As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.

My only needs are a nice mic, not rechargeable (I'd prefer they run off a wire, but them the sound Is wired as well. Maybe battery operated?), able to use on both a ps4 and pc, and around $100 to 200 bucks, max 300.

I have the Sony Gold Headset but I'm kinda under whelmed with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&srs=2530385011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455046813&sr=1-3

These are pretty damn good and the mic is excellent. You'd need a PS4 adapter.

They are an open headphone, if you want closed:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ZERO-Gaming-Headphone/dp/B00KNPYAEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&srs=2530385011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455046975&sr=1-1

I got these. They are pretty nice.

Still have the same issue with the Golds, they give me a headache after prolonged use.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think you'll need to find a real lightweight set of cans. You'll suffer some loss of quality in sound but it beats headaches. It's why call center headphones are usually ultra light weight.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    So I have a great home theater surround setup for the living room, and I had just been using my Audio Technica M50's through the headphone port there for sleepy-time listening and gaming. I've now got a second computer in a desk setup in my room though, and all the DAC/Amp/Pre-amp stuff is kind of flying over my head. I don't really have that much free space in my PC for a dedicated soundcard, and though my onboard was supposed to be better than most it buzzes like mad in games. My motherboard is a Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 and has some DAC-UP port but I think that'd just be for powering a DAC and not the cable that would send audio?

I know enough about speakers that I thought could choose those but maybe not? My headphones are still doing just fine at the very least, I know that much. Without turning my desk into a nest of cables, what do I need to be looking at?

I'm trying to stay on a lower-midrange budget and keep the setup fairly simple for this first foray into this stuff. I want to have my computer at my desk with a 2 speaker setup with a spot somewhere in that chain that I can also easily pop my headphones into. I was looking at the AudioEngine A2+ line because they had a built-in DAC port but with no headphone jack that seems like it would leave me plugging those into the computer and swapping to that sound, right? And in a DAC setup will I also need an amp or pre-amp for my headphones then? Would it be feasible if I find speakers with a headphone port to pull from there or is the better chain still to split from a DAC?

I prefer a studio-monitor sound to all my audio if that at all affects any equipment suggestions. I've tried researching this stuff myself the past couple days and have just gone around in confused circles - this PC audio stuff is just all so far outside my wheelhouse.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    JC of DI wrote: »
    So I have a great home theater surround setup for the living room, and I had just been using my Audio Technica M50's through the headphone port there for sleepy-time listening and gaming. I've now got a second computer in a desk setup in my room though, and all the DAC/Amp/Pre-amp stuff is kind of flying over my head. I don't really have that much free space in my PC for a dedicated soundcard, and though my onboard was supposed to be better than most it buzzes like mad in games. My motherboard is a Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 and has some DAC-UP port but I think that'd just be for powering a DAC and not the cable that would send audio?

I know enough about speakers that I thought could choose those but maybe not? My headphones are still doing just fine at the very least, I know that much. Without turning my desk into a nest of cables, what do I need to be looking at?

I'm trying to stay on a lower-midrange budget and keep the setup fairly simple for this first foray into this stuff. I want to have my computer at my desk with a 2 speaker setup with a spot somewhere in that chain that I can also easily pop my headphones into. I was looking at the AudioEngine A2+ line because they had a built-in DAC port but with no headphone jack that seems like it would leave me plugging those into the computer and swapping to that sound, right? And in a DAC setup will I also need an amp or pre-amp for my headphones then? Would it be feasible if I find speakers with a headphone port to pull from there or is the better chain still to split from a DAC?

I prefer a studio-monitor sound to all my audio if that at all affects any equipment suggestions. I've tried researching this stuff myself the past couple days and have just gone around in confused circles - this PC audio stuff is just all so far outside my wheelhouse.

if you haven't looked, i would recommend a Magni 2 and Modi 2 from Schiit audio. the "schiit stack" as it's called is reasonably priced, uses very little desk space and sounds awesome. you can stick to headphones, or if you buy a magni 2 uber, you can also run audio rca out the back to monitors. the way the magni 2 uber works is that it uses the RCA outs until you plug in a headphone, so you don't have to do a lot of cable swapping to switch outputs.

you won't get fancy sound processing, but it's the cleanest setup i've every used, and i don't really need 5.1 surround on my computer.

another option is if you can find the old klipsch promedia 2.0 setup. it's not necessarily "audiophile" quality, but i used mine for years and was very happy. you can always have headphones for "detail" listening.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I have the world's dumbest audio question. Maybe someone here knows.

When hooking up speakers where there is a right and left port, is it my right or the stereo's right?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Cabezone on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.

My only needs are a nice mic, not rechargeable (I'd prefer they run off a wire, but them the sound Is wired as well. Maybe battery operated?), able to use on both a ps4 and pc, and around $100 to 200 bucks, max 300.

