Options

Glad_Hatter is running out of space to store all these Oil paintings

The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly FoxUnderneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Artist's Corner

The_Glad_Hatter on

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I approve of your efforts so far. Your avatar is also quite classy. Looking forward to more o dis thread.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the Braid guys-- the head creature is instantly recognizable but fits with your style really well!

I think you have a really great cartooning style in general. It seems like your linework is more "hard" in your drawings from life; I do that a lot too and I am not quite sure how to fix it, but I thought I'd at least acknowledge it.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks guys.

Tapeslinger, you're absolutely spot on in my linework being hard. In fact, i just got back from a life drawing sessions and was instantly confronted with my biggest weaknesses: lines to hard and darks too light..

I hadn't drawn from life in a big scale for over 2 years, and even though i've been studying a lot (vilppu) in the meanwhile, i felt like i was lost on the page, and used little or no method.
    2 crappy ones, 20 mins each:
    model1.jpg
    model2.jpg

one okay one 40 mins
    model3.jpg

Comments and crits very welcome since i could use some inspiration for next week's session. I just could barely apply what i had studied to what i was seeing.
    I hope to finish my photoshop portrait tomorrow too.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So i've been working on this portrait on-and-off this week.
    I got some great help by ChicoBlue and Radar6590 in the doodle thread, so now she's graduating to my own thread. (linking those paintovers so i check them before i start another piece).
    I'm at a point where i'm starting to lose direction and just start zooming in and doodling. Do you reckon i should consider it finished and move on?

Edit: After some more edits i'm considering this one finished since i can probably learn more from doing a new drawing than from eternally making minor edits to this one. I'm gonna try and get my speed up a bit. Bigger Brushes!

PORTRAITFINISHED.jpg

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Back from another life drawing session. Felt more comfortable with charcoal + longer poses = more fun. Also, Acrylics. I found it was very difficult to move up from the watered down acrylics (for sketching) to an actual descent coat of paint.
    Longest pose was 60 minutes.

model21.jpg
    model24.jpg

Gallery of shame spoilered:
    model22.jpg
    She had short legs, but in no way like on the above drawing.
    model23.jpg

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Another week, another drawing session.
    1 hr.
    model31sml.jpg
    i'd appreciate some crits on this one since it's been AGES since i tried the whole white & black thingy. I'm quite happy with the drawing, but i feel like i messed up the white parts in places. I probably should've been gentler in applying my whites. Any tips?
    And same pose, 1 hr,
    model32sml.jpg
    I think i messed up her balance here a bit?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finished my final class of the 4 modelling classes. I like to say my works kept on getting a bit better each time.
    15 Minutes
    model41.jpg
    One hour
    model42.jpg
    Hour 'n a half
    model43.jpg

Now it's back to studying from books untill i can find a new class nearby...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can already see some progress!

Flay on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, looking better.

What's with the vertical lines going down those last couple pieces? It's kinda distracting to me and looks like you're drawing on the wrong side of the paper or something.

You still need work on your proportions but that really just comes with doing as much life drawing as you possibly can.

Keep up the hard work!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the comments.
    Deelock, the lines are from the paper, Ingres paper they call it here. I like it for smaller drawings, but i guess the effect can get weird at larger scale, and i probably shouldn't use it for painting again either.
    i've decided to enroll myself in the 25-week-long drawing class starting this september. That would mean drawing from life weekly!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sittin' outside, and suddenly i remembered deelock's advice. AS MUCH AS I POSSIBLE CAN.
    concertje1.jpg
    concertje2.jpg
    Everyone was looking at a fanfare performing. I think the man with the glasses suspected i was drawing him (which always feels super-embarassing for me...)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "outside, sketching on location! (NSFW)"

SO WORRISOME

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    "outside, sketching on location! (NSFW)"

SO WORRISOME

:D
    Wha? i'm just sitting outside, holding my pencil!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I just posted this in the doodle thread, but i'm not sure if that's the best place for crits, so here it is again.
    Help me AC kenobi, you're my only hope!
    modelbig.jpg
    edit: spoilered for being slightly outdated and very tall. Also, now in smaller jpeg size.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Super quick drawover (don't have time to do anything more in depth right at the moment, unfortunately)- the first thing that sticks out if the face, and the fact that you're concentrating so hard on trying to get all the facey bits in there- eyes, nose, lips, side of head, that you're ignoring the actual value shapes that are there in the reference. For example, you've carved out a a very deliberate side of the head on the left side, but if you look at the ref, you can see that the value of the side of the head blends right into the value of the hair, so you can't even see it. Same goes for the left side of the upper lip, blends right into the face. The eye in the shadow is almost totally invisible.

