As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Locke & Key

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I cant even find clockworks around here.

Not that I can budget it anyway but...

It would be nice to read :S

Course I had to drive 30 minutes to buy the Scott Pilgrim books before the movie came out, now you see them everywhere.

So obviously we need a series of locke and key movies.

don't think that will happen anytime soon. the TV show wasn't around for very long. which is sad. but as far as finding clockworks, could always get it digitally from Comixology

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I lurk here sometimes. Finished Omega #1 last week and have spoiler-filled questions for y'all.
    Do you think the two rats in the caves are previously-introduced characters that used the Animal Key? They're so humanized. The pudgy one looks like Mark Cho. I can't decide who the other one looks like--at one point I thought maybe Sam Lesser, they have similar hair, kinda. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I went back and compared the two Omega rats to the one that climbed Jamal's arm and made the catwalk fall down when Kinsey & Co. were in the drowning caves, but they don't look anything alike. I'm convinced those two Omega rats are a clue.

Also, it looks like Erin Voss--as a teenager--shows up in one of the crowd shots that Scot is filming just prior to seeing the destruction of the lighthouse. Same headband. Face looks spot-on. Could this be another memory running around? Although that wouldn't explain why she's full-size, not small like a normal Head Key-extracted memory.

Okay, I'm obviously a bit obsessed with Locke & Key. It's so freakin' good.

I wouldn't think too much on similar looking characters in the comic. Designs get reused a lot for throwaway background characters.

The scene where Sam busts out in volume 1 involves a dude who looks just like Rendel Locke with a generic working-class hat on.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2012
    tehjester wrote: »

Course I had to drive 30 minutes to buy the Scott Pilgrim books before the movie came out, now you see them everywhere.

don't think that will happen anytime soon. the TV show wasn't around for very long. which is sad. but as far as finding clockworks, could always get it digitally from Comixology

One, the TV show didn't even happen. It got cancelled before the pilot hit TV.

Second, a film trilogy seems to already be in the works.

http://io9.com/5957862/roberto-orci-confirms-the-locke--key-movie-trilogy

Frankly it would adapt far better as a series of movies, preferably 2 volumes to each film, whereas a TV series would have had to drag out all of the story material pretty far to fit into a decent length TV show.

Goatmon on

• Options
    I just noticed something neat after re-rereading clockworks.

In issue 2,
    the guardian in Tyler's head, the one that keeps Tyler going in spite of everything, is his dad's fisherman's hat.

That is so cool.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Frankly it would adapt far better as a series of movies, preferably 2 volumes to each film, whereas a TV series would have had to drag out all of the story material pretty far to fit into a decent length TV show.
    That is awesome and glad they are giving it more than one film. I liked the scott pilgrim movie but it felt rushed as hell all crammed into one movie.

Just to mark my calander for 5 years in the future when they finally come out :D (maybe not literally that long but it always feels like movies take forever to come out.)

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

A BBC style series of 10-12 episodes per series could do it best IMO.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Do you realize that the 1 hour pilot was basically the entire first volume?

It doesn't work with a decent number of episodes unless you really slow the pacing down. And no one wants that.

Goatmon on

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do you realize that the 1 hour pilot was basically the entire first volume?

It doesn't work with a decent number of episodes unless you really slow the pacing down. And no one wants that.

They would have options to extend some stuff, but I 'd worry about balancing the pacing too.

Mostly the few issues in book 3-4 where
    it's just page after page of a new key + new threat then moved on.

But man, I'm happy for anything to come out now, I was so sad when pilot came and went. People need to stop pitching stuff to Fox unless it's pointless reality TV , that's all they keep anymore.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Wow.
    -It's hard not to suspect that the gender swap key is going to be used with regards to a certain pair of characters.

-I'm generally not really a fan of Rufus, but I really felt for him this issue.

-"White. White. It's white. It's -- Dodge? Stop. Stop. Stop. Dodge." I may have misted up a little.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Holy shit. Go Rufus!

Goatmon on

• Options
    Go Squadron Strange,

and @ Shadowhope , for you key prediction
    Scott Kavanaugh and his GF?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Go Squadron Strange,

Yep.

