As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Credit Card Limit + / Escaping China

An-DAn-D EnthusiastAshevilleRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have this credit card from BB&T. I'm trying to get out of China and the agency that was suppose to pay for my flight home (they took care of tickets, visas, teaching contract etc) was "surprised" by the sudden increase in airfare this summer and now I have to pay the difference from the 'usual cost.' Its $450, which I have in fake Chinese currency but not in any form that I could get it to him. Like a credit card.

There is a 500 dollar limit on my credit card (I've had it for a year or two) and it currently has a small, healthy amount of use on it, which I pay with slightly-more-than-minimum payments every month. Building credit like I see them do in the movies.

I should have pretty awesome credit. I missed one payment while I was traveling the countryside in China and was without internet and I probably missed one or two when I first got the card and I wasn't quite sure how or when to pay. I always made up for it, and I should have a pretty good record now.

Is it possible to get a credit card limit increase either over the internet or the phone? Hopefully one that takes less than 24 hours? How does it work exactly?

I need to get out of this crazy country and breath in that sweet, sweet freedom-rich American air again. Help me, H/A! You're my only hope!

An-D on

• Options
    clam2000clam2000 SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It can't hurt to call up customer service and ask - if you get lucky they'll be able to approve you for additional credit over the phone.

What other options do you have to pay? If they accept bank transfers, and can initiate one of those from China - it's relatively painless to set up an account at a BOC or CCB.

Edit: If I were in this situation, I would contact a friend/relative in the US who can front the money, and then repay them. It's going to be way less stressful if you have a week to figure this stuff out rather than 24 hours.

clam2000 on
    cdogwal.gif
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No one I know would have that kind of money, and I decided when I graduated college that I would put a bullet in my head before I ever asked my parents for anything.

Banks in China make me nervous. I've heard these horror stories from ex-pats here of banks screwing them over, not letting them make transfers to the USA or even not letting them withdraw all their money. If I can't figure out something by tomorrow morning (EST, when I can call my bank), I'll get a Chinese friend to help me set up an account but...really, the idea makes me super nervous. I have a lot of Chinese money and I don't want to lose it all because of the bureaucracy.

Can anyone think of a way to get to Washington DC from China that wouldn't cost a thousand dollars? Walking up to Russia, waiting for winter than walking across the ice to Alaska? Getting a job as a deep sea fisherman and earning my passage across? Faking my own death, hiding a thing of oxygen on my person and being flown across in a coffin?

An-D on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm no expert on these matters, but are you able to get any help via a US Embassy? I'd imagine this kind of situation is within their jurisdiction.

Raern on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm confused, you have tons of Chinese money but need USD to pay your ticket correct? Don't they have an exchange in the airport that'll take your Chinese -> USD?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unless you're in your 30's or something I don't see the problem with asking your parents for a little help.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would have thought the agency who is surprising you with this extra cost that isn't really your responsibilty to begin with, would have let you pay them the difference once you got state side and not demand in before. I mean honestly if they didn't want to be surprised by the cost of tickets maybe they should have set a firm date for your return and purchased the ticket at early as possible, otherwise they're playing the stock market with the money they need to get you back.

Did you have a contract with this agency? This whole, "dump the cost on the client" thing kind of pisses me off.

Anyway, I'd call the US Embassy and ask if they can recommend a solution for you, or even help out directly.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't want to contact the embassy because I have a way out. I just have to pay. Its not an emergency, I'm just super frustrated. This doesn't seem part of their jurisdiction.

My contract says:

That I "will enjoy return-way free airplane ticket between Beijing, China and [whereever I want to go] (direct flight) or the equivalent cash according to the market price for the end of June when one-year contract terminates."

To me, that says: "I get to go home as soon as I want." The dude at this agency is all: "Surprising summer rise in airline prices! Oh no!" They're saying the end of June prices are the highest they'll pay for a ticket. I'm leaving early July (a week after "late June") and prices do go up about 300 dollars.

Super annoying.

An-D on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is that week you're delaying into July the cause of the price increase? Otherwise it seems they are failing to live up to their contract.

If they are Chinese these kinds of disputes are exactly the kind of thing that Embassy's help citizens with. If they're American...well you can sue them but that doesn't help you get back.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Its an American agency that did all the contract stuff.

I'm delaying into July because I stop teaching in mid-June and I want to travel with one my friends that is coming over. Originally, I didn't want to leave until the end of July but the agency told me of the price rise and recommended leaving early July (5-8th) and I was all: "Okay, sounds good. Give me the 7th."

This was probably over the course of 2-3 days. Today I got the email about price increases this early in July.