I have the Sony Gold Headset but I'm kinda under whelmed with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&srs=2530385011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455046813&sr=1-3

These are pretty damn good and the mic is excellent. You'd need a PS4 adapter.

They are an open headphone, if you want closed:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ZERO-Gaming-Headphone/dp/B00KNPYAEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&srs=2530385011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455046975&sr=1-1

I got these. They are pretty nice.

Still have the same issue with the Golds, they give me a headache after prolonged use.

Get yourself an Antlion Modmic and then pick whichever headphones are the most comfortable and give the best sound.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Is there a consensus on a good value set of speakers for a desktop computer? I like my headphones, but I sometimes want to watch a video with someone or listen to music away from my desk.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    The sound blaster Gigaworks T20 set is pretty good.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I'm in need of a new pair of earphones.

I've had a pair of H3 B&O for about a year and a half, and recently the right earphone started being a tad quieter than the left - just enough to be annoying.
    This is a problem that's been plaguing me forever. No matter if the earphones are cheap or expensive premium shit, one earphone eventually gets quieter than the other.

So I'm guessing I should just get myself a Bluetooth set, to lower the incidence of wire pulling.
    Any recommendations? Ideally I'd spend around $50, but I'm willing to go up to $100 if I can keep the same set of earphones for several years. I'd also like it to have a microphone.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Looking for the cheapest way on Amazon prime to turn the TV optical or audio out into a headphone jack! If it'll make some kind of huge difference I'm willing got go up to like $20 to do this! But really happy with just getting a headphone jack (and a cable with the solution maybe). Unfortunately I've never even used the optical port or an amp on anything before and there seems to be a million options to do this. If someone could point me at something that's not total crap or just narrow my crap options down it be handy, thanks! Edit: The TV is DTS and it seems that matters for some converters/possibly all! And that seems to be more expensive, of course...

Maybe I'll up my budget a little/more than a little and get some speakers with an amp or whatever...this IS a rabbit hole...focus me, cheapest just for a headphone jack...and maybe...

Something like: This headphone amp and a cable with an adapter possibly would work, yeah? Or could I just plug the headphones straight into 'audio out', need to look into that. This would be simpler if the damn TV would turn up.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Looking for the cheapest way on Amazon prime to turn the TV optical or audio out into a headphone jack! If it'll make some kind of huge difference I'm willing got go up to like $20 to do this! But really happy with just getting a headphone jack (and a cable with the solution maybe). Unfortunately I've never even used the optical port or an amp on anything before and there seems to be a million options to do this. If someone could point me at something that's not total crap or just narrow my crap options down it be handy, thanks! Edit: The TV is DTS and it seems that matters for some converters/possibly all! And that seems to be more expensive, of course...

Maybe I'll up my budget a little/more than a little and get some speakers with an amp or whatever...this IS a rabbit hole...focus me, cheapest just for a headphone jack...and maybe...

Something like: This headphone amp and a cable with an adapter possibly would work, yeah? Or could I just plug the headphones straight into 'audio out', need to look into that. This would be simpler if the damn TV would turn up.

Looks like your TV has a 3.5mm audio out - can't you just plug headphones into that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Read a review that said it didn't have one, the stupid thing is supposed to get here tomorrow despite not having shipped yet, so you're probably right- I'm just being dumb probably.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The manual on the site you posted shows a 3.5mm connector.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just because I'm dumb with audio it seems: Talking about the "audio out (mini jack)" right? That combined with the review I saw that said it didn't have a headphone jack made me think there was something with that jack that made it more complicated than it probably is.

And yeah, I saw that adapter, but the 360 will be using those ports. And der, yeah, good point- they're in. I am horrible at this. Stupid TV.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Was just about to edit my post. I am wrong. Wasn't thinking Those are audio in, not audio out, so it wouldn't work.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The audio output mini jack is a 3.5mm connector so it will be fine for your headphones.

• Options
    Well wtf! Got the TV and despite what the manual on the site says there's no minijack I can find! So back to using the optical out!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is this worthwhile, if I only plan to use it on desktop? Will there be too much noise from the motherboard jacks (the ones in the back)?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00MFMW29I

• Options
    I can't answer that, but if there IS noise you may want to get something like this.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask or if it'd be better in a separate thread (or another existing one)...

My 5.1 setup's center speaker has been acting up lately; I've noticed that every now and then dialogues playing on the center channel would become extremely muffled, while the rest of the sound would still play okay. Usually this would only be for a short time and then the sound would come back, but tonight it was pretty bad and kept cutting out - not completely, but to something like 20% of the full sound range/volume. It seems to be clearly the center speaker that's the issue here, although weirdly I've only been able to pinpoint this without a doubt with material played via my TV settop box, so I'm not sure if the stuff we watch on TV channels simply tend to use the center speaker more, whereas the Blu-rays I have or the games I play on the PS4 have much less audio that plays more or less exclusively on that channel.

