As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The _third_ PSN down thread. Freebies are up. Problems? Check the OP.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So if the store is infinitely postponed, does that mean we never get games? Sounds like a good deal for Sony!

Promise to deliver goods; never deliver goods.

Whoa there. Nobody has said that the store is "infinitely postponed." Right now they're saying it will be back up by the end of May. Sony is not about to shoot itself in the foot (again) by not bringing the store back up. They make money from it, it's in their best interest to have the service available.

In short - Chill.

Woah, I wasn't saying anyone was saying it. I was just speculating humorously (I thought :().

I just thought it would be a nice and easy way out for them, like Duke Nukem Forever. Just keep the promises coming and the content at bay, and everyone will fill with anticipation.

EDIT: Woah, you guys are touchy!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So if the store is infinitely postponed, does that mean we never get games? Sounds like a good deal for Sony!

Whoa there. Nobody has said that the store is "infinitely postponed." Right now they're saying it will be back up by the end of May. Sony is not about to shoot itself in the foot (again) by not bringing the store back up. They make money from it, it's in their best interest to have the service available.

In short - Chill.

Woah, I wasn't saying anyone was saying it. I was just speculating humorously (I thought :().

I just thought it would be a nice and easy way out for them, like Duke Nukem Forever. Just keep the promises coming and the content at bay, and everyone will fill with anticipation.

I think it's becoming more and more difficult to tell the jokes from the trolls in this thread...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've edited my post to clarify.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

In short - Chill.

i for one read it as humorous joking and was confused why everyone was getting so pissed.....

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WARNING: SARCSM

WARNING: SARCASM

Man, they'd never do that. Just chill out.
    I'm assuming SARCSM stands for: Sony Are Really Closing the Store Man

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's becoming more and more difficult to tell the jokes from the trolls in this thread...

In my defense, there are people who would post something like that and sincerely believe it to be a possibility. There are fine lines that separate jokers, trolls, and genuine morons.

Dirty on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »
    And also, Sony never said the store was going to be back up the 24th. That was just internet rumors. They have said it will be back up by the end of the month though. So if we don't see it by the 31st then there might be some reason for concern.

They never officially announced it, but they did tell developers they were shooting for the 24th. So it sounds like things did get pushed back. Then again things get pushed back in the tech world all the time, so this isn't really cause for concern yet.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think those "Warning: Sarcasm" labels should be mandatory in this thread from now on. Also, "Warning: Cynicism" and "Warning: Troll". On the plus side, if we get the bugs worked out of that last one, we can sell it to every other website on the internet and all retire.

edit: The internets tell me that Sony Ericsson Canada just got pwned, losing emails, names, and encrypted passwords.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the XBox Marketplace is gone. XBLA, XBLIG, Games on Demand, Demos, they're all gone.

Hopefully this is just a temporary outtage and not a sign that the PSN hackers have moved on to bigger things.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Do you think everyone's bosses/parents/etc got together and hired Anonymous to destroy video games?

Maybe it is the end of the world.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kirbith wrote: »
    And also, Sony never said the store was going to be back up the 24th. That was just internet rumors. They have said it will be back up by the end of the month though. So if we don't see it by the 31st then there might be some reason for concern.

They never officially announced it, but they did tell developers they were shooting for the 24th. So it sounds like things did get pushed back. Then again things get pushed back in the tech world all the time, so this isn't really cause for concern yet.

Yea, I'd be more inclined to be worried about it if they had said to everyone "hey guys, it will be back for sure the 24th" and then didn't follow through. I think they were hoping for the 24th and wanted to get developers on board, because it's gotta suck for those indie developers who put out digital content only. But at least at this point they haven't broken their word to consumers as to when the store will be back.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    TerminaTermina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But at least at this point they haven't broken their word to consumers as to when the store will be back.

No, they just broke their word (several times) as to when PSN itself would be up and then broke their word to developers. :P

Termina on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you think everyone's bosses/parents/etc got together and hired Anonymous to destroy video games?

It's like the plot of Kids Next Door but with Gamers instead of kids.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It really wouldn't shock me if the hacking community, drunk with power and success after PSN got brought down, are still excited and want to see what else they can break.

Or maybe it's a weird coincidence. Sometimes those happen.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's open season on Sony!

urahonky on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    This has gone beyond lolsony, beyond wtfsony.

It's gone into capital letters. WHAT THE HELL?

Lolken on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    RE: Xbox marketplace.

"The Marketplace issues are related to an internal operational error - sorry for the inconvenience. We are working to resolve ASAP." - Major Nelson.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Helios127Helios127 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus christ sony.This is the third, forth time you have been hacked in only a few months.

I dont know about you but I think its clear that sony is facing a bunch of angsty scriptkiddie hipsters. And still loosing.

SONY ITS NO WONDER YOUR LOOSING THE CONSOLE WARS

Helios127 on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My security buddy, who knows that I game and was affected by the PSN outage, keeps sending me every link to Sony getting breached/hacked. He went from commenting sadly about the situation in the first few e-mails he sent me, to a now tongue-in-cheek short quip in the subject line and a link to whatever breach/hack has happened now.

He's just awed that Sony is being beaten like a piñata right now. His theory is that this is just a scavenger pack VS dying animal right now. And those scavengers are just slavering at the thought that they can help bring down this giant and get a piece of it. Obviously that's a bit sensational, but it's starting to sound appropriate...

E: By the way, in regards to LOL SONY LOSING CONSOLE WARS...you do realize that these latest hacks have been on completely separate divisions within Sony? While, yes, it affects Sony as a whole indirectly (depending on how fiscally independent the divisions are), a breach on Sony-Ericsson doesn't directly hit the other divisions. Although Sony's name is seriously being drug through the mud.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    To paraphrase Yahtzee, Sony's security has more holes than a hooker in Whitechapel during 1888.