An-D on
  • Options
    CreidhesCreidhes Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like they're playing by the rules of contract you signed. You get a plane ticket at the end of your contract for free. Your insistence on staying weeks beyond the contract termination caused the increase in airfare for them. That cost should be paid by you.

Unless the contract explictly says you're allowed to delay your departure?

Creidhes on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just wanted to make sure this cost increase should actually be borne by An-D. They didn't ever imply they had an issue paying this increase.

Are you still owed anything else from this company? Is it possible for them to take this payment from any money that will be owed to you for services provided?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    At the orientation, they made it sound like a really great idea to travel once the contract was up. Which is why I planned on it. But...surprise airfare increase.

I've read the contract like...three dozen times, and it seems like this whole thing should be free no matter what. That 'or' in there makes it a completely different option if I chose to stay and teach in China. I could take the money.

This is dumb.

Also, the agency doesn't owe me anything.

An-D on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it possible to pay off the rest of your credit card in the next couple of days?

The other option is to take the cash option and just play a wait and see case with the airports and buy your ticket when you chose.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd try to contest their change of heart. Ain't nothing surprising about high air fare. It's been that way for years.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yea, depending on your cost of living in China is there a way to make it through to where the cash payment would cover the cost of your flight?

I think bing.com does some neat price tracking stuff that might give you an idea.

Though this idea is dangerous if you don't really plan it out right.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you take the cash you could maybe do stand-by for a ticket? Do those exist anymore in security-theater airport land?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    You said you had a bunch of cash/money in yuan or whatever, and it's enough to cover the difference - then can't you just send it to them using Western Union? That way you avoid having to deal with chinese banks.

tynic on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When you say fake Chinese curacy...fake as in not USD or fake as in counterfeit?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You don't know anyone in the US of A that has 450$ they can front you for a few days? The economy must be worse than I thought.

You should swallow your pride and ask your parents to put forward the bucks, then pay them back immediately when you get back. That hardly even counts as a favor.

I'm sure his "fake" chinese currency is real. You literal geese.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, its real fake Chinese money.

Western Union is a good idea. I'm pretty sure there is one close to me.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm being screwed over by this agency.

An-D on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Contract says end of June, you wanted to stay longer to sight see so you're paying the increased ticket price.

Doesn't seem like you're being screwed to me

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An-D wrote: »
    I can't shake the feeling that I'm being screwed over by this agency.

Well, based on the snippet of contract you posted, they're keeping up their end of it. Have you actually checked airfare from the end of June vs a few weeks later? Are the prices actually $450 different? Is there a cheaper flight option that you could take so you don't have to pay that much in difference, or have they already purchased the ticket?

Daenris on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would do things in the following order:

1. Yell at the agency and try to get them to pay you the money. Alternatively find a US city that costs more to go to, ask for the cash equivalent, use it to buy a ticket to where you want to go. Alternatively to that, ask for the cash equivalent to begin with, and add your cash to it to get your ticket. You can buy plane tickets in cash.

2. Do the western union thing, it's pretty cheap (around $5 i think) and I'm pretty sure a lot of Chinese banks have agreements to use Western Union to cheaply send money.

3. Ask your CC company for a limit increase, if they say no, ask them if they accept wire payments. If yes, go to a Chinese bank and ask them if you can wire money to said account.

I wouldn't be too worried about using Chinese banks, especially the big ones. Repeatedly calling Chinese money 'fake' annoys me, but I guess that isn't really for this thread.

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I originally emailed the agency on the 6th of May, saying I wanted to leave on the 19th.

They come back (a week later) telling me about the increased airfare and its much better if I leave in between July 5-8th.

A day later, I say: "Wow, that's crazy. I thought it would be free. Can you send me to one of these bigger airports maybe its cheaper.

They're all: "Nope. We just checked."

One day later: "Okay, give me the 7th."

One day later: "Too late. You need to send us 450 dollars."

I'm wiring them money this afternoon, than probably punching a concrete wall until my fist bleeds. The end of June part of the airfare price doesn't seem to matter when I read the contract. That is only if I want the cash equivalent (Ie: I'm staying in China). It says: "Free airplane ticket OR cash equivalent for the end of June." Not: "Airplane ticket equal to the price at the end of June or the cash equivalent." That is what bothers me.

I'm paying the money, and losing this much is literally going to fuck me over as soon as I get home. I'm going to have so much less cushion to fall back on. I'm better off staying in this awful country and just working another year.

An-D on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have you tried talking to someone at the American embassy/consulate?

