties they DO have. I'd hate to see how overworked they'd get if they had to worry about Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spider-Man movies too.

Marvel is having a hard enough time pushing out sequels to all their movies alongside putting out new movies in the properties they DO have. I'd hate to see how overworked they'd get if they had to worry about Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spider-Man movies too.

Hire more people?
    Spider-Man is a walking moneybag, I'm sure it'd be worth it

We used to think an Avengers movie was impossible
    How much more of a stretch would it be to get Spidey and Wolverine in on it?

Grant me this one wish, Disney

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb

Great acting by the main characters; the actresses who played Mystique and Emma Frost were awful. Bacon seems to impress me less and less with each viewing too.

You take that back about Jennifer Lawrence.

I will fight you.

Turambar wrote: »

Hire more people?
    Spider-Man is a walking moneybag, I'm sure it'd be worth it

We used to think an Avengers movie was impossible
    How much more of a stretch would it be to get Spidey and Wolverine in on it?

Grant me this one wish, Disney

Ain't no way in hell Fox/Sony are letting X-Men/Spider-Man go. Daredevil and Ghost Rider should be easy acquisitions, and Fantastic Four too if the upcoming reboot keeps stalling, but X-Men and Spider-Man seem to still be going strong.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

I will fight you.

Stand down, Centi. You can't win this one.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

I will fight you.

When I think about Mystique, co-dependent angsty teenage doormat is exactly the LAST thing that comes to mind. She was terrible.

January Jones nailed Emma pretty well, even if the script relegated her to henchwoman #1 instead of the actively scheming White Queen we know.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I never saw First Class, but unless she seriously phoned it in Jennifer Lawrence is still the same actress who killed it in Winter's Bone.

Crimsondude on
    Yeah, it may have been the script but in First Class she was abysmal.

huntresssig.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    She's one of the worst parts of mad men too

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    January Jones sucks. I mean Jennifer Lawrence. Winter's Bone is fantastic.

Crimsondude knows what's up.

I am always right.

The only reason I don't have business cards with that written on them is just a matter of piss-poor planning.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    When I think about Mystique, co-dependent angsty teenage doormat is exactly the LAST thing that comes to mind. She was terrible.

Well, at that point she's not really Mystique, anymore than groovy poon-hound Charles, is Professor X.

I will say, I thought her character arc basically made no sense.

Somewhere around the point where she gets mad at Xavier, her surrogate brother of at least a decade or two, for not wanting to look at her when she's naked, and the film framing it as though she's right, I thought to myself, "This is pretty dumb."

Really, I think everyone came out of that movie wishing for more of Fassbender just doing cool Magneto shit, and less of everything else.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Well, at that point she's not really Mystique, anymore than groovy poon-hound Charles, is Professor X.

Somewhere around the point where she gets mad at Xavier, her surrogate brother of at least a decade or two, for not wanting to look at her when she's naked, and the film framing it as though she's right, I thought to myself, "This is pretty dumb."

Really, I think everyone came out of that movie wishing for more of Fassbender just doing cool Magneto shit, and less of everything else.
    Well First Class 2 is focusing on Magneto and has pretty much the whole production team as well as Fassbender returning

so

WISH GRANTED

CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2012
    How do I force a giant penis joke into this conversation?

Oh. Oh man. Saw a link to this amazing review of Avengers on Twitter.
    I got to see a preview of The Iron Man Part III on Friday morning and I had to wait this long to write what I thought about it. Partly because my mom was using the computer to fight with someone who kept posting pictures of lactating Asian chicks on her Etsy page’s comment thread, and also because the first two times I tried writing about Iron Man Part III all I did was type FUCK over and over again. The second time, I bolded it.

It gets better from there.

Crimsondude on
    Munch wrote: »

Pretty much. Fuck Fassbender was good.

huntresssig.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I saw Avengers. It was very good.