What I'd suggest is making a habit of squinting at the reference, so your vision is reduced down to where you can only see these broad shapes of value. In my drawover, that's exactly how I approached it- reducing the face down to just 3 values defined by deliberate shapes, and then softening the transitions with a soft brush. Keeping things simple but accurate at first is a lot better than overcomplicating it unnecessarily.

gladhat.jpg

This also goes for the rest of the body/anything else you ever draw obviously, I'm just concentrating on the face as it's

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Her head could drop down just a little bit and be moved over to the right.

Keep a close eye on the negative shapes you are making between her legs and her arms. Getting them right will help you nail the proportions, pose and how the drapery is falling.

negative.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. I lasso'd some stuff and moved it around, minding the negative space. I can hardly understand how much my first effort seemed to be falling over.
    I'm currently only using Mcgibs' square brush from his tuturoal, but i'm really struggling with getting it smooth.
    I think i'll be giving this one one final pass tomorrow and then on to the next one. I'm really gonna try and focus moreon the 3-step colouring you mentioned Bacon. I started out that way, but once i got round to doing the face.. I went all tiny-brush and crazy. I have a feeling i'm spending far too much time on one of these.
    modelbig2.jpg
    (spoilered for being WIP, finished version below)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Scosglen saves the day once again: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/19876038#Comment_19876038
    I measured out some stuff with the ruler and i think i can call this one finished for studying porposes.
    I tried to follow Bacon's advice and finish it off with a new layer focussing mainly on very dark/ big brush and very light/big brush.
    modelbig3.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I had some time on my hand while i was installing Lion (upside down scrolling, wtf!).
    So i assembled some cubes (difficult!), fished a bottle out of the trash, painted it white, and set up a still-life.
    Oils are fun, relaxing, and bloody tricky. (i already worked out that you can't rest your hand on the canvas like, ever).

stilleven.jpg

My sudden increase in production is due to my holiday, already halfway finished. I'm trying to cram as much learning as i can into these two weeks.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    And another stillife. I had a lot of fun doing these, but i think i'm gonna put the oil paints aside until i get some time to read up on the subject a little bit. I've learned a lot from doing these, but i'm afraid i'll just end up dicking around too much if i don't get some external input.
    stilleven2.jpg

• Options
    It felt really good to get back to some children's illustration, although it was surprisingly hard at times.
    Did I go overboard on the football-shapedness of the head? i'd love some design feedback, since classical publishers have been telling me that some of my older illustrations (see blog) were a bit too dynamic.
    zwemmertje.jpg

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Your kid's illustrations look really sweet, Hatter! As for the swimmer in particular, my first impression was that it looks a little busy, but small changes (like reducing the ruffles on the arm floaties make a big difference in that regard. Although it depends on your goal for the piece, considering kids tend to have a lot of junk all over them after all. The brown belt around her and the strange shape of her left hand look odd as well. You may want to consider your whole visual goal for the piece, and make sure any details you add will only enhance it. I like the colors.
    Have you seen this video with Pascal Campion? His style is also extremely sweet, and I think if you are interested in using illustrations to tell stories, them you should really really watch this video: http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/pascal-campion.html
    The man is so sincere; it's touching.

• Options
    thanks for the feedback. i hadn't given the ruffles a second thought, but perhaps you've got a point. I included a lot of details that were strong in my memory: the ruffles, that humiliating cork belt.. I was too satisfied with my initial sketch to do major changes.
    Likewise for the hand. It seemed logical at the time (as if she had just dropped the floatee), but it does kinda break with the staticness of her pose.

and THANK YOU very much for linking that video! Not only is talk interesting and inspiring, but i also feel like his art offers some stuff that i was just thinking my own work misses. TSpot-on with that recommendation.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    So i was forced to stop visiting these forums for a while while i got an extra job (art teaching, whoo!), bought a house (own workspace whoo!) and fixed said house up.
    No more.

I HAVE been keeping busy art-wise however. I've been studying Micheal Hampton's Figure drawing book (halfway through it..) and taking some new model drawing classes. I feel like my drawing's improved greatly, and i'd love to get an old-school AC smackdown telling me wrong ;) Seriously though, my drawing sessions aren't very technical, so i'd love some tips.
    15 minutes:
    Potlood3.jpg
    1 hour:
    Potlood1.jpg
    1 hour:
    Houtskool1.jpg
    15 minutes: (this model was a dancer. Heaps of fun to draw!)
    danseres1.jpg
    1 hour:
    danseres2.jpg
    1 hour:
    danseres3.jpg

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So i tried my hand at my fourth ever oil painting. I've had been doing monochrome before, so here's a stab at Zorn.
    Zorn cheat sheet i made:
    zornpalet.jpg
    And here's the original painting:
    zorn_org.jpg

