Options

[Fly On] DCS A-10C / DCS Black Shark 2 / LOMAC: FC3 - Join us in the skies

13334353638

Posts

  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I was watching the video again and realized something. Nobody makes a controller for helicopters do they? Is there a way to use the throttle as a collective?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Nothing designed for gaming. There are some professional solutions... that naturally cost a fortune and people have modified existing sticks to function like helicopter controls. There are some youtubes over on ed's forum that show how to modify a logitech stick and I think I saw one for modifying 2 MSFFB2s but I think hat was just the cyclic anyways.

    Edit: Errmmm... if you just mean map the throttle to collective, ya it's just a analog axis. If your talking about the twist throttle on the collective handle. It's not really critical. In normal operations you'll just have it up to full where it will be controlled by the governor. Would only have to adjust it in emergency situations.

    Here's another video:) Last one I'll post:D I broke the wing:D

    striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I was asking about both commercial rigs and the twist throttle. Did some research on governors and found out that the new fangled systems automate the throttle. Wow, never knew that. So guessing that I can use my warthog to try and fly the huey. Wait I mean not fly it since I'm NOT going to buy it.
    Thanks for the info and adding to my desire to buy this.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I was asking about both commercial rigs and the twist throttle. Did some research on governors and found out that the new fangled systems automate the throttle. Wow, never knew that. So guessing that I can use my warthog to try and fly the huey. Wait I mean not fly it since I'm NOT going to buy it.
    Thanks for the info and adding to my desire to buy this.

    My father in law was a medivac pilot in both Vietnam and Desert Storm. I'll get the module just to get an idea of what it was like to fly those. I'd like to think he'd be interested in it, but he's never shown interest when I had A-10C running when he was over. I'm sure he just thinks "computer games".

  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    "Oh, DCS you say... yeah I guess that's alright... if you like baby toys."

  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I was asking about both commercial rigs and the twist throttle. Did some research on governors and found out that the new fangled systems automate the throttle. Wow, never knew that. So guessing that I can use my warthog to try and fly the huey. Wait I mean not fly it since I'm NOT going to buy it.
    Thanks for the info and adding to my desire to buy this.

    My father in law was a medivac pilot in both Vietnam and Desert Storm. I'll get the module just to get an idea of what it was like to fly those. I'd like to think he'd be interested in it, but he's never shown interest when I had A-10C running when he was over. I'm sure he just thinks "computer games".

    Those guys are awesome. Always admired the medivacs since they were always at air shows talking to guests when I was younger. So whenever I used to see them flying over my house I would remember them and considered them the coolest given what they did.

    That was till I met the warthog at one air show...

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ya the hog will work. Stock it's not a great stick for helicopters though. I love it all things fixed but too stiff for helis. Extension mod or big spring removal mod would probably make it one of the better ones for helis too though just laking FFB.

    striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    SUFFER! Everyone must suffer! mwwaahahahahaha.....
    and blame carcass:P

    fnnnnnnARRRRRRRRRGH!

    Oh that's just unsporting. How are we supposed to hold out against that?

  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    striderjg wrote: »
    Nothing designed for gaming. There are some professional solutions... that naturally cost a fortune and people have modified existing sticks to function like helicopter controls. There are some youtubes over on ed's forum that show how to modify a logitech stick and I think I saw one for modifying 2 MSFFB2s but I think hat was just the cyclic anyways.

    What I do (with Arma helos) is to map the throttle axis (on my Pro Throttle) backwards, i.e. pulling the throttle towards you=increasing collective. That SEEMS more "realistic", but of course nobody's ever let me fly a real helo so what would I know:)

    Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    That's what I did with my throttle as well, when flying helicopters.

  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't do that. I have to keep it "push forward = increase collective". That's just how my mind works. "THERE'S THE GROUND, HOLY SHIT, FULL THROTTLE".

    I think I posted somewhere in this thread a gif of something someone made that was basically a PVC collective attached to a HOTAS throttle.

  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    SUFFER! Everyone must suffer! mwwaahahahahaha.....
    and blame carcass:P

    fnnnnnnARRRRRRRRRGH!

    Oh that's just unsporting. How are we supposed to hold out against that?
    Sporting?... *phhhsssshhh* that isn't conducive to winning.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, now I'm definitely going to have to buy this to try out which way I'd react. How much are we talking about?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok, now I'm definitely going to have to buy this to try out which way I'd react. How much are we talking about?

    The Huey module? The pre-order is $50. Though supposedly it also comes with a campaign.

  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Ya, there's a campaign. I haven't tried it yet, but the trailers for it looked really good. You're flying with the UN in the camp. which I thought was a neat angle.

    http://youtu.be/u74-MQnb-pQ

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hmmm ok thanks. Might pick it up when I sell my Saitek.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    u might want the saitek stick if you rnt modding ur hog. It honestly stock is not a heli stick.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Ya, there's a campaign. I haven't tried it yet, but the trailers for it looked really good. You're flying with the UN in the camp. which I thought was a neat angle.

    http://youtu.be/u74-MQnb-pQ
    Everybody's got their breaking point, and this, apparently, is mine. I am buying this five minutes ago.
    Well played, sir.

  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    First things first, thinks I, let's do the engine startup lesson.
    ...OK, that went reasonably well, let's fly around the airbase a bit.
    ...Doing OK, better than expected. Feels a bit twitchy but plausibly so. Confidence rising...
    ...Alright let's try putting this beast down again. How hard can it be? Gently does i---

    Oh.
    Screen_130505_114026_zps18f69335.jpg
    I especially like the "Well done!"