Lolken on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

At least for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo's E3 presser will open with Reggie saying, "LOOK BITCHES, FRIEND CODES AIN'T SO BAD NOW, ARE THEY?!?!"

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oooh, got this little gem in e-mail this morning:
    Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ Customers

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders in the United States who are concerned about identity theft.

AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators.

Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll. In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011.

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at:

us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Please note, you must enter the same email address used to register your PlayStation®Network or Qriocity account. Once your email address is validated, you will be sent your AllClear ID PLUS activation code.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment & Sony Network Entertainment

The awesome thing is that link where you "submit your e-mail address" is actually not as displayed. It looks like this (with some codes removed):

playstation-email.com/<promo codes, related services, and my e-mail address embedded>

It looks legit (as in the domain is an outsourced 3rd party that contracts for SCEA), but man, I really hate it when people spoof links in e-mails since it always raises a red flag for me.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure Sony was out sick on the day they taught "Not making your mass emails look like a low-budget phishing attempt" in marketing school. I run into this problem with damn near everything they send me.

At least that isn't one of the innovyx ones.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure Sony was out sick on the day they taught "Not making your mass emails look like a low-budget phishing attempt" in marketing school. I run into this problem with damn near everything they send me.

It is Innovyx that "owns" playstation-email.com.

E: I mean, damn, maybe try to create a standard FROM: e-mail address instead of some random crap that's been outputted like this one was: 1665589-0033255572z @ playstation-email.com

EE: Grrr auto [email] tagging![/email]

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

It is Innovyx that "owns" playstation-email.com.

IIRC, Sony owns Innovyx, or at the very least subs out a large chunk of their mass mailing to them. But one of their mass emails came directly from innovyx.com I think, which was a big ol' red flag when I got it, what with having a whole lot of nothing overtly to do with Sony.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lunker wrote: »

At least for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo's E3 presser will open with Reggie saying, "LOOK BITCHES, FRIEND CODES AIN'T SO BAD NOW, ARE THEY?!?!"

Microsoft? I was not aware of any current woes beyond the standard rrod and all that. Please fill me in.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

Microsoft? I was not aware of any current woes beyond the standard rrod and all that. Please fill me in.

Go back one page.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apparently the marketplace is back up on the 360 (although it's still down on xbox.com).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

It does seem like Harold Camping is in charge of providing dates for the return of various Sony services. Maybe he moonlights for them.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For those interested, here's a little blog post from HP that is going over the Sony piñata, the escalation paths and possible outcomes.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ps34koma.jpg

Just putting this here. Because it should be in every thread. A synopsis is important, after all.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That comic was a little disturbing, but I still laughed. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, it's certainly been an ordeal trying to back up my PS3 files, that's for sure.

First, I went to Best Buy to grab a WD Passport Essential.

Then I learned that the Passport needed to be formatted to FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize it.

Then I learned that the PS3 can't properly power the Passport on its own, and that I needed a powered USB Hub.

Then I went to Radio Shack to get the Hub.

Now the PS3 does read the Passport, and I tested it by successfully copying a video and game save to it.

But then I kept getting "Operation Cannot Be Completed" messages when I start the backup process.

So then I read that methods to fix this error involve taking out all other USB devices from the PS3, disable the network, and remove the notification message.

Now it's at 1%, with an ETA of 3 hours to back it all up.

I'll just be happy when this shit gets copied successfully. And I still have a 2TB hard drive to install in my PC next....

Was this really what they had in mind with this backup feature, going through all these hoops?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Has there been any reports of GameStop and other pawn stores seeing an increase in PS hardware trade-ins?

I actually bought a PS3 because they were $100 off at GameStop, lol. Needed a Blu-Ray player!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, it's certainly been an ordeal trying to back up my PS3 files, that's for sure.

First, I went to Best Buy to grab a WD Passport Essential.

Then I learned that the Passport needed to be formatted to FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize it.

Then I learned that the PS3 can't properly power the Passport on its own, and that I needed a powered USB Hub.

Then I went to Radio Shack to get the Hub.

Now the PS3 does read the Passport, and I tested it by successfully copying a video and game save to it.

But then I kept getting "Operation Cannot Be Completed" messages when I start the backup process.

So then I read that methods to fix this error involve taking out all other USB devices from the PS3, disable the network, and remove the notification message.

Now it's at 1%, with an ETA of 3 hours to back it all up.

I'll just be happy when this shit gets copied successfully. And I still have a 2TB hard drive to install in my PC next....

Was this really what they had in mind with this backup feature, going through all these hoops?

I'd say that 80% of the "difficulty" you are having is due to trying to fit the process into a different paradigm. I found it exceptionally easy to upgrade the 60GB hard drive in my "fat" PS3 to 500GB. Of course, I already had a self-powered 160GB USB drive pre-formatted to FAT32 sitting around and it was literally plug-and-play, backup, swap, restore.

Upgrading hard drives in my NAS fileserver was much more complicated.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man. I thought for a second I was in the awful web comics thread.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For a second I thought I was looking at a Mistakes of Youth comic, and if that was the case I'd just have to kill myself right now.

So what's up with the identity protection discussed earlier? It's legit right? Because what with all the e-mails leaked I'm having a hard time trusting Sony e-mails now that ask for my e-mail. Although actually I changed my e-mail due to the web address exploit, so if it went to that address I guess it's safe.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The backup finally finished, but is there a way to double-check that it saved everything (most importantly, my game saves)? I'm looking at it on my PC, and all it has in the backup folder are archive.dat extensions.

Once I swap drives, will I lose my stuff if I put back in the original drive?

Professor Snugglesworth on