It sounds like you're getting dicked around.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    If they're saying airfare is too expensive in July, and your contract stipulates that they'll cover airfare up through June rates, why not fly out in June instead of extending your stay?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you sure this is an American agency? Sounds like pretty typical Chinese shenanigans to me. You might want to do some of your own research for prices. Here are some sites that work well from China:

http://www.travelzen.com/
    www.ctrip.com

They will find you cheaper flights from China than any US based travel search, and both sites have Yingwen options. There was another one I knew as well, I'll post it if I remember it.

As for banks in China, if it makes you feel any better, I used Chinese banks for 2 years with no problems.

finral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I transfered the money.

An-D on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You should still speak with the US Embassy.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

There is a 500 dollar limit on my credit card (I've had it for a year or two) and it currently has a small, healthy amount of use on it, which I pay with slightly-more-than-minimum payments every month. Building credit like I see them do in the movies.

I should have pretty awesome credit. I missed one payment while I was traveling the countryside in China and was without internet and I probably missed one or two when I first got the card and I wasn't quite sure how or when to pay. I always made up for it, and I should have a pretty good record now.

This isn't related to getting you home, but is worth saying. Paying only a little more than the minimum payment is NOT a good way to build credit and it's even worse for your bank account. The interest rate you are paying (and the minimum is pretty much just the interest) is outrageous. You'll end up paying them back an extra 50-100% of what you spent. You should treat a credit card like cash- don't spend more than you have in your mank account, and pay it off at the end of every month. Doing otherwise can get you into a lot of debt.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The minimum payments on most of my credit cards are 35-40% of the entire debt. I typically pay 50%. I don't use it that often.

I don't know what I would tell the US Embassy. "I'm an American and I'm having a contract conflict with an American agency." Its not an international issue. Its not even an emergency. They'll probably just tell me to lawyer up. For 450 dollars its not worth it.

I'm applying to mining jobs in Tennessee and Alaska now. I'll make the money back in a week.

I'm going to dismantle my blog probably so they can't use it as propaganda to trick more would-be teachers.

An-D on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't want to derail the thread, but what happened with that Antarctica thing you posted about a while back?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    After exchanging emails for a few days, they said that my application was being processed and whatnot and they would message me again if I got the job. I haven't heard back in like a week, so I'm assuming I applied too late for the summer session (or it takes longer than I thought to accept me).

Going to go ahead and send in an application for the winter (6 months of darkness! :D!).

An-D on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The minimum payments on most of my credit cards are 35-40% of the entire debt. I typically pay 50%. I don't use it that often.

I don't know what I would tell the US Embassy. "I'm an American and I'm having a contract conflict with an American agency." Its not an international issue. Its not even an emergency. They'll probably just tell me to lawyer up. For 450 dollars its not worth it.

I'm applying to mining jobs in Tennessee and Alaska now. I'll make the money back in a week.

I'm going to dismantle my blog probably so they can't use it as propaganda to trick more would-be teachers.
    Companies like this usually have contacts and get referrals through people working at embassies/consulates. You should definitely at least send them an e-mail, see if there's anything you can do, anywhere you can file a complaint or anything.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm reading this as: I want to take some vacation time with a visiting friend and its going to cost me an unexpected 450 dollars in extra airfare.

So...tell them you want to leave in May as per the contract and if they cannot supply a ticket, then they must provide the cash equivalent of that ticket as if purchased as of May 31, 2011. Failure to do so will result in a breach of contract which will be escalated through the company and if need be litigated in American/Chinese court.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That agency sound completely shady.

Have they provided any proof of that increase in the price?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, I sent him the money and stuff on the 20th. Receipts of the transfer. The only response I've gotten so far is a short, snippy response answering why I'm basically paying $100 more.

No other communication about whether or not he got the ticket. If he keeps holding up like this, the ticket price is going to go up again and its going to cost me. He says (a week ago) they get their airline tickets through some other special agency that lets them do 'group fares' or something. Is this a common scam?

edit: I sent a 'Hey, guys, I might have a problem' email to the US Embassy in Beijing. Didn't mention any names yet, but I want to see if this is something they have any influence over. I should hear back from them tomorrow.

An-D on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd hate to see your blog disappear!

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't know if that is sarcasm or not, but I moved all the posts to another address (in my signature).

If it is sarcasm, I write the most interesting, most positive reviews of teaching in China and I have no doubt they plan on using it for propaganda. Taking away the blog from the old address is the only power I have.

An-D on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not sarcasm! I've read back through every post.

However, you have other power - all that stuff is copyright: you. Assuming it's an American company (is it? I don't recall), you can DMCA them into submission at little expense to yourself.

spool32 on