  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    haha, ya what probably did you in is the same thing I'm working on. If you check my day 2 videos I mention it in both of them as it almost lead to the same outcome as your screenie. Coming out of Effective Translational Lift. Really gotta pull on the power and feed in left pedal.

    striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    So, I finished up REAMDE while my computer was apart for a few days and so was able to start Chickenhawk while having my coffee this morning. Just into the first chapter so far (his army helicopter training) but it's looking like it's gonna be a fun read and it's really interesting being able to relate to some of his experiences just from DCS:) If your interested in the Huey, helicopters or the Vietnam conflict even as early as I am into it, I would recommend.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    So, I finished up REAMDE while my computer was apart for a few days and so was able to start Chickenhawk while having my coffee this morning. Just into the first chapter so far (his army helicopter training) but it's looking like it's gonna be a fun read and it's really interesting being able to relate to some of his experiences just from DCS:) If your interested in the Huey, helicopters or the Vietnam conflict even as early as I am into it, I would recommend.

    That brings back memories! I think I was in junior high when I read it.
    ...aaand just got it off Google Books. Every bit as good as I remember! Thanks for reminding me of this.

  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Did everyone see this?

    "DCS Summer Sale - Next Week

    Starting the 20th of June, we will offer massive 60% off sale of DCS products. The exception will be Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 having a 40% off sale. The sale will last until the 30th of June:

    DCS: UH-1H Huey - $19.99
    DCS: Combined Arms – $11.99
    DCS: P-51D Mustang – $15.99
    DCS: Black Shark 2 - $15.99
    DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade – $11.99
    DCS: A-10C Warthog – $15.99
    DCS: A-10C Warthog 1.1.0.7 (English DVD box) – $15.99
    DCS: Black Shark (DVD box) – $15.99
    Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 – $29.99
    DCS: Black Shark – $7.99"

    Def picking up the Huey, BS2 upgrade (if I don't already have it..) and LOMAC3.

  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Oh man I may have to grab Huey and Combined Arms when that hits.

  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Huey and Lomac 3 for me

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I haven't heard good things about Combined Arms yet, so I may wait a bit. Very stoked for LOMAC though. I'll probably be playing DCS a bunch once the sale drops, so I'll organize some online games for anyone interested. I'm most interested in doing some more A-10 stuff and probably LOMAC so we can fly the Su-25. Or maybe some actual fast planes :)

  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Haven't heard good things as in it's silent on that front or haven't heard good things as in, "this is the crappiest crap?"

    And depending on where my money is at, LOMAC 3 is a possibility.

  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I forget all the technicalities with BS2. If I bought BS on Steam, I get the Upgrade for BS2, right? Otherwise it's the regular BS2 price?

  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The BS2 update works fine with the Steam release of Black Shark.

  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    @Drake - The consensus over at SA seems to be that it's worth about $5. Seems cool at first, but then you realize it has no depth, etc. Just opinions, but they were strong enough to make me want to get more things to fly, rather than spend money on Combined Arms at the moment.

  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    The BS2 update works fine with the Steam release of Black Shark.

    You do have to have it installed (and have run it once) when you try to install the upgrade. After that, you can remove it.

  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Anyone know if I need to uninstall an old version of DCS World, before installing the new one? I'm going from 1.2.0 (pre-autoupdater) to the current one. I'm slowly downloading the shit now.

  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Anyone know if I need to uninstall an old version of DCS World, before installing the new one? I'm going from 1.2.0 (pre-autoupdater) to the current one. I'm slowly downloading the shit now.

    Pretty sure, yeah. I think it uses a different file format or something.

  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I was real stoked to play some DCS last night after work, but it went more like this: download DCS World for an hour, uninstall/reinstall, setup hotas/pedals, load up a free flight mission, go through start up - only to find out all my key bindings were gone, remember how to reload my bindings, add pinky switch as modifier key so the bindings were legit, load up free flight mission, go through start-up procedure, start to move and realize my pedals weren't actually connected, roll onto the grass and get stuck, goto bed.

    Ahh.. the life of a flight simmer haha. I'm happy to have worked all the kinks out though. I'll be flying around again soon. I think I want to play some FSX with Air Hauler installed too. Deliver some goods around the world.

    krylon666 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I was real stoked to play some DCS last night after work, but it went more like this: download DCS World for an hour, uninstall/reinstall, setup hotas/pedals, load up a free flight mission, go through start up - only to find out all my key bindings were gone, remember how to reload my bindings, add pinky switch as modifier key so the bindings were legit, load up free flight mission, go through start-up procedure, start to move and realize my pedals weren't actually connected, roll onto the grass and get stuck, goto bed.

    Ahh.. the life of a flight simmer haha. I'm happy to have worked all the kinks out though. I'll be flying around again soon. I think I want to play some FSX with Air Hauler installed too. Deliver some goods around the world.
    Come on, this is not Ace Combat, you're not supposed to have fun!!! :bz

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I just got gifted a copy of IL-2 CoD. (thanks again, handgimp!) Anything I need to know about it at this point? Any recommended mods or fan patches or anything?

  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I don't believe so, for Cliffs of Dover. I know there is a huge fan patch for the regular IL-2 sim, but I don't believe there's anything like that for CoD.

  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    So it looks like all the DCS series are now (back) on steam. I wonder if it's possible to migrate keys to it.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So it looks like all the DCS series are now (back) on steam. I wonder if it's possible to migrate keys to it.

    I hear that's the intent.

  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So it looks like all the DCS series are now (back) on steam. I wonder if it's possible to migrate keys to it.

    I hear that's the intent.

    Yeah, my quick research showed the answer was "not yet." But being available on steam is nice, assuming they continue to support it unlike last time.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Sign In or Register to comment.