As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Shame it doesn't have much of any features. I might have bit on a digital edition otherwise. Could've added a ton of stuff just from V:TM resources if they wanted(and/or if WW allowed it).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Rumor has it that WW & Paradox are planning something, the trademark got revived:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/vampire-bloodlines-trademarked-by-white-wolf-publishing.108654/

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Don't you dare play with my emotions here, Paradox.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    "Vampire Bloodlines" is generic enough that it doesn't have to refer to the game.

Still... can't quite squelch that little flicker of hope.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Didn't Obsidian tweet a joke about a Vampire sequel (when they were actually making Tyranny)?

puls6635cnkb.png

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Didn't Obsidian tweet a joke about a Vampire sequel (when they were actually making Tyranny)?

puls6635cnkb.png

It probably wasn't a joke so much as the company letting Paradox see there was interest.

It was either Obsidian or inXile (or both) that started discussions for a distribution deal with GoG for one of their kickstarted games via silly tweets back and forth with them so there's precedent for silly things kicking things off.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

puls6635cnkb.png

It probably wasn't a joke so much as the company letting Paradox see there was interest.

It was either Obsidian or inXile (or both) that started discussions for a distribution deal with GoG for one of their kickstarted games via silly tweets back and forth with them so there's precedent for silly things kicking things off.

Well they have a direct relationship atm (With the Pillars franchise and Tyranny), so I do think they would go another route except for show.

It was Obsidian though, yes.

As for VTM:B we still have to learn why Boyarsky decided to switch to Obsidian. (Tyranny's wrapping up and I doubt its for either Tanks or even PoE2) Bloodlines 2 has a decent amount of chance to be that project. Maybe.

C2B on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

puls6635cnkb.png

Well they have a direct relationship atm (With the Pillars franchise and Tyranny), so I do think they would go another route except for show.

It was Obsidian though, yes.

As for VTM:B we still have to learn why Boyarsky decided to switch to Obsidian. (Tyranny's wrapping up and I doubt its for either Tanks or even PoE2) Bloodlines 2 has a decent amount of chance to be that project. Maybe.

awesome!
    maybe

• Options
    The GOG version is $9.99:
    https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines

Currently the third best seller! (Counting Witcher 3 and its expansions as one thing.)

9490fa66def4a3237d813a73204b38e9e707199ba7d44db5bc592dea7e788d4d_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg
    (That's as good a promo image as any.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I can't believe it's still selling.

It's old, buggy, unfinished. It's a glorious mess, but it's still a mess. You'd think anyone who wanted a copy of such a game would've had one by now.

Oh well. Just more incentive for Paradox to actually do something with White Wolf, hopefully.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I'm not worried that Paradox might not do anything with White Wolf - they clearly want to. I just am not entirely sold yet on if they have very good ideas about what to do or not. The VP who was in charge of the acquisition comes off in interviews as the Vampire version of a grognard.

• Options
    There's people posting about having heard the buzz but not yet played it all the time. As much as we know about it, it's still a pretty cult game.

Buggy as it is, there's more love put into it than some completely 'finished' games.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bearing in mind that 18 year olds today were 6 when the game came out, I'm not massively surprised that there are constantly new people picking it up.

Burnage on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd be interested to know what the total sales were. It seems like it probably had a pretty long tale, I wouldn't be surprised to here it did pretty well over its lifespan.

It's actually a misconception that it did badly on release. It turned a profit! It just needed to turn a great profit, because Troika had such a bad reputation for shipping good product at that point. They went bust because no publisher would buy a project from them.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Plus with mods it's not that buggy. And at the time I don't think I realized it was 'unfinished'. Well worth picking up.

• Options
    Wish they'd at least let them do one expansion for the independent clans or even the Sabbat. The tone of the fan patches never seemed that accurate to me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Plus with mods it's not that buggy. And at the time I don't think I realized it was 'unfinished'. Well worth picking up.

Well, I meant 'unfinished' as in, the further one gets, the less interesting the quests get. Most of the endgame consists of dungeon crawls and bossfights that don't have the variety of the early game.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wish they'd at least let them do one expansion for the independent clans or even the Sabbat. The tone of the fan patches never seemed that accurate to me.

Yeah, I did the Final Nights mod and really... it was just the original clans with their powers mixed and matched plus 4 new quests that were pretty much fetch quest or kill this random dude for reasons. What I wouldn't give to have the Skyrim/Fallout modders to get a hold of this game and go nuts with it.

• Options
    The problem with the game now is that it's honestly too janky for most new players. I tried to show it to my roommate and was immediately "damn, why would anyone play this". Like even the locomotion is bad, the player glides and slides all over the place. I love this game, but to a new player it's no bueno.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The problem with the game now is that it's honestly too janky for most new players. I tried to show it to my roommate and was immediately "damn, why would anyone play this". Like even the locomotion is bad, the player glides and slides all over the place. I love this game, but to a new player it's no bueno.

Honestly, that's why I stopped playing it. Unfortunately, it just hasn't aged well.

• Options
    Like I can play through it no problem, I don't even notice that stuff any more. Seeing it through someone else's eyes though? Like seriously dudes, get the walking around right.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's probably like Outpost 2. Through the lens of nostalgia it's not a bad game (albeit moderately irritating due to all the missing quality of life things RTSs have figured out). But for somebody weened on more modern fare? Yeah, good luck...

• Options
    I grew up playing really old PCs games so it doesn't bother me so much. Hell, I still have Doom on a CD that I play once in a while.

But my little brother didn't give it more than a few minutes before he said it was old...

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I can't believe it's still selling.

