Options

Taste buds and alcohol question.

1234568»

• Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I know a few people who got into drinking beer by starting off with New Castle.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I discovered a new pub in town and they fucking serve Westvleteren 12. Holy shit. I didn't know that sort of thing happened.

I must get this.

Westvleteren_bottle.jpg

BRB moving to Marcus' house.

Also Hoegaarden was the first beer I liked. It's a pretty good starter beer. Kind of citrusy, and not really bitter.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    My first beer was a Genessee Cream Ale.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also ales are great and lagers are almost universally terrible.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    These right here...these are some of the best beers.

weihenstephaner.jpg

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Snork wrote: »
    You know what is delicious? Framboise. Don't drink it on a full moon, though, you'll sprout a vagina.

I'm assuming you mean Lindeman's Framboise Lambic? Yeah, that shit is righteous. By far the best purple drank i've ever come across
    I don't always drink girly fruit beers, but when I do I drink eight or nine Lindeman's Framboise.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also ales are great and lagers are almost universally terrible.

I was going to argue this point, because I was under the impression that witbiers and hefeweizens were lagers.

Apparently they're ales, though, so I guess I concur.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what is delicious? Framboise. Don't drink it on a full moon, though, you'll sprout a vagina.

I'm assuming you mean Lindeman's Framboise Lambic? Yeah, that shit is righteous. By far the best purple drank i've ever come across
    I don't always drink girly fruit beers, but when I do I drink eight or nine Lindeman's Framboise.

I'm reading this in the voice of Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mission accomplished.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been drinking a lot of Unibroue lately. It's quickly becoming one of my favourite Canadian breweries. I tend to have a case or two stocked at all times. Everything they make is very Trappist in style, but there's something unique about them I can't place.

1unibroue.jpg

La Fin Du Monde and Don De Dieu are especially great.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    drinking this tonight. pretty great.

BNYWk.jpg

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BYToady wrote: »

I'm reading this in the voice of Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World.

Thank you, Ted.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've had most luck getting non-beer-people into beer with either witbiers or sweeter brown ales

I would definitely suggest starting on a wheat beer or something similar. You get the taste of beer to get used to without it being over powering. Witbier is the Belgian version of wheat beer, which is usually citrusy, and German Weissbier is more simply brewed, usually only using water, wheat, hops, barley and yeast which gives it a cleaner flavour.

Alternately, your clean lagers like Corona or Sol or even Heineken are pretty one dimentional and easy to drink, but a lot of people lose interest in them after their palate develops.

If you don't like either of those, Pilsners are a different flavour which can be pleasing to some early drinkers, the first beer I ever really enjoyed was a Pilsner. Becks is ok and easy to get.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kriek_Beer_1.jpg
    Cherry beer is so good.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've been getting into whiskey lately.

This Johnnie Walker fella knows a thing or two about a thing or two, I tell you what.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God dammit I love a good porter.

At one time there was a brewery called Lunar, and they made the best porter I have ever had.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lately I've been drinking Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. It is relatively cheap and tastes like a wonderful soda pop.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously, a porter would be the worst idea to give to someone who needs to acquire a taste for beer. I've been drinking beer for 15 years now and some porters are still a bit much for me.

EDIT: I do get the joke, seeing as how it is a mocha porter.

On the other hand that's how my taste for beer developed. Could never stand lagers (though I've warmed to some, though usually just with a curry) and tended to prefer cider but then found I didn't mind the darker ales and porters. There's something to be said for starting with the beers that have a strong flavour that you wouldn't usually associate with commercial beers.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    looks grim as fuck

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Berk wrote: »

I am more disgusted by this than zoophilia.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a bottle of pretty good Gin in the next room and it is very tempting to have a few drinks. I had a pretty shitty day. Anybody know a good Gimlet recipe that doesn't use concentrated or sweetened lime juice? I have lots of limes but none of that stuff. If not, a good Gin and Tonic is always good anyway.

Only beers I've really enjoyed have been quite strong ones. There is something to be said for jumping in the deep end, I think. Had some Czech beer at a New Years party and it was soooooo goooood. Gotta find more of it.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SwissLion wrote: »
    I have a bottle of pretty good Gin in the next room and it is very tempting to have a few drinks. I had a pretty shitty day. Anybody know a good Gimlet recipe that doesn't use concentrated or sweetened lime juice? I have lots of limes but none of that stuff. If not, a good Gin and Tonic is always good anyway.

Only beers I've really enjoyed have been quite strong ones. There is something to be said for jumping in the deep end, I think. Had some Czech beer at a New Years party and it was soooooo goooood. Gotta find more of it.

Add ice to a highball glass
    Pour gin to halfway
    Spritz with lime juice
    Fill with tonic water

Voila!

I add the lime after the gin so that the pouring of the tonic water will mix it up a little without having to stir it after.

Fellows, my dad sent me some schnapps last time he was in Germany, and I have no clue what to do with it. The flavors included in this thing (It's actually a wearable belt, with 24 mini bottles attached) are apple, sour apple, wild cherry, plum, and wild berry.
    Any ideas?

godmode on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Are you suggesting I waste alcohol? You should be ashamed of yourself.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    then drink them

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wear it like a bandoleer and pretend to be chewie

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's more like I was asking if anyone knows of delicious drinks that include schnapps.

But these ideas are interesting, I guess...

godmode on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Seriously, a porter would be the worst idea to give to someone who needs to acquire a taste for beer. I've been drinking beer for 15 years now and some porters are still a bit much for me.

On the other hand that's how my taste for beer developed. Could never stand lagers (though I've warmed to some, though usually just with a curry) and tended to prefer cider but then found I didn't mind the darker ales and porters. There's something to be said for starting with the beers that have a strong flavour that you wouldn't usually associate with commercial beers.

Unless, like most people new to beer, they just say "fuck it, this is way too strong."

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    don't drink them

this is the correct response for schnapps

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Unless, like most people new to beer, they just say "fuck it, this is way too strong."

Although Hoegaarden was the beginning of my beer journey, I quickly progressed to various dark ales.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's cool. I'm just saying that your personal experience doesn't invalidate the reality that most people just getting into beer don't like the darker, heavier beers and find them overwhelming.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Berk wrote: »

Yes. Yes I have. It actually wasn't nearly as bad as I first imagined it would be, though it was pretty bad and I was already very drunk. Never seen it since though, which is probably for the best

Quirk on