As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Oh, something else that momentarily took me out of the movie was Thor's presence
    The rainbow bridge is destroyed at the end of his own movie right? I don't think they explain how he's back on Earth. I guess they'll do that in his own movie, but then that means it'll take place before Avengers?
    It's explained in a one-off line. Loki says something like "The Allfather must have expended an enormous amount of dark energy to send you here with the Bifrost destroyed" or something along those lines.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Young Justice, they made the Rannians look like elves, this is Alanna (don't quite know her age in relation to Adam, they make her seem like she's 18-19ish but he has to be in his late twenties):

youngjusticealanna-1.jpg

Adam Strange has a nice new getup that Keith posted in the costumes thread. I prefer the Ferry hard light armor stuff but it's distinct enough here to work with the other costume changes.

As for Superboy and Miss Martian,
    they're going with the Conner can't age angle, and that's why he initiated the breakup with Megann.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm planning to watch The Avengers on Tuesday (same day as my birthday) and I'm just debating whether to go 3D Imax or just Imax.

Is the 3D good? As long as it isn't shitty I might just go that route.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    The 3D isn't offensive. It doesn't stand out, so you really wouldn't be missing much if you skipped out on it.

Only reason I saw it was because it was paired with Imax.

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »
    hmmm...another quick plot point question:
    when and how did loki get his sceptor back?
    I THINK there was a quick scene where it just showed him grabbing it off of a table after Hawkeye blew up the Hellicarrier and he was making his escape.

Hmm. I do not remember that at all.

Anywho, after seeing Avengers twice, I've gone ahead and purchased
    the Infinity Gauntlet trade :-P It's been years since I've read it, I figured I might as well have own it. I wanted to go out and finally pick up the Annihilation books too, but they're out of stock on amazon :-(

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The 3D isn't offensive. It doesn't stand out, so you really wouldn't be missing much if you skipped out on it.

Only reason I saw it was because it was paired with Imax.

Well as long as it's not a worse experience, I'll probably go 3D. My sister is bringing along her boyfriend who's never seen a 3D movie, so it's probably what we're going for anyway.

Plus, CG and exploding buildings should be a good visual thrill.

Doesn't seem like there are any Imax exclusive scenes though, which is a bummer.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh, something else that momentarily took me out of the movie was Thor's presence
    The rainbow bridge is destroyed at the end of his own movie right? I don't think they explain how he's back on Earth. I guess they'll do that in his own movie, but then that means it'll take place before Avengers?

I'll admit some of my own surprise at this, but it ended up making a lot of sense.
    1) Loki is back.
    2) Loki is back, on earth.
    3) Loki is back, on earth, and also has the Tesseract (cosmic cube).

Odin was mad willing to get Thor over there and get this taken care of. It's a minor wonder no one else came with him, really.

• Options
    I saw it in 3D and didn't even really notice it. I'd say that it's pretty neutral: it doesn't add anything to the movie, but it doesn't hurt it in anyway either. I'll save the $4 and watch it in 2D next time, though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    They may not even be able to use
    Skrulls. They may be tied up with the Fantastic Four license.
    Skrulls are in a shared area for marvel and fox. As are quicksilver and the scarlet witch. Both can use them.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I THINK there was a quick scene where it just showed him grabbing it off of a table after Hawkeye blew up the Hellicarrier and he was making his escape.

the Infinity Gauntlet trade :-P It's been years since I've read it, I figured I might as well have own it. I wanted to go out and finally pick up the Annihilation books too, but they're out of stock on amazon :-(
    All the DNA Marvel Cosmic stuff is slowly going out of print :(

Which reminds me that I need to get War of Kings, Realm of Kings, and Thanos Imperative still.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Woo, Disney XD is reairing the Marvel block at 11PM each Sunday now. I get to watch it right before I go to sleep.

Now, if only CN would reair the DC stuff more often. I missed the shows this week because I was working :(

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Skrulls are in a shared area for marvel and fox. As are quicksilver and the scarlet witch. Both can use them.

This would be news to me and I'm sure a lot of other forumers, as studios don't generally like to share gained properties. Source?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

They explain it.
    Loki comments that Odin must have expended a lot of energy to send Thor to Earth, or something like that. At another point they specifically mention that the bridge is still destroyed.

