Options

Taste buds and alcohol question.

245678

Posts

  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    tequila is probably the only liquor i will willingly drink

    everything else i shy away from because i don't like the taste and also it often leads to me taking a train to puke city

    population: me

    This post brought to you from Bizarro Earth.

    well i'll narrow it to silver tequila

    i've never had any yellow tequila and i never will

    also i guess i can drink some vodka things but it depends on what it's mixed with

    crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    It's the same concept as drinking black coffee. At first it tastes horribly bitter, but you just have to drink a few cups to train your palate to enjoy more complex flavors than something packed with sugar. Beers especially can have really complex, great flavors, they just aren't completely sweet. It just doesn't make sense that everyone who drinks beer/alcohol is doing so by forcing their gag reflex down every time. After a little while, your taste buds get used to it, and it really tastes great.

    I hate coffee, crammed with sugar and cream or not. Coffee just has such a terrible flavor to me. Don't even like the smell.

    I don't think it's forcing yourself to like it, so much as giving your palate time to get used to it. This is advice for first time drinkers, not someone who's hated alcohol for years even after giving it a chance.

    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    You're not forcing yourself to like it, you're acquiring a taste for it. What's silly about broadening your horizons?

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    Start adding splenda to all your drinks

    "You know, if you put enough sugar in this stuff, it tastes just like Ginger Ale!" - Fozzie Bear, on champagne

    Peccavi on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    You're not forcing yourself to like it, you're acquiring a taste for it. What's silly about broadening your horizons?

    GET AWAY FROM MEEEE

    ...

    What have I done?
    cheetoFingers.jpg

    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ITT people are horrible with alcohol

    Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    You're not forcing yourself to like it, you're acquiring a taste for it. What's silly about broadening your horizons?

    Apologies for being dense, but I don't see what the difference is.

    And I've got nothing against broadening horizons. I totally dig trying new things. But if I don't like it, why would I go back and eat/drink it again?

    It's one thing if your tastes change over time. For example, I didn't use to like sauerkraut at all when I was younger. Then years later, I decided to give it a try, since it had been a long time. I kinda like it now.

    That's totally different than continuing to eat/drink something you don't like in order to "acquire" a taste for it.

    I mean, there have got to be some foods or beverages of which you don't like the taste, right? Do you keep consuming them until you like them, or do you just not consume them?

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, drink thread

    I'm about to go to the grocery store to pick up the supplies to make smoked ice tonight!

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    You're not forcing yourself to like it, you're acquiring a taste for it. What's silly about broadening your horizons?

    Apologies for being dense, but I don't see what the difference is.

    And I've got nothing against broadening horizons. I totally dig trying new things. But if I don't like it, why would I go back and eat/drink it again?

    It's one thing if your tastes change over time. For example, I didn't use to like sauerkraut at all when I was younger. Then years later, I decided to give it a try, since it had been a long time. I kinda like it now.

    That's totally different than continuing to eat/drink something you don't like in order to "acquire" a taste for it.

    I mean, there have got to be some foods or beverages of which you don't like the taste, right? Do you keep consuming them until you like them, or do you just not consume them?

    No one's saying "drink beer every day until you like it". Tastes do change so try stuff out every now and then to see if you like it

    I never liked fish until like two years ago. Couldn't stand the smell or taste, but my friend made some for dinner and I ended up loving it now.

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

    Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

    You're not forcing yourself to like it, you're acquiring a taste for it. What's silly about broadening your horizons?

    Apologies for being dense, but I don't see what the difference is.

    And I've got nothing against broadening horizons. I totally dig trying new things. But if I don't like it, why would I go back and eat/drink it again?

    It's one thing if your tastes change over time. For example, I didn't use to like sauerkraut at all when I was younger. Then years later, I decided to give it a try, since it had been a long time. I kinda like it now.

    That's totally different than continuing to eat/drink something you don't like in order to "acquire" a taste for it.

    I mean, there have got to be some foods or beverages of which you don't like the taste, right? Do you keep consuming them until you like them, or do you just not consume them?

    Think of it like videogames. There are some games that are very complex and nuanced. The first time you jump in and get your ass handed to you. It's overwhelming, unfamiliar, and therefore unpleasant, but there's clearly something interesting happening out of reach. You play a few more times, slowly acquiring the ability to process what the game is throwing at you and appreciate it. And, if you still don't like it at that point, you move on; it's not for you.

    Exact same thing with the boozes.

    BoomShake on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    No one's saying "drink beer every day until you like it".

    This is how the theory of "acquired taste" has always been presented to me.

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Or like when people tell you that The Office is hilarious and you say "but the first season sucked"

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And there's a secondary problem of wild generalizations. People say things like "I hate beer". The category of beer ranges from the weakest pisswater to full-bodied caramel malt to things that are almost unrecognizable by the standard. It takes a lot of trial to either find the style and brewery you might like. The perception of flavor will also be affected by context, including weather/temperature, any accompanying food, time of day, tone of gathering, etc.