I know some of you are being super pious about it, so I will put my SPOILER-FREE mini-review behind spoiler tags. Needless to say, the movie is pretty great, so I'm only going to list my two minor issues.
    My biggest gripe was that the little bits at the very beginning that get you up to speed on what the characters have been doing are really bad/cliched. Particularly so for poor Hawkeye and Black Widow, who haven't at all been established as characters yet but still get the same in medias res introductions and kind of flounder for the first part of the movie because of it.

But those scenes take up maybe 20 minutes at the most, and the rest of the movie is out-and-out fantastic. And it just gets better the longer it goes on.

And if I could levy another tiny complaint, it's that there are quite a few Whedon-y joke dialogue bits, and while some of them are pretty damn funny, a lot of others land with a thud just because they're being pumped out so rapidly.

Hadji, is it true there are 2 after-credits scenes?

If so god dammit tell me the last one I can't find any account of it anywhere.

The mid-credits one I have found and it is awesome.

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Eww Captain America was horrible. By my comment I meant First Class was the bestest. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it looked like the characters in Captain America were just pasted into the movie. Thor managed to make another world look more realistic then scene in hallway #1 in Captain America.

All opinions of course and it's not like X-Men was without technical problems. As with all the X films a lot of the mutant powers are sketchy in their execution at best.

I think your issue with Cap might be completely yours. There was no such issue for me and I've never heard anybody say anything similar.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hadji, is it true there are 2 after-credits scenes?

If so god dammit tell me the last one I can't find any account of it anywhere.

The mid-credits one I have found and it is awesome.

I honestly bolted after the mid-credits scene. There probably was another one. The theater manager specifically told us to stay around after the credits. But I have to be up in 6 hours for work, and we had to spend 3 hours waiting at the theater (which didn't even come close to filling up even though there were 2 or 3 times as many passes in circulation as there were seats), so we were pretty eager to bolt.

If there was another, the only real dangly bits of plot involved the world security council, led by Powers Boothe.

I'll likely be seeing it once or twice more when it comes out next week, and I think it's officially released in the UK on Friday, so we should know soon.

HadjiQuest on
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

why has everyone who has seen the movie left before the credits are over

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

CYpGAPn.png
    HADJI DON'T GIVE ME YOUR VALID EXCUSES

I AM GOING TO BE INDIGNANTLY ANGRY OVER A MOVIE THAT HASN'T EVEN OFFICIALLY COME OUT YET AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

why has everyone who has seen the movie left before the credits are over

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

Because it's a 3 hour movie that I waited in line 3 hours to see, and an hour drive from my house, and I had already been awake for like 15 or 16 hours at that point.

I'm not going to sit through another 20 minutes of credits to see if Powers Boothe and Sam Jackson talk in riddles for 30 seconds.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    It's 3 hours long? Nice.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular

I think your issue with Cap might be completely yours. There was no such issue for me and I've never heard anybody say anything similar.

Fair enough I guess. Everything just looked so terrible in that movie to me. Definitely the worst of the three last year.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    It's only 2 1/2 hours[/pedant] and there was only the mid-credits scene, no post. Note though that there was a rumor spreading out of the premiere about filming one last scene (after the premiere) which I doubt would have been ready at this point. Take that as you will.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Gonna see Avengers tomorrow

I

can't

wait!

I have to wait until Saturday

Woe is me!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »
    It's only 2 1/2 hours[/pedant] and there was only the mid-credits scene, no post. Note though that there was a rumor spreading out of the premiere about filming one last scene (after the premiere) which I doubt would have been ready at this point. Take that as you will.

I'm thinking that rumored last scene is something for the dvd/blu-ray version.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I don't know how I feel yet about how Chinese investors are making Iron Man 3 more China-oriented.

I'm not too happy about the human rights record of China. Plus, if the film is being made for marketing in China, then I feel like the film is going to be very much sanitized with respect to being viewed in China.

Also, if any super hero epitomizes capitalist, democratic-oriented America, I think Iron Man does. Yes, even more than Captain America.

Then again, it would be anti-freedom to say someone can't invest in a film because of their views.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
This discussion has been closed.