No it's better then that.
    Loki says he world have had to use powerful dark magic to do it. Which is exactly why thor can't just pop over anytime he likes.

I find it strange the amount of "plot holes" people find that are explained easily within the film. Last two times this happened were Inception and the Dark Knight.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

This would be news to me and I'm sure a lot of other forumers, as studios don't generally like to share gained properties. Source?
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58255
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=59048

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Avengers broke $200 mil, completely shattering the previous $169 mil record held by deathly hallows pt. 2.

Everyone knew it would do well, but that's just crazy!!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Holy shit

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Nearly 650 million dollars overall since it's first release

impressive!

• Options
    I wonder if this is making Warner Bros go "Why do we not have a Justice League movie in production?"

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I wonder if this is making Warner Bros go "Why do we not have a Justice League movie in production?"

Yes, and they'd miss the point about why Marvel succeeded where they didn't. Making a Justice League film in itself does not guarantee an Avengers level blockbuster. They couldn't even get the Iron Man formula right.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Yes, and they'd miss the point about why Marvel succeeded where they didn't. Making a Justice League film in itself does not guarantee an Avengers level blockbuster. They couldn't even get the Iron Man formula right.

Yeah, its really a difference in mind set, I think. Marvel went into their movies thinking "How do we create a blockbuster universe that people will invest in the same way they invest in comics." Warner Brothers simply looked at their DC properties and said "How do we make a blockbuster movie out of these?" WB seems to never take a long term view on these things, which is what holds back a DC Cinematic Universe.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Last summer, I think prior to Green Lantern's release, they said they wanted Justice League out by 2013.

I laughed.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It warms my nerd heart to see so much interest into characters we have loved for so long.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Yeah, its really a difference in mind set, I think. Marvel went into their movies thinking "How do we create a blockbuster universe that people will invest in the same way they invest in comics." Warner Brothers simply looked at their DC properties and said "How do we make a blockbuster movie out of these?" WB seems to never take a long term view on these things, which is what holds back a DC Cinematic Universe.

Another difference is that WB keeps DCE on a short leash. They don't let their best writers and artists be consultants (or allow them to actually change things with their ideas), aside from PR to look good. IIRC Favreau was very open to talking with various comic people before shooting the first scene so he knew where to start from. Whedon wouldn't have needed that much help to begin with since he's not only a Marvel fanboy he's written comics for them before. Nor do they have any interest in giving DCE power to impact the movies, making Johns' a paper tiger.

• Options
    I don't know. On the one hand, I can easily see a large contingent of people at DC squawking nonstop about how they can get their own Avengers-level property out there as a Priority One for the company's movie agenda.

And then on the other hand, I can see The Dark Knight Rises doing tidy work when it comes out, and those same people at DC go, "See? We can make comic movies just fine," and call it a day after locking in Jake Busey to star in the followup to Jonah Hex.

Either way, I feel it's really incumbent on DC to do something, because Marvel is doing a damn good job of running the movie roost in ways no one would've believed they could've pull off just five years ago.

• Options
    DC still has the animation department covered pretty well, because Marvel always stops things from developing into DCAU type properties.

With this weekend, Marvel made so much money they can now lower their comics back down to $3 as a show of good will! :bz

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DC still has the animation department covered pretty well, because Marvel always stops things from developing into DCAU type properties.

With this weekend, Marvel made so much money they can now lower their comics back down to $3 as a show of good will! :bz

Man, why not? The real money is in the movies anyway. There's some serious leveraging they should do with their entire line in terms of the overall business model.

But then again, I strongly suspect there's a large contingent of people at Marvel who are, in fact, still partying their faces off and may not come down from sort of Mad Men-meets-The Who level of horseplay until next weekend.

• Options
    edited May 2012

They explain it.
    Loki comments that Odin must have expended a lot of energy to send Thor to Earth, or something like that. At another point they specifically mention that the bridge is still destroyed.

No it's better then that.
    Loki says he world have had to use powerful dark magic to do it. Which is exactly why thor can't just pop over anytime he likes.