It's old, buggy, unfinished. It's a glorious mess, but it's still a mess. You'd think anyone who wanted a copy of such a game would've had one by now.

Oh well. Just more incentive for Paradox to actually do something with White Wolf, hopefully.

There will always be new generations who have heard people rave about the game. With the recent revival of interest in old-school RPGs and The Witcher showing that the audience has not just a tolerance but an appetite for a fully fledged RPG with deep dialogue and lengthy quests, it makes sense that this will get a few days of exposure on top of the Steam charts.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    It's probably like Outpost 2. Through the lens of nostalgia it's not a bad game (albeit moderately irritating due to all the missing quality of life things RTSs have figured out). But for somebody weened on more modern fare? Yeah, good luck...

It's an artifact of an era when RPGs were expected to have crap combat and inferior mechanics to other genres. You can actually thank Bioware - especially Mass Effect - for moving the industry past that little hangup.

Underneath the jankiness, though, is one of the best written computer games out there. It's one of a very few where I can remember pretty all the characters, setpieces, and quests without any trouble.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Every post in this thread is taking me one step closer to playing this again. The main thing holding me back is that I've already played i twice, once as a Malkavian, and I'm not sure there would be that much more to see from a third playthrough.

Vic on
  • Options

Some new players at other forums I visit seem to be enjoying it. Just depends on their tolerance for jank, I suppose.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I played through first time as a Malkavian, not much left after that. Nosferatu probably would offer the biggest difference in gameplay (and of course this variation is insanely admirable in design terms), but I don't wanna play as an ugly vampire.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    VtM-B is still today what it always was: a very good proof-of-concept. It doesn't look great, the budget on it wasn't great, it was released the same year as GTA San Andreas which didn't help. But it proved that VtM could be made into a viable sandbox RPG provided someone knew how to balance it.

Personally, as much as this is kinda frowned upon nowadays, I'd love to see a Kickstarter for a new game. You have the proof of concept, but what they NEED is proof that people want to play it... more than the millions that redownload it every 4 years. The game needs to be developed by a group that understands Whitewolf, which hopefully Paradox down, but it also needs to have a publisher that keeps a hands-off approach to the game itself. That is MUCH easier to get publishers to agree to if the new game is mostly crowd-funded already.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

It's an artifact of an era when RPGs were expected to have crap combat and inferior mechanics to other genres. You can actually thank Bioware - especially Mass Effect - for moving the industry past that little hangup.

I think it was late on that to be honest. A lot of the gameplay mechanics were outdated even at release. I remember one of my first thoughts in the game being "whoa, this moves weird".

In the absence of a new game in the series, I would love a modern remake of this that tidies up the mechanics. I mean, most of the hubs could now stream completely without loading times, how cool would that be?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm wistful for a modern remake/reboot/sequel that took some of the movement mechanics and powers from Dishonoured or the new Deus Exes coupled with a more in depth conversation system or something. There's so much potential for something amazing in there.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    If something new happens, it'll probably be a CRPG like Pillars of Eternity or Shadowrun, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Every post in this thread is taking me one step closer to playing this again. The main thing holding me back is that I've already played i twice, once as a Malkavian, and I'm not sure there would be that much more to see from a third playthrough.

I'm starting to feel the urge to fire up a new game again as well and I'm in the middle of several other games I'd really like to finish. And I've already completed Vampire with each Clan at least once, twice as a Toreador, about four times as a Tremere and I-lost-count-how-many-times as a Gangrel.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I wanted, when I first played this game, more games like it. And I never really got them, at least not entirely - elements showed up in Human Revolution, New Vegas, etc, but never the whole package.

And there are so many other TTRPG properties that would make for fine gaming, too. VtM, VtR, Eclipse Phase, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

• Options
    I wanted, when I first played this game, more games like it. And I never really got them, at least not entirely - elements showed up in Human Revolution, New Vegas, etc, but never the whole package.

And there are so many other TTRPG properties that would make for fine gaming, too. VtM, VtR, Eclipse Phase, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

I'm really hoping and praying Cyberpunk 2077 is good. Like, I would sell my first born for it to be good.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I played through first time as a Malkavian, not much left after that. Nosferatu probably would offer the biggest difference in gameplay (and of course this variation is insanely admirable in design terms), but I don't wanna play as an ugly vampire.

It's a very different experience. If you really delve into the roleplay a bit, you can have a substantially different experience. I've done 4 or 5 full playthroughs, and several times got to the halfwayish point with different characters. Nosferatu was the most unique and rewarding.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Malkavian was my first playthrough and is what made me fall in love with the game. It wasn't really a letdown or anything going to the less weird clans like Toreador or Tremere for other playthroughs, it was just different.

It probably won't happen because of how much effort it would take but an HD Remaster of the game would be amazing.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    cj iwakura wrote: »

If they were going to add something new and official to this game I would like for it to be a third act

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

On top of that, a lot of games have come out in the last decade that cover similar ground. We used to only have this plus the original Deus Ex for a first person, immersive, RPG action hybrid. Now we have other options in many different flavors. Want good atmosphere and characters? New Vegas has you covered. Liked sneaking around with supernatural powers and stabbing people? Dishonored. The bits that that reminded you of Deus Ex one? There's a good Deus Ex sequel now. Didn't mind the jank and can handle it for character interactions and choice of approach? Alpha Protocol will let you side with the terrorists if you really want to or threaten and insult people in every conversation.

None of them have really captured the feeling of being a supernatural predator of men the way Vampire has, but that's admittedly kind of a niche design goal.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
This discussion has been closed.