    BoomShake on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't like coffee at all.

    Then I started pouring regular coffee over ice (more watered down than properly made iced coffee) with cream & sugar, and I actually kind of liked it.

    Then I didn't need quite as much cream & sugar

    Then I could have iced espresso drinks with just some sugar

    Then I found I didn't even need sugar some days.

    Then I found I didn't need it iced.

    Now I can appreciate the taste of black coffee or even espresso.

    I didn't "force myself to like coffee" at any of those stages, but I acquired a taste for it.

    wonderpug on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i love some me some black coffee

    it ain't even got to be a good brand or something, I just love bitter tastes of all sorts

    SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    No one's saying "drink beer every day until you like it".

    This is how the theory of "acquired taste" has always been presented to me.

    Are you sure you weren't just assuming. It sounds like you were assuming.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    No one's saying "drink beer every day until you like it".

    This is how the theory of "acquired taste" has always been presented to me.

    Are you sure you weren't just assuming. It sounds like you were assuming.

    Nope.

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Know what happens when you assume, Geek?

    U make your ass end on me.

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I've got a Rogue hazelnut at home I do believe I will crack open tonight

    haven't had that in a while, but I really like that beer

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i drink my coffee black and i drink a wide variety of alcohol

    what's this i think my chest hair grew like three more inches

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    actually went to the shiner brewery the other day and it was like nirvana

    but between the taproom and the grocery store i get to try out a variety of beers that are fucking outstanding. i use the taproom to taste test beers, and if i like it, i can go get it at the grocery store.

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Geek doesn't understand the whole concept of acquiring a taste for something because that's not the kind of person he is. And that's fine. But it also means that it's pointless to try and explain it to him when he's just not going to be able to relate to it. We've been through this discussion before. He just can't relate to the idea of acquiring a taste for something that didn't taste good at first. That's ok. But I would ask that he stop trying to get people to justify or explain something just because he doesn't understand it because we keep treading over the same ground every time it comes up. I've seen him have this discussion at least several times here on the forum alone. He's not going to get it, you're not going to prove anything to him. So just leave it be. Some people are perfectly happy not trying something they didn't like more than once and that's just fine.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Taste Buds and Alcohol" would make a great title for an R&B album.

    FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like you just haven't acquired a taste for explaining acquired tastes to Geek.

    wonderpug on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh beer is so expensive here. 7 bucks for a sixer of cheapish 4% ABV stuff. 8 bucks (at the cheapest) at the state liquor store for anything more than 4%. Truly this is hell.

    Homeless on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    druhim is actually correct on this matter

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Homeless wrote: »
    Ugh beer is so expensive here. 7 bucks for a sixer of cheapish 4% ABV stuff. 8 bucks (at the cheapest) at the state liquor store for anything more than 4%. Truly this is hell.

    that reaaaally isn't "so expensive"

    Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    I don't like the taste either. It comes across to me as burny and bitter.

    And I'm not a fan of bitter flavors. I'm very sensitive to bitter.

    Have you tried putting it between two Eggo waffles?

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm curious if this is just a taste thing or If I've got something odd about me.

    I can't stand most alcohol. No matter what type, it always comes off to me too sour a flavor and makes my stomach upset. I've tried it mixed heavily with very sweet juices, and Its like when i drink it, my mouth processes the sweetness of the juice, but the sour is still so intense that It makes me shudder. Wine, liquore, whiskey, rum, vodka, champagne, beer, wine cooler, ale...all are just so nasty to me I can barely choke it down. I dont have a problem with really sour candies or such, its just alcohol that produces this reaction.

    The only drink that ive had that the sour taste does not cause literally a gag reflex, was Saki, which was drinkable, if not a really enjoyable experience . Is this because its made with rice? Is this a common thing and people are just choking down booze to get drunk?

    Yup!

    Also, I don't see gin on your list. If you have refined tastes and are a fancy lad like me, that's the alcohol for you.

    godmode on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm curious if this is just a taste thing or If I've got something odd about me.

    I can't stand most alcohol. No matter what type, it always comes off to me too sour a flavor and makes my stomach upset. I've tried it mixed heavily with very sweet juices, and Its like when i drink it, my mouth processes the sweetness of the juice, but the sour is still so intense that It makes me shudder. Wine, liquore, whiskey, rum, vodka, champagne, beer, wine cooler, ale...all are just so nasty to me I can barely choke it down. I dont have a problem with really sour candies or such, its just alcohol that produces this reaction.

    The only drink that ive had that the sour taste does not cause literally a gag reflex, was Saki, which was drinkable, if not a really enjoyable experience . Is this because its made with rice? Is this a common thing and people are just choking down booze to get drunk?