I didn't really put a huge effort into the pencil work and started straight with the paints. The whole suffers under faulty drawing work (she looks like she's 10 years older and had two babies in the meanwhile :S), but i'm quite pleased with the colors. It did come out paler than i thought it would've.
    Correcting the colors in photoshop was immensely hard. Also, watching this thing dry is like a thriller. My highlights are going a bit blotchy. Should've planned and observed more instead of fixing it near the end of the session.
    zorn1.jpg

Entire thing took about 2/3 hours. I'd love some tips since i'm really enjoying this oil stuff (so sooooothing!) but could use some pointers starting off. I started with Zorn since that's what the watts video showed, or should i use an even more reduced palette?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Cripes I thought the original was yours for a moment, I was thinking "Fucking hell GH has gotten insanely good"

I've never worked in paint before so I can't give you much advise. Structurally it feels flawed, not badly mind you, but where the head scarf wraps around the forehead highlights some problems. The line is almost angular rather than flowing.

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    We usually progress pretty minimally at Watts: Burnt Umber Pickout into Burnt Umber & White. Then maybe some Burdick Palette (Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine and White I believe). Then some Zorn Palette, then more of a full Warm/Cool Palette followed by whatever the hell you want to put on your palette. But this is just an ideal guide for progression. Each step adds a little bit of complication into the mix so you don't have to worry about too much at one time.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the overview Cake. I'm trying to improve my painting gradually, and it's a real help for me to have some idea of progression in the palettes.
    When you say Burnt Umber Pickup, do you mean Like this? So you just wipe off the paint where you want highlights? That actually sounds harder than just applying white paints, but i'll try it out now.

I'm ordering Alla Prima and Harold Speed's book on painting soon, hoping they'll help me out some more.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Yeah that's basically it. Alla Prima is a great book.

• Options
    I did my best at one of those Umber Pickouts. This is actually my second go since i didn't know that these things dry in a day. (must be the terp..).
    Original by Sargent:
    sargent.jpg
    My Attempt:
    umberpickout.jpg
    It was a lot of fun to do, but it is terribly frustrating how inaccurate a cloth can get for highlighting. Looking forward to giving this another go though before moving on. Does it look like i'm doing it kinda right? (the umber pick out thing)

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Looks like you've got the right idea. :^:
    Burnt umber just dries quicker than most other pigments (I don't know why that is).

Also you can use a q-tip or a kneaded rubber eraser to get more finely detailed with the highlighting.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Okay, in the past month i've more than about doubled the number of oil paintings i've done in my lifetime.
    I also took a hint from Gurney and tried to photograph them outside; major improvement in color, so i've re-uploading the one i did previously:

EmilySargent.jpg
    And another Sargent study:
    sargent2.jpg

Plus two painted from life:
    modelprofiel.jpg
    I kinda like this one:
    modelzit.jpg

I'd love to do more of these burn umber pickouts, but my model painting instructor is really pressuring me into using more color. So i did some burn umber/ deep ultramarine, but she wants to see more color next time. I see if i can hold her off with a Zorn Palette.

Any advice on these? I'm reading Color and Light right now to prepare me a bit for colored panting. The book Alla Prima is on its way, but will take some time.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    No advice from me, but I like seeing more painting 'round 'ere. (Yours are good too).

• Options
    You can use Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine and White as a limited palette. I would continue to try to limit yourself as much as possible.

For example I painting I did with that palette:
    1056.jpg

• Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    I wouldn't let your teacher pressure you. Any fine instructor would be encouraging of developing your value sense with a restricted palette first. If it's good enough for *any famous art teacher* it should be good enough for them.

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    I guess she just likes brightly colored paintings because she's dutch. She's quite good at painting and the only reason why i'd give in is my own cursed politeness. I think i'll just try and talk to her. I did the "do whatever you like" drawing classes for four years and learned heaps about composition etc, but now i just want to improve the real basics.

cake, i'll try that palette out if i can find the paints by the next lesson. I'm really still searching how to work with this alla prima style. finding it hard to do corrections without getting all blendy. Do you usually do pencil sketches on the canvas for these paintings? I just did some rough lines with the side of my brush on these.

• Options
    This is me using Burnt Umber, White and Ultramarine Deep.
    modelzit2.jpg
    There appear to be 50 new ways to mess up your painting each time you add a color.
    slouch.jpg
    The SECOND i declared this one to be finished (2 hrs were up) i immediately noticed her horrible proportions and quasimodo-like posture : / At one point i had the cloth down in a painterly feel, but after the model's break i went all blendy on it and faceplanted trying to fix it.

• Options
    WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    The very first one of the lady topless was exceptionally good and not just because she was topless either.

• Options
    Thanks Warpony, i'm glad with how that turned out too. Couldn't have done it without Scosglen's awesome paintover though.

• Options
    edited February 2018

The_Glad_Hatter on