I find it strange the amount of "plot holes" people find that are explained easily within the film. Last two times this happened were Inception and the Dark Knight.
    Does he say Dark Magic or Dark Energy? Because Dark Energy is just hypothetical energy that exists everywhere in the Universe and is what is causing it to expand (or at least that's what learned from playing Mass Effect too much :D ), and could be a good explanation for where Asgardian powers come from. If he did say dark magic, that would be cooler and a better explanation - and probably open some interesting plot threads for Thor 2.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I get the feeling DC's animation grip is slipping though. A fair share of their most recent animated films have just been poorly executed.

Meanwhile, Marvel Animation gets a feather in their cap for Avengers: EMH.

And what's up with DC's failure to cash in on setting up multiple outlets for episodes of YJ or GL:TAS? If I want to watch any of the Disney XD or Hub shows like Avengers or Transformers: Prime, I have at least 3 outlets other than TV to catch 'em. Netflix has 'em streaming, Youtube has em up, and they have at least one or two episodes up on their own websites.

But I can't find the DC shows anywhere. No netflix, no hulu, can't even find GL:TAS on youtube.

Maybe I'm being overly-critical, but I see that as a failure on their part to propertly market their shows.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Word is that the Sunday estimates for Avengers were on the low side. Deadline.com is saying that rival studios have informed that that Avengers' weekend take was closer to $207 million rather than the estimated $200 million.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Arryn wrote: »

Which is ending after this season to be replaced by a Loeb Avengers movie-verse show.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Word is that the Sunday estimates for Avengers were on the low side. Deadline.com is saying that rival studios have informed that that Avengers' weekend take was closer to $207 million rather than the estimated $200 million.

MSN is saying 220 million.

• Options
    MrRavenMrRaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does he say Dark Magic or Dark Energy? Because Dark Energy is just hypothetical energy that exists everywhere in the Universe and is what is causing it to expand (or at least that's what learned from playing Mass Effect too much :D ), and could be a good explanation for where Asgardian powers come from. If he did say dark magic, that would be cooler and a better explanation - and probably open some interesting plot threads for Thor 2.
    Loki says "dark energy".

I saw the movie yesterday and I was giggling like such a little schoolboy that my wife was giving me odd looks :D

I really lost it when...
    Thor saved Widow and went toe-to-toe with Hulk. I remember wondering to myself if they'd keep his power levels like in the comics where he has fought the Hulk and lived to talk about it.

I must find time to see this again soon.

MrRaven on
  • Options
    My favorite moment of Avengers:
    Hulk going all Tasmanian devil on Loki and smashing him into the floor repeatedly. That definitely got the biggest laugh and most cheers at the showing I was at.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hulk going all Tasmanian devil on Loki and smashing him into the floor repeatedly. That definitely got the biggest laugh and most cheers at the showing I was at.
    in case you missed it because your theatre was cracking up that entire scene, as hulk walks away he says "DEMI-god" in response to loki's boast of being a god. I almost missed it because my theatre was still laughing.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

All the DNA Marvel Cosmic stuff is slowly going out of print :(

Which reminds me that I need to get War of Kings, Realm of Kings, and Thanos Imperative still.

I still need
    realm and nova vol 4-6. those are easily the most expensive parts of the DnA cosmic lineup. Annihilation isn't too bad if you snoop on ebay/amazon for a little bit. I've seen a lot of ebay lots for big chunks of the cosmic books.

• Options
    MrRavenMrRaven Registered User regular
    in case you missed it because your theatre was cracking up that entire scene, as hulk walks away he says "DEMI-god" in response to loki's boast of being a god. I almost missed it because my theatre was still laughing.
    Actually I think it was "Puny god".

• Options
    MrRaven wrote: »

that's possible too... and amuses me either way. It was really hard to hear.

• Options
    Yeah, I didn't hear that at all. Makes it even better.

• Options
    Arryn wrote: »

Which is ending after this season to be replaced by a Loeb Avengers movie-verse show.

That's what I was getting at. Marvel has good shows, but they just squash them a season or two into their run ever since X-Men Evolution (and it's 4th season only had 9 episodes).

• Options
    ZombieJeffZombieJeff Registered User regular
    MrRaven wrote: »
    It was definitely "Puny god". I was able to hear it perfectly in a brief lull in the cheers and applause, and then the theater erupted into more laughter.

Many of the moments were like that, where the follow-on lines were just as great as the lines or scenes that got the big laughs.

This discussion has been closed.