    Yup!

    Also, I don't see gin on your list. If you have refined tastes and are a fancy lad like me, that's the alcohol for you.

    As a generalization, no. This is bullshit. Some people do, but I certainly don't just choke down alcohol to get drunk. When I have something to drink, it's because I enjoy the experience of drinking it. Not just to get plastered.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I need to stop drinking beer at restaurants. Fucking charging me the price of a six-pack for one bottle of beer.

    Peccavi on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    thursdays - free pint with burger & fries

    so free pint at $7.50

    then spend $4.50 for 23 ounces of whatever beer after that.

    never walk out spending less than twenty :(

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To clarify (Im the op, i went to lunch thinking id only get a few responses).

    I'm 37 years old. There is no danger at this point in my life of 'forcing' myself to like alcohol, I'm asking purely out of curiosity and a slow work day.

    I've tried the various things because people tell me 'oh try this its a very sweet drink' and I try it, not because i want to get drunk but simply because if im going to pay six bucks for a drink at a bar, perhaphs something different then coke would make my wallet stop screaming.

    Anyway, I fully agree its not something anyone NEEDS to survive, and I think ive given alcohol enough tries over the years to say im never going to get use to it.

    I dont like the coffee analogy. I dont like black coffee, and typically either need a flavored coffee or heavy cream and sugar to drink it, but that makes it taste different.

    With booze + fruit juice or something really sweet its like i have two different things in my mouth and i distinctly taste both, they just dont mix, and even if the proportions really offsided (all i need is an eyedropper full of vodka in a glass of orange juice and I can tell.) So I asked mostly as a curiosity.

    azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm curious if this is just a taste thing or If I've got something odd about me.

    I can't stand most alcohol. No matter what type, it always comes off to me too sour a flavor and makes my stomach upset. I've tried it mixed heavily with very sweet juices, and Its like when i drink it, my mouth processes the sweetness of the juice, but the sour is still so intense that It makes me shudder. Wine, liquore, whiskey, rum, vodka, champagne, beer, wine cooler, ale...all are just so nasty to me I can barely choke it down. I dont have a problem with really sour candies or such, its just alcohol that produces this reaction.

    The only drink that ive had that the sour taste does not cause literally a gag reflex, was Saki, which was drinkable, if not a really enjoyable experience . Is this because its made with rice? Is this a common thing and people are just choking down booze to get drunk?

    Yup!

    Also, I don't see gin on your list. If you have refined tastes and are a fancy lad like me, that's the alcohol for you.

    As a generalization, no. This is bullshit. Some people do, but I certainly don't just choke down alcohol to get drunk. When I have something to drink, it's because I enjoy the experience of drinking it. Not just to get plastered.

    I know. I was just kidding.

    It is how I started drinking, though. And now I drink gin for the flavor.

    godmode on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    in my opinion it's totally cool to not like alcohol or coffee or whatever as long as you're not a jerk about it to others

    but I gotta admit, in general, I am not super impressed with people that seem to only like really sweet drinks

    I don't know where that comes from

    Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Homeless wrote: »
    Ugh beer is so expensive here. 7 bucks for a sixer of cheapish 4% ABV stuff. 8 bucks (at the cheapest) at the state liquor store for anything more than 4%. Truly this is hell.

    that reaaaally isn't "so expensive"

    You've got it worse then, big guy?

    Homeless on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    at the little grocery store closest to me, shiner bock is 14.47 a 12 pack

    at the big grocery store, it is closer to 12 a 12 pack

    but they're the same damn company

    so i just go the distance for the cheaper beer

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think it's close to 8 bucks for a 6 pack at the grocery stores here. and it's slightly watered down.

    Oh hey, I should have typed 12 bucks for a sixer at the liquor store in my above post. Most of the time it's closer to 15 or 20 for anything decent though.

    Homeless on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    I dont like the coffee analogy. I dont like black coffee, and typically either need a flavored coffee or heavy cream and sugar to drink it, but that makes it taste different.

    With booze + fruit juice or something really sweet its like i have two different things in my mouth and i distinctly taste both, they just dont mix, and even if the proportions really offsided (all i need is an eyedropper full of vodka in a glass of orange juice and I can tell.) So I asked mostly as a curiosity.

    The coffee analogy fits pretty well, though. You seem to have a particular sensitivity to the taste of alcohol, but for most people the addition of juice or soda or whatever really does mask the alcohol taste. Most "girly drinks" or whatever, like a lemon drop or a cosmo or an appletini, are popular because you can hardly taste the alcohol in them at all.

    For most other people, an eyedropper amount of vodka in a glass of orange juice tastes mostly like orange juice. Rum and coke tastes like flavored coke. Wine coolers taste like lightly carbonated juice drinks.

    wonderpug on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    god black coffee is so good.

    Langly on
Sign In or Register to comment.