The odds of that set-up not being used, given that the key exists... I just don't see how it'll be used, unless it's by accident in a 'running through the house, trying to get away from something' situation.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Just read Omega #3.

FUCK
    FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this has been posted right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHSwYUBsiVM

skip to 1:33 for a young Joe Hill!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Go Squadron Strange,

Yep.

The odds of that set-up not being used, given that the key exists... I just don't see how it'll be used, unless it's by accident in a 'running through the house, trying to get away from something' situation.

Given that

(Latest issue spoilers)
    Half the damn school seems to be having a party in the cave, that isn't at all implausible at this point.

Goatmon on

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is amazing. I hate to buy it on amazon, but I can't find Clockworks anywhere.

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    New Issue! Fucking intense.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The new issue isn't showing up on Comixology.

Do you know how this makes me feel?

I feel like one of those demon things, trapped behind the door.

The world should tremble.

Edit: WTH? Available from their web site, not the iPad app. Hmph. Well, time to catch up.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    i don't know how many of your are slaves to your comixology pull list like i am. fyi: just like the past arcs, alpha is a separate subscription.

• Options
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i don't know how many of your are slaves to your comixology pull list like i am. fyi: just like the past arcs, alpha is a separate subscription.

I have mine hard copy, but now I wonder if my LCS knows this also ( they barely deal in comics anymore, and do a pull list for me mostly cause I've been there forever)

Alpha is post Omega right? or does it run alongside the last 2 of Omega?

• Options
    i assume it's after. i haven't looked that far in to it. i was kind of disappointed when i got to the end of the last issue and saw the ad for alpha. i knew something similar was bound to happen; but, i didn't want to see it yet.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Alpha is the final two issues

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Omega was going to be 7 issues, but they made the last two issues oversized and called it Alpha instead.

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    but... but... i don't want it to end!

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    but... but... i don't want it to end!

I don't want it to end, but at the same time I need the ending with every fiber of my being right now!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Interesting tidbit from Hill's N0S4R2:
    Keyhouse is name dropped, along with a few other magical places from Hill's existing books and some that are probably references to future work. Looks like he is planning to join his father in making his works all part of a shared universe.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Holy shit, Omega #5.

God, this issue has everything.

Just one holy shit moment after another.
    Scot and Jackie, noooooooo

Tyler finally getting to talk to Dad was great, and a nice way to slow things down a little and let everything else sink in.

Also, apparently it's not impossible to cure someone of being possessed? Sort of?

Man, I really hope so.

Goatmon on

• Options
    I'm dying to know what
    The Alpha Key will be ( guessing that's what the name of the key Tyler made is)

• Options
    jackbotjackbot Registered User regular
    I lurk here sometimes. Finished Omega #1 last week and have spoiler-filled questions for y'all.
    Do you think the two rats in the caves are previously-introduced characters that used the Animal Key? They're so humanized. The pudgy one looks like Mark Cho. I can't decide who the other one looks like--at one point I thought maybe Sam Lesser, they have similar hair, kinda. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I went back and compared the two Omega rats to the one that climbed Jamal's arm and made the catwalk fall down when Kinsey & Co. were in the drowning caves, but they don't look anything alike. I'm convinced those two Omega rats are a clue.

Also, it looks like Erin Voss--as a teenager--shows up in one of the crowd shots that Scot is filming just prior to seeing the destruction of the lighthouse. Same headband. Face looks spot-on. Could this be another memory running around? Although that wouldn't explain why she's full-size, not small like a normal Head Key-extracted memory.

Okay, I'm obviously a bit obsessed with Locke & Key. It's so freakin' good.

I wouldn't think too much on similar looking characters in the comic. Designs get reused a lot for throwaway background characters.

The scene where Sam busts out in volume 1 involves a dude who looks just like Rendel Locke with a generic working-class hat on.

tehjester,

My friends and I have actually gotten into a debate about characters looking too similar for that reason. One friend thinks Dodge and Nina (the mother) are related because they look the same. I can't convince him that Rodriguez's only has so many character looks in his wheelhouse. When I read the first volume I thought Sam looked almost identical to Randolph Jaffe in The Great and Secret Show graphic novel he illustrated.