In any case, I've checked the cables, but they seem to be fine; the input as such also seems to be okay, since I can set the receiver to play everything in stereo, and then all the sound (including dialogue) plays clearly, just from the front left and right speakers.

Any ideas what this might be? Does it sound like the center speaker itself is on the fritz? And, if so, can one usually repair speakers, or does it make more sense to get a new one?

(For the record, I've got a Sony 5.1 receiver, and the speakers are all Magnat ones. The centre speaker was probably around US$250 and is around eight years old by now.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Attach a different speaker to the channel and if it sounds right, then it's the speaker. If it doesn't, double check the cable and then suspect the receiver.

• Options
    Thanks, good suggestion. The annoying thing is that it seems somewhat random when it occurs, and the rest of the channels make it difficult for me to gauge exactly when it's happening and what is happening. Is there any way I can just test the centre channel/speaker? (I've also got a computer hooked up to the receiver, in case there are programs that help with this sort of thing.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'm 100% sure there's a software or two that allows you to do this, but I have no idea what that would be. Maybe try freeware DJ software?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Will look into it. Thanks!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I entered a sweepstakes to win a SRH1540 from headroom.

I am crossing my fingers to win, It'd be a helluva upgrade from my HD518s which are finally falling apart.

I'd have to get a DAC for them if I win though, my old Fiio Fujiyama wouldn't cut it as well I think.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Does anybody have any recommendations for a portable speaker system I could dock/bluetooth pair my Galaxy with in the car? Gonna be goin on a road trip in a month or two and I desperately need something to fill the Western Kansas/Eastern Colorado radio wasteland. My car is old and does not itself have BT or even an aux in audio jack, and my phone speakers won't cut it over road noise.
    It does however have an actual wall style power plug in addition to the cigarette lighter style.
    Not looking for anything fancy/expensive.

Alternatively, are those FM transmitter kits any good these days? The last time I ever witnessed one being used was like, 10 years ago, and it was a bit flaky.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I used one of these in my old car for years and it worked perfectly http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PPGOC0

There's also a mini version, but I have no personal experience with it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FV8P24

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Thanks, just looking at the spec it looks like it addresses the main gripe I had with the one I saw way back then, which was that it only had maybe 5 specific frequencies you could choose from.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A different forum recommended the same one, (complete with a link to a wirecutter review) so I'll probably grab it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anyone here have a recommendation for a pair of small speakers (unpowered).

I've got a little extra cash from working some overtime and I've been looking at getting a small tube amp and a set of small speakers for my computer. I was looking at this dude for the amp, but I've had trouble find a pair of speakers that weren't extremely large.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Most of the discussion here is on hardware, but I have a question about the software side. What do you all use to organize and serve your music? iTunes is sucking more and more, and I have tried MusicBee but have found it a little lacking. I'm also wondering what I can use to serve music from my PC to a phone or something that I can plug into a stereo downstairs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Moliplayer (ios link; they have an android one, but I haven't tried that) will find windows shares on your LAN and you can then browse folders; you're pretty committed to using folders as the organisation scheme, mind you, but from there just share the top-level folder and off you go.

• Options
    I've upload all my music files to my favorite cloud platform, then use Beat to access it from my phone.

Beat is not great, but it works

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Hi all, I'm trying to find some PC/Speaker help. I have a PC hooked up to my main living room TV via HDMI to my receiver. I recently got a new receiver because of my new 4k TV (my old receiver didn't support 4K and was having all kinds of issues) and upgraded from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup. Because of shape of my living room, I couldn't do side speakers for the 7.1, but the new receiver supported front-high, so I set that up as my 7.1 setup.

Unfortunately, it seems Windows doesn't recognize a front-high setup natively. The way Windows outputs 7.1, its sending side audio which is then routed to my rear speakers by my receiver, since its not getting a front-high signal. So, does anyone happen to know of a way to force Windows to recognize a front-high setup?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I use Subsonic and DSUB (on the Android store) all the time to listen to my library away from home. At home I use foobar2000, you can make it into pretty much whatever you want it to be. I'll add some screenshots later. Here's some screenshots:

DSUB:
    hH74XLTl.png

foobar2000:
    RlFFnc6.png

symbolsor on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    What's a good gaming headset review website?

I need a 7.1 sealed over ear gaming headset for my PvP FPS games, as my speaker system isn't cutting it anymore - there's too much background noise in my house, drowning out the sound of enemy footsteps - so I'm finally breaking down to get a 7.1 headset.

Any recommendations on 7.1 headsets or sites that review 7.1 headsets?

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Don't buy 7.1 headsets. They're, for all sense and purpose, trash.

Buy a high quality stereo headset and use a modmic.

• Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    Yep, buy a good stereo headphone and use software 3d like Dolby Headphone for surround sound.