• Options
    I'm dying to know what
    The Alpha Key will be ( guessing that's what the name of the key Tyler made is)

I'm guessing it does something along the lines of taking the demon out of people. Maybe by opening them up, similar to the head key, but their souls opening rather than their minds. Once they're open, pluck out the demon/key. I imagine it'd hurt really bad, for everyone involved.

• Options
    AnsuzAnsuz Registered User regular
    I just really gotten into this series in the last week or so and I've already read through all of the collections and one-shots, can't wait to see how Omega ends. While looking around for replica key props online I noticed that Skeleton Crew Studio already has a prop of the "next key" (I don't want to get in trouble with those who aren't caught up yet) up for pre-order. Check it out here if you want to at least see what it'll look like, no info about its use is given.
    Unfortunately their Anywhere Key replica seems to be perpetually sold out. That's the one I'm really looking to get.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    This past Monday my wife and I were flying back from San Diego and I was pulled aside in the airport security line. There was something in my shoulder bag that was perplexing them. They ran it through the xray machine three times with a bigger crowd each time watching. Then they brought me over to watch as they emptied it out . I kept trying to think what it was that was throwing them off. I did have a mess of wires in there. Various charge cables from our trip. Was it the weird ceramic plates we'd bought may they had some kind of metal in them....

They don't find anything so run it through the x-ray again with it pretty much emptied out. Then someone else comes over and starts feeling through it until they find a hard object in there. But it doesn't seem to be in any of the various pockets. So finally I agree to let them just cut it out. Getting really weirded out the longer this goes on.
    Once they make a cut in the lining they pull out this shiny golden piece of metal and my wife and I bust up laughing. It's the replica Hercules key I'd lost ages ago. She'd already bought me a replacement one a birthday or two ago. I never could figure out what had happened to it. I'd always assumed I'd left the zippered pocket in the bag open and it had fallen out. Instead it made its way deep into the lining of this bag. We then had to explain what the hell it was to the security staff. It probably doesnt help that it's essentially sword shaped although small. Also that bag had gone through airport security probably 6 times before since that key went missing.

• Options
    arinyaarinya Registered User regular
    OH man! Finally! Other peeps that are in to the series. Most ppl online are not really into the series and it's sad because it's one of the best stories happening in comics and it's about to end! =(

• Options
    arinya wrote: »
    OH man! Finally! Other peeps that are in to the series. Most ppl online are not really into the series and it's sad because it's one of the best stories happening in comics and it's about to end! =(

Ya it's a weird mixed feeling, on one hand I don't want it to end, but on the other hand, I need to know the ending SO bad

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    When is the next trade out?

Will the one offs get their own trade at all?

• Options
    arinyaarinya Registered User regular

Ya it's a weird mixed feeling, on one hand I don't want it to end, but on the other hand, I need to know the ending SO bad

Well it's been going on for so long...we need closure! I was reading the first volume again and I forgot. What happened to Lesser...I kinda want him to come back. He was a screwed up character but you kinda feel sorry for him. He's basically been an abused individual all his life. Hill knows how to write some great characters! Man I'm gonna miss the Joe and Rodriguez collaboration when this is over. =(

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Closure delayed...blah

From IDW publishing
    Locke & Key: Alpha #1 will be out on 9/11/13. Sorry for the delay, but this is one that couldn't be rushed. Perfection takes time.

It seemed a bit odd Joe Hill wasn't talking it up. Usually he brings it up when a new issue is imminent.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Now it will never be released, because I am going to cause the apocalypse now!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Picked up the first trade pretty much blind due to this thread and its combination of enthusiasm, dread and intriguing looking spoiler tags.

That was certainly intense.

Looks like I've got a new set of trades to slowly pick up. No rush though. I don't think I could take too much of that at once!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    nnnnnggg alpha

also, wraith is up for pulling on comixology, for those that read NOS4A2